Why Don't We All Just Cut the Crap Right Now

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2001

      Michael Moore <mikemail@...>

      Why Don't We All Just Cut the Crap Right Now

      May 1, 2001

      Dear friends,

      Well, 101 days into the Junta and the fear mongers are having a
      heyday,
      aren't they? Even good liberals and Democrats have joined in the
      mantra.
      To listen to them, you'd think George W. Bush had opened the gates of
      hell
      and unleashed the legions of Satan upon the American people.

      These good people actually believe Junior has put the arsenic back in
      the
      water, given the go-ahead to spew massive CO2 emissions into the air,
      torn
      up our national forests, and raped the Alaskan wilderness. With all
      the
      fury that has been whipped up, I'm sure any minute we'll also hear
      that
      Baby Face Bush recently held up a 7-11 in Denver, and now plans to
      release
      bubonic plague into the atmosphere over Ohio.

      Now, don't get me wrong. There's no doubt that this illegal squatter
      in the
      Oval Office is not to be trusted farther than you can throw Katherine
      Harris. But, please, let's cut the crap and tell the truth: George
      W. Bush
      has done little more than CONTINUE the policies of the last eight
      years of
      the Clinton/Gore administration. As hard as that is for many to
      swallow,
      that is the truth -- and the sooner you stop the scare campaign, the
      sooner
      we'll be able to fight Bush in a way that will stop him for good.

      For eight long years, Clinton/Gore resisted all efforts and
      recommendations
      to reduce the carbon dioxide in the air and the arsenic in the water.
      Just
      last October, Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle and sixteen other
      Democrats successfully led the way to STOP any reduction of arsenic
      in the
      water. Why? Because Clinton and the Democrats were beholden to the
      very
      industries who had financed their campaigns --- and who were
      responsible
      for high levels of arsenic in the water.

      On top of that, Clinton/Gore became the first administration in
      twenty
      years NOT to demand higher fuel efficiency standards from Detroit.
      Millions
      of barrels of oil that did not need to be refined and spewed out into
      our
      air were guzzled unnecessarily. It wasn't that way under Reagan. His
      administration ordered that cars had to get more miles per gallon.
      Under
      Bush I, the standards were made even stricter. Under Clinton -- zip.
      Nothing. How many more people will die from cancer, how much faster
      will
      global warming be sped up thanks to Bill and Al being in cahoots with
      one
      of their chief patrons, the top lobbyist for the Big 3 auto
      companies --
      Mr. Andrew Card, currently the chief of staff for the man occupying
      the
      federal land at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue? Am I the only one who
      remembers
      one of the most lavish inaugural parties thrown for Clinton after his
      election? The host: General Motors and its man-about-town in DC,
      Andrew Card.

      Yes, there is a difference between the Democrats and the Republicans.
      The
      Democrats say one thing ("Save the planet!"), and then do another,
      quietly
      and behind the scenes with all the bastards who make this world a
      dirtier
      place. The Republicans just come right out and give the bastards a
      corner
      office in the West Wing. In some ways, maybe it's better we see the
      evil
      out in the open rather than covered up in a liberal sheep's clothing
      that
      seems to fool a lot of people.

      Bill Clinton waited until the final days of his presidency to
      suddenly sign
      a number of presidential decrees and regulations to improve our
      environment
      and create safer working conditions. It was the ultimate cynical
      move. Wait
      'til the last 48 hours of your term to finally do the right thing so
      that
      your "legacy" will be improved. Every one of these regulations Bush
      has
      "overturned" was signed by Clinton in December and January. And
      that's ALL
      he did -- sign worthless pieces of paper.

      Do you believe Clinton removed the arsenic from the water? Not only
      did he
      NOT do that, not only did he make us drink arsenic-laced water for
      the last
      8 years, this order he signed stipulated that the arsenic was not to
      be
      removed from the water "until 2004." That's right. Look it up.
      Clinton's
      big environmental do-good act in the last minutes of his term
      guaranteed
      that we would be drinking the same levels of arsenic we've been
      drinking
      since 1942 -- the last time a REAL Democrat had the guts to stand up
      the mining interests and reduce the levels of this poison. The
      Canadians
      and Europeans did it long ago. Clinton made it official that we would
      all
      be drinking arsenic during the entire Bush administration. Maybe he
      was
      doing us a favor.

      And how about those COO emission regulations that Bush II overturned?
      Did I
      say "overturn?" Overturn what? All Bush did was maintain the Clinton
      status
      quo. He said, in essence, that "I'm going to pollute the air at the
      very
      same levels Clinton did during his entire eight years, just as you
      are
      going to drink the same arsenic in the water under my watch as you
      did
      under Clinton's."

