KN4M 6-6

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2005

      FBI Records Cite Quran Abuse Allegations
      By ROBERT BURNS
      The Associated Press
      Thursday, May 26, 2005

      WASHINGTON -- The conflicting accounts of how U.S. military guards
      handled Muslim prisoners' Qurans at Guantanamo Bay show two sides of
      a psychological war between the terror suspects and their holders.

      Detainees have claimed guards used the holy books as a weapon to
      break their will to resist interrogation. The Pentagon asserts that
      some detainees fabricated their claims in a calculated effort to
      agitate the wider prison population and undermine the control of the
      U.S. military.

      In the latest disclosure, declassified FBI reports showed that
      detainees at the U.S. naval prison in Cuba told FBI and military
      interrogators on a number of occasions as early as April 2002 _
      three months after the first prisoners arrived at the makeshift
      prison _ that guards abused them and desecrated the Quran.

      "Their behavior is bad," one detainee is quoted as saying of his
      guards during an interrogation by an FBI special agent on July 22,
      2002. "About five months ago the guards beat the detainees. They
      flushed a Quran in the toilet."

      Lawrence Di Rita, chief spokesman for Defense Secretary Donald H.
      Rumsfeld, said Wednesday that U.S. military officials at Guantanamo
      Bay had recently found a separate record of the same allegation by
      the same detainee, and he was re-interviewed on May 14. "He did not
      corroborate his own allegation," Di Rita said.

      Di Rita said U.S. commanders have documented a number of cases in
      which detainees tore pages out of a Quran, or ripped off the cover,
      and then blamed the guards. This was designed, he said, to stir
      outrage among other detainees and disrupt the order imposed by the
      guards.

      The statements about guards disrespecting the Quran echo public
      allegations made many months later by some detainees and their
      lawyers after the prisoners' release from Guantanamo Bay. The FBI
      documents show a consistency to the allegations and are the first
      indication that Justice and Defense department officials were aware
      in early 2002 that detainees were accusing their guards of
      mistreating the Quran.

      One told an interrogator in March 2003 that guards had repeatedly
      mishandled the Quran. The detainee asked why the United States, as a
      supporter of freedom of religion, was using the Muslim holy book as
      a weapon.

      Still another said in October 2002 that he and other detainees had
      been "beaten, spit upon and treated worse than a dog."

      Separately on Wednesday, Amnesty International urged the United
      States to shut down the prison, calling it "the gulag of our time."
      White House spokesman Scott McClellan said the human rights group's
      complaints were "unsupported by the facts" and allegations of
      mistreatment were being investigated.

      Some 540 men are being held at Guantanamo Bay on suspicion of links
      to Afghanistan's ousted Taliban government or the al-Qaida terror
      network. Some have been jailed for more than three years without
      charge.

      Di Rita said the charges of deliberate Quran desecration by U.S.
      military personnel were "fantastic" and "not credible on their face"
      because U.S. commanders were careful not to inflame passions among
      the detainees.

      "Commanders knew it was a very sensitive issue and they didn't need
      the trouble," the spokesman said.

      Di Rita said some detainees had been trained to make such false
      claims as a psychological tactic.

      Indeed, the FBI records cite at least one instance in which a
      detainee is said to have falsely claimed that a guard had dropped a
      Quran. "In actuality the detainee dropped the Quran and then blamed
      the guard. Many other detainees reacted to this claim," the FBI
      document said, and that sparked an uprising "on or about 19-20 July
      2002."

      In an April 6, 2002, FBI interrogation, one of the detainees said
      guards had been "pushing them around and throwing their waste bucket
      at them in the cell, sometimes with waste still in the bucket, and
      kicking the Quran."

      Another detainee stated he had been beaten unconscious at Guantanamo
      Bay in the spring of 2002, a period in which U.S. interrogators were
      pressing hard for intelligence information they believed some of the
      detainees held on the planning, structure and tactics of Osama bin
      Laden's al-Qaida terrorist network.

      The newly released FBI records do not indicate whether the
      allegations were investigated or substantiated.

      officials had confirmed allegations of Quran desecration at
      Guantanamo Bay, Pentagon officials have said repeatedly that they
      have turned up no credible, substantiated claims that U.S. military
      guards had deliberately treated the Muslim holy book with disrespect.

      Di Rita said the Pentagon had not seen the new FBI documents until
      they were made public Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties
      Union. The ACLU said it had received them in response to a federal
      court order that directed the FBI and other agencies to comply with
      the organization's request under the Freedom of Information Act.

      Large portions of the interrogation summaries were blacked out by
      FBI censors before being released to the ACLU.

