Japanese to UK power

  • lakaband_in_uk
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hello mono/poly community!

      I just bought one those lovely synths from a japanese auction on ebay, and I want to make sure which power adaptor or lead I should use, as I live in the UK.
      Sorry if this has already been answered, I made a search and couldn't find anything about it.

      Many thanks in advance for your help in the matter!

      Sophie
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
        Hello Sophie

        the powersupply of the Korg MonoPoly is not switchable from 110/115 to
        220/240 Volts. So you either have to get an external stepdown
        transformer or replace the internal transformer to a suitable one.

        Since I live in germany I cannot tell you where to buy a step down
        transformer, but I am sure, someone else here will name a provider.

        Best regards Florian

        lakaband_in_uk schrieb:
        > Hello mono/poly community!
        >
        > I just bought one those lovely synths from a japanese auction on ebay, and I want to make sure which power adaptor or lead I should use, as I live in the UK.
        > Sorry if this has already been answered, I made a search and couldn't find anything about it.
        >
        > Many thanks in advance for your help in the matter!
        >
        > Sophie

      • lakaband_in_uk
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
          Now, that was quick!

          Thank you very much, Florian!

          Is replacing the internal transformer a difficult but documented operation ?

          Anyway, thanks again, this is precious info!

          Best
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
            Hello Sophie

            > Is replacing the internal transformer a difficult but documented operation ?
            It is the opposite ;-) it is an easy but undocumented operation - for a
            knowledge person

            The schematics are available here
            http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/
            or here
            http://monopoly.highspies.com/manuals.html

            If this information is not enough for you, then ask someone who is able
            to use this information. In UK I can recommend Tony Allgood from
            Oakleysound.
            But any other repair shop for electric musical instruments (or radio and
            TV electronics) will be able to do this. But it will be more expensive
            than a stepdown transformer.

            Example for Stepdown transformer see
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Step-Down-Voltage-Convertor-240V/dp/B000H9HU5C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238619815&sr=8-2

            Regards, Florian
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
              Hi Sophie.  Congrats on getting your self one of my favorite synths.
              If your looking for an external transformer then find your local Maplins.
              they have a store search function on the site somewhere and the step down transformers aren't expensive.  around£15 - £20  Also if you decide to go ahead and replace the internal power supply board your self then Maplins again should have all the solder and so on you will need.  I spend far to much money in that place sometimes. :o)
              But I would suggest getting an external transformer before you try anything else.  If you were to change the internal one your self or even have someone else do it for you at cost and you then went on to discover there was something wrong with the internal workings of the synth you would have no way of knowing if the problem was present before the power supply was changed.
              All the best with your new purchase.
              Alan

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
                Thank you both Florian and Alan,

                your help is very much appreciated. You are right, Alan, first the external transformer to check there is no problem with the synth, is the right thing to do at first.
                Then a bit of sweating over schematics and off (soldering) I will go!
                At the moment, I am comparing the schematics with what's inside the synth...

                Again, thank you!

                Sophie