Rise Up Against the Empire

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 3:16 PM

      Address to the United Nations: Rise Up Against the Empire
      By Hugo Chavez Frias, President of Venezuela
      Sep 20, 2006
      Counterpunch.org

      Representatives of the governments of the world, good morning to all
      of you. First of all, I would like to invite you, very respectfully,
      to those who have not read this book, to read it.

      Noam Chomsky, one of the most prestigious American and world
      intellectuals, Noam Chomsky, and this is one of his most recent
      books, 'Hegemony or Survival: The Imperialist Strategy of the United
      States.'" [Holds up book, waves it in front of General
      Assembly.] "It's an excellent book to help us understand what has
      been happening in the world throughout the 20th century, and what's
      happening now, and the greatest threat looming over our planet.

      The hegemonic pretensions of the American empire are placing at risk
      the very survival of the human species. We continue to warn you
      about this danger and we appeal to the people of the United States
      and the world to halt this threat, which is like a sword hanging
      over our heads. I had considered reading from this book, but, for
      the sake of time," [flips through the pages, which are numerous] "I
      will just leave it as a recommendation.

      It reads easily, it is a very good book, I'm sure Madame [President]
      you are familiar with it. It appears in English, in Russian, in
      Arabic, in German. I think that the first people who should read
      this book are our brothers and sisters in the United States, because
      their threat is right in their own house.

      The devil is right at home. The devil, the devil himself, is right
      in the house.

      "And the devil came here yesterday. Yesterday the devil came here.
      Right here." [crosses himself] "And it smells of sulfur still today.

      Yesterday, ladies and gentlemen, from this rostrum, the president of
      the United States, the gentleman to whom I refer as the devil, came
      here, talking as if he owned the world. Truly. As the owner of the
      world.

      I think we could call a psychiatrist to analyze yesterday's
      statement made by the president of the United States. As the
      spokesman of imperialism, he came to share his nostrums, to try to
      preserve the current pattern of domination, exploitation and pillage
      of the peoples of the world.

      An Alfred Hitchcock movie could use it as a scenario. I would even
      propose a title: "The Devil's Recipe."

      As Chomsky says here, clearly and in depth, the American empire is
      doing all it can to consolidate its system of domination. And we
      cannot allow them to do that. We cannot allow world dictatorship to
      be consolidated.

      The world parent's statement -- cynical, hypocritical, full of this
      imperial hypocrisy from the need they have to control everything.

      They say they want to impose a democratic model. But that's their
      democratic model. It's the false democracy of elites, and, I would
      say, a very original democracy that's imposed by weapons and bombs
      and firing weapons.

      What a strange democracy. Aristotle might not recognize it or others
      who are at the root of democracy.

      What type of democracy do you impose with marines and bombs?

      The president of the United States, yesterday, said to us, right
      here, in this room, and I'm quoting, "Anywhere you look, you hear
      extremists telling you can escape from poverty and recover your
      dignity through violence, terror and martyrdom."

      Wherever he looks, he sees extremists. And you, my brother -- he
      looks at your color, and he says, oh, there's an extremist. Evo
      Morales, the worthy president of Bolivia, looks like an extremist to
      him.

      The imperialists see extremists everywhere. It's not that we are
      extremists. It's that the world is waking up. It's waking up all
      over. And people are standing up.

      I have the feeling, dear world dictator, that you are going to live
      the rest of your days as a nightmare because the rest of us are
      standing up, all those who are rising up against American
      imperialism, who are shouting for equality, for respect, for the
      sovereignty of nations.

      Yes, you can call us extremists, but we are rising up against the
      empire, against the model of domination.

      The president then -- and this he said himself, he said: "I have
      come to speak directly to the populations in the Middle East, to
      tell them that my country wants peace."

      That's true. If we walk in the streets of the Bronx, if we walk
      around New York, Washington, San Diego, in any city, San Antonio,
      San Francisco, and we ask individuals, the citizens of the United
      States, what does this country want? Does it want peace? They'll say
      yes.

      But the government doesn't want peace. The government of the United
      States doesn't want peace. It wants to exploit its system of
      exploitation, of pillage, of hegemony through war.

      It wants peace. But what's happening in Iraq? What happened in
      Lebanon? In Palestine? What's happening? What's happened over the
      last 100 years in Latin America and in the world? And now
      threatening Venezuela -- new threats against Venezuela, against Iran?

      He spoke to the people of Lebanon. Many of you, he said, have seen
      how your homes and communities were caught in the crossfire. How
      cynical can you get? What a capacity to lie shamefacedly. The bombs
      in Beirut with millimetric precision?

      This is crossfire? He's thinking of a western, when people would
      shoot from the hip and somebody would be caught in the crossfire.

