Do It Yourself Impeachment

  • Lonenutter@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2006
      Do it Yourself Impeachment
      Jaye Beldo

      In an recent interview with CBS's 60 Minutes, democratic House Minority Leader
      Nancy Pelosi made a disheartening, point blank statement to the effect
      that the impeachment of George W. Bush is ' a waste of time' and is 'off the
      table'. She then said of the Republican party that "Making them lame ducks is
      good enough for me." Also jumping on Pelosi bandwagon is Congressman John
      Conyers, who mysteriously deleted his 350 page long report called "The
      Constitution in Crisis" describing grounds for the impeachment of the
      president. Sad to say, it appears that the majority of Democrats will do a
      similar 180 degree flip flop and proceed with their 'business as usual' policies
      in Washington, D.C.

      Fortunately, there is an alternative at hand for We the People in the form of a
      little known clause found within what is called the Jefferson's Manual.
      Impeach For Peace, a Minneapolis based organization is making it easier for
      citizens to take the actions necessary to initiate impeachment proceedings
      themselves. The following is from the Impeach For Peace website:

      "Jefferson's Manual is an interpretive guide to parliamentary procedure, and is
      included (along with the Constitution) in the bound volumes of the Rules of the
      House of Representatives. It is ratified by each congress (including the current
      one), and has been updated continuously through the history of our democracy.
      The section covering impeachment lists the acceptable vehicles for bringing
      impeachment motions to the floor of the House."

      By simply going to their website and downloading the Do It Yourself Impeachment
      Memorial PDF file and following the instructions, we can send a sufficiently loud message
      to Nancy Pelosi, Conyers and many others that Bush must be removed from office
      prior to taking any other action to restore democracy in the U.S . If enough
      of us take action and pressure our elected representatives to proceed with
      impeachment, the permanent removal of Bush may very well become a reality.

      I found the whole Do It Yourself Impeachment Memorial process quite easy. After
      printing out the petition and instructions on the PDF file I downloaded
      (it is only four pages long), I was able to write my letter to Nancy Pelosi in a
      matter of minutes, simply by filling in my name, signing and dating it. Once
      mailed to Pelosi, the petitions will then be submitted for review by the House
      Judiciary Committee. There are also instructions to send the letter again on
      January 15th, 2007. Surely if enough of us proceed with this, a noticeable
      impact will indeed be made and the contempt that politicians are showing for U.S,
      citizens duly checked. For those of use who are time challenged, the cover
      letter and petition require no notarization whatsoever, although that is an
      option if you'd like to make it more official looking.

      The Impeach for Peace folks also include additional information on how we can
      spread the word to others primarily through e-mailing links to their site,
      posting messages on various blogs as well as sending additional copies of the
      Do It Yourself Impeachment Memorial to other members of the House of
      Representatives. Needless to say, they also provide ample evidence for the
      crimes that Bush has committed and the justification for impeachment. Their
      website also includes the pros and cons of proceeding with impeachment, FAQs
      and links to other citizen friendly websites. If exercising our rights in a
      democratic country such as ours is this easy, perhaps a revolution will ensue
      and the kakistocrats currently controlling things will be thrown out once and
      for all.

      For more information on Impeach For Peace, go to:

      2006-Jaye Beldo