No sound output from main out or from headphone out! HELP! Show in 3 days!

  • hoggybogger
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2009
      I can hardly believe this happened, what bad timing too. While playing
      tonight my Mono/Poly went completely silent. Just was working fine and
      then like the cable was unplugged, no sound. Everything behaves like
      it's working, pressing a key in mono mode lights up all oscillators,
      pressing to poly mode works and I can see the individual osc's lighting
      up, but no sound, not even from the headphone jack.

      I will start combing through the messages here and try to do some
      troubleshooting in the meantime, but I'm hoping for some miracle to get
      this up and running in three days before my bands next show. More than
      half our set relies on the mono/poly, and I don't have any other
      keyboard that even comes close to sounding like this. Maybe my casio vl-
      tone, I could try that. :)

      Anyways I really am in shock, all humor aside. If anyone has any
      helpful info please shoot it my way. Thanks
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009

        Try setting all VCA Envelope potentiometers to lowest possible value,
        same for all the VCO-Levels and the VCF cutoff frequency.
        Turn up the Master volume very loud. If you hear a low "thumppp" or
        maybe "click" from the VCA envelope, then assumingly the SSM2044 is gone.
        If you don't hear the VCA envelope, then look for loose cabling. It is
        the wire coming from the most right board with the VCF/VCA (Connector
        CN16 pin 3) going to the most left board with LFOs and Bender (Connector
        CN2 pin 3). You may check the signal at the VCF/VCA-Board at connector
        CN16 (between EG-Intensity and KBD-Tracking pot) at pin 3.
        Also the connector from the LFO-board to the socket board my need to be
        reseated.

        Florian

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
          The only sound I seem to be able to get out of this, with it
          completely cranked up, is when the noise potentiometer is turned up,
          and the resonance and cutoff turned up. I can get a very faint hissy
          noise when I'm playing, and if I turn the resonance and cutoff while
          playing it changes the noise like you'd expect it to. Just almost
          completely inaudible, this was all the way up and then fed into a
          mixer with the gain all the way up.

          I did try all the settings you recommended and did not hear
          the "thwumppp" or the "click". I checked the wiring and it looked
          fine, I reseated connectors.

          I took the knobs off and backed the nuts off the pots, and took the
          CN16 connector off and measured pin 3, but I didn't seem to be
          getting anything. Should I be measuring it from the wire harness that
          goes into it? That's where I measured it. I could be doing something
          wrong. I did not check the CN2 pin 3, I was having difficulty finding
          it and had to quickly come up with an alternate solution for
          performing this wednesday night.

          I'm still hoping though, do you have any other recommendations based
          on what sound it's making, or by anything else I've written? Thanks
          so much for your input and time. I was much happier with a working
          mono/poly. I own a polysix as well, and these two synths have gone
          down so many times on me before shows, and during shows. . . I really
          ought to get the Korg Legacy 2007 and start performing with
          emulation. I still want to write and record with the real thing, just
          can't rely on them any longer it seems without becoming a tech!

          --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
            Hi

            hoggybogger schrieb:
            > The only sound I seem to be able to get out of this, with it
            > completely cranked up, is when the noise potentiometer is turned up,
            > and the resonance and cutoff turned up. I can get a very faint hissy
            > noise when I'm playing, and if I turn the resonance and cutoff while
            > playing it changes the noise like you'd expect it to. Just almost
            > completely inaudible, this was all the way up and then fed into a
            > mixer with the gain all the way up.
            This is good. It says the SSM2044 is not broken.

            > I took the knobs off and backed the nuts off the pots, and took the
            > CN16 connector off and measured pin 3, but I didn't seem to be
            > getting anything. Should I be measuring it from the wire harness that
            > goes into it? That's where I measured it. I could be doing something
            > wrong. I did not check the CN2 pin 3, I was having difficulty finding
            > it and had to quickly come up with an alternate solution for
            > performing this wednesday night.

            Basically I still think it is something not very troublesome; maybe the
            low/mid/high-Levelswitch or the volume potentiometer is dirty or (in
            worst case) broken. But both you could temporarily heal by bridging them.

            You may try to measure (or listen with an cable) to the following
            testpoints:
            http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_13_klm_353_layout_testpoints.jpg
            http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_14_klm_355_layout_testpoints.jpg
            These show the pcbs from the solderside, so you don't have to remove the
            pcbs from the front. The testpoints are marked yellow.

            Florian
          • hoggybogger
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
              Thanks for the reply Florian - I am wondering where to measure on the
              low/mid/high switch, there are eight points - do I just choose any
              one of the four pairs and do them across?

              I'm confused on how to measure the VCA out and VCF out testpoints,
              would I be looking for some kind of voltage reading, or is that for
              placing the output to an amp like an audio cable to test for sound?

              Thanks again for your help, I will have a chance to test some things
              out when I get out of work in around five hours.

