  • robalini@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004

      http://www.konformist.com/50reasons/50reasons.htm
      50 Reasons Not to Vote for Bush
      Order at Amazon at:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932595023/thekonformist

      Monday, September 20th, 2004
      Put Away Your Hankies... a message from Michael Moore

      9/20/04

      Dear Friends,

      Enough of the handwringing! Enough of the doomsaying! Do I have to
      come there and personally calm you down? Stop with all the defeatism,
      OK? Bush IS a goner -- IF we all just quit our whining and
      bellyaching and stop shaking like a bunch of nervous ninnies. Geez,
      this is embarrassing! The Republicans are laughing at us. Do you ever
      see them cry, "Oh, it's all over! We are finished! Bush can't win!
      Waaaaaa!"

      Hell no. It's never over for them until the last ballot is shredded.
      They are never finished -- they just keeping moving forward like
      sharks that never sleep, always pushing, pulling, kicking, blocking,
      lying.

      They are relentless and that is why we secretly admire them -- they
      just simply never, ever give up. Only 30% of the country calls
      itself "Republican," yet the Republicans own it all -- the White
      House, both houses of Congress, the Supreme Court and the majority of
      the governorships. How do you think they've been able to pull that
      off considering they are a minority? It's because they eat you and me
      and every other liberal for breakfast and then spend the rest of the
      day wreaking havoc on the planet.

      Look at us -- what a bunch of crybabies. Bush gets a bounce after his
      convention and you would have thought the Germans had run through
      Poland again. The Bushies are coming, the Bushies are coming! Yes,
      they caught Kerry asleep on the Swift Boat thing. Yes, they found the
      frequency in Dan Rather and ran with it. Suddenly it's like, "THE END
      IS NEAR! THE SKY IS FALLING!"

      No, it is not. If I hear one more person tell me how lousy a
      candidate Kerry is and how he can't win... Dammit, of COURSE he's a
      lousy candidate -- he's a Democrat, for heavens sake! That party is
      so pathetic, they even lose the elections they win! What were you
      expecting, Bruce Springsteen heading up the ticket? Bruce would make
      a helluva president, but guys like him don't run -- and neither do
      you or I. People like Kerry run.

      Yes, OF COURSE any of us would have run a better, smarter, kick-ass
      campaign. Of course we would have smacked each and every one of those
      phony swifty boaty bastards down. But WE are not running for
      president -- Kerry is. So quit complaining and work with what we
      have. Oprah just gave 300 women a... Pontiac! Did you see any of them
      frowning and moaning and screaming, "Oh God, NOT a friggin' Pontiac!"
      Of course not, they were happy. The Pontiacs all had four wheels, an
      engine and a gas pedal. You want more than that, well, I can't help
      you. I had a Pontiac once and it lasted a good year. And it was a
      VERY good year.

      My friends, it is time for a reality check.

      1. The polls are wrong. They are all over the map like diarrhea. On
      Friday, one poll had Bush 13 points ahead -- and another poll had
      them both tied. There are three reasons why the polls are b.s.: One,
      they are polling "likely voters." "Likely" means those who have
      consistently voted in the past few elections. So that cuts out young
      people who are voting for the first time and a ton of non-voters who
      are definitely going to vote in THIS election. Second, they are not
      polling people who use their cell phone as their primary phone.
      Again, that means they are not talking to young people. Finally, most
      of the polls are weighted with too many Republicans, as pollster John
      Zogby revealed last week. You are being snookered if you believe any
      of these polls.

      2. Kerry has brought in the Clinton A-team. Instead of shunning
      Clinton (as Gore did), Kerry has decided to not make that mistake.

      3. Traveling around the country, as I've been doing, I gotta tell ya,
      there is a hell of a lot of unrest out there. Much of it is not being
      captured by the mainstream press. But it is simmering and it is real.
      Do not let those well-produced Bush rallies of angry white people
      scare you. Turn off the TV! (Except Jon Stewart and Bill Moyers --
      everything else is just a sugar-coated lie).

