    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2009

      http://blog.lavacocktail.com/2009/02/20/basking-in-xcalak.aspx

      Basking in Xcalak
      2-20-9

      Wanting to jettison myself from the frozen wastelands of Minnesota
      where the coldest winter in one hundred years has been persisting, I
      recently chose an appropriate place for some much needed climactic
      counterpoint: Xcalak, Mexico-an old fishing village terminus of sorts
      where the highway ends and approx. seven miles to the south, Belize
      begins. A bit freaked by the Mexican government issued `travel
      advisories' forwarded to me by a concerned relative and which
      morbidly tallied the number of gringos who have disappeared recently,
      either the victims of drug war cross fire, riots or fair game targets
      of the numerous Banditos marauding the country's roads, I had
      hesitations about traveling alone. However, in light of this info.,
      I made sure to call on angelic forces for protection during my five
      plus hour drive from Cancun where I landed -particularly the
      archangel Michael and this most certainly helped ease my nerves a
      bit.

      Such trips south of the border are not without the requisite rite of
      passage as it took me nearly two hours to get out of Cancun, thanks
      to a military check point set up to `catch' drug smugglers and which
      blocked one lane just north of Highway 307 ,causing mucho aggravation
      indeed. I later learned that it was put on for a new general of the
      Mexican army `concerned' about corruption amongst enforcement agents
      hired to keep the drug lords in check. Once freeing myself of the
      L.A. like traffic jam and accelerating to 120 Km so as to breathe a
      bit easier, it wasn't too long before I was in Mayan territory,
      passing by busload after busload of turistas destined for the
      pyramids of Chitzen Itza, et. Al. Based on the garish descriptions
      offered by a friend of mine who'd been to these sites-of Knights of
      Columbus geriatrics trying to climb the ruins using walkers
      and `Solar Initiate' New Agers wearing white gowns and `shift
      facilitating' at the base of the ruins around the solstices and
      equinoxes, I chose not to investigate these traps and worked my way
      further south to Tulum where the energy was exuberant and served to
      relax me further and caused me to forget about potential hijackings
      of the economy sized Matiz I was driving and my physical body as
      well. It really felt like a positive vortex opened above me as a
      welcome, a nice prelude to birth me into what lay ahead at the
      literal end of the road.

      According to the directions I downloaded off the internet-I was
      advised to fill my tank well before arriving, which I did as there
      are no gas stations whatsoever in Xcalak. There are no banks either.
      So with a money belt brimming with pesos, I traveled on with a bit of
      lingering trepidation which seemed to wane the closer I got to my
      destination. If you choose to go to Xcalak, it is advised to bring a
      laptop with you to make payments for such things as fishing outings,
      dive instruction and the like. I was able to use my I-Phone to make
      such purchases, but keying in information with one finger on the Pay
      Pal page can be a bit tedious, esp. with an unreliable third world
      internet connection that cut out from time to time.

      Xcalak is certainly the proverbial sleepy village miraculously
      escaping the intensive development found further north. My immediate
      impression after arriving and riding a sea rusted bicycle aptly
      named `The Hurricane' was the absence of beggars and obnoxious
      vendors forcing one to buy handicrafts, dope and by-the-hour putas as
      they do in Cancun with a relentlessness that is unmatched in any
      country I've been to (other than Kashmir in Northern India). This
      allowed me to relax even further and take in the delightful profusion
      of flora and fauna which grace the community such as Tropical
      Mockingbirds, Yucatan Jays, Magnificent Frigate birds and Brown
      Pelicans which command the shores from morning to night. Exploring
      the jungles which buttressed the wash-boarded `roads' was out of the
      question. According to the owners of the Tierra Maya hotel where I
      resided, there's a Mayan pyramid about three hundred yards across the
      road from them, completely hidden by the jungle and which would take
      an entire day to get to. There are laws, thankfully, prohibiting the
      use of machetes to hack through the thickets of Mangrove that make
      foot travel nearly impossible. The surrounding jungle is home to
      Panthers and a colorful variety of poisonous snakes and other scaled
      vermin-so it would be wise before setting out without the necessary
      precautions and to find a local guide you can trust to take you into
      truly untrampled territory.

