Re: [korg_mono-poly] Anyone using the MidiJack on their Mono/Poly?

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007
      Hi Rich,

      > Hi all - I am ready to make my mono/poly have midi capability, and
      > came across the MidiJack at this link:
      > http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html
      > The only drawback that I can see is it's MONO only. Any opinions on
      > this? What is my next best alternative (with price being the factor,
      > I guess I should have said next cheapest)
      Looks, like the MIDI-Jack is a simple standard MIDI to CV/Gate interface.
      It is definitely NOT cheap. A Doepfer MCV4 costs may 20 USD more, but
      provides four CVs plus the Gate.

      I work with a multichanel MIDI CV interface (Harms Mac16 - german brand,
      but out of production), so I can use different triggers for Arpeggiator
      clock and GateIn, and also I can use different CVs for Note and Cutoff.

      At the moment I try to contact a guy who programmed a cool polyphonic
      MIDI Interface for the Polysix and the Trident. The Trident interface
      would require some software changes (start the matrix with F2 instead of
      C1), but would fit nicely to the MonoPoly from the hardware side.

      If this interface would also sync the Arpeggio to MIDI-Clock and provide
      an addition note for the Filter envelope - it would be the perfect beast.

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007
              Hi Rich,

              > Hi all - I am ready to make my mono/poly have midi capability, and
              > came across the MidiJack at this link:
              > http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html
              > The only drawback that I can see is it's MONO only. Any opinions on
              > this? What is my next best alternative (with price being the factor,
              > I guess I should have said next cheapest)
              Looks, like the MIDI-Jack is a simple standard MIDI to CV/Gate interface.
              It is definitely NOT cheap. A Doepfer MCV4 costs may 20 USD more, but
              provides four CVs plus the Gate.

              I work with a multichanel MIDI CV interface (Harms Mac16 - german brand,
              but out of production), so I can use different triggers for Arpeggiator
              clock and GateIn, and also I can use different CVs for Note and Cutoff.

              At the moment I try to contact a guy who programmed a cool polyphonic
              MIDI Interface for the Polysix and the Trident. The Trident interface
              would require some software changes (start the matrix with F2 instead of
              C1), but would fit nicely to the MonoPoly from the hardware side.

              If this interface would also sync the Arpeggio to MIDI-Clock and provide
              an addition note for the Filter envelope - it would be the perfect beast.

              Florian
            • hoggybogger
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007
                I would like to be able to utilize the arpeggiator and poly modes, I
                think it might depend on how much it costs to buy a unit that does it.
                I also own a Polysix! That would be nice to find a solution for
                both. I'm writing some dance music for a project and am unhappy with
                many softsynths and vst plugins (i'm using cubase), to be able to
                control my analog synths via midi and record the output would be ideal
                for many parts i'm envisioning. I could most possibly use the
                midijack and just layer parts multitrack style.

                The Harms unit you are using is no longer in production?

                Rich

                --- In korg_mono-poly@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander
                <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:

                > Hi Rich,
                >
                > > Hi all - I am ready to make my mono/poly have midi capability, and
                > > came across the MidiJack at this link:
                > > http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html
                > > The only drawback that I can see is it's MONO only. Any opinions on
                > > this? What is my next best alternative (with price being the factor,
                > > I guess I should have said next cheapest)
                > Looks, like the MIDI-Jack is a simple standard MIDI to CV/Gate
                interface.
                > It is definitely NOT cheap. A Doepfer MCV4 costs may 20 USD more, but
                > provides four CVs plus the Gate.
                >
                > I work with a multichanel MIDI CV interface (Harms Mac16 - german
                brand,
                > but out of production), so I can use different triggers for Arpeggiator
                > clock and GateIn, and also I can use different CVs for Note and Cutoff.
                >
                > At the moment I try to contact a guy who programmed a cool polyphonic
                > MIDI Interface for the Polysix and the Trident. The Trident interface
                > would require some software changes (start the matrix with F2
                instead of
                > C1), but would fit nicely to the MonoPoly from the hardware side.
                >
                > If this interface would also sync the Arpeggio to MIDI-Clock and
                provide
                > an addition note for the Filter envelope - it would be the perfect
                beast.