      4. Conventional wisdom says if the election is decided on "9/11" (the
      fear of terrorism), Bush wins. But if it is decided on the job we are
      doing in Iraq, then Bush loses. And folks, that "job," you might have
      noticed, has descended into the third level of a hell we used to call
      Vietnam. There is no way out. It is a full-blown mess of a quagmire
      and the body bags will sadly only mount higher. Regardless of what
      Kerry meant by his original war vote, he ain't the one who sent those
      kids to their deaths -- and Mr. and Mrs. Middle America knows it. Had
      Bush bothered to show up when he was in the "service" he might have
      somewhat of a clue as to how to recognize an immoral war that cannot
      be "won." All he has delivered to Iraq was that plasticized turkey
      last Thanksgiving. It is this failure of monumental proportions that
      is going to cook his goose come this November.

      So, do not despair. All is not over. Far from it. The Bush people
      need you to believe that it is over. They need you to slump back into
      your easy chair and feel that sick pain in your gut as you
      contemplate another four years of George W. Bush. They need you to
      wish we had a candidate who didn't windsurf and who was just as smart
      as we were when WE knew Bush was lying about WMD and Saddam planning
      9/11. It's like Karl Rove is hypnotizing you -- "Kerry voted for the
      war...Kerry voted for the war...Kerrrrrryyy vooootted fooooor theeee
      warrrrrrrrrr..."

      Yes...Yes...Yesssss....He did! HE DID! No sense in fighting
      now...what I need is sleep...sleeep...sleeeeeeppppp...

      WAKE UP! The majority are with us! More than half of all Americans
      are pro-choice, want stronger environmental laws, are appalled that
      assault weapons are back on the street -- and 54% now believe the war
      is wrong. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO CONVINCE THEM OF ANY OF THIS -- YOU
      JUST HAVE TO GIVE THEM A RAY OF HOPE AND A RIDE TO THE POLLS. CAN YOU
      DO THAT? WILL YOU DO THAT?

      Just for me, please? Buck up. The country is almost back in our
      hands. Not another negative word until Nov. 3rd! Then you can bitch
      all you want about how you wish Kerry was still that long-haired kid
      who once had the courage to stand up for something. Personally, I
      think that kid is still inside him. Instead of the wailing and
      gnashing of your teeth, why not hold out a hand to him and help the
      inner soldier/protester come out and defeat the forces of evil we now
      so desperately face. Do we have any other choice?

      Yours,

      Michael Moore
      www.michaelmoore.com
      mmflint@...

      *****

      Uncommon Sense
      Conspiracy and other theories
      By Michael Hasty
      Online Journal Columnist

      September 24, 2004 - In his eyewitness account of "The Rise and Fall
      of the Third Reich," author William Shirer, who lived in Nazi Germany
      throughout most of the 1930s, described a phenomenon that will, in
      2004, seem disturbingly familiar to Americans who dissent from the
      policies of the Bush regime.

      "I myself was to experience how easily one is taken in by a lying and
      censored press and radio in a totalitarian state," Shirer
      wrote. "Though unlike most Germans I had daily access to foreign
      newspapers . . . and though I listened regularly to the BBC and other
      foreign broadcasts, my job necessitated the spending of many hours a
      day in combing the German press, checking the German radio,
      conferring with Nazi officials and going to party meetings. It was
      surprising and sometimes consternating to find that notwithstanding
      the opportunities I had to learn the facts and despite one's inherent
      distrust of what one learned from Nazi sources, a steady diet over
      the years of falsifications and distortions made a certain impression
      on one's mind and often misled it."

      Shirer then recounted how, in conversations with his German friends
      and strangers he would meet in cafes and beer halls, "I would meet
      with the most outlandish assertions from seemingly educated and
      intelligent persons. It was obvious they were parroting some piece of
      nonsense they had heard on the radio or read in the newspapers.

      "Sometimes one was tempted to say as much, but on such occasions one
      was met with such a stare of incredulity, such a shock of silence, as
      if one had blasphemed the Almighty, that one realized how useless it
      was even to try to make contact with a mind which had become warped
      and for whom the facts of life had become what Hitler and Goebbels,
      with their cynical disregard for truth, said they were."

      I will never forget the shock of recognition I felt when I first read
      those words several years ago, nor my first thought when I looked up
      from the page: "This happens to me all the time." It wouldn't be
      surprising if many of you reading this now have just had the same
      thought.

