Konformist: Earth First News 10-08-99

  • Robalini@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 1999

      strider@...

      THE LEGACY OF LUNA: The Story of a Tree, A Woman and the Struggle to
      Save the Redwoods by Julia Butterfly Hill -- To be published in Spring 2000
      --
      Circle of Life Foundation <info@...>
      Julia Butterfly - HarperSanFrancisco Press Release

      We are very proud to be able to forward you the following press release
      from HarperSanFrancisco.

      We looked very hard for a publisher that would produce our book on the
      highest quality, most environmentally sound paper and ink available. We
      feel like we have made the right decision. See the last paragraph of the
      press release for details about the book's recycled and dioxin free content.

      Julia remains very busy working on the final touches of the book and
      continuing to speak at different events around the country. The book will
      be available next spring.

      With love and respect for all life,

      Jeff Davis
      Circle of Life Foundation
      PO Box 388
      Garberville, CA 95542
      (707) 923-9522

      Contact: Meg Lenihan, 415-477-4407
      Email: meg.lenihan@...

      True Heroine for Today Pens Story

      September 27, 1999--HarperSanFrancisco, a division of HarperCollins, is
      pleased to announce that it has reached an agreement to publish the
      astonishing, true story of Julia Butterfly Hill's courageous struggle to
      save the ancient redwoods. Hill's story is one of conviction,
      perseverance, and the profound courage and determination it takes to fight
      against all odds for the things that matter most.

      On December 10th, 1997, Julia Butterfly Hill climbed a 1,000-year-old,
      200-foot-tall redwood tree named Luna to protest the destructive logging of
      the old-growth redwood forests in Northern California by the Pacific Lumber
      Company, a division of the Houston-based Maxxam Corporation. Hill never
      planned to become what some have called her--the Rosa Parks of the
      environmental movement. When she first climbed up the tree, she had no
      idea she would have to endure the violence of El Ni�o storms. She never
      imagined that Pacific Lumber's subcontractor would buzz her tree with
      helicopters or that she would be the object of a ten-day siege by company
      security guards in an effort to cut off her supplies. She never envisioned
      being an eyewitness to the mass destruction of one of the last redwood
      forests in the world, forests that took over a thousand years to grow.

      As of this writing, Hill has remained in Luna for over 650 days. Emerging
      as both a celebrity and a new heroine for today, she has been featured in
      Time, Rolling Stone, New York Times, USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, the
      San Francisco Examiner, and on CNN, NBC's "Dateline," and National Public
      Radio. Chosen as one of George magazine's "20 Most Fascinating Women in
      Politics" (9/99 issue), nominated for Good Housekeeping's 30th Annual Most
      Admired Women in 1998, and featured in People's "The 25 Most Intriguing
      People of the Year" (1998) issue, Julia is expected to cause quite a stir
      with the publication of her story. Julia's lone vigil has drawn
      international attention to the plight of the redwoods, with television,
      radio, print, and Internet journalists, as well as fellow activists Bonnie
      Raitt and Joan Baez, making the pilgrimage to Luna. She receives hundreds
      of letters weekly from people around the world. She has delivered keynote
      addresses via cellular phone to enviro!
      nmental conferences, served as panelist on the United Nations Commission on
      Human Settlements, and received an Honorary Doctorate Degree of Humanities
      from the New College of California School of Humanities. For millions,
      Julia's courage and commitment have transformed Luna into a powerful symbol
      of hope and respect for all life.

      Forest activist Julia Butterfly Hill, 25, is a writer and poet. She helped
      form the Circle of Life Foundation to promote the sustainability,
      restoration, and preservation of life. The Foundation is affiliated with
      and fiscally sponsored by the nonprofit Trees Foundation working for the
      conservation and preservation of forest ecosystems.

      To be published in Spring 2000, THE LEGACY OF LUNA: The Story of a Tree, A
      Woman and the Struggle to Save the Redwoods by Julia Butterfly Hill will
      present the full story as only she can tell it. The book will be published
      on paper that is made up of 70% FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council)
      certified paper which meets the strictest requirements to ensure not only
      sustainable forests, but practices that protect indigenous cultures,
      biodiversity, and employee relations in the areas where the wood is
      harvested. The paper is also composed of 30% post-consumer recycled
      fibers. All fibers, both recycled and FSC, are processed in a totally
      chlorine-free TCF process. TCF bleaching is a pollution prevention process
      that does not create dioxin in our waterways or air. The book will be
      printed with soy-based ink. All of the author's profits will go to the
      Circle of Life Foundation.
      # # #
      Praise for Julia Butterfly Hill:

      "Julia is a lightning rod 180 feet atop a giant redwood. She says, 'No more
      old-growth redwoods should be cut--not on my watch.' She's the Joan of Arc
      of the redwoods."
      --Mickey Hart (from Rolling Stone)

      "Julia gives such special shine to the word 'possible.' I think better and
      with sweeter resolve knowing such as she dances in the trees...Julia answers
      the question: 'Can one person make a difference?'"
      --Patch Adams, MD

      "Visiting Julia Butterfly was one of the most remarkable experiences of my
      life."
      --Joan Baez

      "To experience Julia's commitment and love for these forests in person was a
      life-changing event. She was literally shining."
      --Bonnie Raitt

      "Julia's evolved into a incredibly powerful figure."
      --Woody Harrelson (from People)

      *****

      The Press Democrat
      Santa Rosa, California,
      Wednesday, September 29, 1999; Empire News, Page B-1

      BARI BOMB CASE TAINTED BY LIES
      by CHRIS COURSEY, Press Democrat columnist

      We may never know the truth about who bombed anti-logging activists Judi
      Bari and Darryl Cherney as they drove through Oakland on a May morning in
      1990. But we found out a lot about the lies last week.

      The justices of the U.S. Court of Appeals in San Francisco didn't actually
      use the word "lies" in ruling that Oakland police won't be let off the hook
      for their investigation of the bombing. No, the justices have better
      manners than that. Instead, their 25-page opinion says "false and reckless
      statements," "inaccurate information" and "misrepresentations" tainted the
      Oakland Police Department's handling of the case.

      But I don't have such nice manners. When I read the court's ruling, I came
      to this blunt conclusion: The cops lied.

      They lied to me and to the rest of the media. We passed those lies on to you.

      Bari and Cherney were arrested shortly after the bomb exploded in Bari's
      car. Police and FBI agents contended that the two Earth First radicals were
      "terrorists," carrying the bomb as part of their "Redwood Summer" campaign
      against the North Coast's corporate loggers.

      To support that contention, police said the bomb was easily visible on the
      back floorboard of Bari's Subaru, and that nails used as shrapnel in the
      bomb matched a bag of nails found In Bari's car and, later, nails found in
      Bari's Mendocino County home.

      Damning evidence, to be sure. It likely convinced plenty of observers that
      that the two scruffy activists probably got what they deserved.

      But it wasn't true.

      * * *

      Bari, who was permanently disabled by the blast and died in I997 of breast
      cancer, and Cherney vigorously denied knowledge of the bomb. They accused
      the FBI and Oakland police of bungling the bombing investigation by
      focusing their probe solely on the victims. When no charges were filed, the
      pair sued. They allege among other things - that the bureau and the police
      violated their First Amendment rights by conspiring to squelch their
      political activities.

      Tensions in timber country were high that year, with environmental
      activists and loggers squaring off in the forests and on the streets of
      several North Coast towns. Oakland police felt the heat as Bari, from her
      hospital bed, and Cherney, with a bullhorn, organized repeated
      demonstrations calling for a "full and fair" probe of the crime.

      The police responded with announcements and leaks to improve perceptions of
      their investigation: The nails on the bomb carried the same fabrication
      "fingerprint" as those in a bag in Bari's car and home, all of which came
      from a batch of between 200 and 1,000 nails. The bomb was not hidden in the
      car; Bari and Cherney had to have seen it when they loaded the vehicle.

      But the justices wrote last week that "it would be obvious to any objective
      observer'' that the nails in the bomb were not similar to the others in
      Bari's car, one set had flat heads, the other round heads. Nails are made
      in batches of millions, not less than 1,000 (the FBI "expert" to whom
      police attributed that statement denied ever saying it). Damage to the car
      showed that the bomb was directly under Bari's driver's seat, and further
      evidence indicated it was hidden under a towel.

      Oakland police had asked the court to dismiss them from the activists'
      suit, but the justices declined. The police, the court said, had made
      "false and reckless statements about the location of the bomb" and "false
      and reckless statements tying nails possessed by Bari to the bomb."

      Further, the activists' lawyers have produced "sufficient evidence that FBI
      agents had intended to inhibit" Bari and Cherney's political activities,
      and "sufficient circumstantial evidence" that FBI agents and Oakland police
      officers "entered into a conspiracy to further this goal."

      The ruling is not a conviction of Oakland cops or the FBI. It merely says
      that there's enough evidence of official wrongdoing to allow the case to go
      before a jury.

      In other words, we're not to the truth yet. But we're getting closer.

      Call Coursey at (707) 521-5223 or e-mail ccoursey@...

      � The Press Democrat
      In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
      educational purposes only.

      -----

      Peace!

      *STRIDER* Sector Air Raid Warden at /RENEGADE/

      /RENEGADE/ news_service: http://fornits.com/renegade/
      DEDICATED TO SPIRIT, TRUTH, PEACE, JUSTICE, AND FREEDOM
      Bay_Area_Activist list: http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?fetch=54
      usenet: news:alt.thebird news:misc.activism.progressive
      chat: http://jupiter.beseen.com/chat/rooms/i/1055/
      e-mail: mailto:strider@...
      strider@...

      WHEN SPIDERS UNITE, THEY CAN TIE DOWN A LION -- Ethiopian Proverb