RE: [KnotTyers] finishing off a turks head

  • Matthew Beaudoin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
      For our volume bracelet work we use an industrial hot glue adhesive, but for
      the mats and more finely finished we do one of the following:

      For mats, a constrictor knot tied in each finish end, shift the knot back
      over one of the middle passes of the weave below and cinch in place. Cut
      all but 1/2" of the excess rope Take one end of the constrictor and stab it
      through the adjacent passes and the other catch some of the fibers of the
      crossing rope below. Do this to both sides and use a surgeon's square knot
      and a touch of duco cement before cutting close

      For bracelets and similar: cut the cord with about 12" of extra cord,
      temporary seizing at the end point of the knot, fray back the 3 strands to
      the seizing, then stich each of the 3 strands through the gaps in the
      adjacent passes as though you were splicing repeating on both sides. I
      don't do it this way often, but passing each side through to the other,
      offsetting by one twist and going back then pulling taught and clipping
      short seemed to hold up pretty well...

      I'm sure there are other ways, but that is how I do them when 'I'm taking it
      seriously.'

      Matt Beaudoin
      Mystic Knotwork 860.889.3793
      Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
      Trees are for boats. Think before you print

      From: tim@...
      Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:07:02 -0500

      Hey bowshooter513,

      On Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:18:33 AM my MUA thinks you wrote:

      > when I make a turks head bracelet i usually just use a square knot

      > to finish it. i havent really been able to figure out a different

      > way that doesnt leave an awkward knot placement somewhere. anyone

      > have any suggestions for how to finish the knot without doing a

      > square knot or leaving a bulge somewhere on it.

      Seizing (in this case, essentially whipping two lines together) the

      end to the standing part it finishes next to is common.

      --

      Lists

      Flying with The Bat! eMail v5.2.2

      As I said before, I never repeat myself.