    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2007

      http://www.thenaughtyamerican.com/2007/Entertainment/10/29/Mag-Pairs-
      Hot-Chicks-With-Cold-Stiffs-489.html

      Mag Pairs Hot Chicks With Cold Stiffs
      BY JAYE BELDO
      MONDAY 29, 2007

      LOS ANGELES (TNA) – Sigmund Freud once said the world's two greatest
      taboos were sex and death. Leave it to
      Pin-up girl Hollie Stevens is just one of the babes who is dying to
      appear in 'Girls and Corpses' magazine.
      award-winning horror writer Robert Steven Rhine to bring them
      together.

      Rhine, author of such works as "Satan's 3-Ring Circus of Hell"
      and "My Brain Escapes Me," has now made strange bedfellows of – what
      else – funerals and fornication.

      His comedy/horror magazine Girls and Corpses features celebrity
      interviews, advertising spoofs, comic book art and, of course,
      photos of sumptuous babes posing suggestively with rotting
      cadavers.

      "I realized that there are an awful lot of people [men and women]
      who like to look at hot girls, and a huge audience for horror,"
      Rhine said. "So I thought, `Why not put the two great tastes
      together in one?' Sort of like a rotting Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.
      It's been a tremendous success."

      The publication, which Rhine describes as Maxim meets Dawn of the
      Dead, is far from the fringe. The print version is available
      throughout the United States and overseas through distributors
      Ingram and Diamond Comics. The Web site (www.girlsandcorpses.com)
      recently topped 100 million hits.

      'Girls and Corpses' creator Robert Steven Rhine

      Yes, G&C readers rejoice – you are no longer relegated to the seedy
      back alleys behind topless bars. Hustler magazine publisher Larry
      Flynt, a staunch defender of First Amendment rights, is pictured
      proudly hoisting a 2007 Girls and Corpses calendar on the five-year-
      old magazine's Web site. And comic actor/Internet talk show host Tom
      Green considers himself a big fan.

      But exposing corpses, as well as beautiful women, to the limelight
      isn't without its perils. There have been widespread protests,
      including one inflammatory letter from Christ The Light Cathedral in
      Salt Lake City, Utah, that read: "You are completely sick. I hope
      you and your corpses rot in hell."

      And this is a magazine with no nudity whatsoever – none – that has
      people cursing it for eternity.

      But perhaps it's the creepy columns.

      There's "Funeral Etiquette," which tells advice-seekers whether it's
      acceptable to fart at a wake, or if heckling the reader of a eulogy
      is equal to jeering a comedian on stage. Meanwhile, "Sex Tips" by
      Dr. Necco Feelya guides hapless corpses toward a healthier post-
      mortem sex life. When one deceased reader inquired about an odd
      buzzing noise, the good doctor replied it was most likely flies
      laying eggs in his ear canals, not high blood pressure. He suggested
      treating the trouble spot with a Q-Tip doused in gasoline.

      Not macabre enough? The Web site offers some truly bizarre products.
      Try "Prison Soap," which features a lifelike rectum carved into a
      real, 100-percent glycerine bar of soap. Rhine claims a San Diego
      County assistant district attorney once purchased one.

      But all anyone ever wants to talk about, it seems, are the corpses.

      "We're not grave robbers," Rhine stated emphatically, though he
      readily points out the lifelike (or deathlike, if you prefer)
      appearance of the corpses that adorn each issue is no accident.

      He claims he only uses real cadavers that he gets from South
      America, Eastern China and Guam, he explains, where laws about
      shipping bodies across continents are more "lenient." The cadavers
      are stored in dry ice and later dusted with a preserving powder
      called Cureodite, which stops the decaying process.

      Next, self-described "corpse stylist" Kevin Klemm replaces the
      cadaver's fat and water with synthetics through a technique
      called "plastination." It's the same process used by artist Gunther
      Von Hagens in his well-known Body Worlds exhibit.

