Bottles

  • tpgroleau@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 29 12:29 PM
      Hello everyone, I'm a beginner to the knotting world but have a strong interest in doing knotting on bottles. Would anyone have any suggestions. I am most troubled on how to begin the bottle. Are there knots that I should know and practice before attempting a bottle? What type/size cord is good to use? Should I start at the top or the bottom? Are there any sources that could be of help to me, books, people anything? Sorry, I know it's a lot to answer but any input would be greatly appreciated.
      Tim G
    • Cam Simmons
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 29 6:55 PM
        I have been bottle knotting for a couple of years. I find it very relaxing. Also, the results are pretty cool.

        I usually start at the widest part of the bottle by using two round turns and then beginning the half hitching. By varying the spacing and way you half hitch many different patterns can be employed. I use the "Handy Hundred" cord sold by R&W Enterprises, New Bedford, MA02746.

        From what I have learned sailors have been covering bottles since the 1600's partly to protect them and also to dress them up.

        Sent from my iPad
      • Cam Simmons
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30 8:25 AM
          With Example

          I have been bottle knotting for a couple of years.  I find it very relaxing. Also, the results are pretty cool.

          I usually start at the widest part of the bottle by using two round turns and then beginning the half hitching.  By varying the spacing and way you half hitch many different patterns can be employed.  I use the "Handy Hundred" cord sold by R&W Enterprises, New Bedford, MA02746.

          From what I have learned sailors have been covering bottles since the 1600's partly to protect them and also to dress them up.

          Sent from my iPad

        • Donna
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 30 11:42 AM
            Tim-

            I've only done one bottle so far so I'm no expert. I started from the top and added cords later on (I was using a gallon apple juice bottle). I started with larks head knots. Find an old macrame book on Amazon or a website for ideas. One suggestion: if you use a bottle with a handle; avoid the space around it and the handle itself. I did half hitches on mine for decoration but it became difficult to pick up as the hole became too small for my finger. I used cotton cord from a hardware store - not sure of the size.

            Check the photo section. I remember a posting from a demonstration that was amazing. Perhaps someone knows where to find it? I remember the cord was turquoise and the bottle was huge!

            Donna
          • davedoesknotwork
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30 12:43 PM
              Tim,
              I've got a lot of my bottles on my gallery on my website. DaveDoesKnotWork.com

              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "tpgroleau@..." <tpgroleau@...> wrote:

              > Hello everyone, I'm a beginner to the knotting world but have a strong interest in doing knotting on bottles. Would anyone have any suggestions. I am most troubled on how to begin the bottle. Are there knots that I should know and practice before attempting a bottle? What type/size cord is good to use? Should I start at the top or the bottom? Are there any sources that could be of help to me, books, people anything? Sorry, I know it's a lot to answer but any input would be greatly appreciated.
              > Tim G

            • Heather Twist
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
                The link doesn't work?

                On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM, davedoesknotwork <
                davedoesknotwork@...> wrote:

                > Tim,
                > I've got a lot of my bottles on my gallery on my website.
                > DaveDoesKnotWork.com
                >
                > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "tpgroleau@..." <tpgroleau@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello everyone, I'm a beginner to the knotting world but have a strong
                > interest in doing knotting on bottles. Would anyone have any suggestions. I
                > am most troubled on how to begin the bottle. Are there knots that I should
                > know and practice before attempting a bottle? What type/size cord is good
                > to use? Should I start at the top or the bottom? Are there any sources that
                > could be of help to me, books, people anything? Sorry, I know it's a lot to
                > answer but any input would be greatly appreciated.
                > > Tim G

                Heather Twist -- Seattle 7B
                http://eatingoffthefoodgrid.blogspot.com/

              • Heather Twist
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
                  This one works:

                  http://davedoesknotwork.tripod.com/davedoesknotwork/id5.html

                  Nice work!

                  On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Heather Twist <heathertwist@...>wrote:

                  > The link doesn't work?
                  >

                  > On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM, davedoesknotwork <
                  > davedoesknotwork@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Tim,
                  >> I've got a lot of my bottles on my gallery on my website.
                  >> DaveDoesKnotWork.com
                  >>
                  >> --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "tpgroleau@..." <tpgroleau@...> wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > Hello everyone, I'm a beginner to the knotting world but have a strong
                  >> interest in doing knotting on bottles. Would anyone have any suggestions. I
                  >> am most troubled on how to begin the bottle. Are there knots that I should
                  >> know and practice before attempting a bottle? What type/size cord is good
                  >> to use? Should I start at the top or the bottom? Are there any sources that
                  >> could be of help to me, books, people anything? Sorry, I know it's a lot to
                  >> answer but any input would be greatly appreciated.
                  >> > Tim G

                  > --
                  > Heather Twist -- Seattle 7B
                  > http://eatingoffthefoodgrid.blogspot.com/

                  --
                  Heather Twist -- Seattle 7B
                  http://eatingoffthefoodgrid.blogspot.com/

                • Kathlean
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
                    I used to always start my bottles with a turkshead at the neck, which acts as an anchor as I work my way down the rest of the bottle. At the bottom I will often use a star-knot of one sort or another, then come back up to the neck again with a handle (which also makes for a good way to conceal the ends of the rope). My preference is to do the entire piece with a single piece of cord, which usually blows people's minds. I've started using different techniques over time, but most are variations on the same basics.

                    http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/5354524/sn/886912411/name/Blue+Wrapped+bottle.jpg
                    Picture of one of my first bottles.
                    Good luck!

                    --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "tpgroleau@..." <tpgroleau@...> wrote:

                    > Hello everyone, I'm a beginner to the knotting world but have a strong interest in doing knotting on bottles. Would anyone have any suggestions. I am most troubled on how to begin the bottle. Are there knots that I should know and practice before attempting a bottle? What type/size cord is good to use? Should I start at the top or the bottom? Are there any sources that could be of help to me, books, people anything? Sorry, I know it's a lot to answer but any input would be greatly appreciated.
                    > Tim G

                  • ThreeLees1
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
                      I generally start by checking out my local liquor store to purchase a
                      bottle that has the right shape and contents. Shape is important for obvious
                      reasons. Contents is important because it is I that has to empty the
                      bottle. A 100+ proof Kentucky straight is preferred because of the way it flows
                      from the bottle when I put it to my lips. By the time the bottle is empty,
                      I can't remember which end to start at. If anybody needs help emptying
                      bottles, I am available. I work for aspirin.

                      Good luck...

                      Walter M. Seltzer
                      The Knot Knut
                      Creative Rope Designs