2012: SCIENCE OR SUPERSTITION Konformist Review

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2009

      2012: SCIENCE OR SUPERSTITION
      Konformist Review
      Robert Sterling, Konformist.com

      I remember as a kid in 1979 viewing the "documentary" The Late Great
      Planet Earth at the Century 21 Theater in San Jose, narrated by no
      less an esteemed individual as Orson Welles. (This, along with him
      doing the voice for Magnum P.I.'s Robin Masters and commercials for
      both Paul Masson wine and the Dark Tower board game, was my early
      exposure to the cinematic master.) Like the Star Wars Trilogy, a
      movie theater next to the Winchester Mystery House was the perfect
      place to see the film. Based on the best-seller by Christian
      fundamentalist Hal Lindsey, it was incredibly frightening, depressing
      and filled with doom, warning the audience they were facing
      Armageddon if they didn't listen to a God whose views were identical
      to Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. Okay, so it wasn't the most
      logically cohesive documentary ever made, but you had to give it
      credit: in an era of The Shining, The Omen and Suspiria, it held its
      own in its ability to scare the fuck out of viewers.

      2012: Science or Superstition, by the Disinformation Company, lacks
      the guilty pleasure quality of The Late Great Planet Earth. 2012,
      after all, isn't a shameless dive in paranoia and apocalyptic fear
      that made Lindsey's doc such a fun trip. Instead, it is a thoughtful
      examination of the different views and opinions on what lays in store
      for Planet Earth on 12-21-2012, when the Maya calendar predicts the
      end of time.

      That doesn't mean there isn't some scary shit in it. Much of the
      documentary focuses on a theory that argues our sun has an evil twin -
      a twin that's coming to Earth December 2012. When it hits, we'll
      have a disaster on our hands worthy of a Michael Bay blockbuster with
      bitchin' CGI special effects. (Of course, this proves God doesn't
      have perfect foresight after all: shouldn't he have realized the
      destruction of mankind is the ultimate summer popcorn flick?) Other
      theories pursued are a change in the planet's magnetic fields or
      solar blasts. Pretty cool stuff, indeed.

      But in the end, 2012 is not a gloomy forecast of mass annihilation,
      but rather a pretty upbeat journey. It's not so much a Black Sabbath
      song as the B-52s "Love Shack" - the upside of the end of time. It's
      really an end of an age that is coming at this date, the documentary
      argues, and the endtime is more metaphorical for a transformation in
      humanity. (I'm sure the Obama cultists will use this as further
      proof on how "transcendental" Barky is.)

      For fans of the cult TV show Disinfo Nation (and count me as one) the
      style will seem familiar, which is certainly a plus. This is not
      merely because Disinformation produced both, but because the dude who
      shot and cut Disinfo Nation, Nimrod Erez, is the director here.
      (Doing a Robert Rodriguez impersonation, he also did cinematography
      and film editing duties here.) It also includes an awesome cast of
      experts, including Robert Bauval (The Orion Mystery, The Egypt Code),
      Graham Hancock (Supernatural, Fingerprints of the Gods), Jim Marrs
      (Alien Agenda, Rule By Secrecy) and Douglas Rushkoff (Cyberia, Media
      Virus.) A pretty eclectic collection and 2012 definitely was a mind-
      expanding journey for this viewer. Apparently, I'm not alone, as
      2012 hit number one on Apple iTunes documentary charts and the top
      ten on the New Releases list. Looks like there is a market for a
      smart documentary about apocalyptic visions after all. Swallow that,
      Hal Lindsey!

      2012: SCIENCE OR SUPERSTITION
      Genre: Documentary
      Street date: January 27, 2009
      Sug. Retail Price: $19.95 (DVD) / $9.99 (iTunes)
      Catalog #: DIS051
      UPC #: 826262005191
      Running Time: 78 mins. + extras