      "The plastination process sets the bodies in the positions we need
      them in for the photo shoot and also allows
      Model Sheri Moon, unidentified corpse and Rhine enjoy a peaceful
      moment.
      us to work with the corpses without the usual problems of decay,
      stench and maggots – which could be a real turnoff for our female
      models and would create a biohazard under the hot lights of a photo
      shoot," Rhine explained.

      In reality, the cadavers are models made by a top Hollywood special
      effects house, but Rhine doesn't like to mention that, feeling it
      spoils "the joke."

      Fortunately, these stench-free corpses aren't made to pose with run-
      of-the mill, worn-out models or washed-up adult film stars. Instead,
      they get bona-fide hot, living babes like Sheri Moon from Rob
      Zombie's "House of a Thousand Corpses," Sid Haig, who starred
      in "The Devil's Rejects," and "Clown Porn" star Hollie Stevens,
      among others of equally impressive caliber and beauty.

      Stevens, for one, says she loves posing with her rotted co-models.
      But despite having some strong working relationships, she's not
      dying to date any of them.

      "I enjoy working with them," Stevens said. "Corpses usually have a
      great sense of humor and always
      know how to make me laugh, but they're just not my type."

      While the publication may appear to some as little more than post-
      mortem perversion, Rhine has a more enlivened, dare we say,
      healthier, outlook.

      "The ultimate goal of Girls and Corpses magazine is to open your
      eyes to the second most important event in your life following
      birth – your death," he said. "We all have an expiration date
      stamped on our soul which we have little control over, but we can
      control how we live our lives.

      "Humor is the perfect way to allow us to look at this dark and
      inevitable curtain call of life."

      Hi all... apologies if you've already been directed to this
      monstrosity, but Skylaire.com is up... and running slowly uphill...
      let me know what you think, and have a wonderful Halloween!

      --
      Skylaire Alfvegren
      "yellow journalism, elfin magic"

      *****

      http://politicsplus.blogspot.com/2007/10/did-gop-operatives-
      expose.html

      Politics Plus
      Sunday, October 28, 2007
      Did GOP Operatives Expose Whistleblowers?

      ...This summer the House Judiciary Committee launched an effort to
      collect tips from would-be whistleblowers in the Justice Department.
      The U.S. attorney firings scandal had shown that much was amiss in
      the Department, and with the danger of retaliation very real, the
      committee had set up a form on the committee's website for people to
      blow the whistle privately about abuses there. Although the panel
      said it would not accept anonymous tips, it assured those who came
      forward that their identity would be held in the "strictest
      confidence."

      But in an email sent out today, the committee inadvertently sent the
      email addresses of all the would-be whistleblowers to everyone who
      had written in to the tipline. The committee email was sent to
      tipsters who had used the website form, including presumably
      whistleblowers themselves, and all of the recipients of the email
      were accidentally included in the "to:" field -- instead of
      concealing those addresses with a so-called blind carbon copy
      or "bcc:".

      Only the email addresses were exposed; none of the names or other
      identifying information of the whistleblowers was revealed. The
      blunder, however, was noticed by a number of people who had used the
      website form and received today's email. One disgruntled recipient
      replied to the entire list of whistleblowers angrily complaining
      about the snafu; two others forwarded the committee email to
      TPMmuckraker with similar complaints.

      Compounding the mistake, the committee later sent out a second email
      attempting to recall the original email; it, too, included all
      recipients in the "to:" field, according to a recipient of the
      emails.

      A committee spokesperson emailed the following statement in response
      to TPMmuckraker's questions:

      The tip line was created to be a confidential method for Justice
      Department employees to provide the Judiciary Committee with
      information that might aid the Committee in its ongoing
      investigation of politicization at the Justice Department. Because
      of the confidentiality agreement, the Committee will not discuss any
      emails sent on this tip line. A technological error in a recent
      communication inadvertently disclosed certain email addresses. The
      Committee has not begun its review of the emails, and does not know
      if any of them are in fact from Justice Department employees as
      opposed to private citizens expressing more general views. The
      Committee apologizes for any concern this error may have caused, and
      is making every effort to protect the confidentiality of those who
      chose to provide information on the tip line.

