MG1 knob

  • lakaband_in_uk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2009
      Hi everybody!

      I need to replace the MG1 knob, do you know which potentiometer I should get?
      Also, is there something I should be extra careful about when replacing it (I am a beginner at opening synths)?

      Many thanks to you for your time

      cheers
      Sophie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
        Hello Sophie

        > I need to replace the MG1 knob, do you know which potentiometer I should get?
        > Also, is there something I should be extra careful about when replacing it (I am a beginner at opening synths)?
        Do you need to replace the knob (the plastic thing, which sticks on the
        the potentiometer) or the potentiometer itself? If it is the
        potentiometer then: what is the failure with it? Usually cleaning the
        potentiometer solves the most problems.

        If you really have to replace the potentiometer: it is a 10kOhm
        logarithmic potentiometer. Basically it is a potentiometer from the
        company ALPS, which is still available, but unfortunately you won't get
        the exact model with the mounting stands. You may try to find a similar
        potentiometer without the stands, and then put the inards of the new
        potentiometer into the housing of the old one.

        Kind regards, Florian
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
          Alternatively you could try the seller "Organ parts" http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/organparts&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERIDon ebay he often has the correct original pots.  You shouldn't need to replace the plastic cap but its always good to have a spare or two in reserve.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 2009
            Thank you very much for your help, Florian and Alan, I found the potentiometer on ebay, it is a used one.

            best,
            Sophie

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 13, 2009
              Great news Sophie.  Heres to many more years of happy mono/poly modulation.