SOA Watch Update

  • STRIDER
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2004
      SOA Watch
      info@...
      Fri, 23 Jan 2004

      SOA TRIAL - Activists Prepare for Monday Court Appearance
      ACTION - Spring Mobilization in DC (March 27-30, 2004)
      VENEZUELA - Father Roy Bourgeois meets with Hugo Chavez
      ELECTIONS - Presidential Candidates on the SOA/WHISC
      JOB OPENING - SOA Watch Communications Coordinator
      _______________________
      SOA TRIAL
      On Monday, January 26th the federal trial for the 28 human rights activists
      facing federal charges for civil disobedience begins in Columbus, Georgia.
      The 28 were among 10,000 who gathered in November to call for a closure of
      the SOA, renamed in 2001 the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security
      Cooperation. The defendants peacefully crossed onto Fort Benning property,
      site of the school. They are charged with trespass and face up to six months
      in federal prison and $5,000 in fines.

      Names of those arrested: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=i7#CD
      Press Release: http://www.soaw.org/new/pressrelease.php?id=b
      Support the Defendants: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=9
      _______________________
      ACTION
      Make plans to come to Washington, DC from March 27-30, 2004 for the SOA
      Watch Spring 2004 Mobilization. The convergence will include legislative
      action, strategic action trainings, street theatre, social time and
      educational events. Please write to your respective Members of Congress and
      set up a meeting for March 30th (or March 29th) in DC. A vote on the School
      of the Americas/ Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation is
      coming up in the U.S. Congress in the summer of 2004! It is our job to make
      sure that enough Representatives will be on board to vote against the
      school. Hold your Representative accountable!

      For more information visit: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=q3
      _______________________
      VENEZUELA
      President Hugo Chávez to Reconsider Training of Soldiers at the SOA/WHISC:
      In a move that illustrates the growing divide between Latin American nations
      and the US, Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez announced on Monday that he is
      going to reconsider sending Venezuelan soldiers to the School of the
      Americas (SOA/WHISC). Chávez stated: "This school [the SOA/WHISC] deformed
      the minds of many Latin American soldiers, who from there went on to become
      dictators."

      Read the Press Release on Fr. Roy Bourgeois' meeting with President Chavez:
      http://www.soaw.org/new/pressrelease.php?id=c
      _______________________
      ELECTIONS
      The School of the Americas (SOA/WHISC) has become an election issue in the
      Democratic primaries. At almost every campaign stop, Gen. Clark is facing
      critical questions concerning his connection to the SOA and his continued
      unpopular support of the school. Major news outlets like the Boston Globe,
      New York Times, Chicago Tribune, The Village Voice, CNN and others are
      picking up the story because of the questions that were raised during the
      campaign events.
      SOA Watch has requested statements on the SOA from every major presidential
      candidate. Dennis Kucinich has repeatedly announced that, if elected, one of
      his first actions as president would be to immediately close the school.
      While we have not received statements from the senators running, the voting
      record is as follows: Senator John Kerry was a co-sponsor of the Senate
      bills to close the SOA, Senator Joe Lieberman has never co-sponsored
      legislation, and since Senator John Edwards took office, there has not been
      a Senate bill.

      General Clark, the SOA, and U.S. Values:
      http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=r1
      Letter sent to candidates: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=q0
      Information on bird-dogging: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=p9
      _______________________
      JOB OPENING
      School of the Americas Watch seeks to hire a Communications Coordinator to
      be based in Washington, DC for a minimum 2-year commitment. Bilingual
      candidates a plus; women and people of color are strongly encouraged to
      apply.

      Read the full job description here:
      http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=p6
      For more information about the School of the Americas and SOA Watch,
      see: http://www.soaw.org/
      or send email to info@...
      HUMAN RIGHTS NOW! CLOSE THE SCHOOL OF ASSASSINS !!!!!
      --

      No War !!! No Nukes !!! Impeach !!!
      http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?keywords==impeach

      Peace!

      *STRIDER* Sector Air Raid Warden at /RENEGADE/

      http://fornits.com/renegade/
      DEDICATED TO SPIRIT, TRUTH, PEACE, JUSTICE, AND FREEDOM

      Articles posted in the last 10 days:
      http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?search==Search&increment=Úys&many=

      usenet: news:misc.activism.progressive
      e-mail: mailto:strider@...
      strider@...

