Re: [korg_mono-poly] Hello, I am a new member.

    Message 1 of 15 , May 17, 2008
      Wasn't sure if it might be the wave form symmetry.  had a quick look through the service manual but couldn't find any thing on adjusting this.  another cause might be the sync effect being locked on but then if you get the same distortion on VCO 1 that wouldn't be it.  A sound file as Florian suggested would help.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 17, 2008
        Thanks a lot for all the help so far guys! I'll get a file up there tomorrow (+10hrs here).

        Cheers,

        Nick.
      • Nick Fletcher
        Message 3 of 15 , May 17, 2008
          I've made some recordings of the offender:

          OSC1 triangle, beginning with it's level all the way down and gradually increasing:
          http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/triangleOSC1.mp3 595KB

          OSC1 saw , beginning with it's level all the way down and gradually increasing:
          http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/sawOSC1.mp3 283KB

          OSC1 PWM , beginning with it's level all the way down and gradually increasing:
          http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/pwmOSC1.mp3 605KB

          OSC1 PW , beginning with it's level all the way down and gradually increasing:
          http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/pwOSC1.mp3 212KB

          Polyphonic mode,  triangles with resonance fully off:
          http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/trianglePOLY_resDown.mp3 126KB

          Polyphonic mode,  triangles with resonance fully up:
          http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/trianglePOLY_resUp.mp3 206KB

          Polyphonic mode,  saw with resonance fully off, then increased to fully up:
          http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/sawPOLY_resDownUp.mp3 591KB

          I hope you guys can help, but thanks very much for trying so far!
          Message 4 of 15 , May 18, 2008
            Hello Nick,

            I am sorry to tell you this, but this does not sound good. To me it
            sounds like a broken filter chip. Appearently the filter dose nto work
            as it sould do: The example
            > Polyphonic mode, triangles with resonance fully up:
            > http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/trianglePOLY_resUp.mp3 206KB
            shows no resonance at all, but feeds through some portion of the input
            signal to the output.

            Does the filter basically work? What happens if you turn the cutoff
            frequency potentiometer full counter clockwise?

            You might check, whether the SSM 2044 on the filter board is socketed
            and perhaps the chips got loose in the socket and needs to be reseated.
            If the chip is soldered direct to the pcb I think it is broken at all.

            Florian
          • Nick Fletcher
            Message 5 of 15 , May 18, 2008
              "Does the filter basically work? What happens if you turn the cutoff
              frequency potentiometer full counter clockwise?" - Florian

              Yes, it does work, but seems to lack and beef. And the resonance does not
              add the same type of squelch as you'd expect. I will check the ICs in the morning.

              Thank you so much for all your help!
              Message 6 of 15 , May 18, 2008

                Luckely the SSM 2044 can still be got quite cheap. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SSM-2044-4-POLE-VCF-REMOVED-ORIGINAL_W0QQitemZ120261021597QQihZ002QQcategoryZ38071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                count your self lucky you don't need a filter chip for a Prohpet 5 SSM 2040 £65 each. ouch http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SSM2040-SSM-2040-VCF-CHIP-FOR-Rev2-PROPHET-5-NOS-RARE_W0QQitemZ170218509386QQihZ007QQcategoryZ38071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                "Does the filter basically work? What happens if you turn the cutoff
                frequency potentiometer full counter clockwise?" - Florian

                Yes, it does work, but seems to lack and beef. And the resonance does not
                add the same type of squelch as you'd expect. I will check the ICs in the morning.

                Thank you so much for all your help!

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
                A Smarter Email.
              • Nick Fletcher
                Message 7 of 15 , May 18, 2008
                  The chip is firmly in it's bracket, so I guess it just died with the excitement of being used again after 14 years. :-)

                  I owe you guys a lot, because I was about to take her up to the big smoke and hand her over to a white coat, along with substantial hard earned.

                  All I can offer is a heads up on a nice vintage synth going on eBay:
                  http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260241655166&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=016

                  Once again, a BIG thank you!