      In January 2003, the military issued a three-page written guideline
      for handling a detainee's Quran, including a stipulation that it
      should be handled "as if it were a fragile piece of delicate art,"
      and that it not be placed in "offensive areas such as the floor,
      near the toilet or sink, near the feet or dirty/wet areas."

      *****

      Sinister Forces - A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft, Book
      One: The Nine
      5/23/2005
      RoadsEnd@...
      To: CTRL@...

      -Caveat Lector- www.sinisterforces.info

      Author Blog - Peter Levenda
      http://sinisterforces.info/blog/index.php

      Greetings!
      Welcome to the Sinister Forces website and blog!

      You have before you an invitation to investigate some of the deepest
      layers of history, politics, religion ... and the strange glue of
      synchronicity that binds them all together. We will look at
      contemporary politics and culture to find the hidden links that
      connect current events to ancient, sinister, forces.

      Like the book -- Sinister Forces -- this is not a foray into
      speculative history. Rather, it is based on a review of primary
      sources (declassified government documents, autobiographies, etc).
      Neither is this your standard conspiracy theory blog. We believe
      there is a third perspective available to us, one that is neither
      conspiracy theory nor mainstream history but a way of looking at the
      events that shape our lives and our conscious reality that owes more
      to cutting-edge physics than it does to classical physics, and to
      the technologies of consciousness than it does to classical
      psychology and religion.

      We believe that the observer affects the event being observed,
      whether the event is the smashing of an atom or the election of a
      president. We wonder if perhaps both the conspiracy theorist and the
      skeptic may be right.

      Was the JFK assassination a particle, or a wave?

      --

      This is going to be a very important year in the history of our
      country, and of the world. Events are taking place that were set in

      And in the prisons of Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib, we are still
      experimenting with the techniques developed by the G-scale doctors
      of Operations BLUEBIRD, ARTICHOKE, and MK-ULTRA.

      The talk-show pundits are used to talking about current events as if
      they are only ... well, current. There is no context, no historical
      framework, for understanding these events in any kind of
      perspective. We don't understand -- have not even begun to
      contemplate -- that what is going on today around us has its
      spiritual and psychological components and implications. That is the
      mistake made by those who experimented upon the human mind in the
      1950s and 1960s in the name of the Cold War and in fear of the
      practice that has come to be known as "brainwashing". The New Age
      gurus and the conspiracy theorists are not talking to each other.
      Maybe they should.

      In the summer of 1963, a famous New Age teacher and philosopher
      hosted a young woman at his estate outside Philadelphia during a
      vacation visit. She had some house guests at her home in Dallas who
      would later that year become notorious for their roles in the
      assassination of a president. This connection -- and all that it
      implies -- has never before been made public. Not until the
      publication of "Sinister Forces", that is.

      That same New Age teacher and philospher had, ten years earlier,
      attended a seance in Maine in company with several members of
      America's wealthiest families. The man running that seance would
      later become famous as a paranormal investigator ... for the US
      government.

      A man who claimed to be a bishop in an Eastern Orthodox church would
      later be implicated -- rightly or wrongly -- in the JFK
      assassination. Another man, who claimed to be a bishop in an Old
      Catholic denomination, would later be implicated in the RFK
      assassination.

      Still another man, who claimed to be a priest in an Eastern Orthodox
      denomination, would be implicated in the Iran-Contra scandal.

      Religion, mysticism, the occult ... and politics. And history. As we
      struggle with the relationship between church and state in the
      United States, do we really understand what is really at stake? As
      we try to find a way to accomodate religious and moral issues in our
      political discourse, even as we turn away from the scenes of torture
      and murder that make up the fabric of our news programs and talk
      shows, we are confronted with the casualties of another war that may
      be taking place below our event horizon, just out of sight of our
      most advanced technologies and yet with an unholy resonance in our
      own government, our own churches, and right into our own living
      rooms.

      Sinister forces. And that's just Book One.

      Welcome to another, perhaps more frightening but certainly more
      illuminating, look at our world and the stakes we are playing for.
      Welcome to the Inner Circle of THE NINE.

      Peter Levenda
      5/23/05

      Author of Unholy Alliance - A Hstory of the Nazis and the Occult and
      Sinister Forces - A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft a
      three-volume shocking alternative to the conventional views of
      American history.

