Re: [korg_mono-poly] Selling Korg MS20 and getting a Mono/Poly

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 22, 2009
      Hi Guga

      whether to let go a MS20 or not may be a difficult decision. A MS20 has
      a signature sound, which you won't have with a MonoPoly. Though the
      MonoPoly is quite unique from its architecture, its basic sound in
      mono/unisono mode is close to other well known synths like a Prophet V
      in unisono mode, or also most of the modern VA synths. Once again: The
      sound is very good but not that unique.

      But if you say, you are more on the melodic side of the musical life,
      then a MonoPoly will be assumingly the better choice.
      The MonoPoly has a much bigger sound for melodies or basses than the
      MS20 or even the Juno60. For pads the Juno will be always ahead. For
      arpeggios the MonoPoly will be equal to the Juno60, may even better,
      because you have the possibility different settings for each VCO.

      I you think about MIDIfying the MonoPoly, then you should go definitely
      for the interface offered by CHD-Elektroservis
      http://www.chd-el.cz/index.php?id=409

      Using a normal MIDI/CV interface will hide most of the really glamourish
      features of this instrument when controlled by MIDI.

      Florian

      gugaks4 schrieb:
      > Hey guys,
      >
      > i'm having some tough time deciding on this. I have an MS20 and thinking of selling it because it doesn't get much usage compared to my Roland Juno 60.
      >
      > I find it really harsh and raw and the patchbay just doesn't do it for me. I find ms20 a good instrument for a lab or experimental stuff, but when concerned with making melodies, well, it's just not my cup of tea.
      >
      > wanted to ask, will i regret it if taking a mono/poly? I've never played one, only seen the youtube videos and know that it's quite a capable beast in terms of ssequences which would be really nice to have!
      >
      > any thoughts are welcome
      >
      > best regards,
      > guga

    • Michael Diekmann
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 22, 2009
        ms20 has a better filter (well actually two lp and hp), and a mono/poly
        doesn't have external audio input.
        those are the main advantages of the ms20 in my eyes (or ears actually)..

        other than that, i think the mono/poly is fantastic and can do things
        most analogs can't.
        just don't think it's a poly instrument because of the name. the poly
        mode works great for chord memory and arpeggiated stuff tho.

        -michael

        gugaks4 kirjoitti:
        > Hey guys,
        >
        > i'm having some tough time deciding on this. I have an MS20 and thinking of selling it because it doesn't get much usage compared to my Roland Juno 60.
        >
        > I find it really harsh and raw and the patchbay just doesn't do it for me. I find ms20 a good instrument for a lab or experimental stuff, but when concerned with making melodies, well, it's just not my cup of tea.
        >
        > wanted to ask, will i regret it if taking a mono/poly? I've never played one, only seen the youtube videos and know that it's quite a capable beast in terms of ssequences which would be really nice to have!
        >
        > any thoughts are welcome
        >
        > best regards,
        > guga

      • gugaks4
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 22, 2009
          Thank you guys for all the replies.

          Yeah, the MS surely has a character, but i think i'm quite fed up with it ). Well, can't the mono/poly work as a 4 voice polyphony? or am i getting something wrong?

          to me, mono/poly sounds sometimes quite digital in a way, but that's not bad i guess. I've got an MS2000, i wonder how they would mix together

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 22, 2009
            Hi Guga

            > Well, can't the mono/poly work as a 4 voice polyphony? or am i getting something wrong?
            It is and it is not. You have four VCOs (which can make chords), but you
            have only one VCF, one VCA, each with its envelope.
            Lets assume you have a sound with a slow attack: If you play chords
            starting all notes at the same time, then you won't hear a difference to
            e.g. the Juno60. But if you start a chord with two notes and add later
            two other notes, the other notes will not fade in slowly (as you would
            expect with a true polyphonic synth), but immediately, because the
            envelope is already opened and the additional VCOs are switched on only.

            If you play manually then the polyphony of the MonoPoly is ok, for
            laying some simple chords, but you should not compare it to a true
            polyphonic synth with a VCF for each voice. As Michael Diekmann wrote,
            the poly mode mostly shows off ;-) at chord memory and arpeggiated stuff.

            Florian

            > to me, mono/poly sounds sometimes quite digital in a way, but that's not bad i guess. I've got an MS2000, i wonder how they would mix together
            >
            > --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Michael Diekmann <crc@...> wrote:
            >> ms20 has a better filter (well actually two lp and hp), and a mono/poly
            >> doesn't have external audio input.
            >> those are the main advantages of the ms20 in my eyes (or ears actually)..
            >>
            >> other than that, i think the mono/poly is fantastic and can do things
            >> most analogs can't.
            >> just don't think it's a poly instrument because of the name. the poly
            >> mode works great for chord memory and arpeggiated stuff tho.
            >>
            >> -michael
            >>
            >> gugaks4 kirjoitti:
            >>> Hey guys,
            >>>
            >>> i'm having some tough time deciding on this. I have an MS20 and thinking of selling it because it doesn't get much usage compared to my Roland Juno 60.
            >>>
            >>> I find it really harsh and raw and the patchbay just doesn't do it for me. I find ms20 a good instrument for a lab or experimental stuff, but when concerned with making melodies, well, it's just not my cup of tea.
            >>>
            >>> wanted to ask, will i regret it if taking a mono/poly? I've never played one, only seen the youtube videos and know that it's quite a capable beast in terms of ssequences which would be really nice to have!
            >>>
            >>> any thoughts are welcome
            >>>
            >>> best regards,
            >>> guga

          • Travis Thatcher
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 22, 2009
              Guga,

              I've got a Korg MonoPoly in very nice shape that I've actually been thinking of doing the opposite with (trading for an MS20).  I used to have an MS10 and really missed the routing possibilities. I tend to play a lot more with modular stuff, and while I love the MonoPoly, I prefer the flexibility you get with the patchbay.  Not sure where you are located (I'm in Atlanta, GA USA), but if you are at all interested in any sort of trade, let me know.  I've got some references from the SDIY list, ebay, etc.  If not its cool, just figured I'd offer.

              -Travis

              --
              http://www.judichicago.com
              http://www.myspace.com/judichicago

            • Brinkmann Music
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 22, 2009
                Parting with my Mono/Poly. Excellent cosmetic and working shape
                (save for a couple scratchy pots and effects button that sometimes
                needs a couple button presses to engage).

                Email for pictures, price and more info.

                In person sale only. Minneapolis, MN.

                Thanks.

                Adam
              • sean hoffman
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 22, 2009
                  CL ad says your thinning the herd, anything else?

                  Parting with my Mono/Poly.  Excellent cosmetic and working shape
                  (save for a couple scratchy pots and effects button that sometimes
                  needs a couple button presses to engage).

                  Email for pictures, price and more info.

                  In person sale only.  Minneapolis, MN.

                  Thanks.

                  Adam

                  <*> Your email settings: