    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2002

      War On Terrorism Or Police State?
      By Rep. Cynthia McKinney

      The attacks of September 11th, 2001 caused significant changes
      throughout our society. For our military services, this included
      increased force protection, greater security, and of course the
      deployment to and prosecution of the War on Terrorism in Afghanistan
      and elsewhere. Sadly, one of the first acts of our President was to
      waive the high deployment overtime pay of our servicemen and women
      who are serving on the front lines of our new War. The Navy estimates
      that the first year costs of this pay would equal about 40 cruise
      missiles. The total cost of this overtime pay may only equal about
      300 cruise missiles, yet this Administration said it would cost too
      much to pay our young men and women what the Congress and the
      previous Administration had promised them.

      In another ironic twist, the War on Terrorism has the potential to
      bring the US military into American life as never before. A Northern
      Command has been created to manage the military's activity within the
      continental United States. Operation Noble Eagle saw combat aircraft
      patrolling the air above major metropolitan areas, and our airports
      are only now being relieved of National Guard security forces.
      Moreover, there is a growing concern that the military will be used
      domestically, within our borders, with intelligence and law
      enforcement mandates as some now call for a review of the Posse
      Comitatus Act prohibitions on military activity within our country.

      In the 1960s, the lines between illegal intelligence, law enforcement
      and military practices became blurred as Americans wanting to make
      America a better place for all were targeted and attacked for
      political beliefs and political behavior. Under the cloak of the Cold
      War, military intelligence was used for domestic purposes to conduct
      surveillance on civil rights, social equity, antiwar, and other
      activists. In the case of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Operation
      Lantern Spike involved military intelligence covertly operating a
      surveillance operation of the civil rights leader up to the time of
      his assassination. In a period of two months, recently declassified
      documents on Operation Lantern Spike indicate that 240 military
      personnel were assigned in the two months of March and April to
      conduct surveillance on Dr. King. The documents further reveal that
      16,900 man-hours were spent on this assignment. Dr. King had done
      nothing more than call for black suffrage, an end to black poverty,
      and an end to the Vietnam War. Dr. King was the lantern of justice
      for America: spreading light on issues the Administration should have
      been addressing. On April 4, 1968, Dr. King's valuable point of light
      was snuffed out. The documents I have submitted for the record
      outline the illegal activities of the FBI and its CoIntelPro program.
      A 1967 memo from J. Edgar Hoover to 22 FBI field offices outlined the
      COINTELPRO program well: "The purpose of this new counterintelligence
      endeavor is to expose, disrupt, misdirect, or otherwise neutralize"
      black activist leaders and organizations.

      As a result of the Church Committee hearings, we later learned that
      the FBI and other government authorities were conducting black bag
      operations that included illegally breaking and entering private
      homes to collect information on individuals. FBI activities
      included "bad jacketing," or falsely accusing individuals of
      collaboration with the authorities. It included the use of paid
      informants to set up on false charges targeted individuals. And it
      resulted in the murder of some individuals. Geronimo Pratt Ji Jaga
      spent 27 years in prison for a crime he did not commit. And in
      COINTELPRO documents subsequently released, we learn that Fred
      Hampton was murdered in his bed while his pregnant wife slept next to
      him after a paid informant slipped drugs in his drink.

      Needless to say, such operations were well outside the bounds of what
      normal citizens would believe to be the role of the military, and the
      Senate investigations conducted by Senator Frank Church found that to
      be true. Though the United States was fighting the spread of
      communism in the face of the Cold War, the domestic use of
      intelligence and military assets against its own civilians was
      unfortunately reminiscent of the police state built up by the
      Communists we were fighting.

      We must be certain that the War on Terrorism does not threaten our
      liberties again. Amendments to H.R. 4547, the Costs of War Against
      Terrorism Act, that would increase the role of drug interdiction task
      forces to include counter intelligence, and that would increase the
      military intelligence's ability to conduct electronic and financial
      investigations, can be the first steps towards a return to the abuses
      of constitutional rights during the Cold War. Further, this bill
      includes nearly $2 billion in additional funds for intelligence
      accounts. When taken into account with the extra-judicial
      incarceration of thousands of immigration violators, the transfer of
      prisoners from law enforcement custody to military custody, and the
      consideration of a 'volunteer' terrorism tip program, America must
      stand up and protect itself from the threat not only of terrorism,
      but of a police state of its own.