                > Florian

              • hoggybogger
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007

                  <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Rich,
                  >
                  > > Hi all - I am ready to make my mono/poly have midi capability, and
                  > > came across the MidiJack at this link:
                  > > http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html
                  > > The only drawback that I can see is it's MONO only. Any opinions on
                  > > this? What is my next best alternative (with price being the factor,
                  > > I guess I should have said next cheapest)
                  > Looks, like the MIDI-Jack is a simple standard MIDI to CV/Gate
                  interface.
                  > It is definitely NOT cheap. A Doepfer MCV4 costs may 20 USD more, but
                  > provides four CVs plus the Gate.
                  >
                  > I work with a multichanel MIDI CV interface (Harms Mac16 - german
                  brand,
                  > but out of production), so I can use different triggers for Arpeggiator
                  > clock and GateIn, and also I can use different CVs for Note and Cutoff.
                  >
                  > At the moment I try to contact a guy who programmed a cool polyphonic
                  > MIDI Interface for the Polysix and the Trident. The Trident interface
                  > would require some software changes (start the matrix with F2
                  instead of
                  > C1), but would fit nicely to the MonoPoly from the hardware side.
                  >
                  > If this interface would also sync the Arpeggio to MIDI-Clock and
                  provide
                  > an addition note for the Filter envelope - it would be the perfect
                  beast.

                  > Florian

                • hoggybogger
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007

                    <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Rich,
                    >
                    > > Hi all - I am ready to make my mono/poly have midi capability, and
                    > > came across the MidiJack at this link:
                    > > http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html
                    > > The only drawback that I can see is it's MONO only. Any opinions on
                    > > this? What is my next best alternative (with price being the factor,
                    > > I guess I should have said next cheapest)
                    > Looks, like the MIDI-Jack is a simple standard MIDI to CV/Gate
                    interface.
                    > It is definitely NOT cheap. A Doepfer MCV4 costs may 20 USD more, but
                    > provides four CVs plus the Gate.
                    >
                    > I work with a multichanel MIDI CV interface (Harms Mac16 - german
                    brand,
                    > but out of production), so I can use different triggers for Arpeggiator
                    > clock and GateIn, and also I can use different CVs for Note and Cutoff.
                    >
                    > At the moment I try to contact a guy who programmed a cool polyphonic
                    > MIDI Interface for the Polysix and the Trident. The Trident interface
                    > would require some software changes (start the matrix with F2
                    instead of
                    > C1), but would fit nicely to the MonoPoly from the hardware side.
                    >
                    > If this interface would also sync the Arpeggio to MIDI-Clock and
                    provide
                    > an addition note for the Filter envelope - it would be the perfect
                    beast.

                    > Florian

                  • hoggybogger
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007

                      <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Rich,
                      >
                      > > Hi all - I am ready to make my mono/poly have midi capability, and
                      > > came across the MidiJack at this link:
                      > > http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html
                      > > The only drawback that I can see is it's MONO only. Any opinions on
                      > > this? What is my next best alternative (with price being the factor,
                      > > I guess I should have said next cheapest)
                      > Looks, like the MIDI-Jack is a simple standard MIDI to CV/Gate
                      interface.
                      > It is definitely NOT cheap. A Doepfer MCV4 costs may 20 USD more, but
                      > provides four CVs plus the Gate.
                      >
                      > I work with a multichanel MIDI CV interface (Harms Mac16 - german
                      brand,
                      > but out of production), so I can use different triggers for Arpeggiator
                      > clock and GateIn, and also I can use different CVs for Note and Cutoff.
                      >
                      > At the moment I try to contact a guy who programmed a cool polyphonic
                      > MIDI Interface for the Polysix and the Trident. The Trident interface
                      > would require some software changes (start the matrix with F2
                      instead of
                      > C1), but would fit nicely to the MonoPoly from the hardware side.
                      >
                      > If this interface would also sync the Arpeggio to MIDI-Clock and
                      provide
                      > an addition note for the Filter envelope - it would be the perfect
                      beast.

                      > Florian

                    • hoggybogger
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007

                        <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Rich,
                        >
                        > > Hi all - I am ready to make my mono/poly have midi capability, and
                        > > came across the MidiJack at this link:
                        > > http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html
                        > > The only drawback that I can see is it's MONO only. Any opinions on
                        > > this? What is my next best alternative (with price being the factor,
                        > > I guess I should have said next cheapest)
                        > Looks, like the MIDI-Jack is a simple standard MIDI to CV/Gate
                        interface.
                        > It is definitely NOT cheap. A Doepfer MCV4 costs may 20 USD more, but
                        > provides four CVs plus the Gate.
                        >
                        > I work with a multichanel MIDI CV interface (Harms Mac16 - german
                        brand,
                        > but out of production), so I can use different triggers for Arpeggiator
                        > clock and GateIn, and also I can use different CVs for Note and Cutoff.
                        >
                        > At the moment I try to contact a guy who programmed a cool polyphonic
                        > MIDI Interface for the Polysix and the Trident. The Trident interface
                        > would require some software changes (start the matrix with F2
                        instead of
                        > C1), but would fit nicely to the MonoPoly from the hardware side.
                        >
                        > If this interface would also sync the Arpeggio to MIDI-Clock and
                        provide
                        > an addition note for the Filter envelope - it would be the perfect
                        beast.