      This is imperialist, fascist, assassin, genocidal, the empire and
      Israel firing on the people of Palestine and Lebanon. That is what
      happened. And now we hear, "We're suffering because we see homes
      destroyed.'

      The president of the United States came to talk to the peoples -- to
      the peoples of the world. He came to say -- I brought some documents
      with me, because this morning I was reading some statements, and I
      see that he talked to the people of Afghanistan, the people of
      Lebanon, the people of Iran. And he addressed all these peoples
      directly.

      And you can wonder, just as the president of the United States
      addresses those peoples of the world, what would those peoples of
      the world tell him if they were given the floor? What would they
      have to say?

      And I think I have some inkling of what the peoples of the south,
      the oppressed people think. They would say, "Yankee imperialist, go
      home." I think that is what those people would say if they were
      given the microphone and if they could speak with one voice to the
      American imperialists.

      And that is why, Madam President, my colleagues, my friends, last
      year we came here to this same hall as we have been doing for the
      past eight years, and we said something that has now been confirmed -
      - fully, fully confirmed.

      I don't think anybody in this room could defend the system. Let's
      accept -- let's be honest. The U.N. system, born after the Second
      World War, collapsed. It's worthless.

      Oh, yes, it's good to bring us together once a year, see each other,
      make statements and prepare all kinds of long documents, and listen
      to good speeches, like Abel's yesterday, or President Mullah's .
      Yes, it's good for that.

      And there are a lot of speeches, and we've heard lots from the
      president of Sri Lanka, for instance, and the president of Chile.

      But we, the assembly, have been turned into a merely deliberative
      organ. We have no power, no power to make any impact on the terrible
      situation in the world. And that is why Venezuela once again
      proposes, here, today, 20 September, that we re-establish the United
      Nations.

      Last year, Madam, we made four modest proposals that we felt to be
      crucially important. We have to assume the responsibility our heads
      of state, our ambassadors, our representatives, and we have to
      discuss it.

      The first is expansion, and Mullah talked about this yesterday right
      here. The Security Council, both as it has permanent and non-
      permanent categories, (inaudible) developing countries and LDCs must
      be given access as new permanent members. That's step one.

      Second, effective methods to address and resolve world conflicts,
      transparent decisions.

      Point three, the immediate suppression -- and that is something
      everyone's calling for -- of the anti-democratic mechanism known as
      the veto, the veto on decisions of the Security Council.

      Let me give you a recent example. The immoral veto of the United
      States allowed the Israelis, with impunity, to destroy Lebanon.
      Right in front of all of us as we stood there watching, a resolution
      in the council was prevented.

      Fourthly, we have to strengthen, as we've always said, the role and
      the powers of the secretary general of the United Nations.

      Yesterday, the secretary general practically gave us his speech of
      farewell. And he recognized that over the last 10 years, things have
      just gotten more complicated; hunger, poverty, violence, human
      rights violations have just worsened. That is the tremendous
      consequence of the collapse of the United Nations system and
      American hegemonistic pretensions.

      Madam, Venezuela a few years ago decided to wage this battle within
      the United Nations by recognizing the United Nations, as members of
      it that we are, and lending it our voice, our thinking.

      Our voice is an independent voice to represent the dignity and the
      search for peace and the reformulation of the international system;
      to denounce persecution and aggression of hegemonistic forces on the
      planet.

      This is how Venezuela has presented itself. Bolivar's home has
      sought a nonpermanent seat on the Security Council.

      Let's see. Well, there's been an open attack by the U.S. government,
      an immoral attack, to try and prevent Venezuela from being freely
      elected to a post in the Security Council.

      The imperium is afraid of truth, is afraid of independent voices. It
      calls us extremists, but they are the extremists.

      And I would like to thank all the countries that have kindly
      announced their support for Venezuela, even though the ballot is a
      secret one and there's no need to announce things.

      But since the imperium has attacked, openly, they strengthened the
      convictions of many countries. And their support strengthens us.

      Mercosur, as a bloc, has expressed its support, our brothers in
      Mercosur. Venezuela, with Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, is a
      full member of Mercosur.

      And many other Latin American countries, CARICOM, Bolivia have
      expressed their support for Venezuela. The Arab League, the full
      Arab League has voiced its support. And I am immensely grateful to
      the Arab world, to our Arab brothers, our Caribbean brothers, the
      African Union. Almost all of Africa has expressed its support for
      Venezuela and countries such as Russia or China and many others.

      I thank you all warmly on behalf of Venezuela, on behalf of our
      people, and on behalf of the truth, because Venezuela, with a seat
      on the Security Council, will be expressing not only Venezuela's
      thoughts, but it will also be the voice of all the peoples of the
      world, and we will defend dignity and truth.