      There does exist a need to increase personnel pay accounts, replenish
      operations and maintenance accounts and replace lost equipment. The
      military has an appropriate role in protecting the United States from
      foreign threats, and should remain dedicated to preparing for those
      threats. Domestic uses of the military have long been prohibited for
      good reason, and the same should continue to apply to all military
      functions, especially any and all military intelligence and
      surveillance. Congress and the Administration must be increasingly
      vigilant towards the protection of and adherence to our
      constitutional rights and privileges. For, if we win the war on
      terrorism, but create a police state in the process, what have we

      Cynthia McKinney represents Georgia's Fourth Congressional District.
      This is article is a reprint of her remarks before the House Armed
      Services Committee on H.R. 4547, The Costs of War Against Terrorism

      She can be reached at: cymck@...

      Excerpt from 2002 Chemtrails Over America

      ********* U P D A T E ********** (7/28/02)

      In recent past years you were able to go to a natural area of high
      negative ionization such as forests, mountains, beaches, and
      waterfalls. These were considered healthy places. All of that has
      changed. The government and military aerosol (chemtrail) activity in
      the atmosphere, over our cities and world has damaged and negated the
      ability of natural resources to produce healthy negative ions as
      before. The total effect is a great increase in positive ions on and
      around your body and in your total living environment.

      All things, in the past, that had impact on natural environmental
      production of negative ions, for the well being of all kinds of life
      forms, is not of great consequence in today's military chemtrail
      world. The military activity in the atmosphere ultimately has a
      lethal, destructive effect on the production of negative ions - the
      same negative ions humans and other life forms depend on for their
      very survival.

      Weather and atmosphere is important in the production of negative
      ions. The Navy RFMP/ VTRPE chemtrail program uses a barium salt
      mixture aerosol in the atmosphere we breathe. The Navy program
      started over four years ago and hundreds of tons of barium salt has
      been sprayed into our air. You cannot make negative ions in a barium
      salt atmosphere that is radiated and contains an electrolyte. There
      are more factors making positive ions than there are factors making
      negative ions.

      We are coming into a time when all living life forms and our farm
      soil will require negative ions to survive. Negative ions in the air
      decay within a few seconds of being created.

      Please visit http://ion_effects.tripod.com to learn more about the
      effects of negative and positive ions. It is important that you do

      Here is the Dummy's Guide to Current Stock Market.

      Bull Market - A random market movement causing an investor to
      mistake himself for a financial genius.

      Bear Market - A 6 to 18-month period when the kids get no allowance,
      the wife gets no jewelry and the husband gets no sex.

      Momentum Investing - The fine art of buying high and selling low.

      Value Investing - The art of buying low and selling lower.

      P/E ratio - The percentage of investors wetting their pants as the
      Market keeps crashing.

      Broker - Poorer than you were last year.

      "Buy, Buy" - A flight attendant making market recommendations as you
      step off the plane.

      Standard & Poor - Your life in a nutshell.

      Stock Analyst - Idiot who just downgraded your stock.

      Stock split - When your ex-wife and her lawyer split all your assets
      equally between themselves.

      Financial Planner - A guy who actually remembers his wallet when he
      runs to the 7-11 for toilet paper and cigarettes.

      Market Correction - The day after you buy stocks.

      Cash Flow - The movement your money makes as it disappears down the

      Call Option - Something people used to do with a telephone in ancient
      times before e-mail.

      Day Trader - Someone who is disloyal from 9-5.

      Cisco - Sidekick of Pancho.

      Yahoo - What you yell after selling it to some poor sucker for $240
      per share.

      Windows 2000 - What you jump out of when you're the sucker that
      bought Yahoo for $240 per share.

      Institutional Investor - Past year investor who's now locked up in a
      nut house.

      Profit - Religious guy who talks to God.

      Bill Gates - Where God goes for a loan.

      Alan Greenspan - God.

      Merrill Replaced Research Analyst Who Upset Enron
      Tue Jul 30, 9:14 AM ET
      By RICHARD A. OPPEL Jr. The New York Times

      WASHINGTON, July 29 In the summer of 1998, when it was eager to win
      more investment banking business from Enron, Merrill Lynch replaced a
      research analyst who had angered Enron executives by rating the
      company's stock "neutral" with an analyst who soon upgraded the
      rating, according to Congressional investigators.