      The primary reason for my escape to Xcalak, besides soaking up sun
      and surf, was to get PADI certified as a scuba diver-something I've
      always wanted to do. Booking the course at one of the local dive
      centers, I then met my instructor Benito-who in the course of a week
      managed to get me over every single one of my fears of going under
      water, making emergency ascents, equalizing and breathing. With
      treacherous conditions often prevailing in the mornings, I would
      return in a few hours and the wind would calm down enough for us to
      go out and do the required exercises needed for certification such as
      taking ones mask off underwater, putting it back on and evacuating
      all water by exhaling forcefully through the nose. No need for a
      Neti pot when you do this and the sensation of having your sinuses
      reamed with salt water is unlike any other. However, it was actually
      enjoyable to surmount the mostly mind generated obstacles and
      actually scuba dive, which overall is a very relaxing venture.

      We did four open water dives to approx. 60 ft. and it was a letdown
      every time to see Benito give me the thumbs up sign, meaning we had
      to start to surface as our tanks were running low. In the half hour
      that our air tanks afforded us underwater time, we took in as much of
      the bewildering and resplendent marine life as we could. Mi compadre
      showed me such wonders as upside down Freshwater Jelly fish, sea
      turtles and Barracudas along with brilliantly colored sponges,
      elliptical star coral, venus sea fans and four eye butterfly fish. I
      felt such a sense of peace beneath the turmoiled waves and skies
      above. As I swam along the edge of one of the reefs, I envisioned a
      summit meeting being held there by world leaders and thought that a
      viable, life sustaining consensus would be reached, well before the
      tanks ran out of oxygen, in regards to our emperiled planet and how
      to go about healing it. "The ocean is the ultimate solution." as
      Frank Zappa aptly titled one of his instrumental compositions. I
      certainly appreciated his observation even more after exploring it as
      extensively as possible off the shores of beautiful Xcalak. Perhaps
      those in power will finally listen to it and get the answers they
      need.

      Sadly, the certification week went by too quickly, but I passed all
      the tests even as exhausted as I was. Benito was kind enough to come
      into the dive center on his day off to check my test scores and I
      found this otherwise rare hospitality to be the norm throughout
      Mexico. Scuba diving is the most physically and mentally demanding
      of sports-even more so than climbing, cross country skiing and
      snowshoeing, IMO. It felt like I had been steamrollered several
      times and I could barely move around in the evenings after a dive.
      Extensive yoga and a supplement called Cell Food saved me from total
      exhaustion and muscle soreness along with periodic doses of the
      homeopathic Arnica. I also found my psychic abilities greatly
      amplified underwater. More on this in Part II.

      The one experience during my Xcalak stay that did totally wipe me out
      however, was an encounter with a glittered klatsch of beautiful
      people pawing each others jewelry and clothing, hypnotized by the
      Margarita glasses they toasted each other with. The scenario served
      as a stark contrast to the genuinely kind souls of the indigenous
      locals I encountered in such a heart warming and endearing way. The
      dreaded encounter took place at the Leaky Palapa restaurant where
      the food was fabulous but the vampiric clientle I had no choice but
      to observe in a captive audience kind of way, knocked the spiritual
      stuffing out of me and I had bad dreams all night of these vampires
      which fortunately stay together north of the bridge in Xcalak (where
      the photo below was taken), hidden in their well manicured enclaves.

      Xcalak is a place I will most certainly return to as I truly felt at
      home there-something very rare in my world travels indeed. Tune in
      for Part II soon.

      Cheers,

      Jaye Beldo
      www.lavacocktail.com

      *****

      http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?
      pid=20601087&sid=agapqPsrRIEY&refer=home

      `Dow Theory' Says Worst Isn't Over for U.S. Stocks as YRC Falls
      By Eric Martin and Cristina Alesci

      Feb. 21 (Bloomberg) -- A 125-year-old method for forecasting the
      market is telling investors the worst isn't over for stocks.

      Dow Theory, which holds that simultaneous moves in industrial and
      transportation shares foreshadow economic activity, indicates the Dow
      Jones Industrial Average's drop to a six-year low yesterday may
      presage more losses.

      The Dow industrials slumped to 7,365.67 on concern the deepening
      recession will force the U.S. government to bail out banks. Adherents
      of Dow Theory say the 30-stock gauge will fall farther because the
      Dow Jones Transportation Average has slipped to the worst level since
      September 2003.

