Material Mom's vexing adoptionBy Annette John-Hall

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1 6:25 AM
      Material Mom's vexing adoptionBy Annette John-Hall
      Inquirer Columnist
      It is time, as one of my girlfriends cracked, for Madonna to "come to
      Jesus." In the shallow realm of pop culture, that would be Oprah.

      The Material Girl, accused in recent days of everything from baby-buying
      to baby-stealing after she procured a 1-year-old from the East African
      country of Malawi, is due to explain her side of her acrimonious
      adoption on Oprah today.

      While it might seem as though adopting from Africa has overtaken
      Hollywood like oversized pocketbooks and undersized pocket puppies, I
      admire anyone who desires to make life better for a child. A-listers
      from George Clooney to Brangelina have lent their might and millions to
      various projects across the continent, and it's all good.

      And Madonna has put her money behind the Raising Malawi orphan-care
      initiative, much needed in a country with one million orphaned children
      in a population of only 12 million.

      It was probably her millions that allowed Madonna to jump ahead in the
      adoption line, circumventing the normal waiting period. According to
      reports in The (Nairobi) Nation, the pop priestess also called ahead for
      Malawians to provide a dozen 1-year-olds from whom to pluck the Chosen
      One. Madonna selected David Banda - whose father had placed him in an
      orphanage after David's mother died from complications during childbirth
      - to whisk away in her private jet.

      (Check that. She didn't whisk David away. She left that task to a
      personal assistant and a security guard, who hustled the child through
      the airport hidden under a hoodie as if he were a pint-sized perp.)

      There's something incredibly unseemly about the whole thing. The human
      safari-ness of it all.

      While criticism has focused on the murky transaction, the issue of
      transracial adoption, fraught with controversy, lurks closely behind.

      Many whites have resisted African American kids, preferring instead to
      adopt from Europe or Asia. Blacks don't take too kindly to the idea,
      either. In 1972, the Association of Black Social Workers decried white
      families' adopting black kids as a form of "cultural genocide."

      That may sound harsh, but a look back at history reveals why many
      African Americans share the sentiment. The slave trade stripped black
      people of their land and culture, breaking down families and social
      communities, repercussions that are still being felt today.

      So for Madonna, and the thousands of other white parents who adopt
      outside their race, the question is how to reconcile the lure of a
      better life for a child while maintaining his or her innate identity.

      At an adoption forum I attended over the weekend, Gail Farber, a
      pediatrician and white mother of an adopted Korean son, laughed when she
      related the boy's story. As he grew up, he moved from their bucolic
      Villanova home to New York and discovered, to his utter delight, a
      community of fellow adopted Korean kids.

      "Mom," he told her, "I think I found my people!"

      It is a legitimate concern even for the white children of white adoptive
      parents, who confessed at the forum that they struggle with identity
      just by virtue of being adopted.

      The thing is, you can be a Madonna with hundreds of millions to toss
      around like your hair, private jets at your disposal, and personal
      assistants on call. But extreme wealth does not a quality of life make.

      In her memoir Unbowed, Kenyan environmentalist Wangari Maathai, winner
      of the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize, writes that although her family was
      illiterate and poor, they were rich in self-sufficiency because of their
      relationship with the land - and each other.

      Rather than Madonna's bestowing a golden ticket on one lucky child,
      taking him away from his country and people, why not teach the fisherman
      to fish?

      Oprah is building a learning academy for girls in South Africa. Bono has
      created a lobbying group that will push to reduce the debt in the
      poorest African nations.

      It doesn't take much. The simple idea of Muhammad Yunus and his Grameen
      Bank of extending micro-credit to poor people won the 2006 Nobel Peace
      Prize. More important, it will help future generations break out of
      poverty - without having to leave home.

      We'll have to wait and see what happens with Madonna's adoption. Yohane
      Banda, David's father, who is illiterate, now claims that he didn't
      realize the adoption was permanent and wants his son back. Madonna
      claims otherwise. I suspect the almighty Oprah will enlighten us to what
      the real deal is today.

      I've never considered Madonna - she of the Sex coffee-table book and
      crucifixion reenactments - a moral guide. But I'd have a lot more
      respect for her if she did what was morally right and gave the baby

      Find Annette John-Hall's blog at http://go.philly.com/freeflow

      Contact staff writer Annette John-Hall at 215-854-4986 or
      ajohnhall@.... To read her recent work, go to