Re: [korg_mono-poly] Re: No sound output from main out or from headphone out! HELP! Show in 3 days!

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
      Hi

      hoggybogger schrieb:
      > The only sound I seem to be able to get out of this, with it
      > completely cranked up, is when the noise potentiometer is turned up,
      > and the resonance and cutoff turned up. I can get a very faint hissy
      > noise when I'm playing, and if I turn the resonance and cutoff while
      > playing it changes the noise like you'd expect it to. Just almost
      > completely inaudible, this was all the way up and then fed into a
      > mixer with the gain all the way up.
      This is good. It says the SSM2044 is not broken.

      > I took the knobs off and backed the nuts off the pots, and took the
      > CN16 connector off and measured pin 3, but I didn't seem to be
      > getting anything. Should I be measuring it from the wire harness that
      > goes into it? That's where I measured it. I could be doing something
      > wrong. I did not check the CN2 pin 3, I was having difficulty finding
      > it and had to quickly come up with an alternate solution for
      > performing this wednesday night.

      Basically I still think it is something not very troublesome; maybe the
      low/mid/high-Levelswitch or the volume potentiometer is dirty or (in
      worst case) broken. But both you could temporarily heal by bridging them.

      You may try to measure (or listen with an cable) to the following
      testpoints:
      http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_13_klm_353_layout_testpoints.jpg
      http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_14_klm_355_layout_testpoints.jpg
      These show the pcbs from the solderside, so you don't have to remove the
      pcbs from the front. The testpoints are marked yellow.

      Florian
    • hoggybogger
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
        Thanks for the reply Florian - I am wondering where to measure on the
        low/mid/high switch, there are eight points - do I just choose any
        one of the four pairs and do them across?

        I'm confused on how to measure the VCA out and VCF out testpoints,
        would I be looking for some kind of voltage reading, or is that for
        placing the output to an amp like an audio cable to test for sound?

        Thanks again for your help, I will have a chance to test some things
        out when I get out of work in around five hours.

        Rich

        --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander
        <fanwander@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > hoggybogger schrieb:
        > > The only sound I seem to be able to get out of this, with it
        > > completely cranked up, is when the noise potentiometer is turned
        up,
        > > and the resonance and cutoff turned up. I can get a very faint
        hissy
        > > noise when I'm playing, and if I turn the resonance and cutoff
        while
        > > playing it changes the noise like you'd expect it to. Just almost
        > > completely inaudible, this was all the way up and then fed into a
        > > mixer with the gain all the way up.
        > This is good. It says the SSM2044 is not broken.
        >
        > > I took the knobs off and backed the nuts off the pots, and took
        the
        > > CN16 connector off and measured pin 3, but I didn't seem to be
        > > getting anything. Should I be measuring it from the wire harness
        that
        > > goes into it? That's where I measured it. I could be doing
        something
        > > wrong. I did not check the CN2 pin 3, I was having difficulty
        finding
        > > it and had to quickly come up with an alternate solution for
        > > performing this wednesday night.
        >
        > Basically I still think it is something not very troublesome; maybe
        the
        > low/mid/high-Levelswitch or the volume potentiometer is dirty or
        (in
        > worst case) broken. But both you could temporarily heal by bridging
        them.

        > You may try to measure (or listen with an cable) to the following
        > testpoints:

        http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_13_klm_353_layout_testpoints.j
        pg

        http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_14_klm_355_layout_testpoints.j
        pg
        > These show the pcbs from the solderside, so you don't have to
        remove the
        > pcbs from the front. The testpoints are marked yellow.
        >

        > Florian

      • hoggybogger
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
          It works now! Here's what happened tonight, I changed the volume pot
          to a new one (I had ordered a replacement a few years ago, never got
          around to installing it) and it didn't fix the problem.

          Then it occurred to me after messing with this for a bit, that it
          might be the MIDIJACK I installed on this last year - sure enough,
          one of the wires had come disconnected. Reconnecting it solved
          everything!

          So there was nothing wrong with my Mono/Poly, only the wiring for
          MIDIJACK kit I had put in. This whole ordeal at the very least got me
          to change the potentiometer, and learn a bit of troubleshooting.
          Thanks for your help Florian, I appreciate it.

