4987KN4M 08-04-06

    Aug 4, 2006

      Original classic "On the Road" to be published
      Thu Jul 27, 2006

      NEW YORK (Reuters) - Jack Kerouac's classic work "On the Road" will
      be published in its unedited original scroll version next year, New
      York publisher Viking Press said on Thursday.

      The original manuscript -- a 120-foot-long (36-metre), single-spaced
      typed scroll -- was bought in 2001 by Jim Irsay, owner of the
      Indianapolis Colts professional football team. The manuscript is
      currently on a U.S. national tour of museums and libraries.

      The story of Kerouac's alter-ego Sal Paradise travelling across
      America will be published in September next year -- 50 years after
      it was originally printed by Viking -- said Viking Publisher Paul
      Slovak.

      "It was an important part of American literary history," Slovak
      said. "This is really one of the first sustained expressions of new
      experimentation of American arts in the post-war period."

      Slovak said the upcoming version will be in hardcover. The scroll
      version includes real names of the characters, "rougher language",
      and a more "sexually frantic tone", he said.

      Kerouac's classic helped give rise to the Beat movement, a general
      term describing the underground, anti-conformist youth gathering in
      New York in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Kerouac died in 1969 at
      the age of 47.

      Kerouac wrote an initial version of "On the Road" in 1948, after he
      and friend Neal Cassady took a series of road trips across the
      United States, but it took him until September 5, 1957, to get the
      novel published, because its experimental, free form style did not
      generate much enthusiasm from publishers.

      *****

      Thanks to Jaye Beldo for the following...

      mbryan@...
      Mon, 24 Jul 2006
      Mark Bryan at Steynberg Gallery

      Hello Everyone,

      I will be presenting a new show at Steynberg Gallery. This will be a
      mix of about 1/2 political work and the other 1/2 my more fanciful
      work of wacky disturbing social comment. The work includes new
      portraits of Cheney, Rumsfeld and Uncle Sam. Also by popular demand,
      I will be bringing back "The Mad Tea Party" for those who missed it
      last year. For the proletariat we are making posters and t-shirts
      of "The Mad Tea party","Uncle Sam" and "Dick".

      "The Screaming Bunny" will be there as a gallery piece too. The
      Bunny is a video electronic stuffed toy sculpture which I made a few
      years back. (he's cute) My friend, musician/composer Garry Eister
      will be performing a theater piece that he wrote for the Bunny. A
      dark comedy of science and betrayal. (very funny)

      "The Screaming Bunny" Performances will be august 12th and 19th at
      8:00pm (it's free but there will be a "feed the Bunny hat" for the
      sympathetic)

      http://artofmarkbryan.com/index.html

      http://artofmarkbryan.com/newwork.html

      The show opens Tuesday August 1st. and runs thru August 27th.

      The reception will be Saturday, August 5th from 6:00 to 9:00pm.

      Steynberg Gallery is located at 1531 Monterey st., San Luis Obispo,
      CA.
      (805) 547-0278

      Please forward this to anyone you think might enjoy coming, thanks...

      *****

      Foremost 9/11 Whistleblower Discusses Possibility Attack Was Inside
      Job
      Edmonds agrees weight of evidence leans towards criminal complicity
      Prison Planet.com | July 24 2006

      Sibel Edmonds, a 32-year-old Turkish-American, was hired as a
      translator by the FBI shortly after the terrorist attacks of
      September 11, 2001 because of her knowledge of Middle Eastern
      languages. She was fired less than a year later in March 2002 for
      reporting shoddy work and security breaches to her supervisors that
      could have prevented those attacks.

      Edmonds appeared as a guest on the Alex Jones Show to give an update
      on her organization's progress and indicated that the preponderance
      of evidence, plus the outright cover-up surrounding 9/11 - suggests
      that criminal elements at the very apex of the US military-
      industrial complex had a direct hand in carrying out the attack.

      A partial transcript appears below.
      Alex Jones: Sibel Edmonds-- 9/11. I mean, you personally-- I mean,
      I've heard you on other shows, I've talked to you here. All these
      prominent people have come out. I mean, clearly you've said that
      elements of the government had the motive for 9/11. Arabs wouldn't
      bring down the greatest military in the world upon them. The
      majority of Arabs in major polls-- what 90% in foreign polls--
      believe it was an inside job. What I'm ask-- now half of Americans
      do in Zogby polls. I'm asking you-- I mean, clearly, where does the
      evidence point on 9/11?

