Oscillators 2 and 4 will not stay in tune!

  • namdoogpdx
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 16, 2009
      Hey Y'all,
      All of a sudden OSC 2 and OSC 4 won't stay in tune. On certain
      octaves one or the other will stay in tune but if you go up or down
      they gradually begin to drift. For some reason, keeping the effects on
      seems to help a bit but I don't want to use X or Frequency mod 100% of
      the time...totally sucks.
      I always let my Mono/Poly warm up for 20 minutes at least before
      I even touch it, and after that OSC 1 and 3 stay perfectly in tune.
      This is really frustrating, since I've only had this synth for 6
      months and it worked fine up until just recently. I'm very gentle with
      my keyboards and don't have problems with any of my other synths. Has
      anybody out there had this same problem? I know nothing about
      synthesizer repair so I also need to ask if this is repairable or if I
      am screwed. Any and all help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

      Thanks, everyone!

      -J.G.
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
        Hello J.G.

        The ocateve-switching has its own trimming potentiometer. It should be
        not too difficult to do the correction:

        I descriebd it at
        http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/vco_adjustment.html
        read the setting for Trimmer VR101

        This file...
        http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_16_klm_354_layout_TRIMMERS.jpg
        ...shows the VCO-pcb as you look at it from the rear side (as you look
        at it, when you open the synth). The trimmers for the octave switches
        are the ones at the most upper and most lower boarder of the board - I
        named them "Scale Octave Switch".

        If you think, you won't be able to do this on your own, then any
        electronically gifted person should be able to setup your synth with
        this description.

        Florian

      • crc1@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
          hey j.g.!

          make sure you have the detune knob turned down to zero, since it
          detunes osc's 2 and 4. i tend to forget it from time to time.

          it is normal that when the effects are on' that it is in tune, since
          it syncs osc's 2,3 and 4 to osc 1 (single mode) or osc 2 to 1 and osc
          4 to 3 (double mode) and therefor it's only osc 1 or osc 1 and 3 that
          matter.

          cheers!

          .michael

          --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "namdoogpdx" <namdoogpdx@...>

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
            Sorry I just want to clafify your problem.  is it that OSC 3 and 4 are consitantley out of tune with the other synths as in allways out by the same amount or do they not keytrack the keyboard in the same way as OSC 1 and 2?

            wrote:

            > Hey Y'all,
            > All of a sudden OSC 2 and OSC 4 won't stay in tune. On certain
            > octaves one or the other will stay in tune but if you go up or down
            > they gradually begin to drift. For some reason, keeping the effects on
            > seems to help a bit but I don't want to use X or Frequency mod 100% of
            > the time...totally sucks.
            > I always let my Mono/Poly warm up for 20 minutes at least before
            > I even touch it, and after that OSC 1 and 3 stay perfectly in tune.
            > This is really frustrating, since I've only had this synth for 6
            > months and it worked fine up until just recently. I'm very gentle with
            > my keyboards and don't have problems with any of my other synths. Has
            > anybody out there had this same problem? I know nothing about
            > synthesizer repair so I also need to ask if this is repairable or if I
            > am screwed. Any and all help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
            >
            > Thanks, everyone!
            >
            > -J.G.

          • Joel Goodman
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
              OSCs 2 and 4 keytrack differently than 1 and 3. 1 and 3 keep in tune perfectly the way a keyboard should, but 2 and 4 only do so on one higher octave, and drift more drasticly the further up or down you go...And yes, the detune knob is all the way down!
              Thanks!

              wrote:

              > Hey Y'all,
              > All of a sudden OSC 2 and OSC 4 won't stay in tune. On certain
              > octaves one or the other will stay in tune but if you go up or down
              > they gradually begin to drift. For some reason, keeping the effects on
              > seems to help a bit but I don't want to use X or Frequency mod 100% of
              > the time...totally sucks.
              > I always let my Mono/Poly warm up for 20 minutes at least before
              > I even touch it, and after that OSC 1 and 3 stay perfectly in tune.
              > This is really frustrating, since I've only had this synth for 6
              > months and it worked fine up until just recently. I'm very gentle with
              > my keyboards and don't have problems with any of my other synths. Has
              > anybody out there had this same problem? I know nothing about
              > synthesizer repair so I also need to ask if this is repairable or if I
              > am screwed. Any and all help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
              >
              > Thanks, everyone!
              >
              > -J.G.

            • joe-joe
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 17, 2009
                ok is the tuning actually drifting. different everytime. or is the
                scale off? say middle c is always tuned and the lower c out of tune.

                read this

                --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Joel Goodman <namdoogpdx@...>

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 18, 2009
                  Hello

                  joe-joe schrieb:
                  > ok is the tuning actually drifting. different everytime. or is the
                  > scale off? say middle c is always tuned and the lower c out of tune.
                  >
                  > read this

                  This description is very imprecise. I don't want to boast, but I really
                  recommend the detailed description I wrote recently over this old thread:
                  http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/vco_adjustment.html
                  Location of the trimmers is described detailed in this file:

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 18, 2009
                    wow Florian im impressed! show off ;) seriously that picture is all he
                    needs. if im not mistaken it looks like he should mess with the scale
                    for the oscilators that are out tune?

                    --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 19, 2009
                      Hi joe-joe

                      > needs. if im not mistaken it looks like he should mess with the scale
                      > for the oscilators that are out tune?
                      As far as I understood him right, the problems are only the octave switches.

                      He should do the following:
                      * Set all four octave switches to 8'
                      * Switch to unisono mode
                      * Play the lowest F
                      * Tune all VCOs with the knobs on the frontpanel to the lowest possible
                      beating.
                      * Then play the highest F

                      If now the beating gets much worse at the highest F, then it is time for
                      the full tuning procedure.

                      If the beating does not change very much, then
                      * playe again the lowest F
                      * now switch all four octave switches to 2'
                      Again check the beating. If it now got much worse then adjuct VR201 and
                      VR401.

                      If the full procedure is required, he should think whether he is able to
                      do it. We have a german byword "you can get in devils kitchen" if you
                      start doing this. Setting the octave scaling of a VCO can be very
                      confusing. It affects all the absolute tuning and it is really necessary
                      that you care a shit for the absolute tuning until the last step of the
                      procedure.

                      Florian