    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2001

      Autobiography of an Anarchist
      Sat, 5 May 2001
      Bureau of Public Secrets <knabb@...>

      Selections from Kenneth Rexroth's autobiography are now online at
      http://www.slip.net/~knabb/rexroth/autobio

      Born in 1905 and orphaned at the age of twelve, Rexroth spent most of
      his
      teenage years in Chicago, where he worked as a newspaper reporter and
      helped
      run a jazz coffee house, mingling with the musicians, artists,
      writers,
      radicals and eccentrics of the roaring twenties.

      Disillusioned with the Bolsheviks, he became an anarchist and was for
      several years an active member of the IWW. In his late teens he began
      hitching all over the country, working in the Far West as a cowboy
      cook and
      wrangler and at various farm and forestry jobs and camping in the
      mountains.

      Along the way he met Emma Goldman, Eugene Debs, Louis Armstrong,
      Clarence
      Darrow, D.H. Lawrence, Alexander Berkman, Sacco and Vanzetti, and an
      astonishing variety of others -- anarchists, Communists, Wobblies,
      dadaists,
      surrealists, occultists, prostitutes, gangsters, cops, judges,
      jailers,
      hoboes, hillbillies, lumberjacks, cowboys, Indians...

      In 1927 he moved to San Francisco, where his work in labor, civil
      rights and
      antiwar struggles, his founding of the Libertarian Circle, and his
      writings,
      radio programs and public poetry readings helped lay the foundation
      for the
      San Francisco Renaissance of the 1950s and 1960s.

      * * *

      The Bureau of Public Secrets website features writings by Ken Knabb
      (recently collected in the book "Public Secrets"), Knabb's
      translations from
      the Situationist International (the notorious avant-garde group that
      helped
      trigger the May 1968 revolt in France), and the Rexroth Archive
      (texts by
      and about the great writer and social critic Kenneth Rexroth).

      BUREAU OF PUBLIC SECRETS
      PO Box 1044, Berkeley CA 94701, USA
      http://www.slip.net/~knabb
      knabb@...

      *****

      Correspondence with a Journalism Student
      Thu, 3 May 2001
      Thomas, Kenneth F. <kennthomas@...>

      Hello,

      I am a journalism student at the University of ------. I came across
      your
      site (www.steamshovelpress.com) on a search engine, and I found it
      extremely
      interesting. I especially liked the graphic of "the satanic torch has
      been
      passed." Your site prompted me to write a piece on the "allure" of
      conspiracy theory movements. If you have a few minutes, I would really
      appreciate it if you would answer these questions for me:

      - When did you first get involved with conspiracy theory? Why?
      - Is it possible to describe why you/your friends/colleagues/peers
      are
      attracted to conspiracy theory/conspiracy theory organizations?
      - What kind of environment did you grow up in?
      - What was your family like? Did anyone in your family believe in any
      conspiracy theories? If so, did they inspire you?
      - How would you describe yourself? Your personality?
      - What benefits do conspiracy theories bring to society? Are there
      any
      detriments?

      If you have any other comments or suggestions, please let me know.
      Thanks so much, and again, you have an awesome site!

      a Journalism student
      Dear Journalism Student,

      "Conspiracy theory" is a label applied by mainstream journalists to
      information and analysis that is not derived from police, government
      or
      other official sources. I write about "parapolitics", which involves
      information that does not neatly fit into legal cases and official
      explanations. I have a perfectly normal family life. No one in my
      immediate
      family shares my interests other than to listen to me talk or to read
      my
      work. My fellow "conspiracy theorists" are all independent thinkers
      with
      senses of humor. They are not obsessed or even eccentric, but simply
      take a
      common sense approach to reality versus the distortions of the
      corporate
      owned media, which is the real social detriment. You should be very
      careful
      about seeing interest in "conspiracy theory" as a social pathology.
      I'm sure
      your professors at the University of ------ encourage this, but it is
      really
      a subtle form of social control.

      All the best,

      Kenn Thomas
      Steamshovel Press
      www.steamshovelpress.com

      Mr. Thomas,

      Thank you for your response. The reason I chose to try to conquer
      such a
      topic actually had nothing to do with my professors. My interest in
      this was
      sparked when I attended a local "conspiracy theorist" meeting. I
      asked them
      similar questions I asked you. They also showed me that the
      stereotype of
      "crazy conspiracy theorists" can be disproved. They are an extremely
      intelligent group of people, and I plan to attend more of their
      gatherings,
      simply because I have a personal interest in "parapolitics."

      Your response helped me define some ignorance on my part. I was simply
      trying to relate their backgrounds (definitively "normal") to yours.
      In
      doing that, I will admit I may have been too abrupt with my
      questioning. I
      apologize- I did not mean to insinuate that you are a sociopath or
      have any
      mental disorders whatsoever.

      By the way, I do believe that the media is controlled and I plan to
      explore
      this in my piece. Social conditioning plays a huge role in this, and
      I hope
      to unearth some answers.

      Thank you again for your time,
      j student

      *****

      Former FBI Director Loses Lawsuit against OKC
      Bombing Author
      David Hoffman" <hafreepr@...>

      It seems Oliver "Buck" Revell, former Deputy Director of the FBI,
      just lost
      his multi-million dollar libel lawsuit against reporter David Hoffman
      and
      and his funder, the non-profit Americans for Responsible Media. Revell
      contended that Hoffman libeled him in his book, The Oklahoma City
      Bombing
      and the Politics of Terror, by alleging that Revell pulled his son
      off of
      Pan Am 103 before it blew up over Lockerbie, Scotland - being privvy
      inside information. Revell also sued Gene Wheaton, a former Army CID
      and
      Christic Institute investigator for alleging that Revell approached
      him in
      the mid-80s to create a "death squad" with White House deniability to
      eliminate "enemies of the state". Revell also was getting ready to
      allege
      that Hoffman was about to libel him in his new book, Murdergate! The
      Presidency, the U.S. Government and the Politics of Murder, to be
      released
      by Penmarin Books this winter. A federal judge in Oklahoma did not
      agree.

      The fact is, Revell was FBI "point man" for Oliver North and his
      cronies
      during their drug and gun running frenzy of the mid to late '80s, and
      is
      alleged to have been involved in many government scandals and cover-
      ups,
      includng the bombing of an Arrow Air jet at Gander, Newfoundland which
      killed 248 U.S. servicemen and women.

      For more information, contact Hoffman's attorney, Mike Johnston, at
      405-235-4074.
      --
      David Hoffman
      Photojournalism/Investigative Journalism

      *****

      U.S. Voted Out of U.N. Rights Group

      By EDITH LEDERER
      .c The Associated Press

      UNITED NATIONS (AP) - The United States lost its seat Thursday on the
      top
      U.N. human rights body for the first time since the commission was
      formed in
      1947.

      The 53-member U.N. Human Rights Commission, which usually meets in
      Geneva,
      makes recommendations for the protection and promotion of human
      rights,
      either on its own initiative or at the request of the General
      Assembly or the
      Security Council.

      Regional groups at the United Nations nominate candidates for the
      commission
      and the United States came in last among the four candidates
      nominated for
      three seats in its group, after France, Austria and Sweden.

      In the balloting, France got 52 votes, Austria 41 votes, Sweden 32
      votes and
      the United States 29 votes.

      ``It was an election, understandably, where we're very
      disappointed,'' acting
      U.S. Ambassador James Cunningham said after the vote. ``This won't at
      all, of
      course, affect our commitment to human rights issues in and outside
      of the
      United Nations. We'll continue to pursue them.''

      U.N. Human Rights Commissioner Mary Robinson expressed hope the
      United States
      ``will return speedily as a member of the commission,'' spokesman
      Jose Luis
      Diaz said in a statement released in Geneva.

      ``The United States of America has made a historic contribution to
      the
      Commission on Human Rights,'' the statement said, noting that the
      first U.S.
      representative on the body, Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of President
      Franklin D.
      Roosevelt, ``helped shape the commission and its vision of an
      International
      Bill of Human Rights.''

