    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2001

      http://www.disinfo.com/pages/article/id1189/pg1/

      slavery: a capitalist parable
      by Mickey Z (mzx2@...) - May 09, 2001

      Editor's Note: Mickey Z (Michael Zezima) is the author of Saving
      Private Power: The Hidden History of "The Good War" (Soft Skull
      Press, 2000). He also contributed a chapter called "Saving Private
      Power" to You Are Being Lied To (New York: Disinfo Books, 2001),
      edited by Russ Kick.

      In the most remote regions of Brazil, slave labor is employed to cut
      down grand swaths of the precious rain forest to make room to grow
      eucalyptus which is then burned by male slaves (who exploit the body,
      mind, and spirit of female slaves forced into prostitution) to make
      charcoal for the steel mills of Brazil where the poorest of the poor
      toil for wages that do not sustain them so that steel can be shipped
      to a General Motors plant in Mexico (GM is now the largest employer
      south of the US border) where the poorest of the poor endure
      maquiladora conditions so these automobile parts can then be shipped
      to a GM plant in the US (roughly 50 percent of what is termed "trade"
      consists of business transactions between branches of the same
      transnational corporation) where even the poorest of the poor proudly
      take on imposing debt to possess a car "Made in the USA" so they can
      clog the highways that were paved over inestimable eco-systems,
      filling the air with noxious pollution as they make their way to the
      drive-through window of and anti-union fast food restaurant that
      purchased the beef of slaughtered cattle that once grazed on land
      cleared by male slaves who exploit the body, mind, and spirit of
      female slaves in the most remote regions of Brazil.

      *****

      Disclsoure project meets with Congress
      Fri, 11 May 2001
      Ecotoday

      WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Disclosure Project - whose legislative agenda
      includes open hearings, a ban on space-based weapons, and a
      comprehensive
      plan for cooperative, peaceful space development, - continues meeting
      with
      Members of Congress.

      If you support these goals, please begin contacting your two U.S.
      Senators
      and your Congressperson urging them to support Open Hearings on the
      Disclosure agenda. You can also start public petitions for signing
      by your
      friends, at malls, at work, etc. These can in turn be faxed or
      mailed to
      your Members of Congress. Political constituency pressure does work!

      You can find the name, phone, fax, and email address of your two
      Senators and
      your Congressperson at:

      http://www.senate.gov
      http://www.house.gov

      Petition forms, Congressional addresses, etc.can be found at:

      http://www.disclosureproject.org

      Dr. Steven Greer, director of the Disclosure Project, issued this
      statement:

      OVER 250,000 PEOPLE WERE LINED UP TO GO ON LINE AS THE NATIONAL PRESS
      CLUB
      EVENT BEGAN AT 9 AM ON MAY 9, 2001 - THE LARGEST WEBCAST AUDIENCE IN
      THE
      HISTORY OF THE NATIONAL PRESS CLUB IN WASHINGTON DC.

      TO DATE, APPOXIMATELY 1 BILLION PEOPLE WORLD WIDE HAVE HEARD OF THE
      EVENT AND
      SUPPORT IS GROWING FOR HEARINGS.

      TEAM HAS MET WITH OVER 2 DOZEN SENATE AND HOUSE MEMBERS AND STAFF WITH
      WITNESSES PRESENT. URGENT THAT ALL CONCERNED WRITE THEIR 2 SENATORS
      AND THEIR
      HOUSE REPRESENTATIVE AND ASK FOR IMMEDIATE OPEN HEARINGS ON THE UFO
      MATTER.
      INFORM THEM THAT WE NEED LEGISLATION TO BAN SPACE WEAPONS AND A
      RELEASE OF
      ADVANCED ENERGY AND PROPULSION SYSTEMS THAT WILL SOLVE THE ENERGY
      CRISIS AND
      END GLOBAL WARMING AND POLLUTION.

      SEE WWW.DISCLOSUREPROJECT.ORG.

      FOLLOW UP FAX LETTER WITH PERSONAL CALL TO YOUR SENATORS AND REP.

      MORE TO FOLLOW.

