finishing off a turks head

  • bowshooter513
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
      I'm sure somewhere there was already a thread about good easy ways to finish off a turks head knot, but preparing this ship for departure hasn't allotted me much time to look around.

      when I make a turks head bracelet i usually just use a square knot to finish it. i havent really been able to figure out a different way that doesnt leave an awkward knot placement somewhere. anyone have any suggestions for how to finish the knot without doing a square knot or leaving a bulge somewhere on it.

      same thing for making plaits? with natural line how do you normally finish off an ocean plait or turks head plait?

      Thank you,
      Tor J.
    • Ken Gray
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
        if it's not going to be held in place via friction, I just sew them in
        place on the underside (turks and plaits).

        On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM, bowshooter513 <bowshooter513@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I'm sure somewhere there was already a thread about good easy ways to
        > finish off a turks head knot, but preparing this ship for departure hasn't
        > allotted me much time to look around.
        >
        > when I make a turks head bracelet i usually just use a square knot to
        > finish it. i havent really been able to figure out a different way that
        > doesnt leave an awkward knot placement somewhere. anyone have any
        > suggestions for how to finish the knot without doing a square knot or
        > leaving a bulge somewhere on it.
        >
        > same thing for making plaits? with natural line how do you normally finish
        > off an ocean plait or turks head plait?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Tor J.

      • Tim Musson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
          Hey bowshooter513,

          On Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:18:33 AM my MUA thinks you wrote:

          > when I make a turks head bracelet i usually just use a square knot
          > to finish it. i havent really been able to figure out a different
          > way that doesnt leave an awkward knot placement somewhere. anyone
          > have any suggestions for how to finish the knot without doing a
          > square knot or leaving a bulge somewhere on it.

          Seizing (in this case, essentially whipping two lines together) the
          end to the standing part it finishes next to is common.

          --
          Lists
          Flying with The Bat! eMail v5.2.2
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
            For synthetic cord, I melt the ends and glue the ending section (hidden below the finished knot) to the strands above. Glue it and clamp it until dry seems to work well. Haven't had failures of which I am aware. Cotton cord requires more work to seize the ends but can be glued as above just as well. Also, sewing the end strands together before gluing helps hold it together.

            Bill

            To: knottyers@yahoogroups.com
            From: tim@...
            Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:07:02 -0500
            Subject: Re: [KnotTyers] finishing off a turks head

            Hey bowshooter513,

            On Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:18:33 AM my MUA thinks you wrote:

            > when I make a turks head bracelet i usually just use a square knot

            > to finish it. i havent really been able to figure out a different

            > way that doesnt leave an awkward knot placement somewhere. anyone

            > have any suggestions for how to finish the knot without doing a

            > square knot or leaving a bulge somewhere on it.

            Seizing (in this case, essentially whipping two lines together) the

            end to the standing part it finishes next to is common.

            --

            Lists

            Flying with The Bat! eMail v5.2.2

            As I said before, I never repeat myself.

          • Matthew Beaudoin
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
              For our volume bracelet work we use an industrial hot glue adhesive, but for
              the mats and more finely finished we do one of the following:

              For mats, a constrictor knot tied in each finish end, shift the knot back
              over one of the middle passes of the weave below and cinch in place. Cut
              all but 1/2" of the excess rope Take one end of the constrictor and stab it
              through the adjacent passes and the other catch some of the fibers of the
              crossing rope below. Do this to both sides and use a surgeon's square knot
              and a touch of duco cement before cutting close

              For bracelets and similar: cut the cord with about 12" of extra cord,
              temporary seizing at the end point of the knot, fray back the 3 strands to
              the seizing, then stich each of the 3 strands through the gaps in the
              adjacent passes as though you were splicing repeating on both sides. I
              don't do it this way often, but passing each side through to the other,
              offsetting by one twist and going back then pulling taught and clipping
              short seemed to hold up pretty well...

              I'm sure there are other ways, but that is how I do them when 'I'm taking it
              seriously.'

              Matt Beaudoin
              Mystic Knotwork 860.889.3793
              Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
              Trees are for boats. Think before you print

              From: tim@...
              Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:07:02 -0500