Konformist: The 26 March 1999

  • Robalini@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 1999

      The Konformist

      INDONESIA NEARS REVOLUTION MEDIA HIDES STORY
      Jerry Schmidt (ar429@...)

      How Do They Do It?
      Barry Chamish (chamish@...)

      ANOTHER CROP FORMATION IN JEZREEL VALLEY
      Barry Chamish (chamish@...)

      April Fools:
      MAXXAM COULD CUT NEWLY ACQUIRED "HOLE IN OF THE HEADWATERS"

      Know Your Customer Victory?
      THE LIBERTARIAN PARTY

      Rights Groups Ask Court to Free Lebanese

      From: ar429@...

      INDONESIA NEARS REVOLUTION
      MEDIA HIDES STORY
      by Jerry Schmidt

      The following important news was either totally blacked out by the U.S.
      corporate media or was reported in such a fragmented manner that the
      whole story is all but impossible to comprehend.

      The SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (SCMP) reports from Borneo, a major
      Indonesian island-state, that "Indonesia's police and armed forces
      appear unable or unwilling to intervene, confining their role to the
      provision of refuge for frightened families." and further "The apparent
      inability of the armed forces to stem such unrest when it first breaks
      out is becoming predictable. Despite the military's dominant role in
      elite politics in Jakarta, they remain relatively thinly spread across
      Indonesia's vast archipelago."

      Indonesia is the fourth most populous country in the world and sits in
      the middle of the most important trade routes in Asia. Japan and the
      west have countless billions invested there and it now is all but lost.
      The International Monetary Fund is also conspicuously silent on the
      current volatile situation in Indonesia. It looks now that the planned
      early June elections will also go down the tubes. A local priest
      reports, for example, that every farm in his parish has been vandalized.
      Their has been no government ability to stop this. The farms are owned
      by Indonesian elite and the attacks are by agricultural workers.

      The current rebellion, in some Indonesian states, by Muslims, who are
      mainly workers , is against predominantly middle and upper class
      Christians. The government, while pretending to be neutral, is of
      course, backing the Christians who are their economic and political
      allies. Over 1000 have been killed this year in this on-going conflict.
      The U.S. corporate media consistently bills it as a "religious" battle.
      The WALL STREET JOURNAL Put it this way on March 3rd, 1999- (Jakarta,
      Indonesia) "Rather than cooling down religious-based violence here may
      be heating up." A day earlier the same paper reported " Daily life in
      Indonesia's countryside turns to tatters. Rural ills exert nationwide
      effects."

      Some who follow the area's political destiny say that civil war there
      can be contagious for all of South East Asia.and will, of course, have
      severe adverse repercussions worldwide.

[...]

      The SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (SCMP) 3-16-99) states " That joblessness
      in Hong Kong is now at a 25 year high of 6% and might go to 8 or 9% in
      the coming months."

      The SCMP (3-15-99) States " China's urban unemployed is at 3.1% not
      counting 6 million laid off workers being cared for by their State
      employers. But even state media acknowledges the rate is closer to 11%.
      If China's 130 million rural workers are counted the rate tops 17%."

      At the recent meeting of the National People's Congress Premier Zhu
      warned finance trade officials of "The negative impact of the regional
      financial crisis on the national economy and to prepare for difficult
      years ahead."

      China with 1/4 0f the world's population, is in danger of having to
      devalue its currency. Many believe this will have drastic consequences
      to the U.S. and the rest of the world economy. Many believe such an
      action would really shake our stock market which has been immune to
      other normally adverse factors so far. This, in turn, some indicate,
      could catapult the world into a long lasting depression reminiscent of
      the thirties. With most people living economically near the edge now
      such a phenomenon could initiate a social upheaval with currently
      unpredictable dimensions.

      China already is showing dangerous social instability with almost weekly
      worker street protest demonstrations some place in the country that
      necessitate the calling out of large police reserves and occasionally
      even army troops. Premier Zhou recently urged local law enforcement
      officials to handle such situations with less brutality so as not to
      arouse the workers to greater anxiety levels. Ten million more workers
      are expected to be separated from their jobs this year. On one recent
      protest gathering the demonstrators said "We don't demand fish or meat,
      just some rice porridge!"

      Unemployment statistics are one of the best economic indicators
      available. In ALL Asian and Latin American countries unemployment now is
      reported to be rising. The USA is not an island and is gradually being
      affected by the declining world economy. Los Angeles, in particular, is
      very much involved in world trade and therefor affected daily by it.
      Manufacturing, in February, in the U.S. ran at only 80 of capacity vs
      over 90% in the like month of 1998. Under these conditions industrial
      expansion, new machine tools, and hiring are all adversely effected and
      will eventually hit the unrealistically high stock market.

