Entertainment News 05-02-10

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2010

      http://watercarmovie.com

      WaterCar Movie
      A film, music video and companion book that goes in search of:
      A car that uses water 4 fuel

      The Goal: To drive this 72 Mustang cross country powered by water. Steve Schappert and Alexandra Bruce are forming BIOS WaterCar Entertainment LLC. in order to produce a film, music video and companion book about the project. Exploring the many stories both myth and legend that have surfaced over the years and focusing on how this technology will affect everyday people.

      The process of creating the BIOS WaterCar began in Brookfield CT with Schappert and old friend and now crew chief for the WaterCar project, Steve Melycher. The first steps to driving a 72' Mustang cross country is, getting it to run and run well, Melycher was instrumental to this process. As a former Crew Chief for a MR2 racing team and owner of of a 67 Firebird with 475 horses his knowledge and belief in the project are much appreciated! We will spend the next month comparing the different technologies available for hydrogen generators and install our best in class amidst the 17 live bands and bike and car rally at GREEN FEST in New Haven on June 4-6 2010, please come see us! Then we will begin our journey zigzagging across the country meeting with folks in the hydrogen industry, picking up hints where we can. The story is one of hope and the reality is that water and sunlight is all the energy we will ever need. Over 2000 people from all over the world have lent their support to this project in the first 9 days.

      Can one million minds working together find the answer to the energy crisis? Typically scientists work alone, I am asking everyone to work together, share ideas, create a worldwide think tank with one goal. Use the universe's most abundant element to create safe, useful energy...hydrogen on demand. Hydrogen made on site without need for dangerous storage tanks. Uses include welding, home heating and yes automotive applications. Lets face it, if the technology worked, it could power anything including freight trains and cargo ships.

      Grass Roots Project: We aren't waiting for giant corporate sponsors, although we happily await the phone calls, we are taking things in to our own hands and asking the people of the world to help anyway they know how. Could you send a few bucks for car parts, give us a warm bed and a cold beer, a private garage each night (don't want to park it outside a hotel and wonder if it will be there in the morning : ). Are you in the automotive industry and familiar with sand blasting, auto body, engines, brakes, anything at all? The car will be a work in progress, it will be a joint creation and we hope to piece together the technology and the car along the way. We aren't doing this to file a patent, we are doing it to prove that mankind can do anything we set our minds to. This is worth investigating. I am asking you to send this to everyone you know, knowledge is power. See What NASA had to say about Using Hydrogen in a car in 1977

      What we have:

      An original 72 Mustang with a straight six and a ram air hood.

      new tires, brakes, radiator, solenoid, distributor, carburetor, new shocks, struts. Purchase and work over 8 years, about $9000. 2000 Cherokee sport that we will install a hydrogen generator in and use as our chase vehicle. If budget allows we also have access to a 1967 Firebird with 450 horsepower that would go along way toward scientific research.

      What we need:

      The water car is a grass roots effort to find the answers to the energy crisis. Instead of one big corporate sponsor how about we all pitch in? Great advertising potential from the adventure, Countless interviews, our music video, movie and companion book.

      What we need:

      Music...old cassette deck and one speaker in the middle of the dash, just not cutting it for cross country trip. Paint and minor body work, although the black primer has a very blues brothers feel to it!

      Transmission slips (feels like seals), Rebuild the engine would be nice (it runs but doesn't have all the power it had out of the show room. Remember this is a gas crunch Mustang from 1972, it only had 99 horsepower on a good day. A new engine with 420 horses running on water would be pretty cool!)

      New rag top

      Interior not bad, but could use a makeover

      Hydrogen technology

      need to reregister, go through emissions (never been a problem) and put insurance on it, I'll know more soon.

      You can make a huge difference simply by sharing this with someone.

      Care to share or lend support? If you have information you would like to share or would simply like to lend your support for the project go to http://worldwidethinktank.blogspot.com and add a post, or add it to our Facebook group. Stan Meyers allegedly developed a car that could run on water using a water fuel cell. To be clear we have not built mine yet, we are searching for answers, can you help? There is a great deal of disinformation on this subject floating around.

      Learning is Fun damental: Think I learned that from "big bird" on sesame street when I was 4 years old. This is serious business, however; an idol of mine once said, "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi So I am gonna make this as fun as possible while educating as many people as possible. I also feel compelled to quote 2 other idols of mine, Jake & Elwood,

      Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank a gas, half a pack a cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

      Jake: Hit it.

      Elwood: They're not gonna catch us. We're on a mission from God.

      Yup, that's right Gandhi & the Blues Brothers, can't get more soul than that! Click here for a sound track suggestion and don't forget to sing along!

      Music Video Concept: Lots of clips from cross country trip, GreenFest using the basic concept of the environmental ballet infused with the BIOS theme song, "Let's Go"

      Some of what I know: Fortunately this changes daily, but here is the cliff notes version. What I have been told, read or viewed on youtube so far. Stan Myers mysteriously died of food poisoning the day after getting a $ 30 million grant from the dept of defense to build a research facility. His patent is readily available on Google Patents but there are pieces missing. We just received further information on the where abouts of the car and his notes...more soon! Honestly the story reads like a dime store version of a Greek classic. Stan Died 12 years ago, how many soldiers have we sent to the middle east since then to defend oil.

      Have I been told my life will be in danger for doing this...yes I have, many times, but knowledge is power. There already have been many patents filed by people all over the world, and Dan Nocera is currently working on the issue with funding from the recovery act. So please don't kill the messenger. : )

      Learn more about the technology from the world's leader in artificial photosynthesis, Dan Nocera. Intro to Dan Nocera and the future of energy.

      Personalized Energy: MIT Professor Dan Nocera believes he can solve the worlds energy problems with an Olympic-sized pool of water. Nocera and his research team have identified a simple technique for powering the Earth inexpensively by using the sun to split water and store energy - making the large-scale deployment of personalized solar energy possible
      *
      Can you please help us?

      Send an email to abetterworld@...

      It would be greatly appreciated if you could send us a few bucks through PayPal?

      Personally my finances are on life support so every penny counts! I was building a green living expo when the market crashed, lost everything. Sorry this is not a tax deductible donation, yet, it is called a gift : ) (can't afford the $400 for the 501c3 to file non profit status, but that is on the list.) The BIOS Organization is currently in the concept stage and we plan to file Non profit & Corporate docs in a few months. Find out more

      Thank you in advance...

      ***

      Advertising Slogan of the Year

      "This little maneuver is entirely ill-conceived. Well done."
      Heineken Beer

      http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1315793544?bctid=72755678001

      ***

      Great Quotes: Alfred Hitchcock

      "The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder."

      Thanks to Paul Kimball for the above...

      ***

      http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Roethlisberger-wasn-t-a-popular-Steeler-even-be

      Mon Apr 26, 2010
      Roethlisberger wasn't a popular Steeler, even before all this
      By MJD

      Some former Pittsburgh Steelers teammates are kicking Ben Roethlisberger while he's down, telling ESPN that Roethlisberger wasn't well-liked in the locker room while they were there.

      Kelly Naqi did a story for ESPN's "Outside the Lines" over the weekend, focusing on Roethlisberger's image and reputation. She talked to former Steelers running back Najeh Davenport, former Steelers safety about Mike Logan and some other people around the area. Here are some of the highlights.

      • Davenport estimated that about 60 percent of the locker room felt like Roethlisberger thought he was "bigger than the team" and not focused on winning.

      • Davenport also discussed a time when Joey Porter called out Roethlisberger in a team meeting for being the last one in to practice and the first one to leave. Porter also accused Roethlisberger of not being dedicated to the team and criticized him for not fraternizing with his teammates.

      • Mike Logan confirmed the incident where Porter addressed Roethlisberger and said that all the things Porter mentioned were already being talked about in the locker room.

      • Someone identified only as "a close friend of a Steelers player" said that the reason Roethlisberger had a bodyguard was because of an incident where a man put a gun to Roethlisberger's head because Roethlisberger was involved with the man's girlfriend.

      • Naqi spoke with people who work at Pittsburgh bars and nightclubs, and they described Ben as someone who was condescending to the staffs and rude to other customers. One bar owner said Roethlisberger always expected he and his entourage to be given free food and drinks.

      Roethlisberger wouldn't talk to ESPN for the story. Neither would Joey Porter. Roethlisberger did release a statement today about his suspension, though, apologizing to his teammates and fans, and vowing to comply with the terms of the suspension.

      This is the kind of report that wouldn't ever see the light of day if there weren't some other dastardly story about the guy. That's not to say that it isn't true -- Kelly Naqi's a fine reporter -- but is it a big deal? Should we care?

      After all, no one said anything about Roethlisberger-related locker room troubles when the Steelers were winning Super Bowls. Maybe this is just a mountain-out-of-a-molehill thing that surfaces now because it's convenient and fits the "Roethlisberger as dirtball" narrative.

      If there's any practical issue here, I think it's this: If Roethlisberger has to mend some fences in the Steelers locker room, perhaps it'll be even tougher than expected. If someone didn't like him before the sexual assault allegations, it's hard to imagine they'll warm up to the guy now, no matter what he does.

      We'll just have to wait and see how that plays out. Locker rooms have been divided over less.

      ***

      http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/books/04/26/shakespeare.battle/

      Was Shakespeare's ghost writer ... Shakespeare?
      By Todd Leopold, CNN
      April 26, 2010
      STORY HIGHLIGHTS
      Author of new "Contested Will" wrote book to go through -- and debunk -- anti-Stratford theories
      Because of holes in record, much not known about William Shakespeare the person
      Some question the Bard's authorship of plays, poems; "so much is at stake"

      (CNN) -- To most people, the literary debate over who wrote the works of William Shakespeare would appear to be much ado about nothing. After all, the play's the thing, right? What does it matter who wrote it?

      To James Shapiro, however, it matters a great deal.

      The Columbia University professor and Shakespeare scholar spent 15 years working on his 2005 book, "A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare: 1599." The work exhaustively details a key year in the Bard's career, when he wrote "Henry V" and "Julius Caesar" and became the man thought of as history's greatest English-language dramatist.

      And yet he couldn't convince the doubters, who believe that the name "William Shakespeare" is a front for the real author.

      "I thought I did a damned good job showing that it could only have been Shakespeare who wrote the plays we attributed to him," he said. "And I naively thought, that will slow people down who think that Shakespeare didn't write Shakespeare. And they kind of stepped around it.

      "And I thought, I have to stop and really address this."

      The result is Shapiro's new book, "Contested Will." In it, Shapiro chronicles the history of the anti-Stratfordian movement, which has believed that any number of people -- the essayist Francis Bacon, the nobleman the Earl of Oxford, Walter Raleigh, Christopher Marlowe -- wrote the plays ascribed to the glovemaker's son from Stratford-upon-Avon, born 446 years ago. It's a theory that has attracted some famous minds -- including Mark Twain and Sigmund Freud -- and will soon be coming to the screen as Roland ("2012") Emmerich's latest film, "Anonymous."

      To the anti-Stratfordians, Shakespeare -- who left behind, by modern standards, relatively little in the way of personal records -- was too unworldly, too unromantic (in his will, he famously left his widow his "second best bed"), too ordinary to have written some of the greatest plays and poems known to man. It's a theory Shapiro roundly rejects. He says that modern audiences are reading Shakespeare through modern sensibilities, believing that the author's work is autobiographical -- which was not the case in Shakespeare's day.

