Re: [KnotTyers] finishing off a turks head

  • Tim Musson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
      Hey bowshooter513,

      On Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:18:33 AM my MUA thinks you wrote:

      > when I make a turks head bracelet i usually just use a square knot
      > to finish it. i havent really been able to figure out a different
      > way that doesnt leave an awkward knot placement somewhere. anyone
      > have any suggestions for how to finish the knot without doing a
      > square knot or leaving a bulge somewhere on it.

      Seizing (in this case, essentially whipping two lines together) the
      end to the standing part it finishes next to is common.

      --
      Lists
      Flying with The Bat! eMail v5.2.2
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
        For synthetic cord, I melt the ends and glue the ending section (hidden below the finished knot) to the strands above. Glue it and clamp it until dry seems to work well. Haven't had failures of which I am aware. Cotton cord requires more work to seize the ends but can be glued as above just as well. Also, sewing the end strands together before gluing helps hold it together.

        Bill

        To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com
        From: tim@...
        Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:07:02 -0500
        Subject: Re: [KnotTyers] finishing off a turks head

        Hey bowshooter513,

        On Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:18:33 AM my MUA thinks you wrote:

        > when I make a turks head bracelet i usually just use a square knot

        > to finish it. i havent really been able to figure out a different

        > way that doesnt leave an awkward knot placement somewhere. anyone

        > have any suggestions for how to finish the knot without doing a

        > square knot or leaving a bulge somewhere on it.

        Seizing (in this case, essentially whipping two lines together) the

        end to the standing part it finishes next to is common.

        --

        Lists

        Flying with The Bat! eMail v5.2.2

        As I said before, I never repeat myself.

      • Matthew Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
          For our volume bracelet work we use an industrial hot glue adhesive, but for
          the mats and more finely finished we do one of the following:

          For mats, a constrictor knot tied in each finish end, shift the knot back
          over one of the middle passes of the weave below and cinch in place. Cut
          all but 1/2" of the excess rope Take one end of the constrictor and stab it
          through the adjacent passes and the other catch some of the fibers of the
          crossing rope below. Do this to both sides and use a surgeon's square knot
          and a touch of duco cement before cutting close

          For bracelets and similar: cut the cord with about 12" of extra cord,
          temporary seizing at the end point of the knot, fray back the 3 strands to
          the seizing, then stich each of the 3 strands through the gaps in the
          adjacent passes as though you were splicing repeating on both sides. I
          don't do it this way often, but passing each side through to the other,
          offsetting by one twist and going back then pulling taught and clipping
          short seemed to hold up pretty well...

          I'm sure there are other ways, but that is how I do them when 'I'm taking it
          seriously.'

          Matt Beaudoin
          Mystic Knotwork 860.889.3793
          Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
          Trees are for boats. Think before you print

          From: tim@...
          Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:07:02 -0500