      STEVEN M. GREER MD
      DIRECTOR, THE DISCLOSURE PROJECT

      ===========
      Live Webcast Archive: http://www.disclosureproject.org
      U.S. Congress - Hearings & Ban on Space-Based Weapons
      http://www.ecologynews.com/cuenews21.html

      DISCLOSURE PROJECT MAINSTREAM NEWS COVERAGE:

      MSNBC: UFO GROUP WANTS X-FILES OPENED
      http://www.msnbc.com/news/463318.asp

      UPI - Private Project Pushes for UFO Hearings
      http://my.cnn.com/jbcl/cnews/Go?
      template=otmDetStory&art_id=6773557&uid=989495
      230244&page_exclude=1

      BBC: UFO SPOTTERS SLAM 'U.S. COVER-UP'
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1322000/1322432
      .stm

      INDEPENDENT - U.K.:CONFESSIONS OF A UFO SPOTTER: WE DON'T WANT A WAR
      IN
      SPACE
      http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=71356

      ABC NEWS:

      http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/ufo010509.html

      From Yahoo:

      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/abc/20010509/ts/ufo010509_1.html
      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/wjla/20010509/lo/panel_calls_for_con
      gressional_ufo_hearings_1.html
      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/abc/20010509/pl/ufo010509_1.html

      from AP/UPI:

      http://www.vny.com/cf/news/upidetail.cfm?QID=184467
      http://www.vny.com/cf/news/upidetail.cfm?QID=183316 ( bottom
      story)

      from fox news:

      WASHINGTON POST: ALIENS AND UFOs: THE LIKELY SCENARIO
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/nation/columns/roughdraft/A4199-
      2001May9.

      html

      WASHINGTON POST: UFO BELIEVERS SIGHTED HERE!
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6968-2001May9.html

      TV Coverage (More available): CNN Headline News, every hour at
      26 min past, FOX news ran the story live three times, and
      BBC World News covered it during their 7:00 broadcast.

      Alfred Webre - awebre@...
      Contact Alfred Webre for information and action on Congressional
      Hearings and Legislation.

      _____
      EcoNews Service
      http://www.ecologynews.com
      econews@...
      Vancouver, BC V6M1V8

      *****

      Oracle's Ellison seeking Fountain of Youth
      http://www0.mercurycenter.com/front/docs1/ellison0429.htm

      Posted at 10:58 p.m. PDT
      Saturday, April 28, 2001
      BY MATT MARSHALL

      Mercury News

      Centuries after America's early explorers searched in vain
      for the fabled waters of the Fountain of Youth, the
      second-richest man in the world has joined the hunt.

      In hopes of stopping the process of aging, Larry Ellison,
      the brassy 55-year-old chief executive of Oracle, is
      quietly pumping millions of dollars into research and other
      investments. He's now the single largest private supporter
      of research in aging, and he's opening the spigot further.

      Ellison's efforts come at a time when interest in
      age-related research is booming, spurred by breakthroughs
      in science that could soon promise billions and perhaps
      trillions of dollars in profits. Behind that interest are
      the aging baby boomers, the large number of people born in
      the prosperity that came after World War II, who have hit
      or are nearing their golden years. Few embody the
      preoccupation with age more than Ellison.

      "Most people accept early on that they will die," said
      Ellison biographer Mark Wilson. "But part of Larry Ellison
      is saying if he's smart enough, he should be able to beat
      it. . . . Death is just another kind of corporate opponent
      that he can outfox."

      Ellison and Oracle declined to comment last week. But in a
      previous speech, Ellison said the cost of health care for
      an aging population "will literally bankrupt the nation,"
      and that the boomers, including himself, are a "demographic
      sword of Damocles" hanging over the necks of younger
      generations.

      Scientists generally agree that human life can be extended,
      but are divided about how much. Optimists hope a
      breakthrough in the next 30 years will extend human life to
      150 years or more, but conservatives believe life will be
      extended slowly, as a side effect of regenerative drugs.

      The investment community is taking note.

      Steve Jurvetson, a partner at the venture-capital firm
      Draper Fisher Jurvetson, is scouting out ways to get into
      the field. He believes that within 30 years, people will
      live 120 to 140 years.

      His partner, Tim Draper, has invested privately in a
      Sunnyvale firm, Layton Bioscience, which is refining a
      process of cell regeneration to cure brain damage after a
      stroke. Layton CEO Gary Snable said the work is directly
      applicable to extending age. This week, Layton is expected
      to close a $30 million round of funding.

