Entertainment News 12-31-9

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2009

      "I passionately hate the idea of being with it; I think an artist has always to be out of step with his time."
      - Orson Welles

      ***

      http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/39713/6-worst-fast-food-burgers-and-what-you-should-eat-instead/

      6 Worst Fast-Food Burgers (and What You Should Eat Instead!)
      David Zinczenko, with Matt Goulding
      Thu, Dec 17, 2009

      A hamburger isn't, by itself, a terrible nutritional choice. Topped with some lettuce and tomato, ketchup, and mustard—and placed in a relatively small bun—a burger is a high-protein treat that shouldn't pack too much fat or too many calories. But just as country music went from skinny little Hank Williams playing honky-tonks to Garth Brooks touring stadiums—and just as baseball went from wiry Jackie Robinson stealing home to muscle-bound Barry Bonds stealing homers—so have our burgers evolved from lean and simple to very fat and complicated.

      How hard has it become to decode the once-simple hamburger? Get a load of these. With Eat This, Not That! 2010 we've unearthed the biggest fast-food burger bombs in America, and offer reasonable and delicious alternatives.

      Worst Cheeseburger with Everything
      Wendy's Double with Everything and Cheese
      700 calories
      40 g fat (17 g saturated, 2 g trans)
      1,440 mg sodium

      In the pantheon of fast-food burgers, this cannot compete with the atrocities wrought by the Double Whoppers and Six Dollar Burgers of the world. But there are too many burgers at Wendy's to end up with this mistake. Take the Double Stack below—with small chili—for example. With 37 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber, it might be the most satisfying $2 meal in America.

      Eat This Instead!
      Double Stack with Small Chili
      550 calories
      24 g fat (10.5 g saturated, 1 g trans)
      1,640 mg sodium

      Worst Burger and Fries
      In-N-Out Burger Hamburger and French Fries
      790 calories
      37 g fat (10 g saturated)
      895 mg sodium

      You're heading into dangerous territory whenever you add fries to your order at In-N-Out. Sure, they're trans-fat-free, but that won't protect you from the 400 greasy, gut-bloating calories they carry. Instead, skip the fries and get serious about your burger. In-N-Out was offering up the low-carb treat long before other restaurants started making money off the Atkins craze. Take advantage of their prescience—and the 150-calorie savings—by simply tacking the phrase "protein style" onto your order.

      Eat This Instead!
      Protein Style Double-Double with grilled onion, ketchup, and mustard
      440 calories
      30 g fat (16 g saturated)
      1,080 mg sodium

      Worst Plain Cheeseburger
      Five Guys Cheeseburger (plain)
      840 calories
      55 g fat (22.5 g saturated)
      1,050 mg sodium

      Even if you get the regular (i.e., bi-pattied) cheeseburger naked, you'll still be taking in more than 250 calories and 20 grams of fat extra over the seemingly decadent bacon and sauteed mushroom burger. That's because what Five Guys calls a "Little Burger," healthy people call a "normal burger." Plus, if you limit yourself to a single beef patty, you can get away with a couple of indulgent toppings like cheese or bacon.

      Eat This Instead!
      Little Bacon Burger with Sauteed Mushrooms and A1 Steak Sauce
      575 calories
      33 g fat (14.5 g saturated)
      920 mg sodium

      Worst Burger Brand
      Carl's Jr. Six Dollar Burger
      890 calories
      54 g fat (20 g saturated, 2 g trans)
      2,040 mg sodium

      What's scary about the basic Six Dollar Burger is that with the exception of the bunless version, this is the leanest of the Six Dollar Burgers. That's not a compliment—the rest of the line is just trashed beyond repair with egregious piles of bacon, guacamole, and teriyaki sauce. When at Carl's, choose a Big Hamburger instead. Sure it's big, but it's not so big that you're going to have to spend the next 3 days recovering. In fact, kids' burgers aside, this is the only hamburger offered that won't cost you in excess of 500 calories.

      Eat This Instead!
      Big Hamburger
      460 calories
      17 g fat (8 g saturated, 0.5 g trans)
      1,090 mg sodium

      Worst "Original" Burger
      Hardee's Original Thickburger (1/3 lb)
      910 calories
      64 g fat (21 g saturated)
      1,560 mg sodium

      Shockingly, this is one of the least offensive of the Thickburgers. If you really need 1/3 pound of meat for lunch, make it the low-carb version and save yourself 490 calories. Or, choose a Double Cheeseburger, instead. It's far from a model of sound nutrition, but the same could be said of Hardee's itself. So if you want a burger with substance, you need to settle for the lesser of many evils.