      "When you have that confirmation in both legs, that's clearly
      negative," said Ryan Detrick, senior technical analyst at Schaeffer's
      Investment Research in Cincinnati. "There's some validity to Dow
      Theory."

      This week's retreat left the Standard & Poor's 500 Index, the
      benchmark for U.S. stocks, within 2.3 percent of breaking through its
      Nov. 20 low to the worst level since 1997.

      Citigroup Inc. and Bank of America Corp. declined the most in the Dow
      this week, losing more than 31 percent, on concern shareholders will
      be wiped out through nationalization. General Motors Corp. had the
      third-biggest slump, losing 29 percent on concern about its solvency.
      General Electric Co. dropped 18 percent to $9.38, becoming the fifth
      stock in the average since last year to sink below $10.

      "The direction of the market is clearly down," said Richard Moroney,
      who manages $150 million at Hammond, Indiana- based Horizon
      Investment Services and edits the Dow Theory Forecasts
      newsletter. "We're holding a lot more cash than we normally do."

      `Clearly Down'

      Dow Theory, created by Wall Street Journal co-founder Charles Dow in
      1884, argues that transportation companies are harbingers of economic
      activity. The transportation gauge slipped below its November nadir
      in January and has kept retreating. YRC Worldwide Inc. and JetBlue
      Airways Corp. fell the most this week, losing more than 27 percent.

      Dow Theory is showing that "the bear market is in force," said Philip
      Roth, the New York-based chief technical analyst at Miller Tabak &
      Co. "It doesn't tell you whether it's going to last another year or
      another day. It isn't a forecaster of magnitude, just direction."

      In November 2007, one month after the Dow industrials and S&P 500
      surged to record highs, Dow Theory suggested the rally was over. The
      S&P 500 went on to tumble 38 percent in 2008, the most since 1937.

      Bullish Strategists

      The Dow Theory signal goes against all 10 Wall Street strategists
      tracked by Bloomberg, who on average project the S&P 500 will end the
      year at 1,059, a 38 percent gain from yesterday's close of 770.05.
      Almost $800 billion in federal spending and the cheapest valuations
      in two decades will spur the rally, the strategists say.

      The S&P 500 is a better indicator of the market's direction because
      it has almost 17 times more companies than the Dow average and uses
      market value, not share prices, to determine company weightings, said
      Roger Volz, New York-based senior vice president at Hampton
      Securities Ltd. and a technical analyst since 1982.

      The index would probably plunge to 681 should it fall below the 11-
      year-low of 752.44 reached in November, according to Volz. His chart-
      based techniques include Fibonacci analysis.

      "I don't think we get out of the woods for 14 months," he said. "The
      destruction is severe."

      To contact the reporters on this story: Cristina Alesci in New York
      at calesci2@...; Eric Martin in New York at
      emartin21@....

      *****

      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
      f=/c/a/2009/02/21/BAI9161PAJ.DTL

      Ruling against age limit on game sales upheld
      Bob Egelko, Chronicle Staff Writer
      Saturday, February 21, 2009

      SAN FRANCISCO -- California's ban on selling video games to minors is
      unconstitutional because even the most graphic on-screen mayhem is
      free speech, and there's no convincing evidence it causes
      psychological damage to young people, a federal appeals court ruled
      Friday.

      "The government may not restrict speech in order to control a minor's
      thoughts," said the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San
      Francisco in upholding a federal judge's ruling against the law,
      which has never been enforced. Similar laws in other states have also
      been struck down.

      The head of an industry group that challenged the law praised the
      court's "rejection of video game censorship." State Sen. Leland Yee,
      D-San Francisco, sponsor of the law, urged state officials to appeal
      to the U.S. Supreme Court.

      "We need to help empower parents with the ultimate decision over
      whether or not their children play in a world of violence and
      murder," Yee said.

      Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed the law in October 2005. It would
      bar the sale of an interactive video game to anyone under 18 if the
      game was so violent it was "patently offensive," according to
      prevailing community standards for minors, and lacked serious
      literary, artistic, political or scientific value.

      '18' label on package

      Those games would carry a large "18" label on their packages. Anyone
      who sold such a game to a minor could be fined as much as $1,000.