      Generating big money

      Big-name venture firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers has
      invested in publicly traded Geron. And Peter Friedli has
      invested in Osiris Therapeutics, which works with adult
      stem cells.

      This month, Friedli joined Oracle to invest in Myriad
      Genetics, which researches the human proteome. It is
      Oracle's first foray into biotech.

      However, researchers say Ellison's money is the most
      crucial because it seeds research at the earliest stages.

      "Ellison's money has been extremely important," said
      Thomas Johnson, a University of Colorado geneticist who is
      trying to extend the lifespan of mice.

      Ellison has shown a lifelong fascination with science and
      age.

      Born to an unwed mother in 1944, Ellison was adopted by
      relatives and raised in a middle-class Jewish home in
      Chicago. A friend's father, a chemical researcher, became a
      role model. Ellison applied for medical school but never
      went.

      Ellison later met Nobel laureate Joshua Lederberg. They
      schmoozed most of the night at Ellison's villa in Atherton,
      talking mostly about biotech, Lederberg said. Lederberg
      then invited Ellison to his lab for a two-week "vacation"
      handling DNA in strains of bacteria -- "so he could get his
      hands dirty," Lederberg said.

      Ellison's adoptive mother died of cancer when he was in
      college. He said later that he didn't tell anyone about it
      for years.

      Later, Robert Miner, co-founder of Oracle, also died of
      cancer at 52. Ellison pretended Miner didn't have cancer or
      wouldn't have it for long, according to those close to him.

      "He was getting to an age when he was feeling vulnerable,"
      said Lederberg.

      Ellison insisted on keeping Miner on the payroll, according
      to Wilson's 1997 biography, "The Difference Between God and
      Larry Ellison."

      "Dad and Larry were both into living forever, the Fountain
      of Youth kind of stuff," said Nicola Miner, his daughter,
      in the Wilson biography. "I think that my dad's illness
      really freaked him out. My dad always said that Larry had a
      hard time facing his own mortality."

      When Ellison was told of Miner's death, he reportedly
      demanded proof.

      "It doesn't make any sense to me," Ellison later told
      Wilson. "Death has never made any sense to me. How can a
      person be there and then just vanish, just not be there?
      Clearly the reason they're not there is they're off doing
      something else. Like Bob was. . . . Death makes me very
      angry. Premature death makes me angrier still."

      Obsession with youth

      Every aspect of Ellison's life is youth-oriented, Wilson
      said, from physical fitness and a penchant for carrot juice
      to a love of cars and women and a nose job at an early age.

      Some say his obsession with youth has spilled into the
      workplace. Ellison is being sued for age discrimination by
      Randy Baker, a former Oracle executive. Baker, who is 55 --
      the same age as Ellison -- contends Ellison made several
      derogatory comments about age and older workers.

      Baker was demoted, replaced by a manager who is about 40,
      and then fired. Ellison's attorneys would not comment on
      the pending case.

      Ellison's investments into age research have slowly grown.
      He funded research at the University of California on DHEA,
      a hormone some believe could retard aging. Through his
      private venture fund, Tako Ventures, he has made
      investments in several other biotech companies.

      Centenarians studied

      One was Aeiveos -- named after Greek words for "forever"
      and "young" -- founded by Robert Bradbury, an early
      employee at Oracle. Aeiveos studied the genetic codes of
      centenarians, those who live to the ripe old age of 100 and
      more.

      But soon it became clear that without a basic scientific
      breakthrough, profits were elusive, observers said. Ellison
      installed his former employee to run the company despite
      little knowledge of the field, some said. Bradbury, a
      Harvard dropout, is an Extropian, a group of believers in
      the idea that genetic engineering will prolong life.

      "I find it intriguing," said Johnson, the scientist, "that
      Larry Ellison was bankrolling them, but unlike his
      astuteness in running computer engineering, he ignored
      people who knew what was going on in the field he was
      funding."

      Ellison has committed $20 million a year to aging research
      through a newly created Ellison Medical Foundation. As of
      January, the foundation is investing $45 million a year,
      $25 million of which is to fight global infectious disease.

      Ellison put Lederberg on the board, and recruited another
      big player: Richard Sprott, former director of the Biology
      of Aging program at the National Institute of Aging.