      The move by Merrill Lynch came after two Merrill executives wrote a
      memo that April to the firm's president, Herbert Allison, saying that
      Merrill had lost a lucrative stock underwriting deal because Enron
      executives had a "visceral" dislike of the research analyst, John
      Olson, and what he told investors about Enron stock, according to
      documents obtained by investigators for a Senate panel looking into
      the relationship among Enron and its banks.

      Merrill vigorously disputes that there was any link between its
      rating on Enron and its desire to win more business from Enron.

      In the memo, the two investment bankers, Rick Gordon and Schuyler
      Tilney, noted that "our research relationship with Enron has been
      strained for a long period of time." Mr. Olson, they said, "has not
      been a real supporter of the company, even though it is the largest,
      most successful company in the industry." They also said that Enron
      viewed his research as "flawed" and that Mr. Olson who left for
      another firm in August 1998 "often makes snide and potentially
      embarrassing remarks about the company in meetings with analysts
      while in the presence" of Enron's top two executives, Jeffrey K.
      Skilling and Kenneth L. Lay. They also pointed out that all of the
      investment banks that had won a portion of the underwriting deal from
      Enron had "buy" ratings on Enron stock.

      In early 1999, after the new analyst took over, Mr. Tilney wrote Mr.
      Allison to say that Enron's anger with Merrill's research
      had "dissipated" and that "to that end," Merrill had since won Enron
      business that would generate at least $45 million in fees.

      Mr. Tilney wrote to Mr. Allison in an e-mail message dated Jan. 15,
      1999: "I wanted to update you on recent developments in our
      relationship with Enron since you spoke to their C.E.O., Ken Lay,
      last spring regarding our difficult relationship in research. It is
      clear that your responsive message was appreciated by the company,
      and any animosity in that regard seems to have dissipated in the
      ensuing months."

      The exchanges among Merrill executives, captured in internal Merrill
      documents and e-mail messages that have been subpoenaed by the Senate
      Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, highlight the debate over
      one of the most contentious issues on Wall Street: To what degree do
      brokerage firms adjust their ratings on publicly traded companies to
      try to win investment-banking business.

      To investigators with the Senate panel, which is holding a hearing
      Tuesday examining Merrill Lynch's relationship with Enron, the
      episode suggests that Merrill executives hoped the firm would raise
      the rating on Enron stock to obtain more business from the company.
      At the very least, it shows that senior Merrill executives actively
      discussed the way a less-than-positive rating on Enron's stock would
      limit the business that Enron executives were willing to do with the

      A Merrill spokesman, William Halldin, said investment bankers at the
      firm never asked superiors to take action against Mr. Olson. "Our
      research was not compromised," he said. Merrill also said it believed
      its employees "behaved properly" in their dealings with Enron. A
      lawyer for Mr. Tilney, Robert Trout, declined to comment.

      Mr. Halldin said the memo simply showed that while Mr. Olson's
      research prompted the phone call to Mr. Lay, the call had been
      focused primarily on getting Merrill into the Enron underwriting on
      the basis of the firm's long relationship with Enron and leadership
      in the business. He added that Mr. Olson, after joining another firm,
      had also increased his rating on Enron and that Mr. Allison's phone
      call to Mr. Lay had resulted in Merrill's securing a role as co-
      manager for the underwriting.

      Donato J. Eassey, the analyst who upgraded Enron in 1998,
      to "accumulate," angrily dismissed the idea that he had done so to
      help Merrill win business, saying his decision had been based on
      careful research.

      "It infuriates me," Mr. Eassey said. "When you go to bed at night as
      an analyst, all you have is your integrity." Mr. Eassey added that in
      August 2001, after the surprise resignation of Enron's chief
      executive, Mr. Skilling, he downgraded Enron two notches,
      to "neutral" months before other analysts did the same.

      Mr. Eassey said Mr. Olson had had a difficult relationship with some
      Merrill investment bankers before he left in 1998. "He left Merrill
      because he and the bankers didn't get along," Mr. Eassey said. "John
      was getting beaten up at Merrill Lynch." Mr. Eassey declined to
      elaborate, but he said, "The fact of the matter is, we didn't get any
      more business with John there or John gone."

      In an interview this afternoon, Mr. Olson said he took early
      retirement from Merrill in August 1998 "in lieu of other options" at
      the firm. He declined to elaborate, saying he needed to review
      whether terms of an agreement he signed with Merrill when he left
      allow him to say anything more. He now works for Sanders Morris
      Harris, an investment research firm in Houston.