      This would be particularly true for those among you whom the American
      media, with increasing frequency, describe as "conspiracy theorists:"
      those who suspect that the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have more to
      do with oil than with any humanitarian or security motives; or those
      who question the omissions in the 9/11 Commission's report, and think
      that the 9/11 tragedy had more to do with the Bush/Saudi connection
      and neoconservative imperial ambitions than with America being "hated
      for its freedom"; or those who believe that American media are the
      finely-tuned propaganda organs of the military-industrial complex
      which, rather than failing their journalistic responsibilities, are
      doing an excellent job of keeping the American public confused and
      uninformed; or even the overwhelming majority of Americans who
      subscribe to the event that made the term "conspiracy theory"
      mainstream: that the CIA was directly involved in the assassination
      of JFK.

      Among that last group, it is exceedingly rare for members of what
      used to be called "the establishment" to go public with their private
      suspicions about what happened in Dallas in November 1963. So it took
      a real act of courage for David Talbot, editor and publisher of the
      quasi-respectable website Salon.com, to stick his neck out recently
      by expressing his own doubts about the legitimacy of the official
      report of the Warren Commission.

      The most valuable contribution Talbot makes in his lengthy
      article, "The mother of all coverups," published last week at Salon,
      is compiling from various sources a list of public figures who also
      had suspicions about the JFK assassination - a list that includes
      Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Dan Rather, Gary Hart, Richard Russell
      (a member of the Warren Commission himself), Nikita Krushchev,
      Charles DeGaulle, the House Select Committee on Assassinations (which
      produced the only other official report on JFK's death, concluding
      that it was "probably" the result of a conspiracy), and Jackie and
      Bobby Kennedy.

      In fact, it is reasonable to speculate that Bobby Kennedy's
      indications to his closest associates that, should he become
      president, he intended to reopen the investigation into his brother's
      death, may explain his own suspicious murder.

      Because it reinforces some questions I've raised in previous articles
      for Online Journal ("Paranoid shift" and "Secret admirers: the Bushes
      and the Washington Post") it's also worthwhile to reproduce in full
      one of Talbot's paragraphs, about another public figure who has been
      connected to the string of events beginning with the Bay of Pigs
      operation and ending in Dallas:

      "Among those in Washington who were particularly curious about the
      revelations concerning the CIA and the Kennedy assassination was
      George H.W. Bush. As Kitty Kelley observes in her new book about the
      Bush family, while serving as CIA director in the Ford
      administration, Bush fired off a series of memos in fall 1976, asking
      subordinates various questions about Oswald, Ruby, Helms and other
      figures tied to the assassination. 'Years later, when [Bush] became
      president of the United States, he would deny making any attempt to
      review the agency files on the JFK assassination,' writes Kelley in
      The Family: The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty. 'When he made this
      claim, he did not realize that the agency would release 18 documents
      (under the Freedom of Information Act) that showed he had indeed, as
      CIA director, requested information - not once, but several times -
      on a wide range of questions surrounding the Kennedy assassination.'"

      The dark thread of secret agendas and unspeakable acts that runs like
      a subterranean stream through the last half-century of American
      history - and which has turned into a river under this most secretive
      of presidential administrations - would not have been possible
      without the outright cooperation of the media. Despite the majority
      opinion that the Warren Report was a "whitewash," Talbot correctly
      notes that "there is one sanctuary where the Warren Report is still
      stubbornly upheld and where its manifold critics can expect their own
      rough treatment: in the towers of the media elite."

      What is true of the media's treatment of Warren Commission critics
      can be equally applied to anyone who questions what is sometimes
      called the media's "metanarrative" - the official media version of
      events. Usually this is accomplished by what Catholic theologians
      call "the sin of omission." So, for example, the startling and
      uncomfortable fact that a Zogby poll found that half of New York City
      residents believe that the US government either had foreknowledge of,
      or was complicit in, the 9/11 attacks has been quickly stuffed into
      the media's "memory hole." The revelations of FBI whistleblower Sibel
      Edmonds about the 9/11 drug connection, and of Senator Bob Graham
      about the connections between the 9/11 hijackers and the Saudi
      government, have received similar treatment.

      But the great irony in the media's rejection of "conspiracy theory"
      is that the metanarrative requires mainstream news consumers to
      subscribe to a far less credible "coincidence theory."