      "We read today anachronistically -- we expect to find things in books that were written 400 years ago that people writing 400 years ago would not have put in those books," he says. "But the plays of Shakespeare and his contemporaries were not [autobiographical]. ... They made stuff up based on stories they read."

      The distinction is important, he adds.

      "Part of the authorship question is about trying to find whose life you can line up with the life of the author of the plays. Oxfordians will say, hey, our guy had three daughters and was captured by pirates. Your guy had two daughters and was never captured by pirates. Therefore, our guy has a greater likelihood to have written the plays. And that way madness lies, because then you end up with 50 or 60 contenders."

      Naturally, Oxfordians disagree. Shapiro's book has been wounded in its Amazon rankings by reviewers who don't believe Shapiro's thesis and criticized by anti-Stratfordian websites.

      "I do think there is an authorship question," says Michael Egan, a retired English professor who edits the Oxfordian, the journal of the Shakespeare Oxford Society. Though he considers himself a Stratfordian, he says he's "open-minded" about the issue and criticizes Shapiro for some of the arguments in "Contested Will."

      "The case for Oxford derives from the fact that almost everything we know about Shakespeare of Stratford doesn't seem connectible to the author of the plays," he says. "It's that gap between what we could infer about the author, and what we know about Shakespeare of Stratford, which has raised the questions."

      It's a battle that has, as Shapiro records, been filled with partisan rhetoric and bad blood since it began a little more than 200 years ago. Twain, for example, wrote a short book on the subject; his contemporary, Henry James, also questioned Shakespeare's authorship. Others have created elaborate codes or sought biographical parallels. The Stratfordians stand by their proof; the anti-Stratfordians fill in the gaps.

      In that respect, the battle over Shakespeare has much in common with other disputes. Kathy Olmsted, a history professor at the University of California-Davis and the author of "Real Enemies: Conspiracy Theories and American Democracy," observes that, in American history, conspiracy theories have often arisen from a perceived lack of information.

      "When people don't have that information or can't get it, they like to sort of speculate on what the real story is," she says. "People see those blank spots and they want to fill them in."

      And in for a penny, in for a pound, she adds: "It becomes like a religion. People who believe in these theories really get invested in them, and they don't want to account for evidence that doesn't fit their thesis."

      Which is why, for Shapiro, it's so important to establish that Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare.

      "So much is at stake in Shakespeare. In the great game of capture the literary flag, this is it," he says. "If you can say something about Shakespeare, you can say something about how English literature and literature in general works."

      He's particularly leery about Emmerich's film, which is in production and stars Vanessa Redgrave, Rhys Ifans and Derek Jacobi -- the latter a noted Shakespeare doubter.

      "It's going to be a disaster movie for people who teach Shakespeare," he says. "In the great rock-paper-scissor of movie and book, movie beats book."

      Still, he's hopeful that "Contested Will" will have an impact. "You can't win that battle. But I can wage it, at any rate."

      Nevertheless, he's ready to put the Baconians, Oxfordians, Marlovians and other anti-Stratfordians behind him.

      "I can't wait to get back to Shakespeare and writing a book. I actually get smarter wrestling with Shakespeare's words -- it's very thrilling," he says. "But spending five years thinking about people's fantasies did not make me smarter at all. ... Was it worth it? Probably. As long as the next book goes well."

      ***

      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/27/MNLA1D5QFV.DTL

      Santa Clara County says no to fast-food toys
      Justin Berton, Chronicle Staff Writer
      Wednesday, April 28, 2010

      No toy for you, Junior.

      Not if you live in unincorporated Santa Clara County, where the Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to ban restaurants from giving away toys with children's meals that exceed set levels of calories, fat, salt and sugar.

      The ordinance, which the board passed by a 3-2 vote, is believed to be the first of its kind in the nation. The target is the fast-food industry and what critics call its practice of marketing unhealthful food to children and fueling an epidemic of obesity among the young.