      Eat This Instead!
      Double Cheeseburger
      510 calories
      26 g fat (5 g saturated)
      1,120 mg sodium

      Worst Fast-Food Cheeseburger in America
      Burger King Triple Whopper Sandwich with Cheese and Mayo
      1,250 calories
      84 g fat (32 g saturated, 3.5 g trans)
      1,600 mg sodium

      This Triple Whopper is triple trouble. You could remove two patties and still be looking at more calories than you should tussle with in one sitting. And the fact that it's got more trans fat than you should eat in a day only adds insult to injury. The problem with BK burgers is that not a single one comes without the heart-harming trans-fatty acids, despite their long-standing promise to (someday) make their menu trans-fat-free. Your best bet when dealing with the King is to choose a chicken sandwich instead.

      Eat This Instead!
      Tendergrill Chicken Sandwich with Mayo
      490 calories
      21 g fat (4 g saturated, 0 g trans)
      1,220 mg sodium

      ***

      http://rawstory.com/2009/12/venturas-conspiracy-theory-show-probes-911/

      Ventura's `Conspiracy Theory' show probes 9/11 mysteries
      By Stephen C. Webster
      Saturday, December 12th, 2009

      Former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura has seen some stuff that will blow your mind.

      Or, at least that's the tagline to "Conspiracy Theory," his new show on US cable station TruTV. In episode two, the one-time wrestler and movie star goes after one of America's greatest sacred cows: the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

      It is, as far as this reporter can tell, the first time a syndicated program on U.S. cable has given a serious look at arguments made by members of the 9/11 truth movement.

      In the show, Ventura speaks to key 9/11 truth figures such as former BYU professor Steven Jones and William Rodriguez, a nationally-acclaimed hero credited with saving dozens as he tried to escape from the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11.

      Ventura explores theories ranging from the missing black box recorders to the possibility that previously-planted explosives brought down the WTC towers.

      The National Institute of Standards and Technology, which investigated the WTC tower collapses, maintains there was no recovered evidence of explosive materials. An electronic FAQ to the government's theory is available online.

      Almost without saying, the program leans heavily toward the conspiratorial-minded. Yet for many viewers, this may be their first exposure to such claims.

      According to a TruTV press release, "Conspiracy Theory" hit the airwaves with the brunt of 1.6 million viewers, driving an 82% increase in the network's viewership over 2008. In only its second week, "Conspiracy Theory" is TruTV's most successful new show launch yet.

      ***

      Babewatch: Rihanna on GQ Cover

      ***

      http://www.kuci.org/podcasts/?ShowID=668/1

      KUCI: Out the Rabbit Hole
      Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 8:00:00 PM

      A Talk with Antonino D'Ambrosio about his book "A Heartbeat and a Guitar: Johnny Cash and the Making of Bitter Tears."

      If you ask most people to name important folk protest records of the sixties, they probably wouldn't name something by Johnny Cash -- or even think of Johnny Cash as a folk protest singer. But Cash did record an album that certainly fits that bill. And those who are aware of it, do acknowledge its power and intensity. It, however, has remained obscure for all these decades. The reasons for that are part of a larger fascinating and compelling story full of controversy and drama. It's all captured in a wonderful new book called "A Heartbeat and a Guitar: Johnny Cash and the Making of Bitter Tears." Hear a discussion with the author, Antonino D'Ambrosio.

      ***

      http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31347756/the_stooges_genesis_abba_lead_the_rock_and_roll_hall_of_fames_class_of_2010

      The Stooges, Genesis, ABBA Lead the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2010
      ANDY GREENE
      Dec 15, 2009

      The Stooges, Genesis and ABBA lead the list of accomplished artists that will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next year. The class of 2010 also includes the Hollies and Jimmy Cliff.

      Iggy Pop says his band has been patiently awaiting this honor for some time. "We've been rejected seven times, and we would have set a record, I think, if it happened again," the Stooges' frontman tells Rolling Stone. "It started to feel like Charlie Brown and the football. I had about two hours of a strong emotional reaction after hearing the news. It felt like vindication. Then I kind of scratched my head and thought, 'Am I still cool? Or is that over now?' "

      The news was quite surprising for the Swedish pop group ABBA. "I didn't think this would happen, because we were a pop band, not a rock band," says Benny Andersson, who helped found the group in 1970. "Being a foreigner from the North Pole, this feels really good."