          I also decided to purchase the Korg Legacy 2007 collection, since I
          don't own any official emulation synths. It will be nice to have a
          backup if one of these go down again. It just kind of makes sense to
          perform with a controller and laptop, this synth belongs in the
          studio, less gigging with it means less repairs. I just hope the
          software version sounds pretty good, I imagine it does!

          Working with the Mono/Poly and Polsix has been taxing because of
          frequent repairs (and I cannot afford to ship them out for
          professional work) but still very gratifying. The only thing that
          bothers me about the Polysix is the key contacts, I've tried multiple
          repair techniques without a solid fix. I tried a few methods, one
          recently which worked great for a month or two, and now a number of
          the keys are back to not playing, or intermittent. I also used the MG
          Electronics keypad repair kit, which worked great on my Mono/Poly,
          still working 10 years later with no key dropouts, but the Polysix
          for some reason has always had a problem.

          Anyways, I'm so glad it's working again. Back to normal.

          Rich

          --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "hoggybogger"
          <hoggybogger@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the reply Florian - I am wondering where to measure on
          the
          > low/mid/high switch, there are eight points - do I just choose any
          > one of the four pairs and do them across?
          >
          > I'm confused on how to measure the VCA out and VCF out testpoints,
          > would I be looking for some kind of voltage reading, or is that for
          > placing the output to an amp like an audio cable to test for sound?
          >
          > Thanks again for your help, I will have a chance to test some
          things
          > out when I get out of work in around five hours.
          >
          > Rich
          >
          > --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander
          > <fanwander@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > hoggybogger schrieb:
          > > > The only sound I seem to be able to get out of this, with it
          > > > completely cranked up, is when the noise potentiometer is
          turned
          > up,
          > > > and the resonance and cutoff turned up. I can get a very faint
          > hissy
          > > > noise when I'm playing, and if I turn the resonance and cutoff
          > while
          > > > playing it changes the noise like you'd expect it to. Just
          almost
          > > > completely inaudible, this was all the way up and then fed into
          > > > mixer with the gain all the way up.
          > > This is good. It says the SSM2044 is not broken.
          > >
          > > > I took the knobs off and backed the nuts off the pots, and took
          > the
          > > > CN16 connector off and measured pin 3, but I didn't seem to be
          > > > getting anything. Should I be measuring it from the wire
          harness
          > that
          > > > goes into it? That's where I measured it. I could be doing
          > something
          > > > wrong. I did not check the CN2 pin 3, I was having difficulty
          > finding
          > > > it and had to quickly come up with an alternate solution for
          > > > performing this wednesday night.
          > >
          > > Basically I still think it is something not very troublesome;
          maybe
          > the
          > > low/mid/high-Levelswitch or the volume potentiometer is dirty or
          > (in
          > > worst case) broken. But both you could temporarily heal by
          bridging
          > them.
          > >
          > > You may try to measure (or listen with an cable) to the following
          > > testpoints:

          http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_13_klm_353_layout_testpoints.j
          > pg

          http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_14_klm_355_layout_testpoints.j
          > pg
          > > These show the pcbs from the solderside, so you don't have to
          > remove the
          > > pcbs from the front. The testpoints are marked yellow.
          > >

          > > Florian

        • hoggybogger
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
            Ok, I spoke too soon. It works, but not correctly now - something is
            wrong with the VCA EG or something else, when I press a key I only
            get a sound when I let go of the key, not when I press it down.

            Turning the ADSR to 0 on the VCA EG then playing a key only gives a
            sound when I let go of the key. When I turn the attack to 2 and press
            a key, it still only plays when I let go but fades in and cuts out.
            If I turn the sustain knob up, the note rings on endlessly, the
            release knob doesn't appear to change anything.

            Basically, I'm only getting sound when I let go of a key, what is
            that a sign of? Just when I thought I was in the clear!