      Mr. Halldin, the Merrill spokesman, said Mr. Olson had left Merrill
      because of a "consolidation in the research department." Mr. Olson's
      rating on Enron or any other stock was not discussed by Merrill
      officials who made the decisions about the consolidation, Mr. Halldin

      The chairman of the Senate committee, Carl Levin, Democrat of
      Michigan, said Merrill was part of several "troubling" deals with
      Enron. The panel's ranking Republican, Susan M. Collins of Maine,
      added that it appeared Merrill "knowingly participated in deals that
      were used to make Enron's financial position appear more robust than
      it actually was."

      Last week, Merrill placed Mr. Tilney, now head of the firm's energy
      investment-banking practice, on paid administrative leave for
      refusing to testify to the Senate panel on Tuesday about the
      company's dealings with Enron. A former Merrill banker, Robert Furst,
      will also decline to testify, Merrill has said. Merrill said Mr.
      Tilney opted not to testify after learning of a Justice Department (
      news - web sites) inquiry into at least one transaction that involved
      Merrill and Enron.

      In addition to the episode involving Mr. Olson, the Senate committee
      also plans to examine other deals by Enron with Merrill, including
      the firm's role in raising money for LJM2, a partnership run by
      Andrew S. Fastow, Enron's chief financial officer at the time, that
      played a central role in Enron's collapse.

      The panel will also examine Enron's December 1999 sale to a Merrill
      entity of a part-interest in a Nigerian barge operation that
      investigators say allowed Enron to book a $12 million profit.
      Investigators say documents show that Enron intended to have Merrill
      bought out the following summer, so the transaction was not a true
      sale but instead a sham deal that allowed Enron to increase its
      earnings for the previous year. One document obtained by
      investigators quotes a Merrill official as saying that "it was our
      understanding" that Merrill would be repaid, with a profit, by June
      30, 2000.

      Merrill disputes that characterization, saying it was "likely, though
      not certain," that an unaffiliated third party would acquire the

      The Senate panel will also look at other ways Merrill sought to
      increase its business with Enron, including the firm's decision to
      take $40 million of a $482 million offer of Enron debt early last
      year in a deal called Zephyrus.

      One internal Merrill document states that Enron executives
      had "informed Merrill Lynch that it is at a distinct disadvantage
      because of Merrill's reluctance to use its balance sheet to support
      Enron's business activities" and that investing in Zephyrus was part
      of Merrill's efforts to "improve its relationship." Merrill said the
      deal had been approved "pursuant to the firm's applicable policies
      and procedures."

      Iran's Leader Says Iran Would Make US Regret Any Attack

      TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said
      Saturday his country would make the United States regret any attack
      on the Islamic Republic, which Washington has branded part of
      an "axis of evil."

      Khamenei's latest warnings came amid calls in the United States for a
      change of regime in Iran due to Washington's growing doubts about the
      ability of moderate President Mohammad Khatami to deliver promised

      "The Americans know that if they opt for military intervention, this
      nation would give them a response to make them regret it," Khamenei
      told a public meeting, quoted by the state media.

      "The Americans cannot do as they did in 1953 because the Iranian
      people are faithful to Islam and the revolution and alert in the face
      of plots," he said, referring to a CIA-backed coup against Iran's
      elected prime minister Mohammad Mossadeq to bring the former shah to

      The shah's regime was toppled in the 1979 Islamic revolution and
      months later Washington broke ties with Iran after radical Islamists
      stormed the U.S. embassy in Tehran and took staff hostage.

      A bipartisan group of U.S. lawmakers said Thursday they wanted
      Congress to go on record calling for a new regime in Iran, which they
      said posed a more serious threat than Iraq.

      They said their demand mirrored a shift in President Bush's policy
      toward Iran.

      The White House has denied it was dropping a five-year effort to
      reach out to Khatami, elected in 1997 as a reformer, but
      administration officials say their focus will be directed at Iranians
      pushing for change.

      The Konformist must make a request for donations via Paypal, at
      Paypal.com. If you can and desire, please feel free to send money to
      help The Konformist through the following email address:

      If you are interested in a free subscription to The
      Konformist Newswire, please visit:

      Or, e-mail konformist-subscribe@egroups.com with the
      subject: "I NEED 2 KONFORM!!!"

      (Okay, you can use something else, but it's a kool
      catch phrase.)