  • Robert Sterling <robalini@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2003

      My Cat's Breath Smells Like Catfood
      John Tully
      johntully@...

      here are some ass kicking signs my friend saw at the protests in NY:

      (posted here with her permission)

      War = Desperation
      Desperation breeds terrorism
      Pluck the chicken hawks!
      Bush is a punk ass chump!
      Ashamed to be an American for an unjust war
      Life, liberty, & Justice;
      Not just us!
      Stop the axis of oil
      Speak out before you can't
      It's not as cold as Bush's Heart!
      Justice not War
      $ for jobs, not war
      Save the planet--impeach Bush
      Disarm Bush
      No more innocent victims.
      Healthcare, not warfare
      Bomb Texas. They have oil. too.
      Say No to Bush's New World Disorder!
      Draft the Bush twins
      $ for education, not war
      Destroy American weapons of mass destruction.
      Don't bomb the babies & wave the flag!
      War orphans make good terrorists
      Rise Up
      One nation under surveillance
      Librarians for peace
      Support Our troops
      Bring them home
      Disarmament begins at home!
      No War
      Geezers Against Aggression!
      War & duct tape can't protect you!
      Who would Jesus bomb?
      And we thought he was pro-life!
      Stop exploiting our fear
      I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway
      The world says NO!
      Cut the Bush shit.
      Regime change in Washington

      *****

      Lewinsky and Kaczynski Limerick Contest

      The Lewinsky and Kaczynski Limerick Contest was held on Long Island.
      The
      requirements of the contest were to use the two words, Lewinsky and
      Kaczynski (the Unabomber), in a limerick. Following are the three
      winning
      entries.

      Third place:
      There once was a gal named Lewinsky
      Who played on a flute like Stravinsky.
      'Twas "Hail to the Chief"
      On this flute made of beef
      That stole the front page from Kaczynski.

      Second place:
      Said Clinton to young Ms. Lewinsky
      We don't want to leave clues like Kaczynski.
      Since you look such a mess,
      Use the hem of your dress
      And wipe that stuff off your chinsky.

      And the first place winner:
      Lewinsky and Clinton have shown
      What Kaczynski must surely have known:
      That an intern is better
      Than a bomb in a letter
      When deciding how best to be blown.

      *****

      From Disinfo.com Daily eNewsletter:

      Today's Quote: "Some days after September 11, a psychologist gave
      advice on CNN to parents with children asking difficult questions.
      One young boy had asked "What have we done to make them hate us so
      much that they do such things?" A mature question, unlike the
      answer: "You could tell your child that there are good people in the
      world, and evil - -". That boy had arrived at the stage of
      reciprocity on psychologist Jean Piaget's scale of child development,
      seeing the actions of others at least partly as influenced by our own
      actions (and vice versa). By contrast, the psychologist's answer
      remained at the earlier stage of autism, seeing evil actions by
      others as uninfluenced by anything we do."

      ~~ Johan Galtung & Dietrich Fischer, "To End Terrorism, End State
      Terrorism"
      (http://www.transnational.org/pressinf/2002/pf158_EndStateTerrorism.ht
      ml)

      *****

      2/26/03
      popagnda@...

      New! Neat! Extra Crispy! Cures cancer and athletes ear!
      The Mushu Kitty show.
      Now on internet radio.
      Hosted by DJ Hazmat, Thursdays 7-9 PM PST
      http://www.killradio.org/
      Listen if you dare. (Don't worry. It's mostly music.)

      *****

      Bullfrogs & Blow Jobs

      A woman went into a store to buy her husband a pet for his birthday.

      After looking around, she found that all the pets were very
      expensive. She told the clerk she wanted to buy a pet, but she didn't
      want to spend a fortune.

      "Well," said the clerk, "I have a very large bullfrog. They say it's
      been trained to give blow jobs!" "Blow jobs!" the woman replied.

      "It hasn't been proven but we've sold 30 of them this month," he said.
      The woman thought it would be a great gag gift, and what if it's
      true...no more blow jobs for her! She bought the frog.

      When she explained froggy's ability to her husband, he was extremely
      skeptical and laughed it off. The woman went to bed happy, thinking
      she may never need to perform this less than riveting act again.

      In the middle of the night, she was awakened by the noise of pots and
      pans flying everywhere, making hellacious banging and crashing
      sounds. She ran downstairs to the kitchen, only to find her husband
      and the frog reading cookbooks.

