Re: [KnotTyers] Re: U S Navy manuals online

  • charles jacobus
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 20, 2013
      Ahoy Boatswain Hensley;
      My BJM is the eleventh edition(1943). The marlinspike seamanship section is well illustrated.Different colors are used identify different strands used  om making wall and crowns and Mathew Walker bitter end securings. No back splices.
      While serving aboard the USS New Jersey(BB-62) before recommissioning I was ordered to remake the eye splice in the number1 Hawser which is 8 inch Manila. It took two seaman and I quite a long time. We used a Commander (a very large Fid) to open up the strands in order to pass thru the bitter ends  while making the tucks. When one tuck was made I pounded that part to make compact as I could.. This eye splice took about two hours to complete. It passed the Warrant Officers inspection.
      I once passed the word .... Will the Commander lay aloft to the Pilot House.
      An hour later I was being ripped by the Captain in his cabin.Ah Memories.
      I will CARRY ON.