Keyboard CV generation problems? (with video)

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2012
      Hello everyone. Any insight from M/P wizards here would be much appreciated.

      There's a video I made of the problems: http://youtu.be/MAD3U8O3jA0

      Symptom: Playing M/P's keyboard produces wrong pitches. It's scaled tighter (microtonally), with occasional skips. In "normal" transposition the top octave of keys [32-44], span about a P5th in pitch. Then between the B3 and C4 [31 and 32] there's another 5th. Then we cover a major third in the span of an octave and a minor third [key B3; 31 to Ab2; 17]. The interval between Ab and G is a major 2nd roughly. Then there's a minor third heard divided between the last remaining 14 keys [16 to 1]. The pitches waver audibly. Using the octave transposition moves the irregularities faithfully - ie the skips.

      External CV control is fine, everything sounds good.

      This problem got worse gradually, but over the course of a month or two, and after a long period of working correctly.

      From what I've read, it sounds like it could be the power supply voltages, or the key assigner. It doesn't seem like a problem with the matrix in the keybed because the symptoms don't align with how it's divided up. Thank you for any help.

      other keywords:
      tuning, calibration, tune
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16, 2012
        This sounds like broken D/A converter. Replace CD4069 on Arpeggiator board.

        It is NOT a calibration thing
        Message 3 of 5 , May 16, 2012
          PS: after replacing the CD4069 some calibration of the D/A might be
          necessary. But don't touch any calibration thing unless you did not
          reassure, that the D/A is working properly again.

          --
          http://fa.utfs.org/
        • paulsikivie@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 16, 2012
            Thank you Florian. Where would you source a CD4069 from?

            From: Florian Anwander <fanwander@...>
            Sender: korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 19:09:05 +0200
            To: <korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
            Cc: Paul<paulsikivie@...>
            Subject: Re: [korg_mono-poly] Keyboard CV generation problems? (with video)

            Message 5 of 5 , May 16, 2012
              Nevermind, I'm stupid. Generic part. Thanks, I'll try this and report back.

              From: Florian Anwander <fanwander@...>
              Sender: korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 19:09:05 +0200
              To: <korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com>