      Election to seats on U.N. bodies usually involves intense lobbying by
      diplomats.

      The United States has been at a diplomatic disadvantage since January
      with
      the departure of Ambassador Richard Holbrooke, an appointee of former
      President Clinton.

      President Bush nominated veteran diplomat John Negroponte as U.N.
      ambassador
      in March, but his nomination has not yet been sent to the Senate.

      The United States has been in the forefront of efforts to condemn the
      human
      rights records of China, Cuba and other countries at the commission's
      Geneva
      meetings.

      Cunningham refused to speculate on whether the U.S. ouster from the
      commission was the result of growing anger against the United States
      for
      taking too many unilateral positions on issues such as a national
      missile
      defense shield and pulling out of the 1997 Kyoto treaty to curb
      global
      warning.

      ``We had too many candidates for too few seats,'' he said. ``I don't
      want to
      speculate on what might have been the motives underlying the outcome
      of the
      election.''

      France lost its seat in 1977 and Britain was voted off in both 1977
      and 1991.

      Other countries elected to the commission were Bahrain, South Korea
      and
      Pakistan from the Asia Group, and Croatia and Armenia from the
      Eastern Europe
      Group. The Latin America Group selected Chile and Mexico without a
      vote, and
      the African Group chose Sierra Leone, Sudan, Togo and Uganda, also
      without a
      vote.

      Asked whether it was awkward for the United States to have lost when
      Sudan
      had been chosen for a commission seat, Cunningham refused to comment.

      ``We're disappointed in the outcome. We very much wanted to serve on
      the
      commission. I'll leave it at that for the time being,'' he said.

      AP-NY-05-03-01 1637EDT

      *****

      Rayelan <rayelan@...>

      Rumor Mill News Forum

      http://www.rumormillnews.net/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=9005

      AMEND. TO ABOLISH TAXES INTRODUCED IN HOUSE 4/25!

      Posted By: Esclarmonde
      Wednesday, 2 May 2001

      http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:H.J.RES.45:

      AMENDMENT TO ABOLISH PERSONAL INCOME TAX...PROPOSED IN HOUSE LAST
      WEEK.
      WRITE/CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN. TELL HIM YOU SUPPORT 'HJ 45 IH'

      Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States
      relative to
      abolishing personal income, estate, and gift taxes and prohibiting
      the United
      States Government from engaging... (Introduced in the House)

      HJ 45 IH

      107th CONGRESS

      1st Session

      H. J. RES. 45
      Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States
      relative to
      abolishing personal income, estate, and gift taxes and prohibiting
      the United
      States Government from engaging in business in competition with its
      citizens.

      IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

      April 25, 2001
      Mr. PAUL introduced the following joint resolution; which was
      referred to
      the Committee on the Judiciary

      --------
      --

      JOINT RESOLUTION
      Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States
      relative to
      abolishing personal income, estate, and gift taxes and prohibiting
      the United
      States Government from engaging in business in competition with its
      citizens.

      Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United
      States of
      America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring
      therein),
      That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the
      Constitution of
      the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes
      as part
      of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-
      fourths of the
      several States within seven years after the date of its submission for
      ratification:

      `Article--

      `SECTION 1. The Government of the United States shall not engage in
      any
      business, professional, commercial, financial, or industrial
      enterprise
      except as specified in the Constitution.

      `SECTION 2. The constitution or laws of any State, or the laws of
      the
      United States, shall not be subject to the terms of any foreign or
      domestic
      agreement which would abrogate this amendment.

      `SECTION 3. The activities of the United States Government which
      violate
      the intent and purposes of this amendment shall, within a period of
      three
      years from the date of the ratification of this amendment, be
      liquidated and
      the properties and facilities affected shall be sold.

      `SECTION 4. Three years after the ratification of this amendment the
      sixteenth article of amendments to the Constitution of the United
      States
      shall stand repealed and thereafter Congress shall not levy taxes on
      personal
      incomes, estates, and/or gifts.'