      The roots of coincidence and conspiracy in American politics, crime,
      and culture are examined in this book, exposing new connections
      between religion, political conspiracy, and occultism. Readers are
      taken from ancient American civilization and the mysterious mound
      builder culture to the Salem witch trials, the birth of Mormonism
      during a ritual of ceremonial magic by Joseph Smith, Jr., and
      Operations Paperclip and Bluebird. Not a work of speculative
      history, this exposé is founded on primary source material and
      historical documents. Fascinating details are revealed, including
      the bizarre world of "wandering bishops" who appear throughout the
      Kennedy assassinations; a CIA mind control program run amok in the
      United States and Canada; a famous American spiritual leader who had
      ties to Lee Harvey Oswald in the weeks and months leading up to the
      assassination of President Kennedy; and the "Manson secret."

      www.sinisterforces.info

      *****

      Bush May Give Pentagon OK To Weaponize Space
      By Ryan Jones
      Earthtimes.org
      5-20-5

      The new space policy in the United States might see President George
      W Bush allow the Pentagon greater authority to deploy space-based
      weapons, media reports have quoted sources in administration and
      defence experts as saying. According to reports, the new policy,
      being jointly drafted by the Defence Department, the National
      Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and others, might see
      the proliferation of offensive weapons in space.

      Issued by former US president Bill Clinton in 1996, the policy first
      aimed at using satellites for defensive purposes like keeping an eye
      on disarmament pacts and environmental cleanups. But security
      officials showed concerns about the chances of military and global
      communications satellites being attacked by enemy nations and said
      that with more nations launching satellites, the development of
      space weapons might not be far behind.

      But industry watchers have warned such a move by United States might
      actually result in an arms race with China, Russia, and other
      countries. According to sources, the US already possesses the
      blueprints for space-based weapon systems and if such a policy comes
      through, the creation of such weapons might take as little as 18
      months. Space weapons include small satellites attacking other
      satellites, and laser and radio waves weapons as also small planes
      that drop destructive material on ground targets.

      "It certainly has the potential to be a significant moment if the US
      embraces a policy that advocates space weapons. That contributes to
      other states being interested," warned said Karl Mueller, a defence
      policy analyst at Rand Corp, a firm handling research for the
      government.

      His contentions are echoed by Theresa Hitchens, president, Center
      for Defense Information. "I fear it is going to change the direction
      of US space policy that has been steady since Eisenhower was
      president. Up to now, this has been a campaign by the Air Force to
      have the freedom to do what they want to do in space. This will, for
      the first time in US history, give them the go-ahead," she said,
      adding, "Let's think of a world where US has 'death stars'
      everywhere in space that are going over countries every 10 minutes.
      Do you think other countries are going to accept that?"

      However, the White House has denied trying to 'weaponize
      space'. "Let me make that clear right off the top, because you asked
      about the weaponization of space, and the policy that we're talking
      about is not looking at weaponizing space," said Scott McClellan,
      President Bush's media secretary.

      However, he added, "Certainly during the last eight or nine years,
      there have been a number of domestic and international developments
      that have changed the threats and challenges facing our space
      capabilities. There are countries that have taken an interest in
      space. They have looked at technologies that could threaten our
      space systems and so you obviously need to take that into account
      when you,re updating the policy." McClellan said that the US
      believed in 'the peaceful exploration of space'.

      *****

      LATimes.com

      STYLE & CULTURE
      Bulworth takes on the Terminator
      Warren Beatty enters, stage left, and breaks Hollywood's silence
      against the governor.
      By Rachel Abramowitz
      Times Staff Writer

      May 25, 2005

      "I see nothing wrong with Maria [Shriver] becoming a Republican. I'd
      say many of my best friends are Republicans," says Warren Beatty,
      Oscar-winning actor-director and liberal citizen-activist. Over the
      phone, his legendary voice purrs. He knows exactly what he's saying,
      and although his tone is wry, he's not really joking.

      Though Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's poll numbers have been dropping
      thanks to advertising campaigns by teachers and nurses, Hollywood,
      usually a hotbed of liberal activism, has so far remained mum about
      this former denizen.

      In the last few months, Beatty, the star of and force behind such
      seminal films as "Shampoo" and "Bonnie and Clyde," has become the
      first big name to break the entertainment community's unofficial
      speak-no-evil toward Schwarzenegger and his wife, Shriver.

      Over the weekend, Beatty, 68, gave his first commencement speech
      ever to the graduating class of UC Berkeley's Goldman School of
      Public Policy, and used the occasion to humorously but witheringly
      attack Schwarzenegger — much like the candid candidate Jay
      Billington Bulworth from his 1998 political satire. He derided the
      governor for "his reactionary right-wing agenda," "his bullying of
      labor and the little guy," his plan to spend money on a "totally
      unnecessary special election" and his refusal to raise taxes on the
      rich. Beatty asked Schwarzenegger to "cut down the photo ops, the
      fake events, the fake issues, the fake crowds … the scapegoats,
      the 'language problems,' the broken promises, the 'Minutemen,' the
      prevarications and put some sunlight on some taxes.