      The Hall of Fame has earned a reputation for convincing long dormant groups like Talking Heads and Led Zeppelin to perform at induction ceremonies. Though Graham Nash hopes to play with the Hollies for the first time since 1983 ("I'll be there with bells on," he says), an ABBA reunion is less likely; the group split in 1983 and has refused all offers to reform ever since. "It's very tricky because Agnetha [Fältskog] is not flying," Andersson says. "The people who are really fond of ABBA for what we did, I think we are doing them a favor by not going out." He said he wouldn't completely discount a performance, but wanted to talk it over with the rest of the group. "It's 99 against 1 [odds], though."

      A reunion of the Peter Gabriel era of Genesis, who haven't played together since a one-off in 1982, is more likely — however Phil Collins' recent medical problems have left him virtually unable to play the drums. "I don't think he'd be itching to play early 1970s Genesis music at the moment," says Genesis keyboardist Tony Banks. "Peter [Gabriel] is a bit elusive, but I'll probably talk to him soon and see if he has any concept of what he wants to do. I don't feel a great need to play. I'm happy just to drink."

      Cliff, known internationally for his work in the 1972 The Harder They Come and its iconic soundtrack, becomes the second reggae pioneer to join the Hall, after Bob Marley, who was inducted in 1994. Cliff's "Many Rivers to Cross" is one of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

      The 25th annual induction ceremony will be held March 15th. The event, which is returning to New York's Waldorf Astoria, will be broadcast live on Fuse. The Hall of Fame will also give the Ahmet Ertegun Award (an honor for non-performers) to record executive David Geffen and songwriters Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil, Ellie Greenwich & Jeff Barry, Jesse Stone, Mort Shuman and Otis Blackwell.

      ***

      http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ikX-J9szR7SvQKFtkhHIwP26dlDAD9CKFO5O0

      Woods voted top athlete of the decade
      By DOUG FERGUSON (AP)
      12-16-9

      Even after a shocking sex scandal that tarnished Tiger Woods, it was tough to ignore what he achieved on the golf course.

      He won 64 times around the world, including 12 majors, and hoisted a trophy on every continent golf is played. He lost only one time with the lead going into the final round. His 56 PGA Tour victories in one incomparable decade were more than anyone except four of golf's greatest players won in their careers.

      Woods was selected Wednesday as the Athlete of the Decade by members of The Associated Press in a vote that was more about 10 years of performance than nearly three weeks of salacious headlines.

      Just like so many of his victories, it wasn't much of a contest.

      Woods received 56 of the 142 votes cast by AP member editors since last month. More than half of the ballots were returned after the Nov. 27 car accident outside his Florida home that set off sensational tales of infidelity.

      Lance Armstrong, a cancer survivor who won the Tour de France six times this decade, finished second with 33 votes. He was followed by Roger Federer, who won more Grand Slam singles titles than any other man, with 25 votes.

      Record-setting Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps came in fourth with 13 votes, followed by New England quarterback Tom Brady (6) and sprinter Usain Bolt (4). Five other athletes received one vote apiece.

      Woods, who has not been seen since the accident and has issued only three statements on his Web site, was not made available to comment about the award.

      Few other athletes have changed their sport quite like Woods. His influence has been so powerful that TV ratings spiked whenever he played, even more when he has been in contention. Prize money has quadrupled since he joined the PGA Tour because of his broad appeal.

      A new image emerged quickly in the days following his middle-of-the-night accident, when he ran his SUV over a fire hydrant and into a tree. He became the butt of late-night TV jokes, eventually confessed that he "let my family down" with "transgressions" and lost a major sponsorship from Accenture.

      Even so, AP members found his work on the golf course over the last 10 years without much of a blemish. Woods took an early lead in balloting, and continued to receive roughly the same percentage of votes throughout the process.

      "Despite the tsunami of negative publicity that will likely tarnish his image, there's no denying that Woods' on-the-course accomplishments set a new standard of dominance within his sport while making golf more accessible to the masses," wrote Stu Whitney, sports editor of the Sioux Falls (S.D.) Argus Leader.

      "The only proof needed are the television ratings when Tiger plays in a golf tournament, compared to those events when others have to carry the load."