      By this theory, it is nothing more than "coincidence" that the
      membership of a neoconservative think tank, whose ambitions for a
      global American empire depend on public opinion being swayed by "a
      new Pearl Harbor," stole their way into power and occupy key
      positions in the Bush regime. It is merely a "coincidence" that
      unnamed persons cashed in big time in trading United and American
      Airlines stocks in the week before 9/11. It's entirely "coincidental"
      that the FBI supervisor who blocked the investigation of Zacarias
      Moussaoui's computer, containing information about the hijacker's
      9/11 plans, got a $25,000 bonus.

      In the media's metanarrative, the incontestable facts that Persian
      Gulf oil has been central to American strategic planning since World
      War II, and that Dick Cheney's secret energy task force generated
      maps of Iraq's oil fields in early 2001, have absolutely nothing to
      do with the invasion of Iraq. It's just a serendipitous "coincidence."

      And the statement by the late CIA director William Colby that the CIA
      controls "everyone of major significance in the major media" is just
      the incoherent rambling of a guilt-burdened covert operative with too
      much blood on his hands. If that statement offers a better
      explanation of a long, consistent pattern of journalistic failings
      than the idea that reporters are the victims of the
      government's "Jedi Mind Tricks" - well, it's only a "coincidence."

      Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's propaganda minister, once said, "Give me
      control of the German media, and I can control the German people." It
      is our generation's misfortune that Goebbels' ideological descendants
      are now in the White House. It is our generation's responsibility to
      remove them.

      Email: michaelhasty@....

      *****

      Brian Redman <bigred@...>

      First Amendment Suspended?

      (Conspiracy Nation, 9/14/04) -- Congress shall make no law respecting
      an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise
      thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or of
      the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the
      Government for a redress of grievances.

      This means, within reason, that Conspiracy Nation has a right to
      express dissent -- unless the First Amendment to the U.S.
      Constitution has been suspended and martial law has been declared, in
      which case "someone" forgot to notify Conspiracy Nation.

      Several months ago, after this editor published "The Hidden Power
      of 'Ma' Bush" (www.shout.net/~bigred/Babs.htm), a phone call came
      through at about 4 a.m. from an unidentified caller. The unidentified
      caller, upset about the "Ma Bush" article, questioned this editor's
      patriotism. "I can't believe you're an American," he said.

      Noteworthy in this respect is new information coming from
      controversial author Kitty Kelley. In an interview by Salon.com
      ("Don't Mess With The Bushes," also published online by the London
      Guardian, 9/14/04), introductory material states as follows: "But it
      is his wife, Barbara (whom the ex-wife of White House counsel C.
      Boyden Gray calls "bull-dyke tough"), and their eldest son, George,
      who are the true pieces of work in Kelley's book, a mother and son
      team brimming with such spite and ambition they would give the
      ruthless duo in The Manchurian Candidate the shivers."

      Minor psychological annoyance operations have been launched against
      the Conspiracy Nation editor since the event of the creepy early
      morning phone caller questioning my patriotism. The phone rings once,
      then stops. The phone rings three times, then stops. The phone is
      answered, and a silent ghost is at the other end of the line.

      On Sunday, 9/12/04, following publication the previous day of "The
      New Pearl Harbor" (www.shout.net/~bigred/PHarbor.htm) by Conspiracy
      Nation, some force, again "lurking in the shadows" as in previous
      preferred means, pulled some strings. Somehow, the local police
      department received information that a wanted person was residing at
      this editor's address. The local police handled the situation
      professionally, and were courteous. Nonetheless, the police were
      clearly in a state of heightened alert when they knocked on my door.
      One of the duo stood back-up, out of the immediate range of vision.
      After it was resolved that the wanted person, unknown to this editor
      and not residing nor never residing at this address, was not present
      and had never been present during the several years of this editor's
      residency, the two local police officers wished me well and went on
      their way.

      The local police are not at fault in what happened. "Someone" gave
      them wrong information to send this editor a message: "Conspiracy
      Nation, shut up."

      Who is behind these psychological annoyance techniques? It's not
      necessarily George W. Bush and/or the Republican Party. Many
      extremist so-called "Christians" are out there who seemingly are
      unfamiliar with the New Testament preachings of Jesus Christ in his
      Sermon on the Mount. To them there is "one way" only, and other
      religious perspectives must convert or be damned. They wish to
      establish a Theocracy here in the United States (contrary to the
      First Amendment). Worth wondering is, to what does George W. Bush
      give his primary allegiance: to the U.S. Constitution or to the "one
      true God?"
      -------
      Conspiracy Nation.
      http://www.shout.net/~bigred/cn.html

      *****

      32 Felony Indictments Returned in DeLay Case
      By Jay Root and John Moritz
      Star-Telegram Austin Bureau

      Tuesday 21 September 2004

      AUSTIN - A Travis County grand jury returned 32 indictments in
      the 2002 Republican fund-raising investigation Tuesday, alleging
      felony election code violations against a top aide to U.S. House
      Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Sugar Land, the head of a political
      group DeLay founded and eight corporations that provided money for
      their activities.

