First International Adoptee Organization of its Kind is Launched at Washington Conference

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2006
      First International Adoptee Organization of its Kind is Launched at
      Washington Conference

      Download this press release as an Adobe PDF document.

      With its official launch confirmed by its first annual conference, the
      International Adoptee Congress (IAC) came into being in early November
      2006 as the first organization of its kind -- a nationwide organization
      organized by, and populated by, and created for, adult international
      adoptees. International adoptees are adopted individuals who came to
      live in the United States from foreign countries.

      Washington, DC (PRWEB) December 1, 2006 -- With its official launch
      confirmed by its first annual conference, the International Adoptee
      Congress (IAC) came into being in early November 2006 as the first
      organization of its kind -- a nationwide organization organized by, and
      populated by, and created for, adult international adoptees.
      International adoptees are adopted individuals who came to live in the
      United States from foreign countries. Among the numerous projects and
      initiatives IAC members are already developing are programs that will
      support international adoptees of all ages and help them to network on a
      personal level; a network of research and researchers that will help
      gather and synthesize the myriad academic and scholarly information
      available on international adoptees and international adoption issues;
      programs to link adoptees to their birth cultures in diverse ways;
      venues for creative expression through the arts and media; and a
      quarterly online newsletter.

      Following the conclusion of the first International Adoptee Congress
      gathering in Washington, DC (November 3-5), IAC President Bert Ballard
      said that the Congress's first gathering had fulfilled all his
      expectations for it. "I was hoping that we would come together as a
      group, recognizing that we have more similarities than differences, and
      would unveil a national agenda to help shift the paradigm on how
      international adoptees are viewed within the international adoption
      community. We did all that." And, in the process, noted Ballard, 34, who
      was adopted from Vietnam in 1975 as part of Operation Babylift, and grew
      up in Colorado, "We brought together a variety of different adopted
      individuals from different birth countries as well as places of
      residence, occupations, ages, and experiences, and established common
      ground to speak with a unified voice."

      Forty-seven internationally born adoptees, representing nine different
      birth countries, are founding members of the IAC, while 32 attended the
      first gathering in November. The countries represented are South Korea,
      India, Vietnam, Iran, Colombia, China, the Philippines, Colombia,
      Russia, and Greece. The Congress gathering itself encompassed formal and
      personal introductions, the development of broad goals for the
      organization, and then the creation of committees focused on specific
      spheres of activity for the organization going forward.

      Participants from all backgrounds expressed enthusiasm about the process
      and the outcome of the November meeting. "I'm proud to be a member of
      the IAC," said Jared Rehberg, 32, a Vietnamese-born adoptee from New
      York City. "It has always been a dream of mine to work with other
      adoptees to help create a voice for our community and empower the
      younger generation." Rehberg, a professional musician, is involved in
      the creative expression committee, and is also a co-publisher of In
      Third Space (www.inthirdspace.net), an international adoptee-oriented
      online publication, which he sees as complementary to the goals of the
      IAC.

      Bert Ballard emphasized that the creation of the IAC will facilitate a
      new level of dialogue among all the stakeholder groups involved in
      international adoption--adoptive parents, birth parents, adoption
      agencies, psychological and counseling professionals, public policy
      leaders, the news media, the general public--and, most importantly,
      international adoptees themselves, who until now have largely been the
      silent voice in public discussions of the policy and personal
      implications of international adoption.

      "The IAC is an opportunity for us to speak out and begin to take
      responsibility for ourselves and our own community," he concluded. "To
      members of the other stakeholder groups, our message is, the creation of
      this new organization represents a shared desire to support, empower and
      give voice to international adoptees from everywhere. It's all about
      dialogue and mutual understanding, and we welcome the support from and
      communication with everyone."

      To learn more about the International Adoptee Congress, go to its
      website at www.internationaladopteecongress.org. For media inquiries,
      e-mail Mark Hagland, Media Committee Member, at call (773) 248-2305.