      Sprott said Ellison is "hands-on" in funding decisions.
      But some say Lederberg and Sprott have reined him in.

      "I think Ellison is more interested in the radical
      stuff," says Max More, president of the Extropy Institute,
      who has kept close tabs on funding in the field.

      The foundation funds scores of academics studying aging, to
      get them to the stage where government or venture-capital
      funding can take over.

      Several of the researchers Ellison has funded are now
      seeking to turn profits. One is Cynthia Kenyon, who
      extended the lifespan of worms 300 percent. She has teamed
      up with an associate of Arch Venture Capital, Cindy Bayley,
      to form a company called Elixir.

      Meanwhile, profits or no profits, the world -- and Ellison
      -- will have to be patient.

      "Even if the Fountain of Youth is discovered," Lederberg
      said, "it will be 10 years before anyone got any benefit."
      Contact Matt Marshall at mmarshall@... or (408) 920-5920.

      *****

      PTPEET@...

      http://www.hightimes.com/News/2001_05/notwar.tpl

      CHEMICAL WARFARE
      FILED 05/09/01

      One officer stepped forward and sprayed OC pepper spray
      directly
      into the face of one kid, who fell writhing to the
      ground, blind and
      choking.

      NEW YORK CITY--"It was the most powerful and
      inspirational marijuana
      rally I've been to. It's the first year we actually stood
      up and
      said to the cops, 'hey, get the fuck out,'" said Josh
      Twelve of
      White Plains, NY.

      Twelve's friend Nick Rie was one of numerous victims of
      brutal
      behavior by New York City police May 5, at the "2001: A
      Space
      Odyssey" pot- legalization protest. Scores of undercover
      narcs
      invaded the crowd, arresting both pot-smokers and people
      trying to
      warn pot-smokers, and riot-geared cops pepper-sprayed a
      group
      protesting one bust.

      "I have seen skirmishes before at pot rallies," HT senior
      editor
      Steve Bloom, who was pepper-sprayed on the neck, told
      indymedia.org.
      "But I've never seen anything as bad as what I saw on
      Saturday. It
      was absolutely appalling."

      City police told the media that there were only 30
      arrests, but a
      NYPD spokesperson later told HIGH TIMES that there had
      been 193
      busts, seven for resisting arrest and the rest
      for "criminal
      possession of marijuana." Many were apparently jailed for
      pointing
      out narcs, lawyer Tom Hilgartner told HT. Dana Beal of
      Cures-Not-Wars, organizer of the event, told
      indymedia.org that 66
      of the arrests had been for "obstructing governmental
      administration," a catchall misdemeanor charge police
      often use when
      they want a pretext to arrest people at demonstrations.

      "I saw numerous people led away in plastic cuffs by both
      uniformed
      and undercover cops for alerting other protesters of the
      police
      presence, and for saying things the cops didn't like,"
      says HT
      reporter Preston Peet.

      Starting with a medical-marijuana/ibogaine teach-in
      outside
      Washington Square Park, the march, organized by Cures-Not-
      Wars--and
      one of over 130 pot protests worldwide May 5--began at
      Houston
      Street and Broadway at 1 PM. Though the crowd was smaller
      than last
      year's--and not nearly as open about toking up along the
      parade
      route--it was much more vocal, waving banners and signs
      like
      "Marijuana is Good Medicine," "End the Prison State"
      and "Queers for
      Weed." They chanted "Fuck Giuliani" and "We Smoke Pot and
      We Like It
      a Lot."

      Hundreds of uniformed cops on foot and on motorscooters
      hemmed the
      parade in, a police presence typical of both Mayor
      Rudolph
      Giuliani's antiprotest and antipot policies. Last year,
      there were
      70,000 pot busts in the city, one out of every 10 in the
      entire
      country.

      "I'm here with 25 friends, to support the use of
      marijuana for both
      medical and recreational purposes," said Bob Wiggins of
      Manville,
      NJ. Armed with a small bullhorn, he exuberantly led
      a "Fire
      Giuliani, Fire Up a Joint!" chant. Minutes later, while
      leading the
      crowd in "hey, hey, ho, ho, these fucking cops have got
      to go,"
      Wiggins, his girlfriend, and a 16-year- old girl from
      Pennsylvania
      were grabbed out of the line by a mob of cops who pushed
      and shoved
      marchers.