      "What are you two doing at this hour?" she asked. The husband
      replied, "If I can teach this frog to cook, your ass is gone.

      *****

      http://www.gomemphis.com/

      Guru would join Pope in front of bombs
      By Michael Lollar
      lollar@...
      February 27, 2003

      Deepak Chopra, the doctor who is bringing his brand of East-meets-
      West philosophy to Memphis, proposed Wednesday that the Pope, the
      Dalai Lama and himself serve as human shields to avoid bombing in
      Iraq and to rid the world of Saddam Hussein.

      "There are creative solutions no matter what the problem is," said
      Chopra, the Indian-born physician and spiritualist who has become one
      of the world's best-selling authors as a proponent of holistic health
      and healing.

      Chopra, an endocrinologist, blends Western medicine with Eastern
      mysticism and has sold more than 10 million books through the Chopra
      Center for Well Being in La Jolla, Calif. He has become like a
      Western counterpart to Tibet's Dalai Lama, and a secular humanist
      with the kind of influence wielded in the religious world by
      evangelist Billy Graham. A Time magazine story in December called
      Chopra "arguably the world's most influential guru."

      In his upcoming Memphis appearance (7:30 p.m. April 9 at the
      Orpheum), Chopra said he "will be talking in general about the
      evolution of consciousness."

      As part of the concept, Chopra said even the most difficult problems
      can be solved by moving to a "higher level. If you go to the same
      level on which the problem was created then you can't (resolve it)."

      In Iraq, Chopra said the "situation is really out of hand in the
      sense that everybody has become very self-righteous and committed to
      a violent solution. The creative solution now would be to get the
      Pope, the Dalai Lama, celebrities and a few who have a voice all over
      the world to sit and act as human shields so we can avoid a lot of
      death and destruction. I would love to go with them.

      "If we bombed Baghdad tonight and thousands of children died, most
      people would be unaffected. But if the Pope was there we wouldn't do
      it. Isn't that funny?"

      Chopra said he would hope to be joined by heads of state and "tens of
      thousands of people" from around the world as part of a human-shield
      movement. Once the threat of bombing subsided, he said the same peace
      contingent could turn its attention to "a total disarming of Saddam
      Hussein." The Iraqi leader should have no further say, but be
      given "asylum and a safe haven," Chopra said.

      The human shield movement is a growing phenomenon with Iraq welcoming
      volunteers and putting them up in a dormlike facility in a Baghdad
      hotel. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has warned that those
      serving as human shields in Iraq will be treated as war criminals. As
      of last week, more than 130 volunteers, including about 18 Americans,
      had arrived in Baghdad to act as shields - some at specific sites
      such as the Baghdad South Power Plant.

      The Dalai Lama's offices in the West are in London and could not be
      reached last night. In Memphis, Msgr. Peter Buchignani, vicar general
      of the Catholic Diocese of Memphis and pastor of St. Francis of
      Assisi Catholic Church, said he doubts the ailing Pope would become a
      human shield. "I certainly respect the idea, and, of course, I can't
      speak for the Pope, but, personally, I don't see that as a solution."
      Buchignani said the Catholic Church's position now is that a
      unilateral declaration of war against Iraq is not justified and
      should only be a last resort.

      On his Web site (http://www.chopra.com), Chopra mentions a new Global
      Strategic Alliance for the New Humanity, where international issues
      from saving rain forests to war can be addressed. Groups ranging from
      orphanages to environmentalists are being organized under the
      alliance to serve as what Chopra calls "peace cells. Even in the West
      Bank, Gaza and Israel they have peace cells. You and I know more
      about what Winona Ryder stole from that stupid shop than what these
      people are doing in the world."

      In Memphis, one of Chopra's former students, philanthropist Gayle
      Rose, once worked as president of Chopra Companies. Rose said she met
      Chopra in 1988 while being treated for heart ar rhythmia. She spent a
      week with Chopra in Boston before he moved to California. "The first
      thing he said to me is something I will never forget. He
      said, 'Gayle, are you happy?' "

      Focusing on Chopra's mind-body techniques, including meditation, Rose
      said she eventually was able to give up 580 milligrams a day of heart
      medication. Her doctors told her the heart disorder "disappeared as
      mysteriously as it came."

      - Michael Lollar: 529-2793

      Copyright 2003, GoMemphis. All Rights Reserved.