      "It's become time to define a Schwarzenegger Republican — a
      Schwarzenegger Republican is a Bush Republican who says he's a
      Schwarzenegger Republican," Beatty said. "Can't we accept that
      devotion to the building of the body politic is more complex and a
      little more sensitive than devotion to body-building?

      "Does that make me a 'girlie-man'?" asked one of the 20th century's
      most famous Lotharios.

      Beatty, a political veteran who's worked for every Democratic
      presidential candidate since Robert Kennedy in 1968, dismissed
      Schwarzenegger's claims of uniting both sides of the political
      aisle. "By bipartisanship, do you mean the Kennedy family?" he said
      to the Berkeley crowd. "Governor — I knew Jack Kennedy.

      "Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Governor, you're no Kennedy
      Democrat."

      Within hours, Beatty, a blue-chip Hollywood figure famous for 46
      years, was swatted down by the Schwarzenegger team. The governor's
      communication director, Robert Stutzman, dismissed him as
      a "crackpot."

      "I don't think that that's the most intelligent response for Arnold
      to have his people give," Beatty muses a couple of days later,
      though he seems jazzed by his return to the public policy
      limelight. "I guess I needed to say some of those things."

      A spokesman for Shriver declined to comment about Beatty's recent
      remarks, and Schwarzenegger spokesman Vince Sollitto said, "His
      comments don't merit any more of a response than we provided before.
      We didn't believe that they're personal in nature." He added a
      refrain that the governor's office has tried to inject into the
      debate: "Warren's just mad at Republicans because he's afraid
      they're going to cut off his Social Security."

      Beatty advised the Kerry campaign during the last election, but
      stayed in the background because, he says, "I felt that the
      Republican campaign was too successfully demonizing the
      entertainment community. To be more publicly visible in that
      campaign could do as much harm as it would help." Of course, the
      stakes change when it's all-Hollywood mano a mano.

      "In California, it's much more difficult to demonize the
      entertainment community when the governor is an entertainer. If I'm
      leading the way on that, that's good," Beatty says. Indeed, this is
      the second anti-Schwarzenegger speech that Beatty has delivered in
      the last few months, and he's not ruling out more.

      In Hollywood, Beatty's "the only one out there," says Andrew Spahn,
      a DreamWorks executive active in Democratic politics. "He's been out
      front on this and helped to give voice to some disorganized
      feeling."

      Martin Kaplan, associate dean of the USC Annenberg School for
      Communication, notes, "Schwarzenegger has such a long personal
      history with so many players here. On balance, they'd rather be
      quiet than express publicly their views that they disagree with him.
      He's a very congenial companion so it's tougher to criticize someone
      that you have a relationship with than a politician you might not
      know. It's axiomatic that Hollywood is a relationship town."

      However, he adds: "What [Beatty's] saying is something that people
      have been saying in private. He has nothing to lose. In same ways,
      he has at least the same kind of standing in this creative community
      that the governor does."

      Before Schwarzenegger's political ascension, he was regarded as a
      waning action star, long on chutzpah and marketing might. Beatty's
      recent films might not have attracted the legions of teenage boys,
      but inside the community, he is still viewed as a brilliant A-list
      talent, part of the permanent aristocracy. Of course, power does
      change everything. At the Golden Globes this year, Schwarzenegger
      was the only person whose arrival in a room full of celebrities
      caused rubbernecking.

      Still, as it's been for decades, whenever Beatty talks, the media
      wonder if he's planning to run for public office. During his speech,
      Beatty said that Schwarzenegger "knows I'm a private citizen just as
      he was a year ago, I'm an opponent of his muscle-bound conservatism
      with a longer experience in politics than he has and, although I
      don't want to run for governor, I'd do one helluva lot better job
      than he's done." A couple of days later, Beatty demurs and seems
      keen on simply being a "truth teller," although he does say, "One
      never knows at what point one becomes sufficiently inflamed to take
      a step that one does not basically want to take."

      One unusual feature of Beatty's address was his reference to his own
      relatively modest background. "I grew up a nice Southern Baptist boy
      in Virginia. My parents and grandparents were teachers," he told the
      graduating class. It seemed a pointed reference to Schwarzenegger's
      frequent use of his rags-to-riches story as part of his campaign
      sell. Beatty explains that he was trying to make the point that "the
      usurpation by the rabid right wing of the message of the church on a
      national or state level shouldn't be permitted. As a Democrat, I
      feel that the basic tenets of the Christian church that I grew up in
      are 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you' and 'Love
      one another.' I simply believe that the philosophy of the Democratic
      Party is closer to those Christian principles than what has become
      the principles of what I would call the Republican activist base."