                        > Florian

                      • hoggybogger
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007

                          <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Rich,
                          >
                          > > Hi all - I am ready to make my mono/poly have midi capability, and
                          > > came across the MidiJack at this link:
                          > > http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html
                          > > The only drawback that I can see is it's MONO only. Any opinions on
                          > > this? What is my next best alternative (with price being the factor,
                          > > I guess I should have said next cheapest)
                          > Looks, like the MIDI-Jack is a simple standard MIDI to CV/Gate
                          interface.
                          > It is definitely NOT cheap. A Doepfer MCV4 costs may 20 USD more, but
                          > provides four CVs plus the Gate.
                          >
                          > I work with a multichanel MIDI CV interface (Harms Mac16 - german
                          brand,
                          > but out of production), so I can use different triggers for Arpeggiator
                          > clock and GateIn, and also I can use different CVs for Note and Cutoff.
                          >
                          > At the moment I try to contact a guy who programmed a cool polyphonic
                          > MIDI Interface for the Polysix and the Trident. The Trident interface
                          > would require some software changes (start the matrix with F2
                          instead of
                          > C1), but would fit nicely to the MonoPoly from the hardware side.
                          >
                          > If this interface would also sync the Arpeggio to MIDI-Clock and
                          provide
                          > an addition note for the Filter envelope - it would be the perfect
                          beast.

                          > Florian

                        • hoggybogger
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007

                            <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Rich,
                            >
                            > > Hi all - I am ready to make my mono/poly have midi capability, and
                            > > came across the MidiJack at this link:
                            > > http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html
                            > > The only drawback that I can see is it's MONO only. Any opinions on
                            > > this? What is my next best alternative (with price being the factor,
                            > > I guess I should have said next cheapest)
                            > Looks, like the MIDI-Jack is a simple standard MIDI to CV/Gate
                            interface.
                            > It is definitely NOT cheap. A Doepfer MCV4 costs may 20 USD more, but
                            > provides four CVs plus the Gate.
                            >
                            > I work with a multichanel MIDI CV interface (Harms Mac16 - german
                            brand,
                            > but out of production), so I can use different triggers for Arpeggiator
                            > clock and GateIn, and also I can use different CVs for Note and Cutoff.
                            >
                            > At the moment I try to contact a guy who programmed a cool polyphonic
                            > MIDI Interface for the Polysix and the Trident. The Trident interface
                            > would require some software changes (start the matrix with F2
                            instead of
                            > C1), but would fit nicely to the MonoPoly from the hardware side.
                            >
                            > If this interface would also sync the Arpeggio to MIDI-Clock and
                            provide
                            > an addition note for the Filter envelope - it would be the perfect
                            beast.

                            > Florian

                          • hoggybogger
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007

                              <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Rich,
                              >
                              > > Hi all - I am ready to make my mono/poly have midi capability, and
                              > > came across the MidiJack at this link:
                              > > http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html
                              > > The only drawback that I can see is it's MONO only. Any opinions on
                              > > this? What is my next best alternative (with price being the factor,
                              > > I guess I should have said next cheapest)
                              > Looks, like the MIDI-Jack is a simple standard MIDI to CV/Gate
                              interface.
                              > It is definitely NOT cheap. A Doepfer MCV4 costs may 20 USD more, but
                              > provides four CVs plus the Gate.
                              >
                              > I work with a multichanel MIDI CV interface (Harms Mac16 - german
                              brand,
                              > but out of production), so I can use different triggers for Arpeggiator
                              > clock and GateIn, and also I can use different CVs for Note and Cutoff.
                              >
                              > At the moment I try to contact a guy who programmed a cool polyphonic
                              > MIDI Interface for the Polysix and the Trident. The Trident interface
                              > would require some software changes (start the matrix with F2
                              instead of
                              > C1), but would fit nicely to the MonoPoly from the hardware side.
                              >
                              > If this interface would also sync the Arpeggio to MIDI-Clock and
                              provide
                              > an addition note for the Filter envelope - it would be the perfect
                              beast.