      Sibel Edmonds: Well, that is the whole point, Alex. They are not
      letting out all the evidence. And since we don't have it to this
      date. It is as I was telling you, the [unintelligible] Force has
      been all classified. They also had 35 pages-- and this is according
      to Senator Graham-- the most important evidence and information on
      9/11 by the Senate and House Joint Inquiry that happened in 2002
      classified and 5 years later everything about it is classified. And
      again, you are still having people who are gagged. So this already
      points out that they don't want the evidence out. And they are
      keeping the evidence out of the public--

      Alex Jones: But even if they cut evidence out of reports, we have
      the clear evidence of Thermite in the buildings, we have clear
      evidence of C.I.A. insider trading, N.O.R.A.D. standing down, U.S.
      troops already massed in central Asia, Bush having the launch order
      two days before to attack Afghanistan. I mean, Sibel, when you put
      all that together-- I'm asking you personally-- where does all the
      evidence point?

      Sibel Edmonds: The evidence points to a massive government cover-up.

      And that raises the question of why. Now we can answer that in so
      many different ways and we can speculate, but as I said, the most
      important thing is to stay with the facts. Not the facts that the
      government claims to be the facts, but the facts that are absolutely
      undisputed.

      Alex Jones: Sibel, what I'm asking you is, in your gut, do you think
      9/11 to some extent is an inside job?

      Sibel Edmonds: Well, again, as I am telling you, I'm trying to tell
      you is, I have all the evidence of cover-up. Now, who were the
      people behind this? And why? And how? We don't have a definite
      answer. As I said, we can come up with theories, we can come up with
      speculation, but they do not--I mean, in my opinion, they are not
      facts. But also what government has been giving us, again, I don't
      consider those a total--you know-- total truth or fact either.

      Alex Jones: Would you be surprised?

      Sibel Edmonds: No. I wouldn't.

      Alex Jones: You wouldn't be surprised if elements or criminal
      elements or private contractors were involved in 9/11?

      Sibel Edmonds: No, I wouldn't be surprised.

      Alex Jones: So you wouldn't be surprised like many others, because
      of the evidence and the cover-up you've seen, if 9/11 was an inside
      job?

      Sibel Edmonds: At this point, I'd have to say no, I wouldn't be
      surprised.

      Alex Jones: Do you think the evidence is leaning towards that?

      Sibel Edmonds: Well, again, considering the level of cover-up and
      the length at which they have gone to gag people and prevent
      information-- this information from coming out, I would say yes.

      *****

      Putin plan to shut out US oil giants
      Kremlin will favour Norwegian firms to develop Barents Sea field
      after differences with Bush scupper Russia's bid to join WTO
      Conal Walsh
      Sunday July 23, 2006
      The Observer

      President Vladimir Putin is set to keep US oil companies out of a
      lucrative gas field in the latest sign of the deteriorating
      relationship between Moscow and Washington.
      The Russian leader is expected to favour Norwegian companies and
      reject bids by America's Chevron and ConocoPhillips after failing to
      secure backing from the United States for his country's attempt to
      join the World Trade Organisation.

      The tit-for-tat snub will be a blow to US companies scrambling for
      access to Russia's huge gas reserves at a time of high energy
      prices. It comes after Putin failed to resolve differences with US
      President George Bush over trade and human rights at the G8
      conference in St Petersburg last week.

      The two leaders were barbed about each other's democratic records at
      a tense G8 press conference. Putin later publicly praised Norsk
      Hydro and Statoil, the Norwegian firms that are competing with US
      companies for a role in developing the highly prized Shtokman gas
      field.

      'There is very little chance the American majors will win that
      tender now,' a Russian oil analyst said yesterday. 'Putin was hoping
      WTO membership would be wrapped up in time for St Petersburg. The
      failure to do that is a blow to his prestige.'

      A final decision on awarding the contracts - which involves
      extracting and transporting gas from Shtokman in partnership with
      Gazprom, the Russian state-controlled company - was also originally
      expected before the G8 summit but has been postponed until next
      month at the earliest.

      As well as the US and Norwegian companies, Total of France is also
      on the shortlist to develop the 3.7 trillion cubic metre gas field,
      which is located in the Barents Sea, near the Arctic Circle.

      Igor Shuvalov, a Putin aide, warned in April that the US firms'
      chances of participating in the undersea drilling project were tied
      to US support for Russia's WTO bid, although this has since been
      denied by the Kremlin.

