What cord is used for roman shades

  • gmw
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2013
      Hello all

      What type of cord is used to raise Roman Shades? Or put another way, "what type of cord information would I use to search the internet for the correct cord?"

      I am thinking a generic cord would be the most cost effective.

      The stores that sell Roman Shades do not sell the cord.

      Gordon
    • Mad Charity Black
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
        You might try "mini blind cord."
        Chris

        To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
          Ask for "blind cord" (as in venetian blinds) at R&W Rope Warehouse in New
          Bedford, Mass. Call them on the phone and ask for Bob Dollar. They have
          it in 100 foot spools and in bulk spools.

          Their phone numbers: (508) 995-1114 or (800) 260-8599
          http://www.rwrope.com/

          -Don B.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
            Hi Gordon (and others)
            There are several (3-4?) manufacturers of braided nylon cording used in mini blinds and shades in the USA (I'm still hunting them down).
            I've found and purchased from an eBay seller (mowfugger) who often has large spools (1,000-3,000+ft/yds, some mixed color large spools) listed on ebay. He's located in North Carolina I believe.
            By doing an 'advanced search' on eBay you can find toward the bottom of list of options a place to search for sellers ID to see what they currently have for sale. The shipping can be pricey but if you watch his listings for reduced sale prices (relistings) - I find the prices easier to handle (grin).
            I find this cording listed as rope, string, cord, trout line,etc., but try other phrases like braided nylon, too.
            I have also purchased 'Handy Hundreds' from R & W Rope online in boxes of 25 spools (their choice of colors, but you can specify light colors or no dark ones, etc., because the darker colors leave behind some color on my hands and tools). The prices are great if you want a selection of colors.
            If anyone has found info on the mfgrs I would love that info :)
            Nancy Barnhart

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "gmw" wrote:

            > Hello all
            > What type of cord is used to raise Roman Shades? Or put another way, "what type of cord information would I use to search the internet for the correct cord?"
            > I am thinking a generic cord would be the most cost effective.
            > The stores that sell Roman Shades do not sell the cord.
            > Gordon
          • fancnanc
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
              Opps - forgot to mention that eBayer 'mowfugger' sells many different sizes or diameters of cording also - .9mm up to 3.5mm (plus other non-related things to knotting). Nice to work with also/recommended highly! Nancy B
            • gmw
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2013
                Thank you to all who replied. I will be following up on this soon.

                Gordon

                --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "fancnanc" wrote:

                > Opps - forgot to mention that eBayer 'mowfugger' sells many different sizes or diameters of cording also - .9mm up to 3.5mm (plus other non-related things to knotting). Nice to work with also/recommended highly! Nancy B

              • ROB POWERS
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 10, 2013
                  solid braid cotton traditional. solid braid nylon contemporary. size depends on load, but 3/16 or 1/4 should be sufficient.

                • Ken Gray
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
                    handy 100 is what it's called.
                    .9 1.4 and 1.8mm diam is what they have...feels great in the hand order a
                    bunch.