      RMNews, The Uncensored National Rumor
      http://www.rumormillnews.com
      THE ONLY RUMOR YOU CAN TRUST

      RUMOR MILL NEWS AGENCY
      P.O. BOX 1784
      APTOS, CA 95001
      TEL 831 462 3949
      FAX 831 462 2545

      WHY WAS PRINCESS DIANA MURDERED?
      http://www.dianaqueenofheaven.com

      *****

      Doing Time
      Inside the U.S. prison-industrial complex

      By Rob Larson

      The United States and the world may be headed for an economic
      slowdown, but
      the picture isn't all ugly. Our heads of industry and commerce are
      taking
      positive steps to turn the state of the economy into a way of
      generating
      more jobs. How?

      Since 1980, the U.S. prison population has been skyrocketing, and now
      stands at an enormous 2 million incarcerated, with millions more on
      parole
      or probation. This is by far the highest proportion of incarcerated
      citizens in the industrialized world, accounting for almost 25
      percent of
      the prisoners of the entire world. Meanwhile, U.S. crime rates have
      been
      stable and in some cases have declined. Most of the huge increase in
      inmates is due to increasingly harsh sentencing for drug possession --
      not
      distribution, mind you, but possession. These new inmates are also
      disproportionately African-American (surprise!) and have little or no
      history of violence.

      The motives for this dramatic but mostly unnoticed social change are
      the
      usual ones. Kevin Mannix, the Oregon State Representative for the
      Nike
      corporation, has spoken highly of the use of prison labor: "We
      propose that
      [Nike] take a look at their transportation costs and their labor
      costs,
      adding "We could offer [competitive] prison inmate labor."

      Mannix is not alone in his opinion -- the business world is full of
      optimism about the rising prison population, which represents to them
      a new
      easily exploited class of workers, like the Third World only without
      the
      pesky transportation costs. From 1980 to 1994, prison industry sales
      have
      exploded from $392 million to $1.31 billion, according to the
      Correctional
      Industries Association and the Justice Department.

      Prison laborers are often paid around 50 cents an hour for their
      work, with
      refusal punishable in many ways, including loss of socialization
      privileges. And while federal law still has an irritating constraint
      saying
      prison laborers must be paid prevailing wages if their product is
      sold
      domestically, if the product is shipped overseas the law doesn't
      apply, the
      result being that California- and Oregon-based companies export
      inmate-manufactured clothing to China and other Asian countries.

      A few interesting conclusions can be drawn from this information.
      First,
      the criticism of China's extensive prison labor system is total
      hypocrisy
      -- the U.S. government is happily contracting out its own inmates to
      U.S.
      corporations for cheap labor, offering similar justifications
      like "job
      training" for inmates. In China, refusal to work means solitary
      confinement. In the U.S., a much freer country, prisoners lose
      privileges,
      face longer sentences, and sometimes endure solitary confinement for
      not
      working.

      The astronomical increase in the prison population is not too
      surprising,
      given the economic policies pursued by both Democratic and Republican
      political officials. They have had the effect of concentrating wealth
      very
      strongly in the hands of the wealthiest classes in the U.S., like the
      richest 1 percent of U.S. households that owns 49 percent of the
      nation's
      wealth and is gaining more. This money has to come from somewhere,
      and it
      comes from the middle and working classes. The obvious consequence is
      that
      people in those social classes become more desperate and are driven
      more
      and more to crime and desperation, sometimes finding escape in drugs -
      - for
      which they can be incarcerated, in some states, for longer sentences
      than
      rape.

      These ugly, if rarely discussed, facts show the priorities of our
      economy
      with strong clarity. In the U.S., as in any society that forces the
      free
      market ideology on its people (but not on its wealthy classes), the
      supreme
      human value, the one that determines your worth in the world and the
      degree
      of comfort you will achieve in your life, is your ability to make
      money for
      the powerful. The fact is that if you have no marketable skills
      (meaning,
      if you can't assist the super-wealthy in making additional money),
      then you
      are worthless, in the very real sense that you will be unable to pay
      support yourself or your family. Well, people who can't help commerce
      run
      smoothly have to be diverted or distracted somehow, and the American
      prison
      system is an ideal way, as people who become desperate and destitute
      can be
      stuffed in there and then used as slave labor, so that they can find
      satisfaction in contributing to the economy after all.