      Woods tumbled from the pinnacle of his sport in just about three weeks. The 10 years that preceded that fall, however, represented perhaps the greatest decade in golf history.

      He won the career Grand Slam three times over, including one U.S. Open by a record 15 shots at Pebble Beach and another U.S. Open on a mangled leg in a playoff at Torrey Pines. He twice won the British Open at St. Andrews, the home of golf, by a combined 13 shots.

      Woods won 56 times on the PGA Tour this decade, a rate of 30 percent that is unprecedented in golf. Nine of those victories were by at least eight shots. He was No. 1 in the world ranking for all but 32 weeks in the decade, that when he was revamping his swing.

      He did his best work in the biggest events.

      Along with his 12 majors this decade — he has 14 overall, four short of the record held by Jack Nicklaus — Woods was runner-up in six other majors. He won 14 times out of 27 appearances in the World Golf Championships.

      Woods finished the decade with $81,547,410 in earnings from his PGA Tour events, an average of $482,529 per tournament.

      ***

      E of S Nation: Have an Edge of Sport Christmas and support a good cause! Get any Dave Z book from the Teaching for Change website, and you support one of the most important non-profits working today. Teaching for Change strives to make sure that our children actually have access to our people's history in the classroom.

      http://bbpbooks.teachingforchange.org/search/apachesolr_search/zirin+dave

      Also, get an Edge of Sports T-shirt for Christmas (although I can't guarantee shipping until after Jan 1st. ) We will have XXL though!

      http://edgeofsports.com/product/tshirt/index.html

      Lastly: does anyone want to have lunch? Bid for to have lunch with me! For a good cause! http://www.accuracy.org/auction.php

      Enjoy this week's article, which is in today's NY Daily News

      In struggle and sports,

      Dave Z

      Tiger Woods?!? The REAL Athletes of the Decade

      http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2009/12/18/2009-12-18_the_other_big_tiger_scandal.html#ixzz0a2o0fBPR

      By Dave Zirin

      It feels almost liberating to say the words "Tiger Woods" and "outrage" in the same sentence, without referencing any of the sleaze of the past month. This particular outrage involves the Associated Press and their naming of Woods as "athlete of the decade."

      Even worse is their top four - which includes, in order, cyclist Lance Armstrong, tennis player Roger Federer and swimmer Michael Phelps. This list is so bizarre, so male and so near-Caucasian, it seems to have been conjured by Glenn Beck.

      But let's leave aside for a moment the country club pursuits and plethora of testicles defining the list. The fact that there is no soccer or basketball player immediately brands it a sham. And the thought that a golfer - any golfer - would be No. 1 is absurd. Golf is not a sport. It's a game. It's darts. It's billiards. It's the World Series of Poker with walking. I believe that anything that you can gain weight while performing, or anything you can do at a world-class level while smoking, just isn't a true athletic competition.

      Otherwise the AP should've included people like the Great Takeru Kobayashi, who held the competitive hot dog eating record for six straight years. In 2001, he doubled the old mark, scarfing down 50 weenies in 12 minutes. Disgusting? Sure. But no more vile than the amount of acreage and water needed to maintain a golf course.

      Even more obnoxious is the presence of Lance Armstrong and the absence of Barry Bonds in the top five. Armstrong won every Tour De France from 2000-2005. But it's been rumored that the man has done more illegal pharmaceuticals than Keith Richards. Bonds didn't receive a single vote despite becoming the all-time home run champion, and the first player to have 500 home runs and 500 steals. If an anabolic odor cost Bonds, it should cost Armstrong as well.

      So who really deserves to be in the top five? Considering all mental and physical athletic variables, my No. 1 is soccer star Ronaldihno. By combining speed and an unholy stamina, the Brazilian has become the sport's consensus player of the decade. He has achieved this while representing a country where soccer ranks somewhere above oxygen.

      My No. 2 two choice is Serena Williams. Serena has won 10 majors this decade, which is impressive enough. But she's also risen to the top as an African-American in the lily-white world of tennis, while also playing out from under the shadow of her sister Venus. And she rose to the top with a powerful and decidedly un-ladylike style that was as audacious as her infamous catsuit.

      My third pick is Kobe Bryant. In addition to four championships, he may go down as the greatest scorer in the history of the sport not named Wilt Chamberlain. Consider Kobe's decade. In addition to four titles, he scored 81 points in a game, had four straight 50-point games, and nailed 62 points in three quarters against Dallas, outscoring their entire team.

