Re: [korg_mono-poly] Re: Selling Korg MS20 and getting a Mono/Poly

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 22, 2009
      Hi Guga

      > Well, can't the mono/poly work as a 4 voice polyphony? or am i getting something wrong?
      It is and it is not. You have four VCOs (which can make chords), but you
      have only one VCF, one VCA, each with its envelope.
      Lets assume you have a sound with a slow attack: If you play chords
      starting all notes at the same time, then you won't hear a difference to
      e.g. the Juno60. But if you start a chord with two notes and add later
      two other notes, the other notes will not fade in slowly (as you would
      expect with a true polyphonic synth), but immediately, because the
      envelope is already opened and the additional VCOs are switched on only.

      If you play manually then the polyphony of the MonoPoly is ok, for
      laying some simple chords, but you should not compare it to a true
      polyphonic synth with a VCF for each voice. As Michael Diekmann wrote,
      the poly mode mostly shows off ;-) at chord memory and arpeggiated stuff.

      Florian

      > to me, mono/poly sounds sometimes quite digital in a way, but that's not bad i guess. I've got an MS2000, i wonder how they would mix together
      >
      > --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Michael Diekmann <crc@...> wrote:
      >> ms20 has a better filter (well actually two lp and hp), and a mono/poly
      >> doesn't have external audio input.
      >> those are the main advantages of the ms20 in my eyes (or ears actually)..
      >>
      >> other than that, i think the mono/poly is fantastic and can do things
      >> most analogs can't.
      >> just don't think it's a poly instrument because of the name. the poly
      >> mode works great for chord memory and arpeggiated stuff tho.
      >>
      >> -michael
      >>
      >> gugaks4 kirjoitti:
      >>> Hey guys,
      >>>
      >>> i'm having some tough time deciding on this. I have an MS20 and thinking of selling it because it doesn't get much usage compared to my Roland Juno 60.
      >>>
      >>> I find it really harsh and raw and the patchbay just doesn't do it for me. I find ms20 a good instrument for a lab or experimental stuff, but when concerned with making melodies, well, it's just not my cup of tea.
      >>>
      >>> wanted to ask, will i regret it if taking a mono/poly? I've never played one, only seen the youtube videos and know that it's quite a capable beast in terms of ssequences which would be really nice to have!
      >>>
      >>> any thoughts are welcome
      >>>
      >>> best regards,
      >>> guga

    • Travis Thatcher
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 22, 2009
        Guga,

        I've got a Korg MonoPoly in very nice shape that I've actually been thinking of doing the opposite with (trading for an MS20).  I used to have an MS10 and really missed the routing possibilities. I tend to play a lot more with modular stuff, and while I love the MonoPoly, I prefer the flexibility you get with the patchbay.  Not sure where you are located (I'm in Atlanta, GA USA), but if you are at all interested in any sort of trade, let me know.  I've got some references from the SDIY list, ebay, etc.  If not its cool, just figured I'd offer.

        -Travis

        --
        http://www.judichicago.com
        http://www.myspace.com/judichicago

      • Brinkmann Music
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 22, 2009
          Parting with my Mono/Poly. Excellent cosmetic and working shape
          (save for a couple scratchy pots and effects button that sometimes
          needs a couple button presses to engage).

          Email for pictures, price and more info.

          In person sale only. Minneapolis, MN.

          Thanks.

          Adam
        • sean hoffman
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 22, 2009
            CL ad says your thinning the herd, anything else?

            Parting with my Mono/Poly.  Excellent cosmetic and working shape
            (save for a couple scratchy pots and effects button that sometimes
            needs a couple button presses to engage).

            Email for pictures, price and more info.

            In person sale only.  Minneapolis, MN.

            Thanks.

            Adam

            <*> Your email settings: