Re: [korg_mono-poly] Hello, I am a new member.

  • Nick Fletcher
    Message 1 of 15 , May 17, 2008
      Hi Alan,

      It's not that either, but thanks for the suggestion mate.

      Nick.
      Message 2 of 15 , May 17, 2008

        And is it only tri waves that are sounding bad?

        It's not that either, but thanks for the suggestion mate.

        Nick.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
        A Smarter Email.
      • Nick Fletcher
        Message 3 of 15 , May 17, 2008
          It's not as noticeable on the saw and pulses, but they're being affected too. It's odd, everything was working fine when I first got it home. :-(

          Message 4 of 15 , May 17, 2008
            Hi Nick

            > The 'distortion' is not like an overdriven circuit sound, it's a lot
            > more bubbly. Almost like a high speed LFO is garbling up the signal.
            Can you put a sound example to the file-section of the yahoogroup?

            Message 5 of 15 , May 17, 2008
              Wasn't sure if it might be the wave form symmetry.  had a quick look through the service manual but couldn't find any thing on adjusting this.  another cause might be the sync effect being locked on but then if you get the same distortion on VCO 1 that wouldn't be it.  A sound file as Florian suggested would help.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 17, 2008
                Thanks a lot for all the help so far guys! I'll get a file up there tomorrow (+10hrs here).

                Cheers,

                Nick.
              • Nick Fletcher
                Message 7 of 15 , May 17, 2008
                  I've made some recordings of the offender:

                  OSC1 triangle, beginning with it's level all the way down and gradually increasing:
                  http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/triangleOSC1.mp3 595KB

                  OSC1 saw , beginning with it's level all the way down and gradually increasing:
                  http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/sawOSC1.mp3 283KB

                  OSC1 PWM , beginning with it's level all the way down and gradually increasing:
                  http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/pwmOSC1.mp3 605KB

                  OSC1 PW , beginning with it's level all the way down and gradually increasing:
                  http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/pwOSC1.mp3 212KB

                  Polyphonic mode,  triangles with resonance fully off:
                  http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/trianglePOLY_resDown.mp3 126KB

                  Polyphonic mode,  triangles with resonance fully up:
                  http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/trianglePOLY_resUp.mp3 206KB

                  Polyphonic mode,  saw with resonance fully off, then increased to fully up:
                  http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/sawPOLY_resDownUp.mp3 591KB

                  I hope you guys can help, but thanks very much for trying so far!
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 18, 2008
                    Hello Nick,

                    I am sorry to tell you this, but this does not sound good. To me it
                    sounds like a broken filter chip. Appearently the filter dose nto work
                    as it sould do: The example
                    > Polyphonic mode, triangles with resonance fully up:
                    > http://www.guitaraustralia.com/MonoPoly/trianglePOLY_resUp.mp3 206KB
                    shows no resonance at all, but feeds through some portion of the input
                    signal to the output.

                    Does the filter basically work? What happens if you turn the cutoff
                    frequency potentiometer full counter clockwise?

                    You might check, whether the SSM 2044 on the filter board is socketed
                    and perhaps the chips got loose in the socket and needs to be reseated.
                    If the chip is soldered direct to the pcb I think it is broken at all.

                    Florian
                  • Nick Fletcher
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 18, 2008
                      "Does the filter basically work? What happens if you turn the cutoff
                      frequency potentiometer full counter clockwise?" - Florian

                      Yes, it does work, but seems to lack and beef. And the resonance does not
                      add the same type of squelch as you'd expect. I will check the ICs in the morning.

                      Thank you so much for all your help!
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 18, 2008

                        Luckely the SSM 2044 can still be got quite cheap. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SSM-2044-4-POLE-VCF-REMOVED-ORIGINAL_W0QQitemZ120261021597QQihZ002QQcategoryZ38071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                        count your self lucky you don't need a filter chip for a Prohpet 5 SSM 2040 £65 each. ouch http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SSM2040-SSM-2040-VCF-CHIP-FOR-Rev2-PROPHET-5-NOS-RARE_W0QQitemZ170218509386QQihZ007QQcategoryZ38071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 18, 2008
                          The chip is firmly in it's bracket, so I guess it just died with the excitement of being used again after 14 years. :-)

                          I owe you guys a lot, because I was about to take her up to the big smoke and hand her over to a white coat, along with substantial hard earned.

                          All I can offer is a heads up on a nice vintage synth going on eBay:
                          http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260241655166&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=016

                          Once again, a BIG thank you!