      Last week, however, Putin singled out the Norwegian bidders for
      praise when asked by reporters about energy deposits in the Barents
      Sea.

      'You have probably heard that we are holding talks with several
      countries on the development of different fields, but companies from
      Norway are among the first on this list,' he said.

      He added: 'They don't go around with their noses in the air. They
      work objectively, very professionally.' Viktor Khristenko, the
      Russian energy minister, also praised the Norwegian firms' record on
      protecting the environment last week.

      Analysts have tipped the Kremlin to pick the Norwegian contractors
      following the recent resolution of a Barents Sea territorial dispute
      between Oslo and Moscow.

      But the Shtokman project is also important to Russia's long-term
      relations with the US, since most gas from the field is to be
      shipped to north America in the form of liquefied natural gas.
      Participation by Chevron or ConocoPhillips could help ease access to
      the US market.

      Russia has been very reluctant to allow foreign oil groups access to
      its energy reserves other than as junior partners on joint ventures
      with Gazprom. Russia supplies 25 per cent of the European Union's
      gas but has also resisted EU demands that it loosen Gazprom's
      control over the country's pipeline network.

      A dispute over gas prices earlier this year between Russia and
      Ukraine led to temporary disruptions in the flow of gas to western
      Europe and prompted Dick Cheney, the US vice president, to accuse
      Moscow of using energy as a tool of 'intimidation and blackmail'.

      But these diplomatic ructions have not extinguished the appetite of
      western investors for Russian energy stocks. Last week the oil group
      Rosneft successfully floated in London and Moscow with a $10.4bn
      placing.

      Despite its size, the IPO represents only a small fraction of
      Rosneft's total equity, and the company remains majority-controlled
      by the Russian state.

      *****

      Lance Bass of 'N Sync reveals he's gay
      7-26-6
      AP

      Lance Bass, band member of 'N Sync, says he's gay and in a "very
      stable" relationship with a reality show star. Bass, who formed 'N
      Sync with Justin Timberlake, JC Chasez, Joey Fatone and Chris
      Kirkpatrick, tells People magazine that he didn't earlier disclose
      his sexuality because he didn't want to affect the group's
      popularity.

      "I knew that I was in this popular band and I had four other guys'
      careers in my hand, and I knew that if I ever acted on it or even
      said (that I was gay), it would overpower everything," he tells the
      magazine.

      'N Sync is known for a string of hits including "Bye Bye Bye"
      and "It's Gonna Be Me." The band went on hiatus in 2002. Bass has
      also found headlines for undertaking astronaut training and failing
      to raise money for a trip into space.

      Bass says he wondered if his coming out could prompt "the end of 'N
      Sync." He explains, "So I had that weight on me of like, `Wow, if I
      ever let anyone know, it's bad.' So I just never did."

      The singer says he's in a "very stable" relationship with 32-year-
      old actor Reichen Lehmkuhl, winner of season four of CBS' "Amazing
      Race."

      Bass and Fatone, 29, are developing a sitcom pilot inspired by the
      screwball comedy "The Odd Couple," in which his character will be
      gay.

      "The thing is, I'm not ashamed — that's the one thing I went to
      say," Bass says. "I don't think it's wrong, I'm not devastated going
      through this. I'm more liberated and happy than I've been my whole
      life. I'm just happy."
      ___
      On the Net:

      http://www.people.com

      *****

      Wednesday, July 26, 2006 by Reuters
      US Gasoline at $3 Drives People Onto Buses, Trains
      by Carolyn Koo

      Gasoline prices at near-record highs are fueling a big increase in
      the number of riders on buses and trains, prompting cities around
      the country to improve their public transport systems,
      transportation agencies said on Tuesday.

      The Energy Information Administration, the U.S. government's top
      energy forecasting agency, on Monday said the average U.S. retail
      gasoline price increased 71 cents over a year ago to $3 a gallon,
      the second highest pump price ever.

      The highest price, $3.057 a gallon, came in the wake of Hurricane
      Katrina last summer. If that experience is any indication, it showed
      Americans can indeed be forced from their cars at the right price.

      "Around the time Katrina hit and the gas prices started approaching
      $3, we began to hear from our members that they were seeing large
      spikes in ridership," William Millar, president of the American
      Public Transport Association, said.

      "There were literally dozens of cities that were seeing double-digit
      increases."