                              > Florian

                            • hoggybogger
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007

                                <Florian.Anwander@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Rich,
                                >
                                > > Hi all - I am ready to make my mono/poly have midi capability, and
                                > > came across the MidiJack at this link:
                                > > http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html
                                > > The only drawback that I can see is it's MONO only. Any opinions on
                                > > this? What is my next best alternative (with price being the factor,
                                > > I guess I should have said next cheapest)
                                > Looks, like the MIDI-Jack is a simple standard MIDI to CV/Gate
                                interface.
                                > It is definitely NOT cheap. A Doepfer MCV4 costs may 20 USD more, but
                                > provides four CVs plus the Gate.
                                >
                                > I work with a multichanel MIDI CV interface (Harms Mac16 - german
                                brand,
                                > but out of production), so I can use different triggers for Arpeggiator
                                > clock and GateIn, and also I can use different CVs for Note and Cutoff.
                                >
                                > At the moment I try to contact a guy who programmed a cool polyphonic
                                > MIDI Interface for the Polysix and the Trident. The Trident interface
                                > would require some software changes (start the matrix with F2
                                instead of
                                > C1), but would fit nicely to the MonoPoly from the hardware side.
                                >
                                > If this interface would also sync the Arpeggio to MIDI-Clock and
                                provide
                                > an addition note for the Filter envelope - it would be the perfect
                                beast.

                                > Florian

                              • Jase From Outta Space
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 28, 2007
                                  >I would like to be able to utilize the arpeggiator and poly modes, I
                                  > think it might depend on how much it costs to buy a unit that does it.
                                  > I also own a Polysix! That would be nice to find a solution for
                                  > both. I'm writing some dance music for a project and am unhappy with
                                  > many softsynths and vst plugins (i'm using cubase),

                                  Just a (contraversial) suggestion:

                                  Have you tried Korg's own Mono/Poly VST model which comes part of the very
                                  cheap Analogue Edition 2007 package?

                                  www.korguser.net .... grab the demo version (you'll need a Syncrosoft dongle
                                  on which to hold the temporary demo license).

                                  I'm finding it to be a very satisfying substitute for a real Mono/Poly and
                                  it has capabilities which far exceed the original (up to 128 voices of poly
                                  / 8 way modulation matrix / host syncable MG's). Run it at 96kHz 24bit or
                                  higher and you'll find it sounds even more lifelike.

                                  Oh yeah you'll also get the superb sounding PolySix and MS20 models in the
                                  package plus Legacy Cell all for around a 1/5th of the price of a real
                                  Mono/Poly in good condition.

                                  Just a thought ....

                                  Cheers

                                  jasefos
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 29, 2007
                                    Hi Rich

                                    > I would like to be able to utilize the arpeggiator and poly modes, I
                                    > think it might depend on how much it costs to buy a unit that does it.
                                    > I also own a Polysix! That would be nice to find a solution for
                                    > both. I'm writing some dance music for a project and am unhappy with
                                    > many softsynths and vst plugins (i'm using cubase), to be able to
                                    > control my analog synths via midi and record the output would be ideal
                                    > for many parts i'm envisioning. I could most possibly use the
                                    > midijack and just layer parts multitrack style.
                                    All you said is valid for me (with the exception, that I am using
                                    Ableton Live and/or Logic).

                                    It would be perfect to have the five octaves as notes. Higher (or lower)
                                    notes should be used to switch the keyboard mode: Imagine you could
                                    press four notes by MIDI and the switch by MIDI to chordmemory; then you
                                    could play the memorized chord again by MIDI; then switch by MIDI to
                                    arpeggiator and then give the arpeggio notes by MIDI.... endless games)

                                    > The Harms unit you are using is no longer in production?
                                    No itis no longer in production. The company was a one man show from
                                    Hamburg. The guy did programming for theater and TV lighting. The
                                    interface originally was inspired by a performance, where a musician
                                    coupled CV-controlled dimmers to an analogue modular synth. Harms
                                    thought, that it is cool to have the same, but having a MIDI-keyboard
                                    instead of the analog synth keyboard: The envelopes and the LFO (with
                                    modulation amount by MIDI-events!) are calculated in the interface. So
                                    in the first run he did not intend to use it for synths!

                                    In fact: If you have a VCO/VCF/VCA you can do the rest (programmable!)
                                    in the interface. A very nice aspect is, that you can assign several
                                    gates in different retrigger modes to one "voice" (which is defined by
                                    the channel, which produces the keyboard CV). Example given: you play
                                    legato and every new key triggers a VCA-envelope, but only the notes
                                    after a pause cause a VCF-Envelope.

                                    The complete project died, when Hauke lost his complete computer gear -
                                    computer with harddisk, all backup tapes, everything (don't know the
                                    exact circumstances).