      "This ordinance breaks the link between unhealthy food and prizes," said the law's author, Supervisor Ken Yeager. "Obviously, toys in and of themselves do not make children obese. But it is unfair to parents and children to use toys to capture the tastes of children when they are young and get them hooked on eating high-sugar, high-fat foods early in life."

      $1,000 fine for violations

      Representatives for the California Restaurant Association, whose members include chains that opposed the ordinance, have 90 days to offer an alternative to the legislation. Violations under the version the board approved Tuesday would be punishable by fines of as much as $1,000 for each meal sold with a toy.

      Yeager said he hopes the law will inspire cities and counties across the country to follow suit like "ripples that create a wave."

      The law bans toy giveaways in children's meals that contain more than 485 calories, derive more than 35 percent of their calories from fat or 10 percent from added sweeteners, or have more than 600 mg of sodium. The totals are based on children's health standards set by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

      Of the 151 restaurants in unincorporated Santa Clara County that are covered by the law, a dozen are part of fast-food chains that offer children's meals.

      The county was among the first in the nation two years ago to require restaurants to display nutritional values on menus, legislation that has since been adopted by other jurisdictions, said Miguel Marquez, acting county counsel.

      Marquez said his office has been contacted by officials from Orange County, Chicago and New York City about Yeager's toys ordinance. In San Francisco on Tuesday, Supervisor Eric Mar asked the city attorney to draft legislation similar to Santa Clara County's law.

      "Just as with menu labeling, this is clearly within our authority," Marquez said. "We're on firm legal ground here."

      Marquez said enforcement will be the job of county public health inspectors.

      Possibility of alternative

      Members of the California Restaurant Association were unsure if they will offer an alternative to the ordinance, said Amalia Chamorro, the association's director of governmental affairs.

      "If the point is to get a dialogue going with the industry about health, that dialogue is already ongoing," Chamorro said. "If the point is to solve childhood obesity, taking away a toy isn't going to help."

      Chamorro said her members will "obey the laws of the land," but she said she feared the new ordinance could unintentionally punish all child-friendly restaurants. "Where does it stop? Restaurants that offer crayons and coloring books?"

      At least one parent, interviewed at a Burger King on Race Street and West San Carlos in an unincorporated area near San Jose, agreed with the restaurant group that the law amounted to government overreaching.

      "I don't need politicians to tell me what I can and can't buy for my kid," said Chris Mackey, who bought his daughter, Cattie, a Kids Meal that included an "Iron Man 2" action figure. "We don't come in here every day, and I don't associate giving my daughter a toy with giving her bad food. This is a private matter between me and my child."

      Mixed reactions to law

      But Chris Markato of San Jose, 18, who said he sometimes buys children's meals for the smaller portions and value, said the law sounded like a good idea. "It's kind of sad when you see really big kids," he said. "They probably shouldn't eat so much sugar."

      The supervisors suggested that Chamorro's restaurant group come back to the county with a plan that promotes more healthful food choices to keep the toys.

      Supervisor Don Gage, who voted against the ordinance, said he would rather see county funding go toward teaching parents how to buy and prepare more healthful foods.

      "If we're going to attack the problem, we need to do it with education of parents, not by taking a toy away from the kids," Gage said. "I agree obesity is a major problem, but it's not a 3-year-old who's buying the meals."

      Kids' food freebies

      A new Santa Clara County law bans restaurants from giving away toys with children's meals under these conditions:

      Calories: A meal has more than 485 calories, a single food item has more than 200 calories, or a drink has more than 120 calories.

      Salt: The meal has more than 600 mg of sodium, or a single food item more than 480 mg.

      Fat: More than 35 percent of a meal's calories comes from fat.

      Sugar: More than 10 percent of a meal's calories comes from added sweeteners.

      E-mail Justin Berton at jberton@....

      This article appeared on page A - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle