modulation expansion kit for the korg mono/poly

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
      Hi guys.

      I'm currently developing kit ideas and the first one is for the Korg monopoly. I wanted to gauge what interest if any there would be in a kit which offers the following features.

      1: New LFO1 shapes
      S/H and S/Glide clocked from MG1 and MG2
      Brown noise with lowpass.
      Lowpass can also effect original shapes. especially useful on the saw and ramp waveforms.

      2: New shapes and original shapes can be routed to PWM and effect section separately from the mod wheel destinations.

      3: External audio through filter

      4: VCO1 as mixable source to MG1 mod wheel destinations.

      5: Analogue ring modulator using VCO1 as the carrier wave to modulate the main prefilter mix including external audio.

      6: VCO1 keyboard CV defeat. This comes in handy when you wish to modulate the other VCOs or the external audio from a fixed frequency oscillator. it also has a great effect on the sync function. VCO plays the last note CV it received but still excepts CV summed from the octave switch and Mod / pitch wheel CVs.

      7:
      Phase sync on all oscillators.
      This is a subtle but invaluable effect for many genres of music and synthesis. The phase of your oscillators will always start at the same point when the note plays. Great for drum synthesis and fast arpeggios and bass line patterns where consistency is a must.

      These modification will not impede the sound or the original monopoly. They are extra features which can be dialed in and out of the main mix at will.

      Thus far nearly all modifications have been prototyped and tested as working.
      This modification should work along side the CMD midi kit and as of yet untested, but it should work daisy chained to the new Midipoly kit Which looks fantastic.

      I want to produce and offer these modifications in a kit form that can be fitted by my self or any other competent service technician.
      The design will be as such that there will be a minimum of soldering. most of the kit will simply plug in to existing connectors inside the monopoly. There will be solder tap points, but no original circuit traces will need to be cut and no parts removed.

      I am currently measuring up different options for how the controls will be available. My first thought would be to have holes drilled in the front panel. top right along the logo plane. A new high quality vinyl sticker would be provided with the kit to show drill locations and give new control legends and logo to the front panel in the same size and spacing as the other original controls.

      The same type shaft pot will be used and provided will a generic pot cap, but if the end user should wish to track down original Korg knobs they would fit.

      Another option would be to mount the controls on an external control box. This would attached to a bracket mounted at the screw holes of one of the rear cable tidies. I could fit some more controls to this box such as a gain control for the external input. This box would then have a detachable lead run to the rear of the Mono/poly. This would obviously be a more expensive option to produce so would be offered as a deluxe version of the kit, but you would avoid having to drill in to the face plate altogether.

      Would this option appeal to you as a potential buyer?

      What would you be expect to pay for such an expansion kit?

      Would you consider paying a deposit for such a product and waiting for a production batch of units to be produced at a reduced cost for instance?
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
        Hello Alan

        great ideas!

        Am 19.02.2013 14:40, schrieb Alan:
        > 4: VCO1 as mixable source to MG1 mod wheel destinations.
        I'd use VCO4. Because you cannot detune VCO1 and you want to tune the
        modulationspeed for sure.

        > 6: VCO1 keyboard CV defeat. This comes in handy when you wish to
        > modulate the other VCOs or the external audio from a fixed frequency
        > oscillator. it also has a great effect on the sync function. VCO
        > plays the last note CV it received but still excepts CV summed from
        > the octave switch and Mod / pitch wheel CVs.
        Again: Why VCO1? Use VCO4.

        I'd suggest also a "wide-range" option for the tune potentiometer of
        VCO4 (decrease R130 240k -> 22k or even less).

        > 7: Phase sync on all oscillators.
        How would you achieve it technically?

        And another idea: A sync pulse from Gate to all VCOs. This resets the
        VCOs on each note and assures, that bassnotes always starte at the same
        phase with all oscillators, even if the VCOs then are free running.

        You may add my mods too.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
          Hi Florain thanks for taking a look at me ideas.

          The phase sync is the same idea you have just suggested where I'm triggering the sync from the gate signal.  Of course there are a few hoops you need to jump through to make the gate signal suitable for this action.

          Here is an early recording of phase sync in action.
          It has since been refined to work along with the original hard sync effect.
          https://soundcloud.com/audio-presto/korg-monopoly-phase-lock
          here is a bass line recording.
          https://soundcloud.com/alan-melvyn-dicker/monopoly-live-psybass

          The wide range detune feature sounds like it will be very doable.  thanks for the tip  :)

          > 4: VCO1 as mixable source to MG1 mod wheel destinations.
          I'd use VCO4. Because you cannot detune VCO1 and you want to tune the
          modulationspeed for sure.