      "I said, 'If you do anything to that kid, I'm his
      witness,' and they
      pushed me," the girl told HT later. She responded by
      calling one cop
      a "fucking pig," and was arrested for obstructing
      governmental
      administration. "I didn't have any pot on me," she
      says. "I'm five
      foot and 100 pounds, and about ten cops threw me to the
      ground." She
      was kept in jail for 48 hours without being fed, she
      adds.

      The busts escalated once the parade reached Battery Park
      and the
      rally began, in a crowd police estimated at 1,200 and
      organizers at
      5,000 to 12,000. Cops chased one protester, Geoffrey
      Bloom of
      Berkeley, CA, onto the stage, then pulled him off and
      slammed him to
      the ground when he tried to get away. He had been
      pointing out
      narcs.

      "It was insane that they would dare to come on the stage
      in the
      middle of a First Amendment-protected event," says Steve
      Bloom (no
      relation). "That was disgraceful. It set the tone for the
      day."

      Without the police presence, the rally would have been
      pretty
      peaceful, a multiracial assemblage of hip-hoppers,
      hippies and
      ravers passing joints and blunts under the springtime
      sun. But the
      cops' repeated forays into the crowd provoked a near-riot
      atmosphere. As they hustled bust victims toward the paddy
      wagon,
      crowds of protesters followed them, shouting and
      occasionally trying
      to grab the prisoners away.

      "People are getting collared all over, being stupid," a
      blonde woman
      narc told HT, blaming her arresting people on the
      speakers on stage
      telling people to be safe if smoking.

      She and her male partner were soon after involved in the
      arrest of
      Rie, who according to Twelve, observed one of the
      officers yanking
      on a young woman's hair, and loudly derided them. The
      officers
      grabbed him and began dragging the shirtless young man
      through the
      crowd, attracting the attention of a few hundred
      attendees. As the
      number of cops manhandling Rie grew, so too did the
      crowd, chanting
      "NARCS OUT OF THE PARK" and following behind until the
      cops pushed
      the struggling Rie face down in the dirt, under a pile of
      undercover
      narcs.

      Police tried to shove the angry crowd back, as people
      yelled "fuck
      you" and "41 shots." One officer stepped forward and
      sprayed OC
      pepper spray directly into the face of one kid, who fell
      writhing to
      the ground, blind and choking. Waving his can like a
      pistol back and
      forth over the kid, the cop then tried to hold back
      anyone trying to
      assist. One dreadlocked black man reached the stricken
      young man,
      only to be shoved back by the spray-wielding officer.
      When the Rasta
      insisted on attempting to help the kid, the cop let loose
      with a
      blast directly into his face. The police then sprayed
      everyone
      within a 10-foot radius, including HT editors Steven
      Wishnia and
      Steve Bloom.

      "I was taking pictures about five to ten feet away, and
      this cop
      pointed a can at me and just went 'PSSSSHH' directly in
      the right
      side of my face," says Wishnia. "Good thing I wear
      glasses, or a lot
      more would have gotten in my eye. I was pretty
      incapacitated for
      about 15 minutes." HT reporter Peet says that when he
      told police
      that he was press, "one cop shoved me back, told me 'no,
      you
      aren't,' and that if I didn't stop taking photos, I'd 'be
      next.'"

      Back at the main stage, the Unknown Legends rapped and
      the Cannabis
      Cup Band played a long set, the reggae jams a peaceful
      contrast to
      the day's near-riot vibe. Speakers included anti-
      Rockefeller- law
      activist Randy Credico, Green and Libertarian
      representatives, and
      Lou Palmer of VoterMarch.org, an organizer of the
      protests against
      George W. Bush's inauguration.

      Dana Beal told the crowd that the good news was that the
      number of
      arrests was less than last year's 312, due to people
      pointing out
      narcs. The bad news, he said, was that so many had been
      busted for
      doing that.

      by The HighWitness News Team, Special to HighWitness News

      If you are interested in a free subscription to The
      Konformist Newswire, please visit:

      http://www.eGroups.com/list/konformist

      Or, e-mail konformist-subscribe@egroups.com with the
      subject: "I NEED 2 KONFORM!!!"

      (Okay, you can use something else, but it's a kool
      catch phrase.)