      Among the companies indicted on grounds that corporate money was
      illegally funneled into the 2002 legislative elections were Sears and
      Roebuck, Westar Energy Inc., Cracker Barrel Old Country Store and
      Bacardi USA.

      Three people were indicted: John Colyandro, former executive
      director of Texans for a Republican Majority, a group DeLay founded;
      Warren RoBold, a DeLay fund-raiser; and Jim Ellis, a top DeLay
      political aide.

      An attorney for DeLay, Steve Brittain, said the congressman was
      cooperating fully with the investigation spearheaded by Travis County
      District Attorney Ronnie Earle. But Brittain raised questions about
      the timing of the indictments, issued just a few weeks before the
      2004 elections. "All of these people felt very comfortable that they
      were not violating the law, that they were following the rules as
      they understood them," Brittain said. "On behalf of Congressman
      DeLay, we agree, we don't believe that anyone intentionally violated
      the law."

      Earle, a Democrat, said the indictments stem from a 22-month
      investigation his office made into Republican fund raising on behalf
      of Texas House candidates during the 2002 election cycle. He said the
      investigation will continue after the present grand jury's term
      expires on Sept. 30.

      "Texas law makes it a felony to both give and receive political
      contributions from corporations and labor unions," Earle said during
      an afternoon news conference. "In the fall of 2002, after the Texas
      Association of Business boasted that it had engaged in the wholesale
      flaunting of that law, this office began its investigation."

      It was not immediately clear whether Earle intends to seek
      additional indictments, but he did say that more work remains to be
      done.

      Republicans have suggested that Earle's investigation was
      politically motivated, and at one point GOP Gov. Rick Perry suggested
      that the district attorney was on a "witch hunt."

      But speaking with reporters before the indictments were unveiled,
      Perry said that he, like most Texans, supports "the grand jury
      system."

      *****

      Filmmaker Russ Meyer dies aged 82
      Wed Sep 22, 2004

      LOS ANGELES (AFP) - US adult film pioneer Russ Meyer, who earned the
      sobriquet "king of the nudies" or "King Leer" and went on to be
      acclaimed as a cult movie maker, has died at the age of 82.

      Meyer was best known for soft-core pornography classics as "Faster,
      Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" and "Vixen," but also directed the major
      Hollywood release "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls."

      A spokeswoman for Meyer's production company, RM Films International
      Inc, said the filmmaker died in Los Angeles of complications of
      pneumonia after suffering from dementia for some time.

      A former World War II combat newsreel cameraman who went on to become
      a photographer for early Playboy centrefolds, Meyer was a one-man
      studio who produced, directed, wrote, edited and photographed most of
      his 26 movies.

      While his films featured little hard-core sex, they were peppered
      with Meyer's signatures of voluptuous female stars and violence and
      earned him a reputation as a trend-setter in the nascent adult
      industry.

      He made his mark with his first feature film, "The Immoral Mr. Teas,"
      a nudist comedy made in 1959 that cost just 24,000 dollars to produce
      but took more than one million dollars on the arthouse film circuit
      over the years, earning Meyer his title of "king of the nudies."

      The filmmaker confirmed his reputation with a string of low-budget
      black and white movies that culminated in his trademark
      work, "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!," the 1965 tale of a group of
      murderous go-go dancers.

      Modern filmmakers Quentin Tarantino and John Waters have said Meyer's
      work inspired their unique styles.

      At the peak of his sub-culture success, Hollywood's Twentieth Century
      Fox studio signed him to make a forgettable sequel to its 1968
      classic "Valley of the Dolls," "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" which
      was released in 1970.

      In later years he made "Supervixens" (1976) and "Beneath the Valley
      of the Ultravixens" (1979)" and in 1992 he published a three-volume
      autobiography, "A Clean Breast: The Life and Loves of Russ Meyer."