          > 6: VCO1 keyboard CV defeat. This comes in handy when you wish to
          > modulate the other VCOs or the external audio from a fixed frequency
          > oscillator. it also has a great effect on the sync function. VCO
          > plays the last note CV it received but still excepts CV summed from
          > the octave switch and Mod / pitch wheel CVs.
          Again: Why VCO1? Use VCO4.

          I'd suggest also a "wide-range" option for the tune potentiometer of
          VCO4 (decrease R130 240k -> 22k or even less).

          > 7: Phase sync on all oscillators.
          How would you achieve it technically?

          And another idea: A sync pulse from Gate to all VCOs. This resets the
          VCOs on each note and assures, that bassnotes always starte at the same
          phase with all oscillators, even if the VCOs then are free running.

          You may add my mods too.

          Florian

        • lore
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
            Hi ,
            yes very interesting , i have no clue on how much i could spend for these mods, anyway i'm willing to "invest "

            ciao
            Lorenzo

            --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alanmdicker@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > Another option would be to mount the controls on an external control box. This would attached to a bracket mounted at the screw holes of one of the rear cable tidies. I could fit some more controls to this box such as a gain control for the external input. This box would then have a detachable lead run to the rear of the Mono/poly. This would obviously be a more expensive option to produce so would be offered as a deluxe version of the kit, but you would avoid having to drill in to the face plate altogether.
            >
            > Would this option appeal to you as a potential buyer?
            >
            > What would you be expect to pay for such an expansion kit?
            >
            > Would you consider paying a deposit for such a product and waiting for a production batch of units to be produced at a reduced cost for instance?

          • Jeppe Madsen
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
              It sounds awesome. Especially the phase lock. Ill be very interested - depending on price of course. I would rather mod the MP4 case and panel than use an external box/expander.

              Yay.
              Joppe

              --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > Another option would be to mount the controls on an external control box. This would attached to a bracket mounted at the screw holes of one of the rear cable tidies. I could fit some more controls to this box such as a gain control for the external input. This box would then have a detachable lead run to the rear of the Mono/poly. This would obviously be a more expensive option to produce so would be offered as a deluxe version of the kit, but you would avoid having to drill in to the face plate altogether.
              >
              > Would this option appeal to you as a potential buyer?
              >
              > What would you be expect to pay for such an expansion kit?
              >
              > Would you consider paying a deposit for such a product and waiting for a production batch of units to be produced at a reduced cost for instance?

            • iscrites
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
                hi,

                I'm definetely interested in such a kit. I already did all the mods Florian was so keen as to share and it really adds to the original.
                Now I'd preferred to drill holes, since I already did, rather than have an external box.
                As for price, name yours and I'm sure i'd be happy with it.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013

                  How about replacing R82 100k and R49 47k with different value resistors to get a wider de-tune width?
                  with 10 k at each point I get 3.5 semitones of de-tune and with 1k I get 16.6

                  Don't think it will make it to the kit.  but a nice mod for a user to put add.

                  > 4: VCO1 as mixable source to MG1 mod wheel destinations.
                  I'd use VCO4. Because you cannot detune VCO1 and you want to tune the
                  modulationspeed for sure.

                  > 6: VCO1 keyboard CV defeat. This comes in handy when you wish to
                  > modulate the other VCOs or the external audio from a fixed frequency
                  > oscillator. it also has a great effect on the sync function. VCO
                  > plays the last note CV it received but still excepts CV summed from
                  > the octave switch and Mod / pitch wheel CVs.
                  Again: Why VCO1? Use VCO4.

                  I'd suggest also a "wide-range" option for the tune potentiometer of
                  VCO4 (decrease R130 240k -> 22k or even less).

                  > 7: Phase sync on all oscillators.
                  How would you achieve it technically?

                  And another idea: A sync pulse from Gate to all VCOs. This resets the
                  VCOs on each note and assures, that bassnotes always starte at the same
                  phase with all oscillators, even if the VCOs then are free running.

                  You may add my mods too.

                  Florian

                • scituate_mass
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
                    Sounds amazing. I love the idea of using a non-destructive break out box. I could never get myself to drill into a synth like this.... I would pay extra to have that option (though I hope pricing could still be kept on the lower end).