      In defending the law, the state argued that violent content should be
      judged by the same obscenity standards as sex. Just as the government
      can prohibit the sale of explicit pornography to minors, state
      lawyers contended, it should be allowed to establish an adults-only
      category of ultra-violent video games.

      The appeals court disagreed. A 1968 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that
      allowed tighter restrictions on selling explicit materials to minors
      than to adults applies only to sexual content and not to violence,
      the appellate panel said.

      "The Supreme Court has carefully limited obscenity to sexual
      content," Judge Consuelo Callahan said in the 3-0 ruling. "We decline
      the state's invitation to apply the (same) rationale to materials
      depicting violence."

      Video games, Callahan said, "are a form of expression protected by
      the First Amendment."

      Callahan said the state could justify the law only by demonstrating
      that violent video games cause psychological harm to minors and that
      young people could be protected only by being banned from buying
      those games. She said the state had fallen short on both counts.

      The state cited researchers' findings that youths who play violent
      video games are more likely to behave aggressively and get into
      fights. But Callahan said even some of the researchers acknowledged
      that their samples were too small to draw conclusions, that there was
      no proof video games caused violent behavior, or that the games
      affected minors differently from adults.

      She also said the state had failed to show that there were no good
      alternatives to an outright ban on sales to minors. Callahan said
      such options include an educational campaign, technology that allows
      parents to control their children's access to video games, and the
      industry's rating system that includes an adults-only category.

      The rating system, although it is voluntary, works well and is
      preferable to "state-sponsored nannyism," said Bo Andersen, president
      of the Entertainment Merchants Association, an industry group that
      sued the state.

      Sellers said to be compliant
      "Retailers are committed to assisting parents in assuring that
      children do not purchase games that are not appropriate for their
      age," Andersen said. He said independent surveys have found that
      sellers comply with the ratings 80 percent of the time.

      But Deputy Attorney General Zackery Morazzini, the state's lawyer in
      the case, said a law restricting sales of violent games is far more
      effective than industry self-policing. He said the technological
      controls that the court cited as another alternative "can be easily
      bypassed by any kid with an Internet connection."

      E-mail Bob Egelko at begelko@....

      This article appeared on page B - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

      *****

      http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-arnold-taxes21-
      2009feb21,0,3998908.story

      Governor's rift with GOP grows wider
      After his turnaround on taxes in the budget battle, he won't be
      attending a state party convention -- and many won't miss him.
      By Michael Finnegan
      February 21, 2009

      Reporting from Sacramento -- After five years as governor, Arnold
      Schwarzenegger came full circle on Friday: The film star who promised
      to rescue California from its fiscal wreckage without raising taxes
      signed into law $12.5 billion in tax hikes.

      With that, the Republican governor broke one of the few bonds left
      between his shrunken party and California's mainstream voters,
      marring its hard-won image as a guardian against higher taxes.

      "Their last gasp has been taken from them," said Larry N. Gerston, a
      political scientist at San Jose State, citing the unpopularity among
      most California voters of the party's conservative stands on
      abortion, illegal immigration and other touchstone issues. "It puts
      them in a very precarious position."

      By repudiating the thrust of his candidacy in the 2003 recall -- "I
      will not raise taxes," Schwarzenegger stated flatly the day after he
      won -- the governor has also enraged the conservatives who dominate
      the party.

      For Republicans convening at a state party convention this weekend in
      Sacramento, it is a wrenching moment. Schwarzenegger is skipping the
      event to attend a governors' conference in Washington. But his
      turnaround on taxes has darkened the mood of the hundreds of party
      loyalists venting their frustration in a hotel where the governor
      often stays in a penthouse suite.

      To be sure, none of the GOP lawmakers who demanded that the state
      close its $42-billion shortfall without raising taxes detailed the
      doomsday cuts that approach would entail, nor did the activists who
      lobbied against the tax increases. If the state had laid off its
      entire workforce of 238,000 -- every prison guard, firefighter and
      clerk -- it still would have fallen billions shy of a balanced budget.

      Still, in a nod to the GOP's internal realities, two of the party's
      top contenders for Schwarzenegger's job in the June 2010 primary have
      split with the governor over the tax hikes.