      *****

      Newsday.com
      Estrada Endorser Had Partisan Role
      Apparent conflict with ABA rules
      By Tom Brune
      WASHINGTON BUREAU

      February 24, 2003

      Washington - The lawyer who recommended the American Bar
      Association's highest rating for controversial appellate judge
      candidate Miguel Estrada took part in partisan Republican activities
      during his term as a nonpartisan judicial nomination evaluator for
      the Bar, according to records and interviews.

      While serving on the ABA's nonpartisan Standing Committee on the
      Federal Judiciary, veteran Washington lawyer Fred F. Fielding also
      worked for the Bush-Cheney Transition Team, accepted an appointment
      from the Bush administration and helped found a group to promote and
      run ads supporting Bush judicial nominees, including Estrada.

      Fielding evaluated Estrada in the month after President George W.
      Bush nominated him on May 9, 2001, ABA officials said. That was just
      weeks after Fielding vetted executive appointments for Bush's
      transition team and a year before he helped start the partisan
      Committee for Justice, records show.

      The overlap has thrust Fielding - and his evaluation that led to the
      15-member ABA Standing Committee's unanimous vote to rate
      Estrada "well qualified" - into the heated political battle over
      Estrada's nomination to the prestigious U.S. Court of Appeals for the
      District of Columbia, a stepping-stone to the Supreme Court.

      Stephen Burbank, a judicial expert at the University of Pennsylvania,
      said Fielding's overlap raises an appearance of conflict, but even if
      he had stepped aside Estrada likely would have won the top ABA rating
      because of his strong academic and legal credentials.

      Estrada, 41, a Washington attorney, graduated from Harvard Law School
      with honors, served as an assistant solicitor general in the Justice
      Department and has argued 15 cases before the Supreme Court.

      That ABA rating has become a selling point for Republicans seeking to
      rebut Democrats, who two weeks ago began to filibuster a vote on
      Estrada, charging the conservative Hispanic lawyer is a "stealth
      nominee" who has a scant written record and won't answer questions on
      his views.

      On Feb. 12, Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) charged that Fielding had a
      conflict: "Doesn't Mr. Fielding's dual role -
      purportedly 'independent' evaluator and partisan foot soldier -
      violate ABA rules?"

      Those rules say no Standing Committee member should participate in an
      evaluation if it would "give rise to the appearance of impropriety or
      would otherwise be incompatible" with the committee's purpose of a
      fair and nonpartisan process.

      ABA officials said the Standing Committee does not evaluate a
      nominee's ideology or politics, only his professional competence,
      integrity and judicial temperament, based on many interviews and
      research.

      ABA president A.P. Carlton rejected Reid's charges. "That's what
      happens when you have a filibuster," he said.

      But his predecessor as ABA president, Robert Hirshon, said he was
      concerned when in late July 2002 he read reports that Fielding had
      joined Republican C. Boyden Gray to start the Committee for Justice.

      "That raised some concerns in my mind," said Hirshon, "given the fact
      that our committee has been tarred by both conservatives and liberals
      as poster boys for the other side, and knowing that we needed to be
      absolutely nonpartisan."

      He called Roscoe Trimmier Jr., then the Standing Committee chair, and
      asked him to talk with Fielding. "I don't see how you can do both,"
      Hirshon said. If Fielding became involved in Gray's group, he
      couldn't serve as an ABA evaluator again, he said.

      Trimmier talked to Fielding. "The upshot," he said, "was that Fred
      Fielding would not take part in any activities until his [ABA] term
      ended" in mid-August 2002.

      Fielding is still listed as a board member of the Committee for
      Justice. He did not return telephone calls.

      The Committee for Justice recently unveiled an ad accusing Democrats
      of "intolerance" for filibustering a vote on Estrada that it plans to
      air in a few states.

      "I don't see the conflict," Gray said, adding Fielding didn't vet
      Estrada while on the transition team and left the ABA post soon after
      his group formed.

      But Nan Aron, executive director of the liberal Alliance for Justice,
      which opposes Estrada, charges that Fielding is too partisan to do a
      fair evaluation.

      Fielding was President Ronald Reagan's White House counsel, an
      adviser to Vice President Dan Quayle and assistant to John Dean,
      President Richard M. Nixon's White House counsel when Watergate broke.

      In May, Bush appointed Fielding to an international center that
      settles trade disputes, a job that pays $2,000 a day plus expenses,
      and last fall thanked Fielding publicly during a rally for his
      judicial nominees.