      WHEN SPIDERS UNITE, THEY CAN TIE DOWN A LION -- Ethiopian Proverb
    • STRIDER
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2004
        SOA Watch
        info@...

        SOA Watch Update 03/18/2004

        1) Green and Gray Daydreams at Fort Benning
        - Article by Alice Gerard on Her Experience During Her Trial for Crossing
        the Line

        2) March 27-30, 2004: SOA Watch Spring Mobilization and Lobby Day
        - Including Suggestions on What You Can Do in Your Community

        3) SOA Watch News Advisory
        - Media and Congressional Briefing on Capitol Hill on March 29, 2004

        4) Regional Development of the Movement to Close the SOA
        - Strategy Meeting Report Back and Regional SOA Watch Meetings

        5) General Hector Gramajo is Dead
        - Architect of Genocidal Policies in Guatemala Dies in Bee Attack

        6) SOA Watch Meeting with the U.S. Army

        ________________________________
        GREEN AND GRAY DAYDREAMS AT FORT BENNING

        "As I sat on a southbound bus, I noticed the sharp branches of the bare
        trees pointing upward at a steel-gray sky. I saw that the snow's glitter had
        faded to grayness. Christmas and New Year's had become a memory of song,
        family, friends, freshly fallen snow, and a candlelit church. The two months
        between my arrest at Fort Benning on charges of "criminal trespass" and my
        scheduled trial date were nearly gone. It was time to return to Columbus,
        Georgia. As I rode through the night, I wondered what lay ahead of me. I was
        filled with both hope and fear . . . "

        To read the entire article, click here:
        http://www.soaw.org/new/newswire_detail.php?id=416

        Alice and several other human rights activists who were found guilty by
        Judge Faircloth received their prison report dates in the mail over the past
        few days. For prison addresses and updates visit:
        http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=127

        ________________________________
        MARCH 27-30, 2004: SOA WATCH SPRING MOBILIZATION AND LOBBY DAY

        Please contact the SOA Watch office in DC at jbaker@... and let us know
        about the meetings that you have set up with your Congressperson. If you
        haven't finalized your travel plans to come to DC, get on it! Call the
        Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 to set up a meeting with your
        Representative and Senators to talk about the SOA/WHISC. Visit the website
        for more information:

        Updated Schedule of Events: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=739
        Inexpensive Housing Options: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=714
        Fundraising Tips: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=658
        How to Schedule a Meeting: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=456
        Talking Points: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=745
        Nonviolent Direct Action: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=743
        Information in Spanish: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=754
        And more - visit: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=713&cat=75

        ACTION A DAY TO CLOSE THE SOA: We know that there are thousands of YOU who
        won't be able to be here in body, but you can certainly be here and all over
        the country in spirit! So, we put together this "flash" campaign to
        coordinate all that spirit and increase our collective impact on Congress:
        http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=755

        ________________________________
        SOA WATCH NEWS ADVISORY

        On Monday, March 29 representatives from School of the Americas Watch will
        hold a briefing on Capitol Hill to present startling new research that
        points to the ineffectiveness of cosmetic reforms that were made to the
        school in 2001. Despite claims by U.S. Army officials that the School of the
        Americas (WHISC) has reformed and that atrocities by its graduates are a
        thing of the past, this new research clearly demonstrates that the school
        continues to spend US tax dollars to train known human rights abusers. These
        new findings also raise serious questions in regards to the nature and
        efficacy of the training done at the SOA/WHISC and its subsequent disregard
        for the continued human rights atrocities committed by graduates of the
        school.

        To read the full SOA Watch News Advisory, click here:
        http://www.soaw.org/new/pressrelease.php?id=67

        Engage in local media work as part of your organizing. Build relationships
        with journalists who are covering the issue. To learn more about effective
        media work, visit: http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=261

        ________________________________
        REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE MOVEMENT TO CLOSE THE SOA

        In order to be successful and most effective, the SOA Watch movement needs
        strong regional organizing. The 2004 Strategy Meeting decided on 12 regions
        that will have meetings in the next three months to network, discuss issues
        concerning the movement and decide on a representative for the "Grassroots
        Council," the new decision making body. The 12 regions currently are:
        Northwest (OR, WA, ID, MT, AK), West (Northern and Central CA), Southwest
        (AZ, NM, possibly southern CA), South (TX, AL, MS), Southeast (Carolinas,
        GA, FL), Mid-Atlantic (DC, WV, VA, MD, Western PA), Lower Midwest (MO, KS,
        NE), Upper Midwest (MN, IL, MI, WI, IN), Northeast (PA, DE, NJ), New York,
        New England (MA, RI, NH, CT, VT ME), and the Rockies (CO, WY, UT). Parts of
        the United States not listed here can join the region that makes the most
        sense to them once local groups organize there.