      It's estimated that U.S. riders of public transport save 855 million
      gallons of gasoline a year, or $2.56 billion at current average
      prices for a gallon of regular gasoline, according to the APTA.

      The APTA and transportation agencies around the country are
      optimistic they'll continue enjoying increased ridership as gasoline
      prices go up.

      In the first quarter, as gas prices started to surge again, public
      transportation ridership rose 4.25 percent nationwide, representing
      almost 2.5 billion trips, the APTA said.

      The increase "seems to relate very largely to gas prices," Millar
      said. "Hearing anecdotally from our members about their second
      quarter numbers, it would appear that trend is continuing."

      Local Taxes To Fund Improvements

      Websites are helping to make a difference, with several transit
      systems around the nation, including Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Dallas,
      enjoying increased hits on their sites. "You might look at that as
      an indication of future business," said Millar.

      Traffic on the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) website has "gone up
      and actually spiked with the rises in gas prices," said DART
      spokesman Morgan Lyons.

      The boost in ridership has many of the country's transit systems
      looking to make improvements, with ballot initiatives asking voters
      for permission to raise local taxes for public transit or to
      continue taxes that were scheduled to end.

      For instance, Salt Lake City, where ridership is up 43 percent
      versus a year ago, is asking the public this fall for $900 million
      to add 30 miles of tracks to the city's light rail system in a
      project that is expected to cost $1.2 billion.

      Polling indicates 93 percent of voters in the area want a chance to
      vote on the initiative, with 65 percent of them saying they would
      approve the plan, according to Utah Transit Authority spokesman
      Justin Jones.

      "You have to have the demand in order to justify doing that," said
      Joan Hunter, a spokeswoman for the Fort Worth Transportation
      Authority. "I think now the interest for the first time in years is
      really high."

      *****

      Calif. Coroners Overwhelmed by Heat Deaths
      Jul 27, 2006
      By JULIANA BARBASSA
      Associated Press Writer

      SAN FRANCISCO

      There have been so many deaths from California's lingering heat wave
      that authorities in one county began stacking bodies two to a
      gurney.

      Twenty people have died in Fresno County alone, about a quarter of
      the statewide toll of 81 deaths attributed to the heat. Coroner
      Loralee Cervantes said Wednesday that decomposition was making the
      causes of death difficult to determine and the office was running
      out of space.

      Outside, the temperature on Wednesday approached 110 degrees.

      Forecasters say a slow cooling trend is under way in the region,
      with highs expected to drop a few more degrees by the weekend.

      "We're seeing some relief coming, if you can call 105 relief," said
      National Weather Service forecaster Jim Dudley. "We're inching away
      from this superhot air mass we've had over us, though it's
      tricky. ... It's hard to get those things to move."

      But across the state, the damage has been done, from fruit and nuts
      scorched on the vine to a power grid battered by the constant demand
      for electricity.

      Record electricity usage on Monday and Tuesday prompted officials to
      declare an emergency and warn of possible involuntary rolling
      blackouts. While the power supply remained adequate Wednesday, the
      hot weather, coupled with increased usage, has blown out
      transformers around the state.

      The St. Louis area and the New York City borough of Queens, also
      troubled by long-running blackouts, were slowly returning to normal
      Thursday after more than a week after weather-related power outages.

      About 46,000 homes and businesses in the St. Louis area remained
      without power Thursday morning, down from more than half a million
      after storms knocked out power last week, according to Ameren Corp.

      Missouri officials said nine deaths had been blamed on the heat and
      storms. A utility worker was also killed after touching downed power
      lines, and a man died Wednesday from burns while he tried to fix a
      generator at home that lost power.

      In Queens, the last the homes affected by a 10-day outage finally
      had power, but 60,000 residents in the borough of Staten Island were
      left in the dark for up to six hours Wednesday. Consolidated Edison
      blamed that problem on downed overhead cables.

      Other states also attributed more deaths to heat. Oklahoma officials
      said two people whose homes lacked air conditioners were the latest
      victims there, bringing to 10 the number of heat-related deaths
      since July 13.

      California's inland valleys have registered some of the highest
      temperatures during the heat wave, with highs of around 115 and lows
      of about 90 degrees.

      Actress Lindsay Lohan, 20, was overcome by the heat while filming a
      movie in 105-degree weather on Tuesday and treated at a hospital for
      overheating and dehydration, publicist Leslie Sloan Zelnick
      told "The Insider" entertainment show.

      Farmers, meanwhile, have been rushing workers to their sun-baked
      crops well before dawn so they don't have to work through afternoon
      heat.

      Even with fans and misting to keep cattle cool, experts estimate as
      much as 2 percent of the state's dairy herd may die. The surviving
      cattle are producing less _ dairy production in the state _ No. 1 in
      the nation _ was down as much as 15 percent in the past few days,
      according to the California Farm Bureau.

      It's too early to say what percentage of California crops may be
      lost.

      Tomatoes being grown for salsa, ketchup and pasta sauces were found
      split in the fields, which will make them hard to sell.

      The heat might also mean a slightly smaller harvest of wine grapes,
      said Karen Ross, president of the California Association of
      Winegrape Growers. When temperatures rise, vines stop growing to
      conserve water.

      "They're just like people," she said. "They kind of shut down when
      it gets this hot."

      *****

      Landis tests positive
      Phonak: Tour winner had high levels of testosterone
      Thursday July 27, 2006

      LONDON (AP) -- Tour de France champion Floyd Landis tested positive
      for high levels of testosterone during the race, his Phonak team
      said Thursday on its Web site, raising questions about his victory.

      The team suspended Landis, pending results of the backup "B" sample
      of his drug test, just four days after Landis stood on the victory
      podium on the Champs-Elysees, succeeding seven-time winner Lance
      Armstrong as an American winner in Paris.

      The Swiss-based Phonak team said it was notified by the UCI on
      Wednesday that Landis' sample showed "an unusual level of
      testosterone/epitestosterone" when he was tested after stage 17 of
      the race last Thursday.

      "The team management and the rider were both totally surprised of
      this physiological result," the Phonak statement said.

      Landis made a remarkable comeback in that Alpine stage, racing far
      ahead of the field for a solo win that moved him from 11th to third
      in the overall standings. He regained the leader's yellow jersey two
      days later.

      Landis rode the Tour with a degenerative hip condition that he has
      said will require surgery in the coming weeks or months.

      Arlene Landis, his mother, said Thursday that she wouldn't blame her
      son if he was taking medication to treat the pain in his injured
      hip, but "if it's something worse than that, then he doesn't deserve
      to win."

      "I didn't talk to him since that hit the fan, but I'm keeping things
      even keel until I know what the facts are," she told The Associated
      Press in a phone interview from her home in Farmersville,
      Pennsylvania. "I know that this is a temptation to every rider but
      I'm not going to jump to conclusions ... It disappoints me."

      The Phonak statement came a day after the UCI, cycling's world
      governing body, said an unidentified rider had failed a drug test
      during the Tour.

      Phonak said Landis would ask for an analysis of his backup
      sample "to prove either that this result is coming from a natural
      process or that this is resulting from a mistake."

      Landis has been suspended by his team pending the results. If the
      second sample confirms the initial finding, he will be fired, Phonak
      said.

      USA Cycling spokesman Andy Lee said that organization could not
      comment on Landis.

      "Because it's an anti-doping matter, it's USA Cycling's policy not
      to comment on that subject out of respect for the process and
      Floyd's rights," Lee said. "Right now, we have to let the process
      proceed and we can't comment on it."

      Carla O'Connell, publications and communications director for the
      U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, said: "I'll make this very brief: No
      comment."

      Under World Anti-Doping Agency regulations, a ratio of testosterone
      to epitestosterone greater than 4:1 is considered a positive result
      and subject to investigation. The threshold was recently lowered
      from 6:1. The most likely natural ratio of testosterone to
      epitestosterone in humans is 1:1.

      Testosterone is included as an anabolic steroid on WADA's list of
      banned substances, and its use can be punished by a two-year ban.

      Landis wrapped up his Tour de France win on Sunday, keeping the
      title in U.S. hands for the eighth straight year. Armstrong, long
      dogged by doping whispers and allegations, won the previous seven.
      Armstrong never has tested positive for drugs and vehemently has
      denied doping.

      Speculation that Landis had tested positive spread earlier Thursday
      after he failed to show up for a one-day race in Denmark on
      Thursday. A day earlier, he missed a scheduled event in the
      Netherlands.

      On the eve of the Tour's start, nine riders -- including pre-race
      favorites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso -- were ousted, implicated in a
      Spanish doping investigation.

      The names of Ullrich and Basso turned up on a list of 56 cyclists
      who allegedly had contact with Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes,
      who's at the center of the Spanish doping probe.