like water on a rock or off a duck’s butt…

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2008
      like water on a rock or off a duck's butt…

      the every day life of me

      About Me
      The most salient marker in my life begins with my status as a First
      Generation Korean Adoptee having been adopted in the late 1950's by
      White American parents. My adoption has affected my life tremendously
      in both known and unknown ways. Also prominent in my self-identity is
      my membership in the Queer community as a bisexual woman.

      I am currently in a long term committed relationship with a White man.
      This relationship at various and frequent times both enriches and
      enrages my life and sensibilities. I am a mother of one adult child
      who is the best daughter a mother could ever hope for. She has three
      children which makes me a Grammie three times over.

      A change in career puts me in the category of a non-traditional
      (surprise!) student and I earned my doctoral degree in clinical
      psychology this year. I will begin my 12-month postdoctoral
      fellowship in September, 2008. My career prior to this transition was
      as a contract paralegal working in civil law.

      My clinical areas of expertise are: adoption (with particular
      emphasis working with adoptees in their adulthood), issues of race and
      class, Queer population, women's issues, mid-life to late-life
      concerns, and alcohol/substance abuse.

      My hobbies and interests include adoption issues, garage sales (aka
      GS'ing), cooking, new agey kind of stuff, daily minutia, my familia,
      reading, writing - poetry and creative non-fiction, race & class
      issues, gardening, creating art, and walking - especially with loved
      ones. A few of my favorite reads are The Secret Life of Bees by Sue
      Monk, anything written by Alice Hoffman, The Paperboy by Pete Dexter,
      The Language of Blood by Jane Jeong Trenka, Prodigal Summer by Barbara
      Kingsolver, Turning Japanese by David Mura, Yellow Raft on Blue Water
      by Michael Dorris, Kent Haruf's work, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and
      my very own creative non-fiction and poetry.

      Finally, the title of this blog is a reminder to myself of my daily
      choice of either allowing life's challenges to wear me down or letting
      them gently slide off me like rivulets of water. I like to think that
      the drops have smoothed my rough edges, like a smooth stone, allowing
      me to tumble along with life's tides and eddies more freely. Plus,
      spying an upturned duck butt in a pond is a sure fire way of making me
      smile, no matter what my original mood.