      This strategy has become so successful that industrial corporations
      are
      looking at prison construction as a new way of making profits from
      public
      money, which is the main function of the Pentagon and the
      military-industrial complex. This has prompted many people to speak
      against
      the new "prison-industrial complex," which is a great institution for
      the
      wealthy and powerful but less spectacular for the poor and working-
      class
      men and women who become trapped in it.

      These and other similar developments are completely natural to a
      society
      like ours, where you must contribute to wealth creation in order to
      remain
      alive. The ultimate effects of this kind of economic structure are
      the
      prison-industrial complex and other such institutions. And
      unfortunately,
      in the economy there's no possibility of a jail break.

      *****

      Seabirds still not recovered from Exxon oil spill

      Contact: Claire Bowles claire.bowles@... 44-207-331-2751 New
      Scientist

      New Scientist issue: 5th May 2001

      Alaska's oil spill may still be hitting wildlife hard

      MOST seabird populations hit by the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska
      have
      still to show signs of recovery over a decade after the disaster, say
      scientists from the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Their findings
      flatly
      contradict the claims of both Exxon, the oil company responsible for
      the
      spill, and other researchers who say that all affected species are
      well on
      the road to recovery, if not back to normal.

      David Irons and colleagues in Anchorage surveyed seabird populations
      over
      eight years in Prince William Sound, scene of the 1989 spill. Of 17
      taxa
      whose numbers were hit by the spill, he found that four showed only
      a "weak
      to very weak" recovery from the disaster. Nine "showed no evidence of
      recovery", while four continued to show signs of being increasingly
      affected
      by the pollution from the spill.

      Seabirds that don't seem to be recovering include cormorants, various
      gulls,
      grebes, terns and murres, a kind of guillemot hardest hit by the
      spill. Most
      of the 30,000 oil-covered carcasses collected in the months after the
      spill
      were murres. "Densities of pigeon guillemots in oiled areas are still
      going
      down in summer," says Irons.

      However, Exxon, now part of ExxonMobil, which has been involved in
      lengthy
      litigation since the disaster, says that "the environment in Prince
      William
      Sound is healthy, robust and thriving". Its claims are backed in part
      by the
      findings of John Wiens of the University of Colorado, another leading
      analyst of the spill's aftermath. He has recently concluded that "all
      of the
      impacted species show strong evidence of recovery".

      Wiens has said that "preconceptions that oil spills are bad can
      easily lead
      to one adopting an advocacy position in which science suffers". But
      Irons
      disputes Wiens's methodology. He says Wiens uses a relatively tough
      test for
      showing birds have suffered after the spill, and a less demanding
      standard
      for identifying recovery. "The burden of proof is placed on the data
      establish injury, but not recovery," he says.

      Irons believes that birds are still suffering because food in the
      intertidal
      zone and shallow waters near the shore, such as mussels, is still
      contaminated with oil. Populations of other prey species are still
      much
      lower than before the spill, Irons says. For instance, Pacific
      herring and
      clams "had not recovered by 2000".

      ExxonMobil argues that it is unreasonable to expect all bird
      populations to
      recover because there are other environmental changes affecting the
      numbers.
      "For example, average summer water temperatures have increased in the
      last
      10 years at least three to four degrees above the historical
      average," says
      the company.

      But Irons believes the oil spill is still to blame. "Lingering
      effects of
      the spill and natural variability appear to be acting in concert in
      delaying
      recovery of the bird populations," he says.

      ###

      Author: Fred Pearce More at: Marine Pollution Bulletin (vol 42, p 298)

      If you are interested in a free subscription to The
      Konformist Newswire, please visit:

      http://www.eGroups.com/list/konformist

      Or, e-mail konformist-subscribe@egroups.com with the
      subject: "I NEED 2 KONFORM!!!"

      (Okay, you can use something else, but it's a kool
      catch phrase.)