      From: chamish@...

      How Do They Do It? by Barry Chamish

      Here is the media reaction to the police request to investigate the
      legal contradictions between the State Pathologist's report on the condition
      of Yitzhak Rabin's body and those of the doctors and nurses who attended
      him; and to investigate the police criminal laboratory's findings that Rabin
      was shot point blank, rather than the 30-50 cm. range concluded by the
      Shamgar Commission.

      1. Dror Sknolnick of Makor Rishon prepared a detailed and sympathetic report
      about the requested investigation and interviewed many of the 25 people who
      came to sign or witness the complaint. He called to tell me his "editors are
      too worried about the reliability of the documents submitted." Needless to
      say, that was an excuse. The documents are unequestionably genuine.

      2. Sheike Rosenfeld of Radio Kol Chai phoned to tell me I'd be on the air in
      five minutes. I never heard from him again.

      3. Yehudit Yeheskieli of Yediot Ahronot was most impressed with the
      documentation and promised to send a photographer to my home for her story.
      He never arrived, her story was never published.

      4. Emmanuel Halperin of Channel One Television News spoke to me by phone and
      promised to interview me by the end of the week. He never called back.

      5. Finally, Yerushalayim Magazine prepared an article that was to be
      released on March 20th. It never was.
      This, after I travelled to Jerusalem for our interview and promised to grant
      the editor first publication of the Ichilov Surgical Summation report. After
      Halperin spoke to me, I even called Yerushalayim's editor to ask permission
      to show the report on camera. He requested that I wait until the magazine
      was published and I agreed.

      I don't know how the security services manage to control the media so
      thoroughly, but they do. Like us, the reporters immediately understood the
      importance of the police complaint and the supporting documents. But one
      after another, they were neutralized from higher up.

      There is not a modicum of a free press in Israel. All I can suggest is
      putting out a one time brief newspaper of our own headlining the complaint
      and printing the supporting documentation. If distributed widely, stuffed in
      mailboxes etc., maybe there's a way to bypass this very ugly media coverup.
      If anyone thinks this is a good idea, let me know. Raising funds to put out
      the paper is the main difficulty.

      Meanwhile, be aware that the Israeli media is guilty of being accomplices to
      Rabin's murder after the fact. They are deliberately misleading the public
      about the circumstances of the murder and by doing so, are maintaining the
      myth that Rabin was assassinated by the Right and Religious communities of
      the country. I admit, it is highly discouraging to see how low our
      institutions have sunk. The final blow to our beliefs will come when the
      police close the investigation over some transparent excuse.

      If the police do find a pretext for closing the file, be prepared to lose
      faith in all of Israel's most trusted public institutions. Unless there is a
      way to outsmart them, those in charge of the coverup of Rabin's murder will
      simply outlast and exhaust those seeking the truth for the sake of their
      country's honor. And they will have done so with the media's criminal
      compliance.

      From: chamish@...

      ANOTHER CROP FORMATION IN JEZREEL VALLEY
      by Barry Chamish

      On the afternoon of March 20, a significant crop formation was discovered
      in the Jezreel Valley village of Betlekhem Hagalili. It was the third
      formation found in the Jezreel Valley in the past year. The formation was
      barbell-shaped with two circles of 9 meters diameter joined by a straight
      line also 9 meters long and 90 cm. wide. Eight hundred meters away an 11
      meter diameter circle was found.
      The formations were made in a large wheat field and the circles were spun
      counterclockwise. In classic crop formation fashion, the nodes of the wheat
      were bent but the stems were not broken. No physical residue was found in
      the formations. It is not known if the barbell and circle are part of one
      huge formation or if the circle is a more modest afterthought. Over seventy
      photos of both were shot by Gil Bar and Shaul Burgman.
      Betlekhem HaGalili is located barely a mile from Bet Zarzir, site of the
      first formation last April 12th. The next formation was created six months
      later on October 20 in Tel Adashim, some twelve miles distance. Both the
      timing and locations of the formations might be significant.
      The Jezreel Valley boasts numerous important biblical sites including Har
      Megiddo (Armageddon) where the final battle before Judgement Day is
      prophesized and Mount Tabor, where Jesus meditated for forty days before
      beginning his ministry.
      The circles were formed in an approximate six month cycle. The first
      circle was formed on Passover evening last year, the latest was left a week
      before the beginning of this year's Passover festival.

