Re: [korg_mono-poly] Re: New member Johan Inkinen - help for Modifications

  • Scott Deyo
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 10, 2010
      My mods (so far):

      Added switches to give higher range to the MGs, into near-audio. Nice formant modulations; need to make sound samples!

      Added external input to filter.

      Scott Deyo
      The Bridechamber
      Jealous Edison Record Kompany

      On Feb 10, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Alain wrote:

      Yes Johan, welcome!

      I've already done a simple mod on mine, to convert arpeggiator trigger input from s-trigger to pulse.
      I also plan to add a sample-and-hold with the clock source as either MG1 or MG2...

      Tell us what you want to mod on your MP!

      Alain.

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
        Totally acquired by playing around with the machines in question both of the synthesis front and on the electronics front and reading up on it at the time.  I could read and read a book on electronic font to back and not understand it until you were under the hood of a synth with the actually objects in front of you.
        As for synthesis I've been writing music with them for 12 years and I'm still learning in all areas of production.  the explanation of one thing wont make sense until you know the explanation of another.  take addictive synthesis for instance.  Until you have learned how a waveform shape is made up of particular sine wave harmonics additive synthesis wont make sense.  once you do understand that the concept of subtractive synthesis or the removal or harmonics through filtering then makes even more sense.  then there is the whole other world of FM. phase distortion and so on.
        Things just start fit in to place one by one and I find teaching your self means you learn everything allot more fundamentally than if you were just being told it.

        Googel is the teacher ;o)

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
          Yeah the FM mode is quite different.  Not only can you have a modulation source that up and even a little past the audible range leading to the use of side bands in the modulation but its also key-tracking as it comes from an OSC rather than the LFO which is note key-tracking.  This can be quite vital for some patches.

          The reason I made this mode to my monopoly was an attempt to recreate the polymod section of my Prophet 5 on the Korg as I was able to create a certain vocal sound due to the high harmonic sidebands produced by the very high OSC.  these said band when modulating the filter and with resonance go on to create the same effect as if you had two band pass filter crossing each other and create that formate shape.

          But don't forget you can also modulate the pitch or just osc on it self which then effect how the X mod works and so on so the extra sound possibilities relay open up.

          Alan
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
            Hi Valery,

            thanks for your tips, the Nord Modular G2 idea is an absolutely great one!

            All the best
            Sophie

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > Add a connector to allow external signals (other synths, electric
            > > guitar, etc...) to pass through the filter (VCF), or final amp (VCA)
            > > for using the MP as an "effect" box.
            > > >
            > > > 6-Suboscillators via divide circuit to every square
            > > >
            > > > Build additional circuits to effectively add sub-oscillators
            > > (oscillators playing one or more octave bellow the source) to each of
            > > the square wave output of the oscillators.
            > > >

            > > > Hope this helps a little...
            > > >

            > > > Alain.
            > > >

            > > > --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:korg_mono-poly%40yahoogroups.com>, Sophie Caroline Bernhard

            > > elegant

            > > passed a

            > > <mailto:korg_mono-poly%40yahoogroups.com>, "JohanI" <johan.inkinen@>

            > > <http://www.chd-el.cz/index.php?id=409>

            > > and so

            > > <mailto:korg_mono-poly%40yahoogroups.com>, Florian Anwander

          • lakaband_in_uk
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
              Thank you for your reply!

              all the best
              Sophie

              --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Alan Dicker <alanmdicker@...> wrote:

              > Totally acquired by playing around with the machines in question both of the synthesis front and on the electronics front and reading up on it at the time.  I could read and read a book on electronic font to back and not understand it until you were under the hood of a synth with the actually objects in front of you.
              > As for synthesis I've been writing music with them for 12 years and I'm still learning in all areas of production.  the explanation of one thing wont make sense until you know the explanation of another.  take addictive synthesis for instance.  Until you have learned how a waveform shape is made up of particular sine wave harmonics additive synthesis wont make sense.  once you do understand that the concept of subtractive synthesis or the removal or harmonics through filtering then makes even more sense.  then there is the whole other world of FM. phase distortion and so on.
              > Things just start fit in to place one by one and I find teaching your self means you learn everything allot more fundamentally than if you were just being told it.
              >
              > Googel is the teacher ;o)

            • Alain
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                Hello Florian.

                You wrote: "This in between setting of the waveforms switch is not superfast (sorry). It gets at max ~300Hz"

                That's strange, because on my MP that trick results in MG1 speed range from 5hz to 887hz (measured). Agreed it's not 7000hz though.

                Alain.

                --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander <fanwander@...> wrote:

                > Hello Michael
                > > that lfo speed mod is also quite useless to make. you can get crazy
                > > speed lfo's on mg-1 bu carefully placing the mg-1 waveform selector
                > > between the two saw waveforms.
                > > and you can route that superfast lfo with the mg1 modwheel to the filter
                > > or to the pitch, and also the effects section uses that particular mg.
                > > no need for a superfast mg-2 imho.
                > This inbetween setting of the waveforms switch is not superfast (sorry).
                > It gets at max ~300Hz, but we talk about max ranges up to 7000Hz.
                > Doepfer introduced this with the MS-404 and many other makers now
                > implement it to their todays systems. It allows very interesting vowel
                > like sounds.
                >
                > > is that vcf>fm mod something that you can not acchieve with that lfo
                > > trick + effects section really?
                > Yepp, it is completely different. I definitely recommend it!
                >
                > Florian

              • Chris Wareham
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 13, 2010
                  JohanI said on 11/02/2010 20:38:

                  > Hi everyone! Thanks for the welcome! :)
                  >
                  > Well I've been thinking of doing these mods:
                  >
                  > VCO->Cutoff FM
                  > VCO->VCA FM
                  > VCO1->VCO(x) FM
                  > LFO speeds increase by adding caps
                  > Audio in -> VCF/VCA
                  > Suboscillators via divide circuit to every square
                  >
                  > Oh, and also adding midi, either via Mungo Enterprises Midi Retrofit or
                  > this one : http://www.chd-el.cz/index.php?id=409
                  > <http://www.chd-el.cz/index.php?id=409>
                  >
                  > I consider myself a beginner in synthmodding, have done a couple on the
                  > korg poly800 (moog slayer, 12/24db filterswitch, fm800 and so on) and
                  > siel exp80 (similar architecture as poly800). Also working on fitting
                  > the Mungo Enterprises midikit in a Juno6 atm.

                  I have the CHD kit installed in my Mono/Poly - it works perfectly, and
                  is great value. I also have a CHD kit installed in my Jupiter 4, and
                  that is also a great modification. Now if anyone can tell me how to get
                  the same ethereal sounds out of the Jupiter 4 that Simple Minds did on
                  their "Sons and Fascination" album then I'd be very happy!

                  Regards,

                  Chris