RE: [KnotTyers] What cord is used for roman shades

  • Don Burrhus
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
      Ask for "blind cord" (as in venetian blinds) at R&W Rope Warehouse in New
      Bedford, Mass. Call them on the phone and ask for Bob Dollar. They have
      it in 100 foot spools and in bulk spools.

      Their phone numbers: (508) 995-1114 or (800) 260-8599
      http://www.rwrope.com/

      -Don B.

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
        Hi Gordon (and others)
        There are several (3-4?) manufacturers of braided nylon cording used in mini blinds and shades in the USA (I'm still hunting them down).
        I've found and purchased from an eBay seller (mowfugger) who often has large spools (1,000-3,000+ft/yds, some mixed color large spools) listed on ebay. He's located in North Carolina I believe.
        By doing an 'advanced search' on eBay you can find toward the bottom of list of options a place to search for sellers ID to see what they currently have for sale. The shipping can be pricey but if you watch his listings for reduced sale prices (relistings) - I find the prices easier to handle (grin).
        I find this cording listed as rope, string, cord, trout line,etc., but try other phrases like braided nylon, too.
        I have also purchased 'Handy Hundreds' from R & W Rope online in boxes of 25 spools (their choice of colors, but you can specify light colors or no dark ones, etc., because the darker colors leave behind some color on my hands and tools). The prices are great if you want a selection of colors.
        If anyone has found info on the mfgrs I would love that info :)
        Nancy Barnhart

        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "gmw" wrote:

        > Hello all
        > What type of cord is used to raise Roman Shades? Or put another way, "what type of cord information would I use to search the internet for the correct cord?"
        > I am thinking a generic cord would be the most cost effective.
        > The stores that sell Roman Shades do not sell the cord.
        > Gordon
      • fancnanc
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
          Opps - forgot to mention that eBayer 'mowfugger' sells many different sizes or diameters of cording also - .9mm up to 3.5mm (plus other non-related things to knotting). Nice to work with also/recommended highly! Nancy B
        • gmw
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2013
            Thank you to all who replied. I will be following up on this soon.

            Gordon

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "fancnanc" wrote:

            > Opps - forgot to mention that eBayer 'mowfugger' sells many different sizes or diameters of cording also - .9mm up to 3.5mm (plus other non-related things to knotting). Nice to work with also/recommended highly! Nancy B

          • ROB POWERS
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 10, 2013
              solid braid cotton traditional. solid braid nylon contemporary. size depends on load, but 3/16 or 1/4 should be sufficient.

            • Ken Gray
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
                handy 100 is what it's called.
                .9 1.4 and 1.8mm diam is what they have...feels great in the hand order a
                bunch.