      And, like the built-in three-year delay in his arsenic reductions,
      Clinton's orders on the toxic emissions in his last days specified
      that
      they were not to be totally reduced '"until 2008, per the Kyoto
      agreement."
      So, after violating the Kyoto accords he had signed by doing NOTHING
      about
      CO2 in the past few years, he then tries to look good by doing
      NOTHING
      about CO2 for another seven years! So the air that was dirty is still
      dirty
      and will remain dirty, just as Clinton had ordered.

      The list goes on and on. For eight years Clinton did NOTHING about
      carpal
      tunnel syndrome as it relates to OSHA regulations. Then, in the
      middle of
      pardoning some rich guys during his all-night kegger on January 19,
      he
      decides to finally do some good for all those women who sit at
      keyboards
      all day and who, with their crippled hands, went to the polls TWICE
      to make
      him their President.

      Friends, you are being misled and hoodwinked by a bunch of
      professional
      "liberals" who did NOTHING themselves for eight years to clean up
      these
      messes -- and now all they can do is attack people like Ralph Nader
      who has
      devoted his ENTIRE life to every single one of these issues. What
      unmitigated gall! They blame Nader for giving us Bush? I blame THEM
      for
      being Bush! They suck off the same corporate teat and they support
      stuff
      like NAFTA which, according to the Sierra Club, has DOUBLED the
      pollution
      along the Mexican border where the American factories have moved. And
      then
      they wring their hands over Bush and his "reversals!" Where is
      Orwell when
      we need him? How much slicker can the doublespeak get?

      Had Clinton done the job those of us who voted for him in 1992
      expected him
      to do, we wouldn't be in the pickle we're in. Imagine if on his first
      day
      in office over eight years ago Clinton had ordered a reduction of the
      arsenic in the drinking water -- and all of America had been drinking
      cleaner, safer water for the last eight years. Do you think there is
      any
      way in hell this Junior Bush would have been able to say, "OK,
      America,
      you've been drinking water without poison in it long enough. Time to
      go
      back to the good old days of sucking down that ol' arsenic!"? Hell
      no! The
      public -- no one -- would have stood for it. And he'd know that. He
      wouldn't even have tried it. But because Clinton waited to the last
      minute
      and never removed any of this crud from the water or the air, there
      was no
      political or popular support base for the decision. So it was easy
      for Bush
      to do what he did. He figured, you're not going to miss what you
      never had
      removed in the first place.

      Finally, a word about that order Bush issued to ban money for
      abortions
      overseas. Wrong again. Pro-choice Clinton, like the three presidents
      before
      him, had already signed an order banning any American funds to pay
      for
      abortions in foreign countries. What Bush did was to expand the order
      include cutting off any monies to foreign birth control groups that
      offer
      abortion as an alternative. Worse, yes -- but he only got away with
      it
      because our Democratic president had laid the groundwork in
      continuing the
      abortion-funds cut-off, placing his "liberal" approval on a piece of
      the
      right-wing agenda. If you give the devil a bone, he doesn't just go
      away --
      he wants the whole damn leg.

      So spare me all the hand wringing and indignant moralizing. Those who
      want
      to turn Bush into some sort of cartoon monster have an agenda -- to
      keep
      most of us from seeing the beast that they themselves have become. Of
      course they hate Ralph Nader. He's an ugly reminder that they sold
      out a
      long time ago -- and he didn't. Blame Nader, blame Bush, it's all
      part of
      the same distraction, to keep you from focusing on this one, very
      important
      fact: Republican arsenic or Democratic arsenic, it really is the
      same damn
      crap being forced down your throat.

      I am committed to changing that, either within or without the
      Democratic
      Party.

      Please feel free to pass this letter on to anyone you know who
      believes
      that Bush "overturned" what Clinton did. Thanks.

      Yours,

      Michael Moore
      mmflint@...

      P.S. Well, a miracle of sorts happened in Texas a few weeks back.
      Michael
      Moore, the inmate on death row, got a last-minute reprieve! This
      never
      happens in that kill-happy state. Thanks to all of you who wrote a
      letter
      to the Texan officials. His fate is now up in the air.

      A bill is also pending in the Texas legislature calling for a
      moratorium on
      executions -- and, surprisingly, it is receiving a lot of support.
      I'll
      keep you informed of its progress, and in the meantime, please write
      to the
      Texas House and Senate and demand its passage.

      Meanwhile, Oklahoma will execute a woman later today who was
      convicted, in
      part, on the testimony of a police forensic expert who has just been
      found
      to have falsely supplied evidence in at least a half-dozen death row
      cases
      -- including this woman's. Some of those who were the victims of this
      forensic "expert" have already been put to death. It now appears they
      may
      have been innocent. Timothy McVeigh murdered 168 Oklahomans. Today,
      the
      people of Oklahoma and its governor will murder one more.

      If you are interested in a free subscription to The
      Konformist Newswire, please visit:

      http://www.eGroups.com/list/konformist

      Or, e-mail konformist-subscribe@egroups.com with the
      subject: "I NEED 2 KONFORM!!!"

      (Okay, you can use something else, but it's a kool
      catch phrase.)