      For pictures and information on the Jezreel Valley crop formations, please
      visit:
      http://members.tripod.com/~ufoisrael

      From: reward@...

      MAXXAM COULD CUT NEWLY ACQUIRED "HOLE IN OF THE HEADWATERS" AS SOON AS APRIL 1

      Call these people at once:
      GOVERNOR DAVIS: 916 445-2841
      MARY NICOLES: 916 653-5656
      ANDREA TUTTLE: 916 653-5305

      AS A RESULT OF A MEETING BETWEEN WQ AND CDF ON FRIDAY, CDF HAS USED ITS
      DISCRETION TO DETERMINE THAT THP 520, OR THE HOLE IN THE HEADWATERS, DOES
      NOT NEED TO CONFORM WITH HCP STANDARDS AND RE-APPROVAL IS PENDING.
      ANONYMOUS SOURCES HAVE STATED CLEARLY THAT IF CDF ONLY CONSIDERS THE
      "CHANGE OF TIMBER LAND OWNER" AND NOT ANY FURTHER SUBSTANTIVE ISSUES (SUCH
      AS A NEW FEDERAL AND STATE PRESERVE ESTABLISHED SINCE THE THP WAS FIRST
      APPROVED) THE PROCESS WILL ONLY BE A MINOR AMENDMENT AND OPERATIONS COULD
      BEGIN AS EARLY AS MID NEXT WEEK.

      THP 520 IS MORE THAN A SQUARE MILE OF 80 YEAR OLD SECOND GROWTH REDWOOD
      FOREST LOCATED SQUARELY WITHIN THE BORDERS OF THE NEWLY ESTABLISHED
      HEADWATERS RESERVE. THE SOUTH FORK OF THE ELK RIVER WHERE THIS THP IS
      LOCATED, IS ONE OF THE 5 BEST COHO SALMON SPAWNING RIVERS IN THE STATE OF
      CALIFORNIA. THP 520 PRECARIOUSLY HANGS ABOVE THE RIVER FOR MORE THAN 2
      MILES AND CALLS FOR 103 STREAM CROSSINGS. IT BORDERS THE NEW HEADWATERS
      FOREST PRESERVE FOR 5 MILES.

      THIS THP IS AN EXTREMELY CONTENTIOUS LEGACY LEFT OVER FROM THE WILSON
      ADMINISTRATION AND WILL BE A HUGE EMBRACEMENT TO GOVERNOR GRAY DAVIS,
      RESOURCES SECRETARY MARY NICOLES AND NEWLY APPOINTED DIRECTOR OF CDF,
      ANDREA TUTTLE.

      PLEASE CALL THEM IMMEDIATELY AND LET THEM KNOW APPROVING THIS PLAN WOULD BE
      A BIG MISTAKE. ALSO, GET READY TO PROTECT THE FOREST ON THE GROUND BEFORE
      IT IS TOO LATE. LEGAL BASECAMP IN THE OUTSKIRTS OF THE NEWLY ACQUIRED
      PRESERVE. SEE YOU THERE!!

      Send by Darryl Cherney on behalf of:

      David M. Walsh
      P.O. Box 903
      Redway, CA 95560
      Office and Fax(707) 923-3015
      Home (707) 986-1644

      Environmentally Sound Promotions
      PO Box 2254
      Redway, CA 95560
      http://www.jailhurwitz.com/

      Subj: LP RELEASE: Know Your Customer Victory?
      Date: Wednesday, March 24, 1999 03:47:08 AM
      To: Blind.Copy.Receiver@...
      NEWS FROM THE LIBERTARIAN PARTY
      2600 Virginia Avenue, NW, Suite 100
      Washington DC 20037
      World Wide Web: www.LP.org
      For release: March 24, 1999
      For additional information:
      George Getz, Press Secretary
      Phone: (202) 333-0008 Ext. 222
      E-Mail: 76214.3676@...
      FDIC withdraws Know Your Customer

      WASHINGTON, DC -- The FDIC's decision to formally withdraw the
      proposed Know Your Customer rule is great news for Americans' privacy, said
      the Libertarian Party today -- if the frightening regulation is truly dead.

      "It took 257,000 outraged Americans to get the bureaucrats to back
      down -- but we did it," said Steve Dasbach, the party's national director.
      "Now, our challenge is to make sure that Know Your Customer doesn't pull a
      Frankenstein, and come back to life in another form."

      On Tuesday, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and three other
      federal agencies announced they would officially "withdraw" Know Your
      Customer.

      The regulation, which was widely derided as "Spy on Your Customer,"
      would have required banks to monitor transactions, determine where customers
      get their money, and report any "unusual activity" to federal law enforcement
      agencies.

