new member

  • frankvisser333
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2005
      Hello monopoly lovers,

      I am Frank from Holland and i've got a MP4 for about 6 months.
      Its not an easy synth and maybe i can learn more about this synth with
      the help of this group.
      So, hello everybody and greetings from Frank
    • hodsonmonster
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 27, 2005
        Hi Frank and welcome,

        yes this synth can be hard work, but still fun. Im still getting to grips with it myself and ive
        had it nearly a year.

        So welcome to the madness. Were all here to help one another. : )

        - Matt

        --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, "frankvisser333" <frankvisser333@h...>
        wrote:
        > Hello monopoly lovers,
        >
        > I am Frank from Holland and i've got a MP4 for about 6 months.
        > Its not an easy synth and maybe i can learn more about this synth with
        > the help of this group.
        > So, hello everybody and greetings from Frank
      • Tor Löwkranz
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2005

          Hi.

          Have you checked this site? lots of info.

          http://monopoly.highspies.com/

          peace

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 7, 2005
            Many thanx for the warm welcome.

            I knew the former zen site and it was helpfull.
            My biggest problem with this great synth is making sounds.
            I wanted to make simple strings but its not so easy to make them on
            this synth.
            Before the MP4 i had a akai ax73 so i know how a synth works but
            making just simple sounds is difficult.
            There are times when i'm thinking that my mp4 is broken because its
            almost impossible to create sounds but i cant compare my mp4 with
            another to check this.
            I know from other forums that there are more mp4 owners who can't make
            good sounds and are dissapointed by this synth.
            Any help is welcome
            greetings frank
          • John Girvin
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 7, 2005

              Just a few thoughts, besides welcome!

              Perhaps it would be best to simply listen to the synth first, before you try to conjure up “strings” “moog bass” or what have you.  Listen first to just one oscillator, (turn the others down) and adjust the filter cut-off, resonance, as you may be familiar with from your former synth.  Anyway, I always told my students that if you have a sound source, a way to vary the timbre over time, a way to affect pitch, and a way to affect volume you have a very expressive instrument.  I think once folks realize that, sound creation gets lots easier.  NOW, if you are looking for the “classic” analog synth sounds, (strings, the usual basses, leads and so forth), I think you can get pretty effective sounds from the mono-poly.  Don’t forget that even way back in the history of voltage controlled synths musicians looked for all sorts of ways to be more expressive with the instruments they had… they experimented with tape delays, chorus effects, distortion, etc…so what may have started out as a Moog, Arp, Korg, Roland or Oberheim often became another instrument altogether.   Many of the sounds we like on older records where also processed by compression/limiting, etc, which drastically effects the way we hear the synths.  Regarding the MP4 in particular, it’s a bit tough to get really great strings with our 21st century ears… what sounded unbelievably realistic in 1971 sounds merely like a “keyboard” sound today…

              Well, sorry for the verbiage, but I think you will be able to coax lots of expressive musical sounds from your MP4 if you play with it for lots of hours!!    Best of luck, and welcome to the forum.