Out of tune!!!

  • mozgmozg23
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
      Hi. I've got a problem with my mono\poly- it's completely out of
      tune: for example the first "C" note is not like second "C" and
      third "C" is more like "D"... So, can anyone tell me how to tune it?
    • analog_geek
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
        "Open the top of your Mono/Poly. On the underside, dead center, is a
        little brown PCB with "KLM-398" on it. There are four little silver
        potentiometers on there- they each have a little slot in the center
        where a jeweler's screwdriver will fit. Plug in your Mono and turn it
        on, plug in some headphones, and you can turn those pots until all
        the oscs are humming in tune."
        I got this information at Zen mono/poly in my links section.

        Make sure you turn one VCO up at a time. And also the tune knobs are
        not in order. EX: turning tune screw one will not tune VCO 1. It will
        take you alittle time to firgure out which one tunes which VCO. MAKE
        SURE YOU DONT TURN THE WRONG KNOBS! there are other knobs in there
        that are not for tuning. Be sure your turning the right ones.

        --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "mozgmozg23" <mozgmozg23@y...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
          Now that I think about what you asked alittle more it sounds like
          your in poly mode. When the mono/poly is in poly mode it plays
          different VCOs when a new key is hit. To make sure it is in tune I
          like to put the mono/poly in UNISON mode. I also put all the VCOs (1
          through 4)on the same WAVEFORM and OCTAVE. Make sure the mono/poly is
          on for about 30 minutes before you try to tune it. And make sure that
          the tune knobs (right of the waveform knobs) are dead center. You
          want to tune the MASTER TUNE first. If not all your work will be for
          nothing. Turn VCO 1 LEVEL up all the way and the rest (VCOs 2-3) all
          the way down. If i remember correctly the tune screw (located inside
          the mono/poly on the board marked KLM-398) for VCO 1 is in the third
          position. I could be wrong. After the first VCO is in tune to another
          source (say another keyboard) you can tune the rest of the VCOs to
          the first one. Turn VCO LEVELs 1 and 2 up. Find the turn screw for
          VCO 2 and turn it intil it is in tune with the first VCO. . then tune
          VCO3 to VCO1 then VCO4 to VCO1. I cant stress enough how important
          it is to make sure that your on the board marked KLM-398. There are
          other knobs inside the mono/poly that when you turn them it will mess
          with the tuning. Make sure you dont turn them. If you do you will
          need a digital volt meter to correct this. (Detailed instructions can
          be found in the calibration manual)I hope these instructions are
          clear enough. GoodLuck!!

          --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "analog_geek" <marsholie@h...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2004
            Thanks for your help, but i asked 'bout little bit different
            thing... My english is so bad, but i'll try to describe my problem
            again to make you understand -)
            So, i think, it calls "scaling" in english, the distance between C1,
            C2, C3... And looks like the "scaling" on my mono/poly is really
            bad.
            For example: i press C1 note on mono/poly and it sounds like C on my
            Quasimidi Polymorph, but C2 on mono/poly sounds like D note... Is it
            clear?)

            <marsholie@h...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >

            > > Make sure you turn one VCO up at a time. And also the tune knobs
            > are
            > > not in order. EX: turning tune screw one will not tune VCO 1. It
            > will
            > > take you alittle time to firgure out which one tunes which VCO.
            > MAKE
            > > SURE YOU DONT TURN THE WRONG KNOBS! there are other knobs in
            there
            > > that are not for tuning. Be sure your turning the right ones.
            > >

            > > --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "mozgmozg23"
            > <mozgmozg23@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Hi. I've got a problem with my mono\poly- it's completely out
            of
            > > > tune: for example the first "C" note is not like second "C"
            and
            > > > third "C" is more like "D"... So, can anyone tell me how to
          • analog_geek
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 9, 2004
              I understand what you mean now. im really now sure how to do this. I
              would at least check to see if the voltage is right on the boards.
              It takes alittle time to understand the calibration manual but its
              basically putting the positive and negative probes (from the digital
              volt meter) on certain places on circuit boards and comparing the
              number read out on the DVM to the number on the calibration manual.