      Burbank says Fielding's activities raise questions of appearances,
      which could cause more damage to the ABA. Ironically, Bush removed
      the ABA from its long-held role pre-screening judicial nominees
      because of the evaluators' perceived liberal bias.

      "In light of the controversy concerning the proper role of the ABA
      Standing Committee," Burbank said, "it seems to me to be a shame to
      structure the process in such a way that reasonable people might be
      concerned."

      *****

      Newsday.com
      Editor: Bush Cited Report That Doesn't Exist
      By James Toedtman
      CHIEF ECONOMIC CORRESPONDENT
      February 23, 2003

      Washington - There was only one problem with President George W.
      Bush's claim Thursday that the nation's top economists forecast
      substantial economic growth if Congress passed the president's tax
      cut: The forecast with that conclusion doesn't exist.

      Bush and White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer went out of their
      way Thursday to cite a new survey by "Blue-Chip economists" that the
      economy would grow 3.3 percent this year if the president's tax cut
      proposal becomes law.

      That was news to the editor who assembles the economic forecast. "I
      don't know what he was citing," said Randell E. Moore, editor of the
      monthly Blue Chip Economic Forecast, a newsletter that surveys 53 of
      the nation's top economists each month.

      "I was a little upset," said Moore, who said he complained to the
      White House. "It sounded like the Blue Chip Economic Forecast had
      endorsed the president's plan. That's simply not the case."

      Deputy White House Press Secretary Claire Buchan insisted Friday that
      the survey, which mentioned "the likelihood that some version of the
      Bush administration's latest stimulus package will be enacted,"
      justified the president's claim. Moore said that a survey taken in
      January before the president announced his plan forecast 3.3 percent
      annual growth between the last quarter of 2002 and the last quarter
      of 2003. A survey taken in February reached the same consensus.

      *****

      Plane Crashes With Afghan Minister Aboard, Official Says
      From Times Wire Services
      February 24, 2003

      KARACHI, Pakistan -- An Afghan government minister and three of his
      officials were among eight people aboard a chartered Cessna aircraft
      that crashed soon after taking off here early today, an official of
      the charter firm said.

      Juma Mohammad Mohammadi, the Afghan minister for petroleum and mines,
      was aboard the flight, along with an official of Pakistan's Foreign
      Ministry and Sun Chang Feng, chief executive of MCC Resource
      Development Co., a Chinese pipeline firm, said the official of Star
      Aviation, which chartered the aircraft from a private relief agency.

      "All those aboard except the pilot were foreigners," said the
      official, who did not want to be identified. He gave no other
      details, and the information could not be independently confirmed.

      There was no immediate information about survivors from the aircraft,
      which was en route from Karachi to Jazak near the Iranian border.

      The aircraft lost contact with the Karachi airport control tower 29
      minutes after takeoff, and it appeared that the crash site was 18
      miles from the city, said Pervez George, of the Pakistani civil
      aviation authority.

      The Cessna 402 aircraft was owned by a Pakistani private welfare
      organization, Edhi Trust, and chartered by Star Aviation, according
      to Abdul Sattar Edhi, head of the trust.

      *****

      http://www.counterpunch.org/

      CounterPunch
      February 24, 2003
      Chemical Brothers:
      Bush Magic Turns Medicines Into Munitions
      by CHRIS FLOYD

      Six million marched for peace last week, but the Bush Regime and the
      Blair Regency were unmoved by this outburst from the ignorant rabble.
      Instead, the righteous leaders of the "Coalition of the Willing" (or
      COW) declared that no power on earth will halt their holy quest to
      rid the world of Saddam Hussein and his chemical weapons.

      Strange, then, to see one of COW's biggest bovines--Pentagon warlord
      Donald "Squinty" Rumsfeld--informing the dazed and docile
      rubberstamps of Congress of his intention to assault Iraq with, er,
      chemical weapons.

      Rumsfeld told Congress he has asked COW head George W. Bush to sign a
      special waiver allowing American forces to use biochemical weapons
      against Iraqi troops and civilians in the upcoming stampede into
      Iraq, UPI reports. What's more, the COW chemicals would be launched
      unilaterally, as part of the standard Rules of Engagement--and not
      merely in retaliation for an attack with similar weapons by Saddam.