            <hoggybogger@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > maybe
            > > the
            > > > low/mid/high-Levelswitch or the volume potentiometer is dirty
            or
            > > (in
            > > > worst case) broken. But both you could temporarily heal by
            > bridging
            > > them.
            > > >
            > > > You may try to measure (or listen with an cable) to the
            following
            > > > testpoints:

            http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_13_klm_353_layout_testpoints.j
            > > pg

            http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_14_klm_355_layout_testpoints.j
            > > pg
            > > > These show the pcbs from the solderside, so you don't have to
            > > remove the
            > > > pcbs from the front. The testpoints are marked yellow.

          • Chase Smith
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
              From the internal keyboard or an external keyboard (CV/MIDI).

              If it is from an external keyboard, then check the s-trig switch to make sure it is set on v-trig.  It sounds like it is getting a constant gate so it has something to do with the s-trig/v-trig conversion.

              Chase

              <hoggybogger@...> wrote:

> [...]

              > maybe
              > > the
              > > > low/mid/high-Levelswitch or the volume potentiometer is dirty
              or
              > > (in
              > > > worst case) broken. But both you could temporarily heal by
              > bridging
              > > them.
              > > >
              > > > You may try to measure (or listen with an cable) to the
              following
              > > > testpoints:

              http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_13_klm_353_layout_testpoints.j
              > > pg

              http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_14_klm_355_layout_testpoints.j
              > > pg
              > > > These show the pcbs from the solderside, so you don't have
              > > remove the
              > > > pcbs from the front. The testpoints are marked yellow.

              <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:korg_mono-poly-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:korg_mono-poly-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • hoggybogger
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
                It's from the internal keyboard, nothing external plugged in. So
                frustrating.

                --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Chase Smith <plus_321@...>

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 11, 2009
                  Did you re-wire the midi jack correctly?  have you the original
                  installation instructions to hand?

                  wrote:

                  > From the internal keyboard or an external keyboard (CV/MIDI).
                  >
                  > If it is from an external keyboard, then check the s-trig switch to
                  make sure it is set on v-trig.  It sounds like it is getting a
                  constant gate so it has something to do with the s-trig/v-trig
                  conversion.

                  > Chase

                • hoggybogger
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 11, 2009
                    Yes, there was only one wire that was suspect, and I just double
                    checked the wiring via the midijack installation page.

                    The only other things I had done, were reseat the connectors on the
                    board with the VCA and VCF on it, and the connectors on the board
                    with the volume pot. I just checked them again, everything is seated
                    fine.

                    It is only making sound on the release of the key, not the initial
                    press. And the VCA controls seem wrong, they're working but in a
                    strange way it seems. I'm very confused by this.

                    --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Alan Dicker <alanmdicker@...>

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 11, 2009
                      Hi,

                      I assume your MIDI-Extension is a MIDI to CV/Gate Interface.
                      What voltage does a voltmeter read at the gate-output of this interface?
                      If this voltage behaves also inverted, then it is perhaps an failure or
                      misconfiguration of this interface.

                      Florian

                    • hoggybogger
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 11, 2009
                        I'm pretty embarassed right now, I just figured out why this was
                        happening, and it's solved. After reading through the midijack manual
                        I came across a note that read "Since you are using the V-trigger
                        output from the MIDIJACK, set the TRIG POLARITY slide switch to
                        +15V" --- and sure enough, this must have happened between the time I
                        took this apart and resoldered that wire and put it back together,
                        the switch had been knocked to GND. It HAD been set correctly, and it
                        didn't occcur to me at all that it could have been moved.

                        I'm really happy now, yet still embarassed about missing that, just
                        moving one switch. Well, granted, it was another thing too with the
                        wire, but this latter error was all due my blindness. Fixed in time
                        for tonight's show.

                        Thanks again Florian and Alan for your input. If you hadn't have
                        mentioned the gate voltage, I wouldn't have investigated further and
                        come across the switch in the first place!

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 11, 2009
                          Those type of things catch out everyone at some time or another. Nothing to be embarrassed about its only human.  I hope you have a wicked show tonight. ;o)

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 12, 2009
                            Hi Alan

                            > Nothing to be embarrassed about its only human.
                            I should order a T-shirt with these words ;-)

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 12, 2009
                              He he yes, or a bummper sticker.