The Department of TORTURE

  • activist_zz
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2005
      As always we fature the action links first

      http://www.nocrony.com/no_conservative.htm (Supreme Court)

      http://www.nocrony.com/no_torture.htm (McCain Amendment)

      ATROCITY THREATENS TO BECOME OFFICIAL U.S. FOREIGN POLICY

      The Senate amendment to the new Defense Appropriations Act would
      explicitly prohibit the U.S. government from subjecting those in
      its custody to cruel, inhumane, or degrading treatment or
      punishment. It's pretty straightforward stuff. Yet despite a
      rousing 90-9 vote for its passage, there are still dark forces at
      work trying to subvert the intent of this measure, the language of
      which must survive the conference committee in the House of
      Representatives.

      If the morality perverters have their way, there will be a
      carve-out to exempt the CIA from this prohibition. They are
      seeking this with the express knowledge that sadists (acting under
      the color of CIA authority) have been responsible for the horrific
      abuses which made necessary further action and clarification of
      existing law. This exemption would in fact turn the measure on
      its head to AUTHORIZE torture by a particular agency,
      diametrically contrary to the amendment's intent. They might as
      well appoint a "Torture Czar" and make it a cabinet level
      position.

      Actually, for all practical purposes we already have a torture
      czar . . . it's the Vice President of the United States, Dick
      Cheney. Yes, it is Cheney himself who is PERSONALLY pressuring
      the conference committee to rescind the McCain amendment in this
      way (just as he was pressuring CIA analysts in the cooking of the
      justification for war with Iraq). It has been Cheney himself who
      has taken a lead role from the beginning, talking in 2002 about
      the need to revive the "dark arts." Since they could no longer
      keep the abuses at Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib and elsewhere
      classified, they have prosecuted a couple of selected patsies for
      these crimes, while their agency handlers right up through the
      chain of command have continued in their unconscionable ways.

      This is not to let the president himself off the hook. In the
      first place there is Bush's own overreaching lust for absolute
      dictatorial power. Indeed, his longtime attorney and ally,
      Alberto Gonzales, put his name on the infamous Jan 25, 2002 memo,
      referring to the Geneva convention as "quaint." But what many
      people do not realize is that the heart of that reprehensible
      legal pretzel job was drafted by David Addington, the staff
      attorney closely associated with Dick Cheney. And would anybody
      like to guess Mr. Addington's current title in the White House?
      That's right. He just replaced the indicted "Scooter" Libby as
      Cheney's Chief of Staff.

      There isn't a "talking head" out there not drinking their own
      "talking points Kool-Aid" who believes the Fitzgerald
      investigation is remotely close to being finished. If anything,
      the allegations in the Libby indictment, which identify Cheney as
      the one who specifically advised Libby that Valerie (Plame) Wilson
      worked under the covert wing of the CIA, suggest that the Vice
      President is at least one of the big game that the Special Counsel
      is still pursuing. The tight-lipped Fifth Amendment-type
      reactions given by Cheney in the aftermath of the indictment to
      explain his own role in the leak scandal do nothing to dispel the
      intrigue. Instead the administration is circling the torture-
      advocate wagons even tighter with the promotion of Addington,
      while the shadow of Traitorgate continues to darken over their
      heads.

      Especially now, with the chickens of treason coming home to roost
      in the nest of the chicken hawks themselves, this is the last time
      in history for the authors of torture as official American policy
      to be allowed to push for largesse for even wider atrocities. We
      must all immediately contact our senators and members of the House
      of Representatives who might have influence on the conference
      committee to demand that the overwhelmingly approved language of
      the McCain amendment remain intact in the final Defense
      Appropriations Bill.

      ACTION FORM: http://www.nocrony.com/no_torture.htm (McCain
      Amendment)

      We must also recognize that this is profoundly related to the
      selection of a replacement for Harriet Miers as Supreme Court
      nominee. Remember -- one of the talking points of the neocons
      (before they turned on her for not being sufficiently and
      demonstrably loyal to their causes) was that she would support the
      president's policies in the deceptively dubbed "war on terror."
      But the universal common denominator of all Bush appointees is
      their submissive endorsement of the unlimited expansion of the
      president's power to do whatever he likes in defiance of Congress
      and even the people themselves.

      In his own confirmation hearing Roberts refused to say (among
      other things) whether the Congress would have the power to stop a
      war if the president ignored their authority. That case might
      come before him, he argued, as if he knew something we didn't.
      And it most certainly will if Bush is not stopped from making any
      more such appointments. Roberts and his ilk will not legislate
      from the bench (as if that were the boogie man to be feared). No,
      instead they will UN-legislate from the bench, perhaps even to
      remove the McCain language from American law by court order on the
      grounds that it would interfere with the power of the president to
      play God. Remember also that in his first day on the bench of the
      high court Roberts left the sheep's clothing in his chambers to
      ask aggressively why they should not overturn the TWICE-expressed
      will of the people in the Oregon "Right to Die" case.

      For all of these reasons we must demand that the next nominee to
      the Supreme Court be a true moderate and a true nonpartisan. One
      of the truly beautiful things about Special Counsel Patrick
      Fitzgerald is that the American people can look at his work and
      agree that it will be based entirely on the facts and the law.
      Even opposing attorneys of those he has indicted must concede that
      he is unwavering in his fairness and his integrity, favoring
      neither side by any inherent bias. We can demand no less from the
      next justice to be appointed to the Supreme Court.

      ACTION FORM: http://www.nocrony.com/no_conservative.htm (Supreme
      Court)

      If we all speak out, we can remove the Vice President from his
      position as the torture czar. It's not as if he doesn't have
      enough other black hats to wear; he's already serving in the
      capacity of treason czar as it is. Sheriff Fitzgerald is working
      on that last one. The rest is up to we the people.

      Forward this email to everyone you know, and encourage its
      posting on blogs and websites.

      originally posted by The Pen to konformist