American Mono/Poly voltage

  • Ethan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
      Hi guys,

      I recently brought my American Mono/Poly to Europe. Thanks to the guys here who recommended double boxing- it seems to have made it securely!

      Here's my question- my Mono/Poly has an American plug and we use a different voltage standard. Can I plug it in with an adapter in Europe or will I fry it?
    • iscrites
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
        You need a step-down converter that converts 230v to 110v otherwise you will fry it.
        They are quite cheap, you don't need more than 100w if you will solely plug the mono/poly on it.
        It plug with european plug to the power socket and has an american socket on it for you to plug your device.

        Another solution if you stay there for a long time is to replace the power transformer in the mono/poly with a 230v equivalent (I think something like 2x18v 35VA), it would be the best solution.

        > Here's my question- my Mono/Poly has an American plug and we use a different voltage standard. Can I plug it in with an adapter in Europe or will I fry it?

      • Chris Wareham
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
          Ethan said on 25/02/13 21:12:
          > Hi guys,
          >
          > I recently brought my American Mono/Poly to Europe. Thanks to the guys here who recommended double boxing- it seems to have made it securely!
          >
          > Here's my question- my Mono/Poly has an American plug and we use a different voltage standard. Can I plug it in with an adapter in Europe or will I fry it?

          You'll fry it if you connect it directly to European mains voltage!

          What you need is a step down transformer. In the UK, Maplins stock them:

          http://www.maplin.co.uk/45w-uk-to-usa-voltage-convertor-19413
          http://www.maplin.co.uk/100w-uk-to-usa-voltage-convertor-31899

          I've used both of these on drum synthesisers bought from the States,
          and they worked fine.

          Regards,

          Chris
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
            Hello Ethan,

            I think it depends on how long you want to stay here, and how much other
            US-gear you want to use. If you have only the Monopoly it might be worth
            to replace the US-transformer with an 230V transformer.

            If you have other gear too, then a larger stepdown transformer might be
            useful.

            Florian

            Ethan wrote:
            > Hi guys,
            >
            > I recently brought my American Mono/Poly to Europe. Thanks to the guys here who recommended double boxing- it seems to have made it securely!
            >
            > Here's my question- my Mono/Poly has an American plug and we use a different voltage standard. Can I plug it in with an adapter in Europe or will I fry it?

          • Dave Manley
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013

              Sometimes 3dB is really important :-)

              P.S. some of the mods suggested recently look very interesting - if only there were more hours in a day...

            • Ethan Turbek
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6, 2013
                Thanks a lot for the replies guys!

                I originally ordered a 150w converter but unfortunately it's out of stock and the order was cancelled.

                I will only be running an EQ unit and the Mono/Poly with the converter. In the Korg manual the power consumption is listed as 28W and the EQ Transformer says 18W. Should a 100W converter be sufficient to run both devices?

                Thanks!
                Ethan