US Olympic medallist finds South Korean birth father

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2007
      US Olympic medallist finds South Korean birth father
      Reuters

      Toby Dawson (right) and his fiance Leah Halmi participate in a
      ceremony
      at the main office of the Korea Tourism Organisation in Seoul
      yesterday.
      The Korea Tourism Organisation appointed the US skier as a goodwill
      ambassador to promote Korean tourism.

      US Olympic freestyle skiing medallist Toby Dawson said yesterday he
      had
      found his biological father and would be meeting him 25 years after
      going missing as a toddler in a busy market street in South Korea.

      Dawson became an overnight sensation in South Korea when he won the
      bronze in men's freestyle skiing moguls at the Turin Winter Olympics
      last year.

      After his Olympic glory, pictures of him beaming in Turin graced the
      front pages of South Korean papers along with a shot of him as a sad
      small boy wearing a tattered shirt at an orphanage waiting for someone
      to claim him.

      He was abandoned as a toddler and later put up for adoption.

      Several people came forward after the Olympics to say they were his
      biological father.

      "I guess the necessary questions for me to understand would be why I
      was
      lost for so long and why I was in an orphanage and why the search
      wasn't
      a little bit stronger and efforts weren't a little bigger to help and
      come find me," he said.

      DNA testing in recent weeks confirmed that a bus driver in the
      southern
      port city of Pusan, Kim Jae-su, 53, who had come forward last year
      after
      Dawson won his Olympic medal, was indeed his biological father.

      "It's going to be exciting, and I look forward to meeting this man,"
      Dawson said.

      Dawson, 28, was adopted at the age of three by a pair of ski
      instructors
      in Colorado.

      He said childhood was at times difficult because he often stood out in
      his adopted community.

      http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=253588