              Rich

              <fanwander@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              >
              > hoggybogger schrieb:
              > > The only sound I seem to be able to get out of this, with it
              > > completely cranked up, is when the noise potentiometer is turned
              up,
              > > and the resonance and cutoff turned up. I can get a very faint
              hissy
              > > noise when I'm playing, and if I turn the resonance and cutoff
              while
              > > playing it changes the noise like you'd expect it to. Just almost
              > > completely inaudible, this was all the way up and then fed into a
              > > mixer with the gain all the way up.
              > This is good. It says the SSM2044 is not broken.
              >
              > > I took the knobs off and backed the nuts off the pots, and took
              the
              > > CN16 connector off and measured pin 3, but I didn't seem to be
              > > getting anything. Should I be measuring it from the wire harness
              that
              > > goes into it? That's where I measured it. I could be doing
              something
              > > wrong. I did not check the CN2 pin 3, I was having difficulty
              finding
              > > it and had to quickly come up with an alternate solution for
              > > performing this wednesday night.
              >
              > Basically I still think it is something not very troublesome; maybe
              the
              > low/mid/high-Levelswitch or the volume potentiometer is dirty or
              (in
              > worst case) broken. But both you could temporarily heal by bridging
              them.

              > You may try to measure (or listen with an cable) to the following
              > testpoints:

              http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_13_klm_353_layout_testpoints.j
              pg

              http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_14_klm_355_layout_testpoints.j
              pg
              > These show the pcbs from the solderside, so you don't have to
              remove the
              > pcbs from the front. The testpoints are marked yellow.
              >

              > Florian

            • hoggybogger
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
                It works now! Here's what happened tonight, I changed the volume pot
                to a new one (I had ordered a replacement a few years ago, never got
                around to installing it) and it didn't fix the problem.

                Then it occurred to me after messing with this for a bit, that it
                might be the MIDIJACK I installed on this last year - sure enough,
                one of the wires had come disconnected. Reconnecting it solved
                everything!

                So there was nothing wrong with my Mono/Poly, only the wiring for
                MIDIJACK kit I had put in. This whole ordeal at the very least got me
                to change the potentiometer, and learn a bit of troubleshooting.
                Thanks for your help Florian, I appreciate it.

                I also decided to purchase the Korg Legacy 2007 collection, since I
                don't own any official emulation synths. It will be nice to have a
                backup if one of these go down again. It just kind of makes sense to
                perform with a controller and laptop, this synth belongs in the
                studio, less gigging with it means less repairs. I just hope the
                software version sounds pretty good, I imagine it does!

                Working with the Mono/Poly and Polsix has been taxing because of
                frequent repairs (and I cannot afford to ship them out for
                professional work) but still very gratifying. The only thing that
                bothers me about the Polysix is the key contacts, I've tried multiple
                repair techniques without a solid fix. I tried a few methods, one
                recently which worked great for a month or two, and now a number of
                the keys are back to not playing, or intermittent. I also used the MG
                Electronics keypad repair kit, which worked great on my Mono/Poly,
                still working 10 years later with no key dropouts, but the Polysix
                for some reason has always had a problem.

                Anyways, I'm so glad it's working again. Back to normal.

                Rich

                --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "hoggybogger"
                <hoggybogger@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the reply Florian - I am wondering where to measure on
                the
                > low/mid/high switch, there are eight points - do I just choose any
                > one of the four pairs and do them across?
                >
                > I'm confused on how to measure the VCA out and VCF out testpoints,
                > would I be looking for some kind of voltage reading, or is that for
                > placing the output to an amp like an audio cable to test for sound?
                >
                > Thanks again for your help, I will have a chance to test some
                things
                > out when I get out of work in around five hours.
                >
                > Rich
                >
                > --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander
                > <fanwander@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi
                > >
                > > hoggybogger schrieb:
                > > > The only sound I seem to be able to get out of this, with it
                > > > completely cranked up, is when the noise potentiometer is
                turned
                > up,
                > > > and the resonance and cutoff turned up. I can get a very faint
                > hissy
                > > > noise when I'm playing, and if I turn the resonance and cutoff
                > while
                > > > playing it changes the noise like you'd expect it to. Just
                almost
                > > > completely inaudible, this was all the way up and then fed into
                > > > mixer with the gain all the way up.
                > > This is good. It says the SSM2044 is not broken.
                > >
                > > > I took the knobs off and backed the nuts off the pots, and took
                > the
                > > > CN16 connector off and measured pin 3, but I didn't seem to be
                > > > getting anything. Should I be measuring it from the wire
                harness
                > that
                > > > goes into it? That's where I measured it. I could be doing
                > something
                > > > wrong. I did not check the CN2 pin 3, I was having difficulty
                > finding
                > > > it and had to quickly come up with an alternate solution for
                > > > performing this wednesday night.
                > >
                > > Basically I still think it is something not very troublesome;
                maybe
                > the
                > > low/mid/high-Levelswitch or the volume potentiometer is dirty or
                > (in
                > > worst case) broken. But both you could temporarily heal by
                bridging
                > them.
                > >
                > > You may try to measure (or listen with an cable) to the following
                > > testpoints:

                http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_13_klm_353_layout_testpoints.j
                > pg

                http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_14_klm_355_layout_testpoints.j
                > pg
                > > These show the pcbs from the solderside, so you don't have to
                > remove the
                > > pcbs from the front. The testpoints are marked yellow.
                > >

                > > Florian

              • hoggybogger
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
                  Ok, I spoke too soon. It works, but not correctly now - something is
                  wrong with the VCA EG or something else, when I press a key I only
                  get a sound when I let go of the key, not when I press it down.

