Expert Sleepers Silent Way and Mono/Poly

  • ugh_it
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17 9:26 AM
      Hello,

      I'm Valerio, from Italy.

      I've tried to set up the demo version of Silent Way SW Voice Controller 1.6.0 in Logic 9.1.7 to control my M/P via a Motu 828mk3 Hybrid but it doesn't work.

      Has anybody successfully tried this thing?

      Here is what I've done (following instruction shwon in Expert Sleepers YT video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZUke1CDYY8E:

      Physical Connections

      - Motu Out 7 goes into MP CV In via the tip plug (ring floating) of a Hosa TRS/2 x TS cable.
      - Motu Out 8 goes into MP Trig In via the tip plug (ring floating) of a Hosa TRS/2 x TS cable.
      - MP Output goes into Motu In 5.

      Logic Setup

      I created 2 tracks:

      - 1 audio track fed by input 7 (that is Motu In 5)
      - 1 SW Instrument track which takes as input Silent Way SW Voice Controller and output to 7-8 channels.

      Then I've sidechained input 7 to Silent Way.

      In the mixer I've created 2 auxes Silent Way track which output to 5-6 channels (Aux 1) and 7-8 (Aux 2).

      That's it.

      In the meter of Silent Way channel I can see a continous signal in channel 7 and when I hit a key in my master keyboard I see the signal in channel 8 but nothing happens.

      Any idea?

      Thanks

      Valerio
    • Natalia Rakowski
      Message 2 of 4 , May 17 12:02 PM
        Hi Valerio -

        I have it working in Ableton Live with an MS-10, so I know it definitely works with Korg gear that uses CV.  Unfortunately, I just purchased my Mono/Poly and sent it off for my tech to check out so I have not tried it with the Mono/Poly yet.

        However, just a few ideas:

        With my MS-10 I had to invert the gate to have it trigger properly.  On the Voice Controller plugin I have it set like this:

        Gate Open: 0
        Trig On: 1
        Vel Max: 1
        Gate Closed: 1
        Trig Off: 0
        Vel Min: -1

        What happens if you try calibrating using the "Calibrate Hz/V" button?

        -- Natalia

        Message 3 of 4 , May 17 1:37 PM
          Hello Natalia,

          Unlike the MS-10 the MonoPoly uses V/Oct and positive Gate.

          I could imagine, that the gate voltage is too low.

          @Valerio: What happens, if you do the followgin:
          * Connect only the CV but don't plug the Gate cable into the Monopoly. *
          Then press and hold a key on the keyboard.
          * Then press play in Logic.
          Does the pitch now follow the pitches of the sequence in Logic?

          Florian

          Natalia Rakowski wrote:

          > Hi Valerio -
          >
          > I have it working in Ableton Live with an MS-10, so I know it definitely
          > works with Korg gear that uses CV. Unfortunately, I just purchased my
          > Mono/Poly and sent it off for my tech to check out so I have not tried
          > it with the Mono/Poly yet.
          >
          > However, just a few ideas:
          >
          > With my MS-10 I had to invert the gate to have it trigger properly. On
          > the Voice Controller plugin I have it set like this:
          >
          > Gate Open: 0
          > Trig On: 1
          > Vel Max: 1
          > Gate Closed: 1
          > Trig Off: 0
          > Vel Min: -1
          >
          > What happens if you try calibrating using the "Calibrate Hz/V" button?
          >
          > -- Natalia

        • Valerio Saggini
          Message 4 of 4 , May 17 4:13 PM
            2012/5/17 Florian Anwander <fanwander@...>

            @Valerio: What happens, if you do the followgin:
            * Connect only the CV but don't plug the Gate cable into the Monopoly. *
            Then press and hold a key on the keyboard.
            * Then press play in Logic.
            Does the pitch now follow the pitches of the sequence in Logic?

            Yes! Although it's not calibrated. After this test I've reconnected the gate and much to my surprise the M/P responded to the notes coming from Logic. I've thought maybe it was the cable so I've changed it with another one. And it does keep reponding.

            After that I've tried to calibrate but that doesn't work. The calibration curve seems randomic. And every time I try to calibrate Silent Way generate a different (uncalibrated) curve.

            Thanks Florian and Natalia, any further suggestion will be appreciated.

            @Natalia: I've tried the tweaks you suggest but to no avail.

            Valerio

            Florian

            --