      It's not immediately clear whether the mistake will lead to the
      exposure of those who had contacted the committee. There are more
      than 150 recipient addresses revealed in the email. Some of the
      email addresses appear to be transparently fake, but there's also,
      much more troubling, a vice_president@... carbon copied
      on the email, which is the public email address for Vice President
      Dick Cheney. In other words, an email containing the email addresses
      of all the whistleblowers who had written in to the committee
      tipline was sent to public email address of Vice President Cheney...
      [emphasis added]

      Inserted from <TPM>

      It matters not that only the email addresses were exposed. The
      Reich is more than capable of tracing email addresses. If it was an
      error at all, it was not technological. It was human. I forward
      items to friends daily, and I always use the Bcc: field, with a
      dummy address in the To: field. This is not rocket science folks!
      The committee replying that they are making every attempt to protect
      the confidentiality of those who chose to provide information on the
      tip line is meaningless. The cat is already out of the bag. But
      was this a blunder?

      When I first saw this, I thought "What Idiots!", but the more I mull
      it over, that explanation makes no sense to me. Why would a
      professional in the Judiciary Committee staff not use Bcc: as
      automatically as I do? And why would they Cc: Cheney? I don't
      think so. I think this is a deliberate attempt by a Republican on
      the Judiciary committee to derail the DOJ investigation by leaking
      the identities of whistleblowers to Cheney to expose them to
      intimidation and revenge.

      Here is the list of suspects:

      Sensenbrenner Jr. (R) Wisconsin, 5th
      Coble (R) North Carolina, 6th
      Gallegly (R) California, 24th
      Goodlatte (R) Virginia, 6th
      Chabot (R) Ohio, 1st
      Lungren (R) California, 3rd
      Cannon (R) Utah, 3rd
      Keller (R) Florida, 8th
      Issa (R) California, 49th
      Pence (R) Indiana, 6th
      Forbes (R) Virginia, 4th
      King (R) Iowa, 5th
      Feeney (R) Florida, 24th
      Franks (R) Arizona, 2nd
      Gohmert (R) Texas, 1st
      Jordan (R) Ohio, 4th

      Posted by TomCat

      Labels: Ethics, GOP Hypocrites, Investigations, Oversight, Politics,
      Scandal

      *****

      http://www.salon.com/mwt/good_life/2007/10/29/prius/

      Who needs a Prius anyway?
      Plenty of new fuel-efficient cars pollute less than trendy hybrids,
      without draining your bank account.
      By Rebecca Clarren

      Oct. 29, 2007 | More than a cloth grocery bag or a Nalgene bottle,
      today's accessory for any hot-blooded environmentalist is a hybrid
      car. For anyone who can afford the $22,000 price tag, a Toyota Prius
      and other hybrids announce to the world that you are someone who
      cares about melting glaciers and the fate of polar bears. People
      have always bought cars as status symbol. Where would the sports car
      be without the midlife crisis?

      So if you want to pay more than $20,000 to reduce your carbon
      footprint, brag about your part in reducing dependence on foreign
      oil, and garner esteem from friends at the natural food store, go
      right ahead. Just don't be too smug. If hybrids are driving a
      revolution, it's a televised road trip to marketing heaven.

      Hybrids aren't necessarily the most environmentally friendly car on
      the market, says Jim Kliesch of Greenercars.org. The Web site,
      sponsored by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy,
      rates cars based on tailpipe emissions, gas usage and factory
      emissions associated with manufacturing. While the Prius and Honda's
      hybrid Incite get reported averages of 40 miles per gallon, they're
      far from the 60 mpg promised on the sticker for city driving. The
      disconnect is due to an outdated Environmental Protection Agency
      calculation for fuel economy estimates that fails to include air
      conditioning, cold-weather driving and high freeway speeds. In
      October, the EPA implemented its new calculation method for 2008
      models. It now claims the Prius gets 45 mpg on the highway.