      In a statement, the FDIC said the "unprecedented number of comments"
      from Americans expressing privacy concerns convinced them to drop the rule.

      If anything, "unprecedented" was an understatement. Know Your Customer
      generated a tidal wave of outrage, drowning the FDIC in e-mail messages,
      letters, and faxes during the public comment period which ended on March 8.

      The agency said it normally receives "a couple of hundred" comments
      about bank regulations; Know Your Customer generated over 257,000 comments.

      However, in its statement, the FDIC also cautioned that its
      bureaucrats would "not diminish" their "long-standing support for the
      anti-money-laundering provisions" of federal law, and would have to strike an
      "appropriate balance" between privacy and monitoring Americans' banking
      habits.

      It's that sneaky rhetoric about "balance" that has Libertarians
      worried.

      "The FDIC and other federal agencies want to spy on your bank account,
      and the American public doesn't want them to," said Dasbach. "If the FDIC
      really got the message, they wouldn't be talking about balance -- they would
      simply agree to give us back our financial privacy, and agree to stop spying
      on us."

      The March 23 decision also doesn't prevent the FDIC from bringing Know
      Your Customer back tomorrow, or reintroducing it under another name, or
      getting a different federal agency to sponsor a similar regulation, or simply
      imposing it as a "policy," Dasbach noted.

      In fact, the Federal Reserve's Bank Secrecy Act compliance manual
      still has a section detailing why every bank "needs" to have a Know Your
      Customer-style policy, giving it the force of an informal federal requirement.

      That's why the Libertarian Party will soon shift into Phase Two of its
      anti-Know Your Customer campaign, said Dasbach.

      "There are several bills in Congress, such as HR 516 and HR 518 from
      Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX), that would not only prohibit any federal agency
      from implementing such regulations, but would also repeal the Nixon-era laws
      that give the FDIC such vast power over America's banks," he said.

      "So, we're going to shift our DefendYourPrivacy.com website into a
      lobbying engine for those bills. Until HR 516 and HR 518 become law, we can't
      claim complete victory over Know Your Customer.

      "Remember: Our goal was not to give Know Your Customer a near-death
      experience, but to kill it completely. HR 516 and HR 518 will accomplish that
      goal."

      Ha'aretz, March 23, 1999

      Rights groups ask Court to free Lebanese

      They say four prisoners have been repeatedly tortured and denied medical
      help

      By Moshe Reinfeld, Ha'aretz Supreme Court Correspondent

      A pair of human rights organizations have asked the Supreme Court to force
      Defense Minister Moshe Arens to immediately release four Lebanese men being
      held at the El Khiam detention center in South Lebanon.

      Petitioning the court on behalf of the prisoners, two of whom are minors,
      the Center for the Defense of the Individual and the Association for Civil
      Rights in Israel also asked that the prisoners be allowed to meet with
      Israeli attorneys and representatives of the two organizations.

      The two groups argued that the detentions are illegal and arbitrary. They
      noted that the four men have never been brought before a judge and have not
      been charged. Furthermore, the petitioners argued, the four have not been
      allowed legal counsel and have reportedly been tortured.

      The petition is based largely on information collected by the International
      Red Cross and Amnesty International, and on newspaper reports in Israel and
      abroad.

      From these reports, it appears that the four have serious health problems
      stemming from the conditions of their detention and from lack of medical
      care.

      One of the detained is Suleiman Ramdan, from the village of Ba'al Beq,
      arrested in 1985 by a combined IDF and South Lebanese Army (SLA) force. He
      was wounded during his arrest but did not receive proper medical treatment
      and developed gangrene in his leg, resulting in an amputation in an Israeli
      hospital.

      Ramdan has reportedly been whipped, subjected to electrical shocks, and tied
      to a beam. He has been kept in solitary confinement in a dark cell for three
      years.

      Another detainee was identified as Mustafa Taubah from the village of
      Arnoun, who has been under arrest since October 1997. His wife, Zena, who
      was held for several weeks, says he was apprehended for refusing to
      cooperate with Israel. He was hospitalized several weeks ago after
      collapsing from high blood pressure.

      The third detainee is the couple's son, Ali Taubah, 16, who was arrested to
      put pressure on his father. He told his mother he was tortured with electric
      shocks. The fourth detainee was identified as Rabakh Abu-Fuar, 16, who has
      been imprisoned for a year.

      http://www3.haaretz.co.il/eng/scripts/article.asp?id=42927&mador=1&datee=3/2
      3/99

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/konformist