Queen Mary, Meeting 2013

  • tpgroleau@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2013
      I recently learned about the IGKT and that there was a local group
      IGKT-PAB. Looking around the web-sites I saw there was to be a meeting
      aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach Ca, only 30 minutes from my home. I
      thought what a great way to get an introduction. So I attended on
      Saturday, May 11th. I must say I had a GREAT time. It was wonderful to
      meet people from around the world (Great Britain, Australia, France,
      USA, Canada.....) sharing their enjoyment of this craft. I benefited
      from every conversation I had. Bruce, Jim, Jon, Jimmy, Glen, Cliff,
      Lindsey, John and so many others thank you all for your time and your
      enthusiasm. I especially would like to thank Glen for sitting with me,
      patiently, for hours (it truly was hours) so I could learn how to tie
      that key fob. I know he would have liked to have also been visiting with
      others, as did I. There was so much to be learned in such a short
      period of time. I honestly enjoyed learning to tie that knot though and
      did not look at it as a waste of time. Staring at those cords for hours
      trying to figure out what goes where was extremely mentally exhausting.
      I laughed at my self often for not being able to figure out how to
      complete a "simple" three step knot. Others with far, far more
      experienced than I had just as much trouble, which also made me chuckle,
      not at them, but at the fact that what appears to be so simple can be a
      great challenge, even for those with years of experience. I absolutely
      meant no disrespect. In fact it actually increased my respect for them
      and the craft. I would not say Knotting is a physical challenge, I would
      say it's a mental challenge.

      I look forward to learning more and meeting others in the future.

      Thank you all!

      Tim Groleau

      Orange County, Ca.
    • Matthew Beaudoin
      Message 2 of 5 , May 15, 2013
        Tim,
        I was unable to attend but had a very similar experience when 'they' met
        here in New Bedford, Mass. As a tactile learner, I have a rough time
        visualizing how a flat paper drawing translates into a 3 dimensional knot.
        I learned more at that first meeting than I had learned in the previous 15
        years. The people the guild attracts are some of the best, humblest people
        I know. I consider a number of them mentors and friends. I'm glad you had
        the same first impression and experience I did. I treasure any chance I can
        get to see knots being made by others, I think it is a key to continuing our
        craft.

        I have been kicking myself for not traveling to California, but the way my
        little knot shop has been the last 3 weeks, there was no way I could have
        afforded the time away from the shop. I hope other reports of the meeting
        were as good as yours, and I anxiously await seeing TONS of pictures of
        everyone's workmanship.

        Matt Beaudoin
        Mystic Knotwork 860.889.3793

        Message 3 of 5 , May 16, 2013
          Good morning everyone, I apologize for Knot being more active in the group but I work in DC and these day its tough! I would like to inform you of a potential meet place for the group. Its called Mount Harmon Plantation at Worlds End. Located in Cecil County Maryland on a beautiful 300+ acre estate. (See attached) If you are interested please let me know. r/Guy

          Guy Beckley
          PO Box 221
          Millington, MD 21651
          C 410-708-9585
          guycanfly3760@...

          Message 4 of 5 , May 16, 2013
            Tim and Matt,

            We have had many such statements from all those who were there - it is the chance, as you have said Matt, to meet others face to face and to be able to distill learning and knowledge in so many different ways.  I learned much, as I do with every visit with other knotters.  I also thank my lucky stars that I have been fortunate enough to have attended several knot-tying events like this.  Next year the AGM is to be in Chatham and we meet in the ropewalk.  Tim - it was really good to see you there and I hope we get to meet up again.  My thanks to all who were at the Queen Mary event!

            Lindsey
            President & Board Member IGKTPAB

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2013
              You are very welcome Tim and I hope we may look forward to seeing you at our next monthly meeting in San Pedro's Ports o' Call area next to Utro's restaurant.  I certainly enjoyed meeting with you and I hope that you are now wanting to tie some more!