      Fourth on the list for me is Roger Federer. Federer's numbers overwhelm the senses. Fifteen Grand Slam titles, 22 consecutive Grand Slam semifinal appearances, and 237 consecutive weeks ranked No. 1. Yes, the AP got that one right.

      For No. 5, I go with Ray Lewis, middle linebacker of the Baltimore Ravens - one of the great players in league history, as well as the epitome of controlled adrenaline. He belongs on this list.

      That's my top five. And to the AP: Thank you for offending us all with a Tiger Woods story that has nothing to do with his zipper.

      Dave Zirin is the author of "A People's History of Sports in the United States" (The New Press) Receive his column every week by emailing dave@.... Contact him at edgeofsports@... .

      ***

      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/magazine/specials/sportsman/2009/11/25/derek.jeter/index.html

      Monday November 30, 2009
      SI names Derek Jeter 2009 Sportsman of the Year
      Story Highlights
      Jeter is the 56th honoree and the first Yankee to be named SI's Sportsman
      In 2009 he led the Yankees to their fifth World Series title in his 14 full seasons
      He also passed Lou Gehrig's franchise mark for hits, which now stands at 2,747

      NEW YORK (SI.com) -- In what has already been a banner year for Derek Jeter, the New York Yankees shortstop can add another honor: Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year award. Jeter was chosen as the magazine's 56th honoree (the Dec. 7 issue will hit newsstands on Wednesday) and becomes the first Yankee to be named SI's Sportsman.

      Jeter's selection caps another outstanding season for the 35-year-old team captain and future Hall of Famer. In 2009 he batted .334 while leading the Yankees to their fifth World Series title in his 14 full seasons, their first since 2000 and their record 27th in franchise history. On Sept. 11 he passed Lou Gehrig's franchise mark for base hits, which now stands at 2,747. In 2009 Jeter led the American League by reaching base 289 times, finished second in the league in hits (212), third in batting average and on-base percentage (.406), fourth in runs (107) and eighth in stolen bases (30). He was named an All-Star for the 10th time, including the sixth time as a starter, while winning his fourth AL Silver Slugger as the best hitting shortstop in the league and his fourth Gold Glove as the league's top defensive shortstop.

      In 15 postseason games Jeter lived up to his reputation as a clutch player, batting .344 with a .432 on-base percentage, three home runs and six RBIs. He batted .407 in the World Series to lead the Yankees to a six-game victory over the defending world champion Philadelphia Phillies. During the Series, Jeter was named the American League recipient of the Hank Aaron Award, given to the best hitter in each league, and the winner of the Roberto Clemente Award, given to the player who best displays skill on the field while giving back to the community off it.

      It was that combination of on- and off-field achievement that helped make Jeter this year's Sportsman. Said Sports Illustrated Group Editor Terry McDonell, "Derek Jeter has always presented himself with class; he does numerous good works for the community with his Turn 2 Foundation, which is one of the most efficient, effective foundations of its kind; and he's extremely generous with not just his money but with his time, which in many cases is more valuable. He also had another signature year on the field."

      Jeter is the first baseball player to win the award solo since Cal Ripken Jr. in 1995. Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were co-winners in 1998, as were Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling in 2001. The Boston Red Sox won as a team in 2004.

      The Sportsman of the Year award has been given annually since SI began publishing in 1954. The first winner was track star Roger Bannister, and subsequent honorees include Arnold Palmer (1960), Muhammad Ali (1974), Chris Evert (1976), Wayne Gretzky (1982), Michael Jordan (1991), Tiger Woods (1996 and 2000, the only two-time recipient), Lance Armstrong (2002) and Tom Brady (2005). Last year's winner was record-setting Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps.

      ***

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GM4Lt5k24s

      Ex-Microsoft employee remembers the last sound he heard at Microsoft: Bing!
      Scott Rose
      ScottWorld.com
      scotty321
      December 16, 2009

      How one Microsoft employee didn't "bing" good enough for Steve Ballmer.

      About The Video:

      At a time when Americans are scared, jobless, and homeless, we wanted to create a comedy that would resonate with how Americans are feeling. We are Scott Rose and Ernie Brandon, a screenwriting duo in Los Angeles, and we don't have anything to give back to America except for belly laughs. This video is a teaser for our new comedy screenplay about what it means to be a little guy in the land of giants. This is our Christmas gift to the working class.

      Category: Comedy