      Over and above all of this, Madam President, I think there are
      reasons to be optimistic. A poet would have said "helplessly
      optimistic," because over and above the wars and the bombs and the
      aggressive and the preventive war and the destruction of entire
      peoples, one can see that a new era is dawning.

      As Silvio Rodriguez says, the era is giving birth to a heart. There
      are alternative ways of thinking. There are young people who think
      differently. And this has already been seen within the space of a
      mere decade. It was shown that the end of history was a totally
      false assumption, and the same was shown about Pax Americana and the
      establishment of the capitalist neo-liberal world. It has been
      shown, this system, to generate mere poverty. Who believes in it now?

      What we now have to do is define the future of the world. Dawn is
      breaking out all over. You can see it in Africa and Europe and Latin
      America and Oceanea. I want to emphasize that optimistic vision.

      We have to strengthen ourselves, our will to do battle, our
      awareness. We have to build a new and better world.

      Venezuela joins that struggle, and that's why we are threatened. The
      U.S. has already planned, financed and set in motion a coup in
      Venezuela, and it continues to support coup attempts in Venezuela
      and elsewhere.

      President Michelle Bachelet reminded us just a moment ago of the
      horrendous assassination of the former foreign minister, Orlando
      Letelier.

      And I would just add one thing: Those who perpetrated this crime are
      free. And that other event where an American citizen also died were
      American themselves. They were CIA killers, terrorists.

      And we must recall in this room that in just a few days there will
      be another anniversary. Thirty years will have passed from this
      other horrendous terrorist attack on the Cuban plane, where 73
      innocents died, a Cubana de Aviacion airliner.

      And where is the biggest terrorist of this continent who took the
      responsibility for blowing up the plane? He spent a few years in
      jail in Venezuela. Thanks to CIA and then government officials, he
      was allowed to escape, and he lives here in this country, protected
      by the government.

      And he was convicted. He has confessed to his crime. But the U.S.
      government has double standards. It protects terrorism when it wants
      to.

      And this is to say that Venezuela is fully committed to combating
      terrorism and violence. And we are one of the people who are
      fighting for peace.

      Luis Posada Carriles is the name of that terrorist who is protected
      here. And other tremendously corrupt people who escaped from
      Venezuela are also living here under protection: a group that bombed
      various embassies, that assassinated people during the coup. They
      kidnapped me and they were going to kill me, but I think God reached
      down and our people came out into the streets and the army was too,
      and so I'm here today.

      But these people who led that coup are here today in this country
      protected by the American government. And I accuse the American
      government of protecting terrorists and of having a completely
      cynical discourse.

      We mentioned Cuba. Yes, we were just there a few days ago. We just
      came from there happily.

      And there you see another era born. The Summit of the 15, the Summit
      of the Nonaligned, adopted a historic resolution. This is the
      outcome document. Don't worry, I'm not going to read it.

      But you have a whole set of resolutions here that were adopted after
      open debate in a transparent matter -- more than 50 heads of state.
      Havana was the capital of the south for a few weeks, and we have now
      launched, once again, the group of the nonaligned with new momentum.

      And if there is anything I could ask all of you here, my companions,
      my brothers and sisters, it is to please lend your good will to lend
      momentum to the Nonaligned Movement for the birth of the new era, to
      prevent hegemony and prevent further advances of imperialism.

      And as you know, Fidel Castro is the president of the nonaligned for
      the next three years, and we can trust him to lead the charge very
      efficiently.

      Unfortunately they thought, "Oh, Fidel was going to die." But
      they're going to be disappointed because he didn't. And he's not
      only alive, he's back in his green fatigues, and he's now presiding
      the nonaligned.

      So, my dear colleagues, Madam President, a new, strong movement has
      been born, a movement of the south. We are men and women of the
      south.

      With this document, with these ideas, with these criticisms, I'm now
      closing my file. I'm taking the book with me. And, don't forget, I'm
      recommending it very warmly and very humbly to all of you.

      We want ideas to save our planet, to save the planet from the
      imperialist threat. And hopefully in this very century, in not too
      long a time, we will see this, we will see this new era, and for our
      children and our grandchildren a world of peace based on the
      fundamental principles of the United Nations, but a renewed United
      Nations.

      And maybe we have to change location. Maybe we have to put the
      United Nations somewhere else; maybe a city of the south. We've
      proposed Venezuela.

      You know that my personal doctor had to stay in the plane. The chief
      of security had to be left in a locked plane. Neither of these
      gentlemen was allowed to arrive and attend the U.N. meeting. This is
      another abuse and another abuse of power on the part of the Devil.
      It smells of sulfur here, but God is with us and I embrace you all.

      May God bless us all. Good day to you.