      Part of the hybrids' green allure is that when they idle in traffic
      or at a stoplight, the battery kicks in and shuts down the polluting
      gas engine. Even so, several cars on the market, such as the Honda
      Accord and Volkswagen's Beetle and Rabbit, emit less than hybrids.
      In fact, Honda's non-hybrid Civic GX (it's natural-gas powered) tops
      Greencars.org's "Greenest Vehicles of 2007."

      Some hybrids don't deserve any kind of green bragging rights. The
      Lexus RX SUV is designed not for fuel efficiency but for speed and
      power, and gets an average 30 mpg. That's not bad for an SUV but a
      host of non-hybrid cars get better gas mileage. So why do hybrid
      owners deserve tax credits and access to high-occupancy lanes? Such
      tax credits are window dressing that allow politicians to appear as
      if they're doing something to help the environment, says Jamie
      Kitman, the New York bureau chief for Automobile magazine. Congress
      hasn't increased the federal mileage standard in new trucks and cars
      since 1985. While the Senate has proposed requiring new automobiles
      to deliver 35 mpg by 2020; the effort is being derailed not only by
      Detroit's Big Three but by Prius-maker Toyota, the company that
      claims to be "moving America forward."

      In reality, the cheapest and simplest way to cut carbon emissions is
      with small, lightweight cars that get good gas mileage. This is good
      news for me. I'm a journalist. This means I can look forward to a
      life of small paychecks, and for now hybrids are too expensive for
      me. So I set out to find a hybrid alternative that can still get me
      to the mountains, soccer games and, yes, the natural food store.

      Daniel Jerzag, a Polish immigrant with a polyester shirt and a
      sprayed-on salesman smile, was my appointed ambassador to the Honda
      fleet of non-hybrid cars. A patient man, he took it in stride when I
      hopped in the back of the Honda Fit, a model that's about a foot
      shorter than my Subaru, to see if I would be able to sleep in back
      if I were camping and a torrential downpour caused my tent to feel
      as watertight as a colander and I needed to sleep in my car. This
      has happened. It could happen again.

      I folded down the back seats and if I lay horizontally, I could just
      fit (get it!). This probably won't be a viable option for most
      people: I am only 5 feet tall. However, when I loaded my bike, a
      cruiser from the 1950s with a basket and fenders, into the back, it
      fit no problem. "This, ugliest car we've got," said Daniel with his
      charming broken English.

      With a sales pitch like that, clearly he doesn't have to work too
      hard. Honda Fits are sprinting off the lot. Dealerships report
      they're mostly sold before they arrive. All sorts of people -- 20-
      somethings, families, a lot of women in their mid-50s -- buy these
      cars, said Daniel. While the Honda hybrid gets around 40 mpg, the
      Fit, for $6,000 less, gets 37 mpg.

      Like the Fit and the Civic, the Nissan Versa gets a high score from
      Greenercars. A joint venture between Nissan and Renault, this
      $12,000 sedan has a certain French stylish interior with tons of
      space for a family of four on a road trip to the Grand Canyon. The
      trunk is small, however; there's no way you'd fit a bike or
      snowboard inside the car. But during the week I test-drove the
      Versa, it got me to trails in the forest, my yoga class and, yes,
      the natural food store, with gas mileage in town that neared 40
      miles to the gallon. If I needed extra space, I could always use one
      of those Kayak or Thule removable roof trunks.

      Tom Dwyer, my mechanic in Portland, whose automotive business is eco-
      certified, says "hybrids are a short-term step to where we need to
      be, which is a full plug-in." But plans for fully electric cars,
      thanks in large part to auto industry lobbying against them, and now
      the popularity of hybrids, have been relegated to the back burner by
      Detroit and Tokyo.

      At best, hybrids remain a relatively expensive option for drivers
      who want to cut their gas use and emit less pollution; at worst,
      they're a way for the automotive industry to stall development of
      something closer to a zero-emission vehicle. So if status isn't at
      the top of your buying list for a new car, you might be better off
      indulging your driving vice in a Versa.

      -- By Rebecca Clarren

      *****

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071030/ts_afp/consumerhealthfoodchildre

      Sleeping pills for kids top global list of bad products
      Tue Oct 30, 2007

      Sleeping pills advertised for children, dangerous toys and bottled
      water taken from local reservoirs are among the world's worst
      products, a global consumer group said Monday.

      In announcing its bad products awards for 2007, Consumers
      International said the top prize went to the US subsidiary of
      Japanese firm Takeda Pharmaceuticals for promoting a sleeping drug
      for children.

      The company ran a television advertisement in the United States
      which used images of children, chalk boards and a school bus to sell
      its drug Rozerem.

      The "back-to-school" advertisements, which complied with US law,
      promoted the sleeping pills to parents without including health
      warnings for children, Consumers International said.

      "This case demonstrates the lengths to which some drug companies
      will go to increase sales of their products, how direct to consumer
      advertising can promote irrational drug use, and how weak regulation
      can foster irresponsible corporate behaviour," the group said.

      Another award went to drinks giant Coca-Cola for pushing
      marketing "into the realms of the ridiculous" in the United States
      and South America with its Dasani bottled water which is sourced
      from the same reservoirs as local tap water.

      Kellogg's, best known for its cereals, was given a bad food award
      for the worldwide use of cartoon characters and marketing aimed at
      children despite the high levels of salt and sugar in some foods.

      "Kellogg's are one of a number of international food companies that
      make money by selling products high in fat, sugar and/or salt,"
      Consumers International said.

      "Threatened with litigation in the US, Kellogg's have agreed to
      change some of their marketing practices, however we believe they
      are doing too little, too late."

      Toymaker Mattel was also named over the global recall of more than
      19 million products made in China because of high lead levels and
      small magnets.

      Last month the US toymaker apologised to China, saying the vast
      majority of recalls were due to design flaws and had nothing to do
      with where the toys were manufactured.

      "This is a classic case of avoiding accountability and shifting
      responsibility on a global scale," Consumers International said.

      "Wherever the fault lies, the safety of consumers was compromised
      and this should be the full focus of Mattel's attention, not finger
      pointing and not blame dodging."

      Consumers International, a global federation of consumer advocate
      organisations, said the awards aimed to highlight the abuse of
      consumer trust.

      "These multi-billion dollar companies are global brands with a
      responsibility to be honest, accountable and responsible," the
      group's director general Richard Lloyd said.

      "In highlighting their shortcomings, Consumers International and its
      220 member organisations are holding corporations to account and
      demanding businesses take social responsibility seriously."

      The awards, which were announced at Consumers International's World
      Congress in Sydney, were whittled down from submissions by consumer
      organisations around the world.

      Criteria for final selection included the size of the company, the
      scale of sales and marketing, the impact on consumers, and the
      potential for change by the corporation.

      *****

      http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gr3BZsZW6SqIbRymEzRx_7Wx8rRQD8SJNL
      IO1

      Elvis Is Forbes' Richest Dead Celebrity
      10-30-7

      NEW YORK (AP) — Elvis Presley is still the King. Presley, who earned
      an estimated $49 million in the past 12 months, has reclaimed the
      No. 1 spot on Forbes.com's list of Top-Earning Dead Celebrities. He
      last topped the list in 2005.

      John Lennon ranks second with earnings of $44 million, followed by
      Charles M. Schulz ($35 million), George Harrison ($22 million),
      Albert Einstein ($18 million), Andy Warhol ($15 million), Theodor
      Geisel (Dr. Seuss) ($13 million), Tupac Shakur ($9 million), Marilyn
      Monroe ($7 million), Steve McQueen ($6 million), James Brown ($5
      million), Bob Marley ($4 million) and James Dean ($3.5 million).

      Presley died in 1977. His estate continues to generate millions from
      music royalties, DVDs, licensing deals and tourism at Graceland, the
      rocker's mansion in Memphis, Tenn.

      Forbes said the celebrities on the list, posted Monday, earned a
      combined $232 million in the past 12 months.

      On the Net:
      Forbes: http://www.forbes.com