      One, former EBay Chief Executive Meg Whitman, said they will "kill
      jobs, hurt families and make future deficits even worse." The other,
      state Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner, called the budget
      a "fiasco." The heavier tax burden, he warned, will increase
      unemployment.

      The party's lone gubernatorial contender defending the tax hikes is
      Tom Campbell. A former Silicon Valley congressman and state finance
      director under Schwarzenegger, he all but guaranteed himself pariah
      status among the party's rank and file by saying the governor and
      Legislature did the right thing.

      "It was essential, because otherwise you would have no public works
      in the middle of a recession, and that's suicidal for the state,"
      said Campbell, whose fortuitously timed move to Orange County this
      weekend will spare him the face-to-face hostility of convention
      delegates.

      Like the governor, the six Republican lawmakers who joined Democrats
      in approving the tax increases are also facing vitriol within the
      party. Chief targets include Sens. Dave Cogdill of Modesto, whose
      support of the budget led to his overthrow as Senate Republican
      leader, and Abel Maldonado of Santa Maria, who cast the deciding vote.

      Conservative blogger Matthew Cunningham has started a Facebook
      group, "Never Elect Abel Maldonado to Anything, Ever Again." More
      threatening, Ernie Konnyu, a former Bay Area congressman, has
      launched a campaign to recall Maldonado.

      Efforts to recall other GOP lawmakers for their break with the party
      on taxes have sprouted. Conservative purists are pushing the state
      party to censure them Sunday.

      The party's turmoil over taxes comes as Republicans nationwide are
      still reeling from their 2008 defeat. Their White House nominee, John
      McCain, lost California by more than 3 million votes in the party's
      worst presidential rout in the state since the 1930s.

      Their ranks diminished, Republicans in Congress are trying to restore
      the party's reputation for fiscal restraint. They demanded less
      spending and more tax cuts as they fought President Obama's $787-
      billion plan to stimulate the economy.

      With his pledge to hold the line on taxes, Schwarzenegger took a
      similar approach in his run for governor during the budget crisis
      that fostered the recall of Gov. Gray Davis.

      Now, Schwarzenegger allies say he had no choice but to break his
      promise.

      "In 2003, nobody was saying that in 2009 this country would go
      through the worst economic crisis since the Depression," said Adam
      Mendelsohn, a Schwarzenegger advisor.

      "There's nothing Gov. Schwarzenegger hates more than raising taxes.
      If there was a way to realistically do this budget with $42 billion
      in cuts and not raising taxes, Gov. Schwarzenegger would be the first
      one to go and fight for that. But it's totally unrealistic."

      Critics, however, say Schwarzenegger long ago abandoned any serious
      commitment to fiscal restraint. Among other things, they say, twin
      ballot measures that Schwarzenegger and his Democratic allies
      marketed to voters in 2004 as an economic recovery package worsened
      the state's long-term troubles.

      Tucked into Proposition 57 were billions in new debt obligations. And
      the $5 billion in lottery borrowing that Schwarzenegger approved
      Friday belied his characterization of the 2004 companion measure,
      Proposition 58, as a move to slice up the credit cards of Sacramento
      politicians.

      To Ted Costa, an anti-tax advocate and leader of the drive to recall
      Davis, the historic ouster of a California governor has proved to be
      a waste.

      "There's a village back there in Austria right now that could sure
      have their idiot back any time they want," he said.

      Others are less caustic but nonetheless point to the identity crisis
      that Schwarzenegger's advocacy of tax hikes has visited on the party.
      If the de facto leader of California Republicans is a socially
      liberal governor who raises taxes, many wonder, what exactly does the
      party stand for?

      "He's not comfortable being a Republican, and Republicans aren't
      comfortable with him being a Republican or being governor," said
      Shawn Steel, the California committeeman for the Republican National
      Committee.

      Some Republican leaders, like Steel, are somewhat forgiving toward
      Schwarzenegger but livid at the legislators who broke with their
      party on taxes in return for election reform measures and other pet
      causes.

      "I'm far more disappointed with Republicans who actually voted for
      this monstrosity," said Steel, a former state party chairman. "Sadly,
      for the 30 pieces of silver, if that, we had some otherwise pretty
      good guys collapse. Their entire political careers are now
      threatened."

      michael.finnegan@...