U S Navy manuals online

  • Peter W Hennessey
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2013
      Hi All,

      In view of the furore over spam lately I would like to reassure you all that this is not a spam message.

      I have been searching the web for a decent image of a moused shackle, and stumbled on this site which hosts a number of US Navy manuals which can be downloaded and saved in individual chapters as pdf files.

      The ones I have found most interesting so far are "steelworker vol 2" ch 4,5 & 6, at

      http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/navy/nrtc/14251_ch4.pdf

      http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/navy/nrtc/14251_ch5.pdf

      http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/navy/nrtc/14251_ch6.pdf

      and "Seaman" Ch3 at http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/navy/nrtc/14067_ch3.pdf

      I suppose that most of this stuff is well known to you, but I think it's interesting, so please enjoy it too. Just don't blame me if the heavies come chasing your ass.

      All the best, Peter H.
    • charles jacobus
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
        Ahoy Pete ...I have read most of the various articles you sent.
                           Firstly,they are not US Navy publications.
                           I noticed many items that the US Navy did not use in that matter.
                           One in particular is the backsplice/ When a backsplice is increases the
                           width of it. It could jam the block if it were passed thru like a fairlead.
                           Regarding the mousing of a block.
                           I have done the following many times. Seiizing wire was passed thru the eye
                           of the bolt and passed around the main part of the shackle. Never copper wire.
                           Mousing of a hook is quite different.
                           Charlie ... Retired Bosun, Us Navy

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
          Hi Charlie,

          Interesting they aren't Navy, I certainly got the impression from the site that they were, but I bow to your experience. The site is http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/navy/nrtc/ . It's not an official Navy site but you can see why i thought the docs were.Agree about the backsplice, I cannot see any good reason for using it, a whipping is far better. I have now moused my anchor shackle with Monel seizing wire in a figure eight pattern, 4 passes. will post a photo soon. Would you do f8 or plain round?

          Regards, Peter H, Retired Jointer / Linesman, Electricity supply industry.

          Sent from an iPad

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
            Hi Pete ... Thanks for the reply.I would suggest you use both. Four passes.
            I will guess that you have a large boat.
            I am having much trouble finding the Yahoo Groups list. Need help!!
            Bear in mind that the strain is on the shackle itself and not on the shackle pin.
            Happy rigging,
            Charlie

            You can email me at  battleship_62@...

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
              Hi Charlie,

              Thanks, next time I'll do it like that. The boat is a 62" steel narrowboat on the English canals. I need an anchor for rivers and estuarine passages in case of emergency, it won't be in routine use so may never actually get wet. Like insurance, you hope you never have to use it! Nonetheless it's a 20kg Dutch pattern with 10m of 10mm ø tested chain and 20m of 16mm 8 plait warp, cos when you need it, you need it! Water depth never more than 5m or so. It's a 12mm ø shackle. I'm using an interwoven rope/chain splice, the one Brion Toss calls the shovel splice, just because I want to do one for interests sake. Photos to follow when finished.

              Generally you can find the yahoo list by clicking on the link below that says 'reply as web post'. You will need a yahoo I.D. , account, and password, I assume you have those? Log in and there you should have it! Hope that helps,

              Regards, Peter.

              Sent from an iPad

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
                Or even better the one that says 'visit your group' in tiny writing just under "recent activity"

                On 3 Feb 2013, at 09:45, Peter Hennessey <peterwhennessey@...> wrote:

                Generally you can find the yahoo list by clicking on the link below that says 'reply as web post'.

              • crackerjackbingo
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
                  Anyone interested in US Navy marlinspike work and instructions should find copies of the Bluejackets Manual editions from the pre WWII years, which would be 14th edition or earlier. I went through booc camp in Great Lakes in 1951 and we spent half a day each week for about 5 weeks on Marlinespike Seamanship and most of the knots we worked on were in the Bluejackets Manual. I own several of them, different editions from different years.
                  R. Hensley former Aviation Boatswain's Mate 3/c and lifetime knot tyer

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 20, 2013
                    Ahoy Boatswain Hensley;
                    My BJM is the eleventh edition(1943). The marlinspike seamanship section is well illustrated.Different colors are used identify different strands used  om making wall and crowns and Mathew Walker bitter end securings. No back splices.
                    While serving aboard the USS New Jersey(BB-62) before recommissioning I was ordered to remake the eye splice in the number1 Hawser which is 8 inch Manila. It took two seaman and I quite a long time. We used a Commander (a very large Fid) to open up the strands in order to pass thru the bitter ends  while making the tucks. When one tuck was made I pounded that part to make compact as I could.. This eye splice took about two hours to complete. It passed the Warrant Officers inspection.
                    I once passed the word .... Will the Commander lay aloft to the Pilot House.
                    An hour later I was being ripped by the Captain in his cabin.Ah Memories.
                    I will CARRY ON.
                    Charlie