                  Turning the ADSR to 0 on the VCA EG then playing a key only gives a
                  sound when I let go of the key. When I turn the attack to 2 and press
                  a key, it still only plays when I let go but fades in and cuts out.
                  If I turn the sustain knob up, the note rings on endlessly, the
                  release knob doesn't appear to change anything.

                  Basically, I'm only getting sound when I let go of a key, what is
                  that a sign of? Just when I thought I was in the clear!

                  <hoggybogger@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > maybe
                  > > the
                  > > > low/mid/high-Levelswitch or the volume potentiometer is dirty
                  or
                  > > (in
                  > > > worst case) broken. But both you could temporarily heal by
                  > bridging
                  > > them.
                  > > >
                  > > > You may try to measure (or listen with an cable) to the
                  following
                  > > > testpoints:

                  http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_13_klm_353_layout_testpoints.j
                  > > pg

                  http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_14_klm_355_layout_testpoints.j
                  > > pg
                  > > > These show the pcbs from the solderside, so you don't have to
                  > > remove the
                  > > > pcbs from the front. The testpoints are marked yellow.

                • Chase Smith
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
                    From the internal keyboard or an external keyboard (CV/MIDI).

                    If it is from an external keyboard, then check the s-trig switch to make sure it is set on v-trig.  It sounds like it is getting a constant gate so it has something to do with the s-trig/v-trig conversion.

                    Chase

                    <hoggybogger@...> wrote:

> [...]

                    > maybe
                    > > the
                    > > > low/mid/high-Levelswitch or the volume potentiometer is dirty
                    or
                    > > (in
                    > > > worst case) broken. But both you could temporarily heal by
                    > bridging
                    > > them.
                    > > >
                    > > > You may try to measure (or listen with an cable) to the
                    following
                    > > > testpoints:

                    http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_13_klm_353_layout_testpoints.j
                    > > pg

                    http://fa.utfs.org/diy/korg_monopoly/mp_14_klm_355_layout_testpoints.j
                    > > pg
                    > > > These show the pcbs from the solderside, so you don't have
                    > > remove the
                    > > > pcbs from the front. The testpoints are marked yellow.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto:korg_mono-poly-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:korg_mono-poly-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • hoggybogger
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 10, 2009
                      It's from the internal keyboard, nothing external plugged in. So
                      frustrating.

                      --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Chase Smith <plus_321@...>

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 11, 2009
                        Did you re-wire the midi jack correctly?  have you the original
                        installation instructions to hand?

                        wrote:

                        > From the internal keyboard or an external keyboard (CV/MIDI).
                        >
                        > If it is from an external keyboard, then check the s-trig switch to
                        make sure it is set on v-trig.  It sounds like it is getting a
                        constant gate so it has something to do with the s-trig/v-trig
                        conversion.

                        > Chase

                      • hoggybogger
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 11, 2009
                          Yes, there was only one wire that was suspect, and I just double
                          checked the wiring via the midijack installation page.

                          The only other things I had done, were reseat the connectors on the
                          board with the VCA and VCF on it, and the connectors on the board
                          with the volume pot. I just checked them again, everything is seated
                          fine.

                          It is only making sound on the release of the key, not the initial
                          press. And the VCA controls seem wrong, they're working but in a
                          strange way it seems. I'm very confused by this.

                          --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Alan Dicker <alanmdicker@...>

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 11, 2009

                            I assume your MIDI-Extension is a MIDI to CV/Gate Interface.
                            What voltage does a voltmeter read at the gate-output of this interface?
                            If this voltage behaves also inverted, then it is perhaps an failure or
                            misconfiguration of this interface.

                            Florian

                          • hoggybogger
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 11, 2009
                              I'm pretty embarassed right now, I just figured out why this was
                              happening, and it's solved. After reading through the midijack manual
                              I came across a note that read "Since you are using the V-trigger
                              output from the MIDIJACK, set the TRIG POLARITY slide switch to
                              +15V" --- and sure enough, this must have happened between the time I
                              took this apart and resoldered that wire and put it back together,
                              the switch had been knocked to GND. It HAD been set correctly, and it
                              didn't occcur to me at all that it could have been moved.

                              I'm really happy now, yet still embarassed about missing that, just
                              moving one switch. Well, granted, it was another thing too with the
                              wire, but this latter error was all due my blindness. Fixed in time
                              for tonight's show.

                              Thanks again Florian and Alan for your input. If you hadn't have
                              mentioned the gate voltage, I wouldn't have investigated further and
                              come across the switch in the first place!

                              Rich

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 11, 2009
                                Those type of things catch out everyone at some time or another. Nothing to be embarrassed about its only human.  I hope you have a wicked show tonight. ;o)

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 12, 2009
                                  Hi Alan

                                  > Nothing to be embarrassed about its only human.
                                  I should order a T-shirt with these words ;-)

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 12, 2009
                                    He he yes, or a bummper sticker.