Ground Control to Mr. Bush

  • STRIDER
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2005
      Ground Control to Mr. Bush
      http://www.truthout.org/docs_05/012205V.shtml
      By Bernie Sanders
      In These Times

      Thursday 20 January 2005

      The time for playing nice with corporate outsourcers and their enablers in
      government is over.

      "There's a trade deficit. That's easy to resolve: People can buy more
      United States products if they’Äôre worried about the trade deficit."
      - George W. Bush, December 15, 2004

      Reminiscent of the callous "Let them eat cake" reputedly uttered by Marie
      Antoinette on her way to the guillotine, President Bush’Äôs remarks show
      how out of touch he is with the economic reality most Americans face.
      Apparently, the president hasn't visited a shopping mall or Wal-Mart
      lately. If he had, like the millions of Americans who flocked to our
      nation’Äôs stores this holiday season to buy toys, bicycles, computers,
      sneakers, clothes, telephones, cowboy boots (yes, Mr. President, cowboy
      boots!), even artificial Christmas trees and decorations, he would surely
      know that an overwhelming majority of these products were made overseas,
      mostly in China.

      Mr. President, did you buy an Xbox for your teenage relative this holiday
      season? If you tried purchasing one that was made in the United States,
      you’Äôre out of luck. According to Flextronics CEO Michael Marks, "We moved
      all of the production of Microsoft’Äôs Xbox consoles from Mexico to China."

      Did Mrs. Bush buy you a pair of Ariat cowboy boots for Christmas? Well,
      guess what, Mr. President? Every last one: made in China.

      As everyone knows from your accident last summer, you are an avid bicycler.
      How about a sturdy mountain bike for Christmas? Oops, 85 percent of our
      bicycles are made in China.

      As our commander in chief, you might be thinking about picking up some more
      rare-earth magnets for our military’Äôs smart bombs and cruise missiles.
      Well, guess what? Eighty percent of those magnets are made in China.

      How about an American flag? Since 9/11, more than 10 million American flags
      were made in China.

      Levi's Jeans? Sorry, they aren’Äôt made in the United States anymore
      either. Did your staff purchase Christmas decorations for the White House
      this year? Approximately 80 percent of these decorations are now made in
      China. (By the way, did you read about the so-called Christian "dissident"
      who was placed under house arrest in China because he wanted to have a
      party with his friends to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ?)

      Mr. President, you may want to do your holiday shopping next year with
      former General Motors CEO Jack Smith. At least, he sounds like he’Äôs been
      out in the real world lately. "Walk around Wal-Mart," Mr. Smith says, "and
      it looks as if everything is made in China." And he should know about
      Chinese imports. After all, General Motors is laying the groundwork for
      moving the U.S. auto industry abroad by purchasing $4 billion in auto parts
      from China by 2009, up from $200 million last year.

      While the stark reality of America's industrial might moving abroad may
      have escaped the president and his economic advisers, a growing number of
      members of Congress see with their own eyes the devastating effect that the
      president’Äôs trade policy is having on manufacturing jobs in their own
      districts. It’Äôs high time that Congress brought the president down to
      earth, and made him understand that our current unfettered free trade
      policies have been a disaster for the working families of this country -
      and need a fundamental overhaul.

      Today, the middle class in our country is shrinking, poverty is increasing,
      and the gap between the rich and the poor is growing wider. This year, the
      United States will have a record-breaking trade deficit of almost $600
      billion, including an estimated $140 billion trade deficit with China. Over
      the last four year we have lost 2.7 million decent-paying manufacturing
      jobs - more than 16 percent of that sector. Many of those jobs have gone to
      China, a totalitarian society where workers are paid pennies an hour and
      have minimal rights. Meanwhile, most of the new jobs being created here are
      low wage with minimal benefits.

      Amazingly, while the U.S. middle class declines, corporate America is
      helping make China the economic superpower of the 21st century. Not only is
      China rapidly becoming the manufacturing center of the world, it is quickly
      becoming the information technology hub as well. Andy Grove, the founder of
      Intel, predicted last year that the United States will lose the bulk of its
      information technology jobs to China and India over the next decade. These
      are some of the best-paying jobs available.

      And John Chambers, the CEO of Cisco, is typical of many corporate leaders
      when he said: "China will become the IT center of the world, and we can
      have a healthy discussion about whether that's in 2020 or 2040. What we're
      trying to do is outline an entire strategy of becoming a Chinese company."

      The time for playing nice with corporate outsourcers and their enablers in
      government is over. Congress must repeal Permanent Normal Trade Relations
      with China and develop trade policies that protect and create good-paying
      jobs in America. We must create a noise so loud that even the president
      hears it.

      Bernie Sanders represents Vermont as an at-large member of the House of
      Representatives, where he has served since 1991.

      -------

      Jump to today's TO Features: http://www.truthout.org

      (In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
      distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
      receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. t
      r u t h o u t has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this
      article nor is t r u t h o u t endorsed or sponsored by the originator.)

      put him in jail! the WORST president in US history

      IMPEACH!
      http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?keywords=impeach+bush

      Search /RENEGADE/ for articles that mention WAR -
      http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?keywords=war&increment=weeks&many=26
      [only articles for the last six months will be indexed]

      Search /RENEGADE/ for articles that mention TERRORISM-
      http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?keywords=terror&increment=weeks&many=26
      [only articles for the last six months will be indexed]

      Search /RENEGADE/ for articles that mention ENVIRONMENT -
      http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?keywords=ENVIRONMENT&increment=weeks&many=26
      [only articles for the last six months will be indexed]

      Search /RENEGADE/ for articles that mention globalization -
      http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?Globaliz

      Search /RENEGADE/ for articles that mention FTAA, WTO, IMF, or World Bank -
      http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?keywords=FTAA+WTO+IMF+WB&how=any

      Search /RENEGADE/ for articles that mention Protest -
      http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?keywords=PROTEST&increment=weeks&many=52
      [last 1 year only]

      /RENEGADE/ Search - GO TO: http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?
      and just type in your topic. For differing results you may uncheck
      "article" and search on just "subject," etc. /RENEGADE/ also has
      "time-frame" in the search, so you can tailor your results that way, too.
      --

      Peace!

      *STRIDER* Sector Air Raid Warden at /RENEGADE/

      Home: http://fornits.com/renegade/
      DEDICATED TO SPIRIT, TRUTH, PEACE, JUSTICE, AND FREEDOM

      Articles posted in the last 10 days:
      http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?search=Search&increment=days&many=10

      Blog: http://striders-renegade.blogspot.com/

      Bay_Area_Activist list ----
      Membership by invitation only - moderated / archives for members only
      Contact bay_area_activist-owner@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:bay_area_activist-owner@yahoogroups.com> to request
      membership.

      usenet: news:misc.activism.progressive
      e-mail: mailto:strider@...
      strider@...

      No War! No Nukes! Impeach!

      WHEN SPIDERS UNITE, THEY CAN TIE DOWN A LION -- Ethiopian Proverb