      In his extraordinary testimony--entirely ignored by the mainstream
      American media, natch--Rumsfeld openly complained about the onerous
      restrictions imposed on American forces by the stupid old Chemical
      Weapons Convention that the U.S. signed--indeed, initiated--many
      years ago. Rumsfeld told the Congressfolk of his deep "regret" that
      the U.S. had "tangled ourselves up so badly" with all that sissy-mary
      malarkey in the first place. But now, thank God, a real brush-
      clearin', pretzel-chompin' he-man is sitting on top of the COW, so
      Squinty is sure to get that waiver.

      What Squinty wants to do is unleash a barrage of so-called "non-
      lethal" biochemical weapons against any godless Ayrab stupid enough
      to resist the incoming herd. This array of incapacitators--or to use
      the Pentagon's quaint term, "calmatives"--will include fighting
      pharmaceuticals developed by the world's leading drug companies.
      True, the weaponization of medicine is something of a departure from
      the Hippocratic Oath--but what's health and healing when your COW is
      calling you to war? Anyway, isn't the Hippocratic Oath--like the CWC,
      the ABM Treaty, the UN Charter, the Bill of Rights, indeed, the very
      notion of law itself--outmoded in the new Bush imperium?
      Rumsfeld hopes to emulate the glorious success of Russian security
      forces, who used "non-lethal calmatives" to liberate the Nord-Ost
      hostages from their captors--and from the bonds of earthly existence
      as well. But there's one slight hitch: the Russians' employment
      of "calmatives"--however blundering and murderous--was legal under
      international law, which permits the use of "crowd-control devices"
      in domestic, law enforcement situations. But the use of any chemical
      weapon against people in wartime--no matter how supposedly non-lethal
      it might be--is expressly forbidden by a number of international
      treaties, all signed by the United States.

      Not only that: the very production of such combat weapons is
      prohibited--which is supposedly why COW is on its high horse about
      Iraq. Squinty knows this, of course; that's why he and COW head Bush
      have quietly shifted funding authority for "calmative" research from
      Pentagon coffers to John Ashcroft's Justice Department--it
      gives "domestic" cover to the military program. Meanwhile, Squinty
      proudly notes that production of "delivery systems" for the
      weaponized drugs is rolling right along: the COW invaders will be
      able to use both an unmanned "loitering vehicle"--which hovers in the
      air and sprays brain-deadening and gut-wrenching juice over all and
      sundry--and a good-old fashioned mortar shell loaded with chemical
      cocktails.

      Rumsfeld painted the deployment of field chemical weapons as
      a "humanitarian gesture," but here too there's a slight hitch. "There
      is no way known to medical science that can put large numbers of
      people to sleep without killing a sizable percentage of them," as
      Harvard biology professor and biochemical weapons expert Matt
      Meselson told The Nation. This is particularly disturbing in the
      light of Pentagon documents obtained by The Sunshine Project, a Texas-
      based group devoted to biochemical warfare issues, detailing the
      actual plans for the weapons.

      The papers, produced by the Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate,
      stress a concern for "target discrimination." Like so many Pentagon
      terms, this phrase actually means the opposite: the weapons do not
      discriminate among targets--civilian from soldier, for example--they
      simply knock out (or kill) everyone within range, allowing COW troops
      to move in afterwards and discriminate the victims into piles of "bad
      guys" and unlucky innocent bystanders. This is considered
      particularly effective in urban warfare, although the JNLWD papers do
      note that "soldiers would probably have to be trained to refrain from
      killing persons already incapacitated with chemical weapons." Well,
      let's hope so, anyway.

      Rumsfeld, of course, knows his way around drugs. He was chairman of
      two major pharmaceutical firms, including G.D. Searle, which later
      merged with Monsanto which then merged with Pharmacia & Upjohn and is
      now merged with Pfizer, creating of the world's great googily-moogily
      conglomerations of medical loot. Doubtless, Squinty dumped any
      remaining shares in these various interlocking combines when he
      cashed out his $95 million worth of corporate holdings upon taking
      office in 2001--or rather, many, many months after taking office and
      overseeing programs like, well, the weaponization of pharmaceuticals
      (before the program's hugger-mugger shift to Ashcroft).

      He's also well-acquainted with the use of chemical weapons in combat.
      Back in 1983, when the UN first revealed that Saddam Hussein was
      exchanging biochemical unpleasantries with Iran, Rumsfeld himself was
      kicking back in Baghdad, bringing fraternal greetings to Saddam from
      the wise and pious leaders of the West: Ronald Reagan--and some guy
      named George Bush.

      Chris Floyd is a columnist for the Moscow Times and a regular
      contributor to CounterPunch. He can be reached at:
      cfloyd72@...