        Report Back from the SOA Watch 2004 Strategy Meeting:
        http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=749
        Timeline for "Grassroots Council" Formation:
        http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=751
        Building the Movement from the bottom up:
        http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=724

        ________________________________
        GENERAL HECTOR GRAMAJO DIES IN BEE ATTACK

        Former Guatemalan defense minister Hector Alejandro Gramajo Morales died on
        March 12 at a hospital several hours after being attacked by aggressive bees
        at his farm in Santo Tomas, Sacatepequez department. Gramajo was the
        architect of genocidal policies from 1980-1991, which resulted in the rape,
        murder, torture, and displacement of hundreds of thousands of indigenous
        people in Guatemala. After retiring from the army, Gramajo described his
        "pacification" program by saying: "You needn't kill everyone to complete the
        job... We instituted Civil Affairs, which provides development for 70% of
        the population while we kill 30%." After US courts found him guilty of
        numerous war crimes, Gramajo was a guest speaker at an SOA graduation
        ceremony in late December 1991, as an "honored guest" (The Bayonet, 1/3/92).
        SOA commandant Jose Feliciano has claimed that Gramajo inspired many SOA
        policies (The Benning Patriot, 2/21/92).

        More information: http://www.soaw.org/new/newswire_detail.php?id=418

        ________________________________
        SOA WATCH MEETING WITH THE U.S. ARMY

        In February 2004, SOA Watch responded to a request from the U.S. Army for a
        meeting with SOA Watch to talk about the School of the Americas/WHISC.
        Because the Army had misrepresented what people have said in the past, we
        broadcasted our response (http://www.soaw.org/new/article.php?id=733). Also,
        in keeping the discussion open we can be both transparent to the movement
        and re-focus the light of public scrutiny on the SOA.

        Following our response letter, Kenneth LaPlante, who has worked as a PR
        person with Core Processes, Inc. for the SOA/WHISC, and is now the Executive
        Liaison for the SOA/WHISC, called the SOA Watch office in Washington, DC on
        Friday, February 27th and told us that General Schoomaker had passed our
        letter to the US Army person in charge of Latin America issues and that he
        would approach that person about the meeting. On March 9, we received a fax
        from Kenneth LaPlante along with a letter from Joseph Drach, Acting Chief of
        the Regional Policy and Politico-Military Affairs Division, stating that SOA
        Watch's proposed March 15, date for the meeting is not viable.

        On March 10, 2004, we wrote back to the four senior officials, who received
        our first response as well as to Mr. Joseph Drach, saying "While this is
        regrettable, we still expect that a meeting between SOA Watch and
        representatives from the Department of Defense and the US Army who have the
        authority to make decisions on the issue is going to take place. Members of
        SOA Watch have traveled extensively to Latin America and witnessed the
        devastating impacts of military training provided at the School of the
        Americas upon the poorest and most vulnerable there. We welcome the
        opportunity to share their stories with you."

        We asked for a response and a confirmation that the Army is still open to
        enter into an open and honest dialogue about the SOA/WHISC. We will keep
        you posted.

        SOA Watch ~ PO Box 4566 ~ Washington DC 20017 ~ (202)234-3440 ~ www.soaw.org

        For more information about the School of the Americas and SOA Watch,
        see: http://www.soaw.org/
        or send email to info@...

        HUMAN RIGHTS NOW! CLOSE THE SCHOOL OF ASSASSINS !!!!!
        --

        Peace!

        *STRIDER* Sector Air Raid Warden at /RENEGADE/

        http://fornits.com/renegade/
        DEDICATED TO SPIRIT, TRUTH, PEACE, JUSTICE, AND FREEDOM

        Articles posted in the last 10 days:
        http://fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?search=Search&increment=days&many=10

        Bay_Area_Activist list
        Membership is by invitation only. Contact
        bay_area_activist-owner@yahoogroups.com - <mailto:
        bay_area_activist-owner@yahoogroups.com> to request membership.

        EF! list -
        earthfirstalert - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/earthfirstalert